Cococay - First day or last day?

I never actually start threads here, but we're looking to book a cruise for next summer and my party has been debating whether to have Cococay be the first or last stop on the cruise. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both... would love to hear others opinions.

First Day

Pro - great way to start vacation with a relaxing beach/pool day, no planning needed to start the vacation

Con - Coming straight from the stress of life its nice for this to be later in the vacation to truly appreciate the relaxation

Last Day

Pro - After a full cruise of entertainment, excursions, and island hopping, its a nice decompression before going back to reality

Con - Afterwards will need to pack for home which (depending on your group) may cut the island time down by a few hours

Another personal preference question but you asked so...

I would personally prioritize NOT cutting down my time on Cococay to pack. We enjoy Cococay.  So day 1 for me (that's really day 2 btw but I obv knew what you meant).

GL with the decision.

P.S. I'd also rather go on day 2 so I can eat as many funnel cakes as possible. By day 7 I'll have gained 10 lbs. (humorous but also true 🤣)

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

it doesn't take me "a few hours" to pack up a family of 3 for the trip home. An hour max. Plus, we were done with all the beach activities by about 3 pm and had to go back to the ship for the kid's antigen test anyway.

Since I tend to have horrible stress induced migraines in the first 1-3 days of the cruise, I would be inclined to choose a cruise with a sea day as day 2. However, I don't choose cruises based on the timing of the stops - they can change at any time anyway, and we are not flexible on timing (limited to school breaks only).

The funnel cakes were awesome. We all had 2 each. I had one while floating in the ocean (on a floatie)... Paradise.

• Like 1

Interesting question. Having done both, I'd prefer day 1.   I want a full sea day for my last cruise day,  for maximum relaxation before getting back to real life. 

As for packing, we walk off with our luggage so there is no rush to get our suitcases outside the door. That's not even a concern.

I’d go with the first day. For several reasons. 
1) The possibility  of catching something onboard and you spending your last day in quarantine. Better to be in quarantine on a sea day rather than your Coco Cay day. 
2) The possibility of the ship having to return home early. Several weeks ago, a RCCL ship (can’t remember which one) had to return early due to a medical emergency. As a result, they had to skip their final stop, Coco Cay. 

No preference.  Whenever it is scheduled is whenever we will be there.  Just like any other port of call.

Regarding packing, we place each day's worn clothing in our suitcase(s) every day so that by the end of the cruise, we are 90% packed.  Packing for us on the last day is only a matter of toiletries and last minute items.  Never interferes with any last day activities.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Day 1 100% just incase the ship can't stop there because of heavy seas...........this gives them a chance to maybe  reschedule for the last day if there is room on the island for your ship.

If it's scheduled for last day of your cruise and the weather is bad and you can't dock, you are SOL for Coco Cay.

Edited by Jimbo

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No preference.  Whenever it is scheduled is whenever we will be there.  Just like any other port of call.

Regarding packing, we place each day's worn clothing in our suitcase(s) every day so that by the end of the cruise, we are 90% packed.  Packing for us on the last day is only a matter of toiletries and last minute items, and preparing our carry on with clothes to wear home.  Never interferes with any last day activities.

This is genius.  I'm going to try this next time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rdtpm64 said:

This is genius.  I'm going to try this next time.

Not sure where we first got the idea (although I'm certain my wife will confirm that it was her idea - and I of course will agree. LOL) but we have been doing this for years.  Takes only a few minutes each day and saves a lot of time on the last night.  

• Like 1

I agree with first day.... the "con" of not appreciating it because it is too soon after the stress of life will not happen, if anything it makes you appreciate it even more. As for the "pro" of last day being a time to decompress, that is just as easy on a sea day since you can lounge around the pool or anywhere else on the ship, pack at your leisure and relax.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Regarding packing, we place each day's worn clothing in our suitcase(s) every day so that by the end of the cruise, we are 90% packed.  Packing for us on the last day is only a matter of toiletries and last minute items.  Never interferes with any last day activities.

This is amazing! You get to the end of the cruise and have no unworn clothes to pack??!!  My wife needs lessons from you!

4 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

This is amazing! You get to the end of the cruise and have no unworn clothes to pack??!!  My wife needs lessons from you!

I use a similar method on non-laundromat cruise ships like RC.... one suitcase is designated "dirty clothes" and the other is "clean clothes and everything else."

Our next vacation has us one week on Regal Princess, eight days in Greece (with a washing machine in our rental) and 12 days Anthem transatlantic.  I only anticipate packing for 12 days since we will have laundry service more than half of the trip.  At the end of the transatlantic, both suitcases will probably be deemed "dirty."

48 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I never quite said that - LOL.  We typically take a couple of beach towels from our C&A tier gifts and save any clean clothes for the last suitcase.  We then put one of the towels over the dirty and put the clean on top.  Usually have a few unworn things but that - or our carry on - works for us in packing them. (And truth be told on our last couple of cruises I was the more guilty party with that). 🙂

But this system works for us - your results may vary.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

For us it is always 4-5 day of 7-8 days cruise (out of Bayonne, NJ) so it does not matter, but I generally prefer to have #2 day of cruise to be a sea day. It is relaxing... I love to have slow breakfast.

We always disembark at the end of our cruise with our own luggage, so packing can happen any time. Even on the last morning sometimes.

Edited by Tatka

6 hours ago, rbschultz said:

I never actually start threads here, but we're looking to book a cruise for next summer and my party has been debating whether to have Cococay be the first or last stop on the cruise. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both... would love to hear others opinions.

First Day

Pro - great way to start vacation with a relaxing beach/pool day, no planning needed to start the vacation

Con - Coming straight from the stress of life its nice for this to be later in the vacation to truly appreciate the relaxation

Last Day

Pro - After a full cruise of entertainment, excursions, and island hopping, its a nice decompression before going back to reality

Con - Afterwards will need to pack for home which (depending on your group) may cut the island time down by a few hours

Last day..and why should it take multiple hours to pack, 20 minutes max.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Last day..and why should it take multiple hours to pack, 20 minutes max.

20 minutes for me (I also fold and put dirty close in suitcase or empty closet shelf as we go)

60 minutes if traveling with wife

2 hours if traveling with daughter

I still have some sanity left so have not tried cruising with both