The Daily for Friday 06/17/2022

richwmn

Good morning. We have a hot and humid day here with thunderstorms  coming later.I forced myself to take the dogs on a decent walk earlier and it was like walking through a wall of water.

I will celebrate veggies but find flip flops uncomfortable. Any thought of driving without a specific  destination or need is no longer an option.The state dropped sales tax on gas until the end of the year but prices remain very high.

The port looks like a great place to visit.Thanks for the pictures.

I am searching through recipes for something different  for tonight.We have a request for shrimp scampi that sounds good to me.I like the recipes today but would need an air fryer for the fish.  @grapau27 has the best idea!Go to a restaurant  for fish and chips.....

Terry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Friday everyone - remember when we were all working (sorry, I forgot some of us still are) and we so looked forward to Friday?  So yesterday was Fresh Veggies Day and today is Eat Your Vegetables Day; were we just supposed to admire the vegetables yesterday?  LOL  With the cost of gasoline, it will be a little while until we take a road trip, but I'm sure we will.  I wear Clarks flip flops because they are so comfortable.  I remember wearing the rubber ones as a child - we used to call them thongs, but then those fancy undies came along and suddenly we had to call them flip flops. 

Well it looks like the warmth is finally happening - there are heat warnings all around us, but not for our city.  People are advised to be sure to wear sunscreen, have lots of water, etc., because it's supposed to hit the mid 30's (90+) and we certainly aren't used to it.  With all the rain we've had the past couple of days there will be a high humidex as well which will make it seem even warmer.  Never fear though, it's only for a couple of days, then Sunday we're back to clouds and rain.  

Not a lot going on here today, will have to make a quick grocery run, as friends are coming over for a visit this afternoon and I'm going to make a lemonade pie to serve along with iced coffee.  It will make a nice cool treat on a hot day.  I like today's menu suggestion but it's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll look over the online menus and make our selection from there for pick up.  It'll be pizza on the deck tonight for us.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who continue to provide aid to them.  We'll celebrate all on the happy list by raising our glasses tonight.  Stay well, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Happy Friday! A beautiful day with wind so no fishing but a lot of weeding. 

We love fried fish and since we cook our own Walleye at the cabin there are no chips.  Lots of fresh veggies though.

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  Prayers for the three missing men supporting Ukraine, the people of Ukraine and all on Roy's care list. 🙏

IMG_20220617_072811325_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm going to make a lemonade pie to serve along with iced coffee.  It will make a nice cool treat on a hot day. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Ooh, Gerry, your lemonade pie sounds like something I would love. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

I still have some frozen Meyer lemon juice from this year’s harvest that I need to use up. 

• Like 21

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Ooh, Gerry, your lemonade pie sounds like something I would love. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

I second third this request.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 21

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll eat some veggies today. No road trip for now and I don't wear flip flops (no support). Great quote.

I like fish and chips (about the only way I'll eat fish). Pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Manzanillo. Thanks for the pictures.

It's supposed to be slightly less hot today, but less humid. Sad events here due to the heat; a 3-month old died after being left in the parents' car for hours and several dogs left outside in the heat had to be put down. I just don't understand it!

@grapau27 Yummy looking fish and chips. And Pauline looks lovely as usual.

@kazu I'm glad your sister was safe from the storms. Great flower pictures.

@marshhawk Sorry about the phone issues; I hope you can get it stopped. 

@Sharon in AZ Wow, that altar is stunning!

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine and the missing soldiers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Good hot and sunny morning. It’s 83 with a real feel of 94. I am staying in with the AC .

@marshhawk, my brother had the same problem with his cell phone getting hacked, had to get a new number. I agree people were nasty. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I love my flip flops!  I couldn’t live without them. My current favorite are Crocs. I have 2 pair. I use them as house slippers as well. My tender feet don’t like walking on tile. 

I love vegetables and probably eat them more than meat. 

Our meal at Gatto Nero was excellent. The pictures are on Craig’s phone so I’ll try to post them later. 

Burano 

666FB0B0-22FF-4E0B-8D67-51553918C2D7.thumb.jpeg.2884bf20c41085665687fd2811971404.jpeg

AC0F4C13-33FB-42E7-BAF9-2DB0E69BECDF.thumb.jpeg.f94086be84cb4442373f1bcef7056e6b.jpeg

Burano cat

9EECE92F-E199-4000-BC28-C245505E3B2E.thumb.jpeg.5e199f049ed4ff1157e23c6514804c81.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. We have rain in our forecast!!!! I will believe it when it happens but this time it looks like a pretty good chance and supposedly spread out over a number of days. Hope springs eternal.

I love fish and chips, but will be eating lightly the rest of the day since several friends and I went out to breakfast this morning to celebrate my birthday. It was fun to get out and visit while it was still cool and it was nice to sit and visit . We plan to for lunch sometime next month. Not exactly the high life, but it will do. 

More later as the dog tells me I need to walk him.... now!!! at once!!! .... or else!!!

Susan

• Like 21

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to all contributors. 

100 degree weather still into the future. No liquid sunshine in sight.

Jacqui your flowers are stunning. Looks like a botanical garden. 

Sandi the days are dragging by for you I'm sure. I would go crazy without a balcony. 

Sharon, we love Venice. I have a lace scarf from Burano. Are the ladies still sitting outside making their lace?  The best pizza besides the one we had in Naples is by the Rialto Bridge called Antico. I'd go to Venice just to eat at Antico..

We had our Mahjongg game last night and we had so much fun. I made a 1/2 gallon of Cosmo's, then switched to Cape Cod's because I ran out of Cointreau. Then the guys joined us and we played Code Names. Has anyone played this?

OluKai is my go to choice for flip flops. I have many colors. Amazon sells them now, but I'll be shopping for them in Maui in a few weeks. I'll wear flip flops and shorts til the snow flies!

Prayers,  cheers, and blessings. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is a beautiful morning here in northeast Ohio.  Temps are supposed to moderate today and through the weekend.  Yesterday's rain never materialized, but we started to get cooler breezes in the afternoon.  My lawn guys were here and I kept bugging them to drink water yesterday morning.  Not much planned here today outside of doing my laps around the block and the pool.  Maybe I'll pull out the suitcase and think about clothes for my cruise.  Is it too early?

Fish and chips are one of my all time favorites.  Once I had to start watching carbs I changed it to fish and broccoli, but still enjoy it when I can get it.  There was a place in town that had the best fish and chips.  Sadly, they did not survive the pandemic.  The Spruce Eats give us step by step picture instructions on how to make this wonderful dish.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-fish-and-chips-recipe-434856

880236684_fishandchips1.thumb.jpg.b8ea8f0c097a546acffe17e615699ab0.jpg

Oh, my gosh.  I can hear the crunch.  @grapau27 Graham will have to weigh in here on whether this recipe is authentic or not.   But, it looks good to me!   https://www.daringgourmet.com/fish-and-chips/

1747437251_fishandchips2.jpg.852c2700b89451500b912cbd6f40a378.jpg

Alton Brown uses a different type of seasoning in his batter.  I think it would be good!  He also includes cornstarch for dredging.  I've seen them do that on America's Test Kitchen as well.  It helps get that super crunchy crust that makes this so good.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chips-and-fish-recipe-1906657

358263628_Fishandchips3.jpeg.8332f069cfe0fb04e98951d4a1b97806.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  Cheers for all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Paulines late mam made her own batter and always put a dash of vinegar in the mix to make it crispy.

The cooking oil has to be very hot and you can tell if you drop a chip in and it swish sizzles the oil is hot enough and you will get crispy fish and chips.

If the oil is not hot enough you get greasy batter.

Graham 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Greetings All!

We are back at the "cottage"!

We arrived on the 10th and our eldest son and DIL arrived from LA for a visit on the 12th. They left yesterday for Italy (DIL born and raised there) for vacation. They could get better flights by going through Toronto which allowed then to spend some time with us in the Kawarthas. The weather cooperated for their visit but we drove through a torrential downpour on the way back to Pearson Airport. It was almost zero visibility for a few miles! 

Our garden is doing OK for having been neglected for the last couple of years due to covid. The Canada gardens are pretty much full sun while our Saint Paul, MN gardens are very shady. So gardening in both places is quite different.

This peony originally was growing in my grandmother's yard in Beaver Falls, PA. It has been divided and moved several times; the original plant would be over 100 years old. I didn't manage to get the picture until after some rain hit, so they are a bit droopy -

20220613_133254.thumb.jpg.9c944e22d070905c8ca7ab7e65307438.jpg

Lupines and Blue False Indigo -

20220613_133747.thumb.jpg.ac187954e794552a094fbdbd0c5bdc09.jpg

Both are growing fantastically but they are too similar in color and flower form to be this close together (IMO). So I'll move one this fall. Probably the indigo since I have not had the best luck with lupines and I don't want to take chances with this one!

Sedum and geraniums -

20220613_133920.thumb.jpg.57bc38f79a72e4edbebefc107a9df6d5.jpg

20220613_133300.thumb.jpg.13b6d111f078f5dc3bff7ff96b263c85.jpg

And this guy was hanging out by the dock the other day -

20220612_152721.thumb.jpg.f3215ca88dbd3221e7e0c3bcc144006a.jpg

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 35

Good morning all!

Another cloudy day, but (hopefully) no rain.  

We have vegetables every day.  I'm not a fan of flip flops.  I haven't worn them since I was a teenager living in CA, and that was only around the pool.  No road trip today, but we will be driving 3 hours to the ocean with the grandsons on Monday.  That isn't a big road trip, but with 7 and 9-year-olds it's long enough! 😄

I agree with the quote, like fish and chips (I choose the Alton Brown recipe).  Will pass on the drink and red wine.  We were in Manzanillo in 2015 but I can't find any photos.  I do remember it was very hot. Thanks for all photos!

On the agenda today is a trip to the Commissary to stock up on food for the grandsons' stay with us.  I shudder to think how much those boys will be eating in a few years LOL!  I'll be baking cookies for them too, of course.

Susan @durangoscotsHappy Birthday!!

• Like 23