It is summertime and the kids are back...

This is all interesting. My Dad (now deceased, retired NYPD detective at the time), had a condo in Florida and a co-op apt. in NY. He went to a lot of spring training baseball games in Florida.  Some mom was horrified because her kids gut mustard on my Dad's clothes during a game. My Dad said "Don't worry. I have six children."  

Stuff happens, accidental or not. The singing in the elevator thing sounds funny to me.  Some things in life are not really that important, unless something truly inappropriate and wrong being done. 

😉

• Like 3

We set pretty high expectations on our kids’ behavior (well always but especially) in public settings. And I hate the idea of anytime my kids might be an annoyance or negatively impact someone else’s experiences. Traveling with parents is a privilege in our household, as we could just as easily send them to grandma’s house for the week and take a vacation (as we sometimes do).

THAT SAID, kids the last two years have had a hell of a time man. My kids have gone from remote learning to hybrid learning to in-person. They get school and activities cancelled because there’s not enough substitutes in the school or people to drive the busses. My son’s junior high school had some very bad behavioral issues this year. And I do think it manifests differently in some kids and maybe for some, this is their first vacation in a couple years, so I’m willing to accept some general orneriness and understanding that they are just having fun. Of course, there’s a fine line between what might be fun for kids and what is annoying or negatively impacting other cruise goers.

I wouldn’t let my kids engage in what the OP discusses, just because I know for some people—that’s annoying. But on the grand scheme of what children have endured during the pandemic, I would understand it’s pretty harmless. But if this is something that bothers you, I would definitely say pick another time to cruise.

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Any kid who happened to be on an elevator or other public space with us returned our greetings, spoke actual words, and usually said something like "enjoy your day" as we parted, or stepped aside to let us step out first.  I was astounded and impressed.

it happened to me on the Allure! I have an unfortunate habit of talking to strangers against their will, so I made an effort not to ambush some poor teen who was riding in an elevator with me at some point with pointless talk. Imagine my shock when he suddenly said "enjoy your day" as he exited the elevator. I was floored!!!! Didn't expect that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

We are tame this summer.  Just two homes.  This one...a very eclectic 20s style summer cottage on the ocean for 3 weeks.  Then on to a more modern (with great kitchen) place on a lake near Bucksport for 2 months.  

Ooops...off topic.  😮  

Umm...OK...no screaming kids here.  😄 😄 

Enjoy😃   got your bird feeders?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am cruising for the first tine with a child (10 yo granddaughter).  She said something to me about celebrating her first cruise by running through the halls.  I quickly stopped that & said no way.  You will behave or spend time in the cabin. AO time will be limited.  She said ok because we let her know what our expectations are.  We as adults have to let them know what their limits are & enforce them.  We enjoy being with them & watching them have fun but not at the expense of other passengers.  

On a couple of cruises I have almost been knocked down by kids running close to me.  So I have or will be on both sides of this debate.  

BTW I love my granddaughter & am treating her to this cruise.  Your welcome, Hailey!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, PTAngel said:

On a couple of cruises I have almost been knocked down by kids running close to me.  So I have or will be on both sides of this debate.  

I’ve already mentioned we cruise exclusively when kids are out of school since my wife is a teacher & they really don’t bother us.

That said, on my recent Harmony cruise, a group of 4 kids thought the most entertaining activity on board was not the water slides, the pools, AO, or the sports court but rather racing each other up and down the stairs at full speed. I just kept thinking how it eventually would not end well for one of them, a passerby, or both.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I’ve already mentioned we cruise exclusively when kids are out of school since my wife is a teacher & they really don’t bother us.

That said, on my recent Harmony cruise, a group of 4 kids thought the most entertaining activity on board was not the water slides, the pools, AO, or the sports court but rather racing each other up and down the stairs at full speed. I just kept thinking how it eventually would not end well for one of them, a passerby, or both.

And then the lawsuit..............

• Like 2

Kids will be kids and after the last few years will need to let of steam. HOWEVER not on a cruise ship, by all means have fun but when poor behaviour effects others, i include adults and childrens poor behaviour then it needs to be stopped. 

Have fun but there is a time and place for wild behaviour.

• Like 12

I am totally surprised at some adults actually condoning and excusing this behavior!  

Yes kids will be kids and yes they do need to blow off steam but that needs to be done with appropriate activities such as swimming, rock climbing, flow rider, teen club activities etc. not running wild and taking over public spaces that are sometimes used by older fragile passengers.

Our children really need to learn to have respect and compassion for others!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I am totally surprised at some adults actually condoning and excusing this behavior!  

Yes kids will be kids and yes they do need to blow off steam but that needs to be done with appropriate activities such as swimming, rock climbing, flow rider, teen club activities etc. not running wild and taking over public spaces that are sometimes used by older fragile passengers.

Our children really need to learn to have respect and compassion for others!!!

As a parent of 2 young kids I agree 100%. It's gonna take some time though as they have all just been set back over 2 years in their development. It takes a village.......and that village needs to have some patience and empathy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

As a parent of 2 young kids I agree 100%. It's gonna take some time though as they have all just been set back over 2 years in their development. It takes a village.......and that village needs to have some patience and empathy. 

As a parent of two educators (one is a principal) and a grandparent of two young ladies I can only go by how they handle their students and children.  I can only say my granddaughters would have NEVER been allowed to act like that under any circumstances.  

They are many different ways of guiding and helping our young people to adapt from the previous two horrible years other than letting them conduct themselves inappropriately.  

It is our job to always guide them and help them find those ways…

• Like 9

Ugh.  We usually don’t cruise in the summer for this reason and the fact that prices are higher.  But we got a suite deal for July during the double points offer.  Pun intended.  

We will be spending a lot of time in our cabin and the solarium. 

• Like 1

I was on a cruise in August once where the kids were so unruly that the captain had to do daily announcements "reminding" the kids - and the parents of kids, I guess - not to run in the corridors and stairways. Literally a minute after one of these announcements, a child who was with a parent, sprinted around a corner into the corridor and nearly knocked over my mum, and a lady walking behind her who was on crutches. I'm all for kids having fun but not when that fun threatens to hurt other people. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Read the rest, it changes quickly.

Yeah,  I get that but the initial feeling of being "horrified" baffles me. I mean, Royal advertises itself as the family friendly line, people should be expecting to see lots of kids onboard. 

• Like 3

I'm always amazed that people have such low expectations for kids.  The behavior that kids exhibit is directly correlated with the expectations their parents have for them.  Don't expect much, you won't get much.  Your lack of expectation breeds contempt.  That contempt manifests itself in the behavior most find distasteful. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

As a parent of two educators (one is a principal) and a grandparent of two young ladies I can only go by how they handle their students and children.  I can only say my granddaughters would have NEVER been allowed to act like that under any circumstances.  

They are many different ways of guiding and helping our young people to adapt from the previous two horrible years other than letting them conduct themselves inappropriately.  

It is our job to always guide them and help them find those ways…

Agreed. 

I still believe adults act worse than kids on cruises. Case in point, on our last Allure cruise my Dad took my then 2.5 year old daughter for a tour around the solarium, even grabbed her a bite to eat while there. When he came back and told us where they'd been I told him she's not allowed in there and to please not cause any problems for her. He only came back because he wanted us to put her swim diaper and suit on so he can go back to the solarium for a swim with her like he does in my parents' condo all the time. He still didn't understand.......and that's where my Mom came in......problem solved. 

• Like 1

Typical Cruise Critic. People complain about unruly kids and some parents get their fur up for no reason. Relax...unless of course your kid is a hellion. 

Edit: I do appreciate the non-COVID quarrels though.

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Typical Cruise Critic. People complain about unruly kids and some parents get their fur up for no reason. Relax...unless of course your kid is a hellion. 

Have you ever heard a parent these days admit their child is a hellion? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm always amazed that people have such low expectations for kids.  The behavior that kids exhibit is directly correlated with the expectations their parents have for them.  Don't expect much, you won't get much.  Your lack of expectation breeds contempt.  That contempt manifests itself in the behavior most find distasteful. 

I have low expectations of pretty much everyone lately. Been to a few sporting events lately and have seen some pretty embarrassing fights/arguments in the stands. Alcohol is probably easiest to blame but judging by the ages and sizes of the guys involved low T levels are probably the root cause.....that and 2 years of strict lockdowns. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Big_G said:

It's all in good fun for me. 

My kids can definitely be hellions.....we're working on it though. 

49 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Exactly... if it's not true, then it's not about you. Simple.