Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Lets also remember that was before vaccines, boosters, vaccine requirements, testing, and people who have ready had COVID.  The medical world was just figuring out what Covid was.  We are not back in March 2020. 

History can repeat itself which may be happening on the Ruby.  Let's remember that only 62% of US population is vaccinated and Princess does allow a certain number of unvaccinated passengers on its' ships.

If things were so great then Princess should not have passengers whose vacations and lives are being up-ended by catching Covid on their ships and then leaving them to deal with the aftermath on their own.  

Let's not forget that this is happening now because they changed their protocols recently and are not really preventing the spread as they did with more stringent health protocols in place.  

Not to mention numbers are up dramatically worldwide again with the new BA.2 sub-variant and the virus is still mutating and infecting people whether they re vaccinated or not so Princess may have a lot more to deal with then they bargained for.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

Any advice for those of us sailing soon? Is there some areas that you think I should better protect myself?

Not sure someone who got it is the best place to go for advice, lol!  We wore masks almost all the time, removing them only to eat or if we were outside. We avoided the crowded shows in the theater but did go to the enrichment lectures which were half full at most. I hung out in a lounger by the pool a couple of afternoon on the sea days back but since it was outside I thought it would be okay. But maybe not. 

I can't pinpoint exactly when I got it but I can say that mask wearing steadily decreased over the course of the cruise and by the end there was lots of coughing.  No social distancing at all. Elevators full of unmasked passengers. I probably picked it up monday- tuesday of the second week but don't remember a specific place or activity that seemed problematic. I know on the last morning the passenger sitting next to us at breakfast complained she "had a cold."  But I already had it by then, just didn't know it.   My gut feeling is the dining room was an issue since everyone, including us unfortunately, was unmasked. 

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I also think testing at the terminal is so much better at mitigating a high number of cases on board than 2 or 3 days before.

Then they should offer free testing there! I agree with you.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, pompeii said:

My gut feeling is the dining room was an issue since everyone, including us unfortunately, was unmasked. 

Thank you for your comments. I am already worried about eating venues. That is my main thought also.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

If things were so great then Princess should not have passengers whose vacations and lives are being up-ended by catching Covid on their ships and then leaving them to deal with the aftermath on their own.  

Who is responsible for the disruption experienced for someone who is exposed to Covid at the grocery store? Or at a restaurant? Ot at a sports stadium with thousands of fans? Many  who, as you note, are not vaccinated, may not be tested, and are likely not wearing a mask?

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, voljeep said:

When is the RUBY 'scheduled' to dock in SF ?

Last text from my friend onboard who has friends in quarantine said they were notified they were disembarking at 7:30am before the general passengers. I have heard nothing more but, ship is docked in San Fransisco now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Optotronics said:

Dinner arrived, but they seen to never get it right or leave out a critical component, like bringing our dinner with 1 set of silverware, lucky we had an old fork from lunch.

I know they are scrambling and one doesn’t know what the other does or doesn’t.

crew chat told us that we have to call the hotel and make reservations. So we do and the person at the hotel said they had 2 large groups booked already and it has to be done through princess. So had to call back. It’s all taken care of now, after we put down $1000 deposit for our stay by credit card. They said they would provide vans and or ambulance to transfer us. I did get them to remove medical charges for either the tests they for calling the nurse for advice not sure.

all we need to do is figure out airlines flights and someone who can care for our pets for 5 days.

we have the water and ice and just finished dinner and put our bags out.

I was so looking forward to this cruise and having such fun and good times. Maybe I’ll wake up in the morning and find out we are just about emBark on this cruise and it was just a bad dream… I wish.

Hoping today is a better day for you.  Please keep us posted about how you're doing!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

Sky, passenger mike on fb posted they got letter over 100 in quarantine now as they approach Southampton March 28 th.

If accurate, that is very disturbing. There are probably others who have Covid but have no symptoms.

This points to the need for mid-cruise testing of all passengers on a longer cruise such as this one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

May I ask where you saw that a letter was given to passengers on the Majestic? The reason I ask is there has been a Live thread for the past 2 weeks on the Majestic and there was no mention of the mask letter being given to those passengers. I’m tagging the OP of the Live thread in hopes that she can confirm if the passengers received such letter prior to yesterday’s disembarkation. @jwattle

We received no notification of any sort on Majestic I also just checked email: nothing post-disembarkation either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

You are not confined in a grocery store, restaurant or sports stadium and do not sign a contract with them.   Princess is responsible for the well being of its guests.

That's NOT what you signed to get on-board  (Caps are Princess not me)

YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT, DUE TO THE NATURE OF SPREAD OF COVID-19, THE RISK OF EXPOSURES TO THESE COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES AND OTHERS ARE INHERENT IN MOST ACTIVITIES WHERE PEOPLE INTERACT OR SHARE COMMON FACILITIES, ARE BEYOND THE CARRIER’S CONTROL, AND CANNOT BE ELIMINATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.  YOU KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT THESE RISKS AS PART OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, INCLUDING THE RISK OF SERIOUS ILLNESS OR DEATH ARISING FROM SUCH EXPOSURES, AND/OR ALL RELATED DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS AND EXPENSES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have read several reports of this happening. We travel with a  well-stocked stash of OTC medication. Which now includes Covid self-tests. 

I'm apparently not the only one who would rather quarantine in the room I chose!! Its been years since I've had a cold ..... which OTC to pack?

Before I'm flamed, I've cruised during Delta, OmicronA, and live 20 miles from the port. So yeah, quarantine in my nice balcony room then at home where I can just hop my fence to be in a state preserve. Won't expose others (our area is 86% vaxed but only 56% boosted so I could get it / spread it anywhere)

Edited by Ombud
Typo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

That same letter is alerting passengers to the same issues on the Sky, Grand , Majestic& Ruby  right now.  Covid is on the spread. Sky, passenger mike on fb posted they got letter over 100 in quarantine now as they approach Southampton March 28 th.

3 hours ago, pompeii said:

I just got off the Grand and tested positive at home yesterday morning, the day after disembarkation. So I'm not at all surprised that Grand passengers are getting the letter. The lack of testing, masking and distancing was disappointing, and it is showing in the increasing numbers. 

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

May I ask where you saw that a letter was given to passengers on the Majestic? The reason I ask is there has been a Live thread for the past 2 weeks on the Majestic and there was no mention of the mask letter being given to those passengers. I’m tagging the OP of the Live thread in hopes that she can confirm if the passengers received such letter prior to yesterday’s disembarkation. @jwattle

16 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We received no notification of any sort on Majestic I also just checked email: nothing post-disembarkation either.

im on the Grand and I did not receive a letter.  General Hotel Manager made no mention of the Grand being in distress.  I’m sure there are cases on board, but it has not impacted me…yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

There is something not quite right in this entire thread. There have been no other reports like this on cruise boards. CC members on the Grand and Majestic report that they received no such information and there have been no news reports. Have to be at least a little skeptical about this report

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is something not quite right in this entire thread. There have been no other reports like this on cruise boards. CC members on the Grand and Majestic report that they received no such information and there have been no news reports. Have to be at least a little skeptical about this report

Are Grand and Majestic alternate names for Ruby? I ask because the thread title indicates the discussion is about an "outbreak" on the Ruby. 

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

I’m not sure what further proof you need that the sky is blue and the grass green.  Whether or not outbreak is the correct word can be debated, but there has definitely been an elevated number of COVID cases on board the Ruby Princess. The captain’s letter states as much.  I don’t think anyone has claimed that the news needed to be notified. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m not sure what further proof you need that the sky is blue and the grass green.  Whether or not outbreak is the correct word can be debated, but there has definitely been an elevated number of COVID cases on board the Ruby Princess. The captain’s letter states as much.  I don’t think anyone has claimed that the news needed to be notified. 

The main point I am referencing is the inaccurate reports of outbreaks on other ships which to me is like yelling fire in a theater 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

That's NOT what you signed to get on-board  (Caps are Princess not me)

YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT, DUE TO THE NATURE OF SPREAD OF COVID-19, THE RISK OF EXPOSURES TO THESE COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES AND OTHERS ARE INHERENT IN MOST ACTIVITIES WHERE PEOPLE INTERACT OR SHARE COMMON FACILITIES, ARE BEYOND THE CARRIER’S CONTROL, AND CANNOT BE ELIMINATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.  YOU KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT THESE RISKS AS PART OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, INCLUDING THE RISK OF SERIOUS ILLNESS OR DEATH ARISING FROM SUCH EXPOSURES, AND/OR ALL RELATED DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS AND EXPENSES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER.

Legally irrelevant because passengers on cruise ships mostly do not realize that they relinquish all of their rights when they sign the contract of carriage but cruise lines still lose plenty of cases in courts.  They are at fault for many things and held accountable by the courts. 

8 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Legally irrelevant because passengers on cruise ships mostly do not realize that they relinquish all of their rights when they sign the contract of carriage but cruise lines still lose plenty of cases in courts.  They are at fault for many things and held accountable by the courts. 

In the specific case of Covid-19, I don't think the statement is at all 'largely irrelevant'.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We made it to our hotel, but no real lockdown/quarantine just honest system I guess.

they gathered all of us early and my wife counted over 100 of us. Saw a port person from customs I suppose took a picture of the crowd.

if we had under 1600 onboard and 100 sick sent off then that’s a pretty high percentage.

As we were walking down aloha we heard someone call out from their state room the they were staying on for Hawaii…is that allowed? Maybe after their 5 days in quarantine they can go back on deck.

im feeling a little better today.

I found from others that they were able to order food and drink from the app. This wasn’t available to us as our room was registered to another passenger and they couldn’t fix it. Medallion has a way to go yet, still lots of bugs in it.

I hope the cdc does a real investigation.

we never went thru customs or even had to show a passport, they just whisked us thru to the curb.. so smugglers take note;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Please list the cases cruise lines lost in court?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1