The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 4th, 2022

richwmn

I would be happy to have the butternut squash-seared chicken-ravioli, but dinner tonight is likely to be fish.

From the deck of the Norwegian Gem in October 2018:

936193464_StatueofLiberty3.thumb.jpg.64e3793de52f6e34062d200aaf7c54d1.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Terry, that salad is not only heathy, it is refreshing on a hot day.  It can be made with other fruit depending on the season.  When I use apples, I omit the Jell-O and add an orange since the juice keeps the apples and other fruit fresh.

I hope everyone enjoys it. 

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Independence Day to my American friends - celebrate safely, please. 

happy fourth of july facebook | ... July - July Fourth Comments, Images,  Graphics, Pictures for F… | 4th of july images, Happy fourth of july, Happy  july 4th images

Neither DH nor I are huge country music fans, but realize there is a huge following of that musical genre.  While it's not hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk today, last summer someone in our city did bake a tray of cookies on their car's dashboard.  I agree solidly with today's quote.

It's another beautiful day in the works out there with lots of sunshine, so that means outdoor activities for the family.  I think for lunch we'll be packing the picnic basket and heading to a park where the boys can run around to their heart's content.  Yesterday was tons of fun with lawn sprinklers, sprayers, bubble makers, etc.  The visit from DH's sister was appreciated because she brought treats - ice cream and cookies; she knew what she was doing!  LOL

@Cat in my lapsafe travels to you, and Bon Voyage!

@kazuyou just can't get a break, can you?  Hopefully today's much better.  About the jam - it can still be used as a lumpy but delicious syrup.

I think today's menu suggestion sounds good, but a certain 7 year old has asked if we could have quesadillas for dinner tonight.  Who am I to deny such a request?  It's looking like it's going to be an easy dinner for me to make tonight - quesadillas and coleslaw.  I'm going to use @Quartzsite Cruiser's idea of the red white and blue salad for dessert, as we have lots of fruit in the house.  We'll have a great last dinner together on our deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who are having to put up with endless shelling.  We'll raise the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when needed, get those boosters, and be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from the Zaandam.   Thanks for the daily fleet report.  DH thinks that winter has set in, no baking in the sun for him. Clicks moved forward an hour and I slept until 8. That nonsense is not allowed at home.  When the kids want breakfast they get persistent. 

Breakfast was in the Pinnacle and lunch will be in the same spot.  Dinner will be in Canaletto. 

I hope everyone has a nice day today. 

20220704_091018.thumb.jpg.ec2354872f7b84983c7219ffb4892705.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Unlike others, I am enjoying a quiet (so far) 4th of July. Have not heard any fireworks. Hope it stays that way. We did have some thunder with our rains yesterday.... dogs slept through it all. It is cool here this morning... 56F when we walked. Little Monty walked happily much further this morning... he has been stopping and wanting to go home after only about 1/4 of our usual walk. Today we doubled that.  Bandit and I will have him in the routine in another week.  The true Chihuahua spirit is there and hopefully it will come out. He still spends much of his time hiding in his crate during the day,  but now comes dancing for meals and walks. A great improvement.

No grilling for me today.... I am still trying to get stuff cleared out and will be for some time so it will be something quick and easy. Whatever I can find in the frig.  Very unexciting.

Susan 

• Like 29

Happy 4th of July to my friends in the US!

We had BBQ yesterday at DS and DDIL's, they made a wonderful steak bbq for us.  Today may be something I can do with my left-over steak (huge steaks!) Not sure yet what that will be, maybe stir fry or tacos.

Not a fan of most Country Music other than I do love Johnny Cash.  It's only going to get up to the high 60's F here today, so no sidewalk egg frying!

Will pass on the meal but the wine and drink both sound yummy.  I don't agree with the first part of the quote -- especially here in the casual PNW and have never been to the port but it's on the Grand Australia itinerary so I hope we'll have photos.

Like several others, it's been hard sleeping this week with all the LOUD fireworks.  I've been wearing ear plugs (and hate them) and cranked up the sound machine really loud.  Tonight will be much worse.

We had such a nice time yesterday.  We saw the latest on DS and DDIL's house renovations -- seeing it in person is so much more dramatic than just photos.  Wow!!  The house has pretty much been gutted, all flooring will be replaced, the sunken living room was raised, closets and walls moved, on and on.  I love their choices of counter tops, cabinets, flooring etc.  DDIL is an artist and has definite likes and dislikes 😉  They have big plans in the yard too, like moving some fruit trees out to a sunnier spot (the previous owner put them under evergreens (!) and adding to their "orchard".  I've already been asked to be the jam maker and have offered to make some yummy Apricot Riesling jam that is out of this world. 

@Cat in my lapsafe travels!

@kazuToday just has to be better I hope!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, durangoscots said:

Unlike others, I am enjoying a quiet (so far) 4th of July. Have not heard any fireworks. Hope it stays that way. We did have some thunder with our rains yesterday.... dogs slept through it all. It is cool here this morning... 56F when we walked. Little Monty walked happily much further this morning... he has been stopping and wanting to go home after only about 1/4 of our usual walk. Today we doubled that.  Bandit and I will have him in the routine in another week.  The true Chihuahua spirit is there and hopefully it will come out. He still spends much of his time hiding in his crate during the day,  but now comes dancing for meals and walks. A great improvement.

No grilling for me today.... I am still trying to get stuff cleared out and will be for some time so it will be something quick and easy. Whatever I can find in the frig.  Very unexciting.

Susan 

Susan, I enjoyed hearing about Monty and his walking habits today.  I love that you and Bandit will have him in the proper routine in a week.  Any photos of the two of them?

Your Monty reminds me of my niece who was on a diving vacation in Jamaica once, and fell in love with one of the street dogs that followed them everywhere.  He sort of adopted them!  She made arrangements to adopt the dog which took a lot of red tape, believe me!  And when he was finally transported to the US, she named him Monty for Montego Bay.  That is one lucky dog!🐕

• Like 25

Happy 4th of July to all celebrating in the US and abroad!  We have a rainy day with a break right now.  Perfect light to take flower photos.  Fishing was ok yesterday with our usual supervisor, the Bald Eagle.  I got some good photos of him as he was attacked by Kingbirds.  

I woke up thinking about using the rainy day to make Swabian Rye bread like we had on the Nieuw Statendam but I don't have bread pans here so I will hit the Dollar Store for some when we head to town on Wednesday.  I brought all the needed ingredients just no pans.   

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  Today's drink looks great as does the wine.  We used to be on Rochioli's mailing list and visited several times but it was one of the wineries we gave up on when I retired.  Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for people who need them.  Have a wonderful day! 🎆🧨🎇🍾🍷🥃

sZBMJRspSaKnSClCVUS4LQ.jpg

ugty9m6GRb6PMDNMKRkS1A.jpg

u0bwfYT1Q3KaFkhWS5BFGA.jpg

• Like 33

Good morning, all! 🎇🎆🇺🇸HAPPY 4th OF JULY to all our Dailyites in the US!🇺🇸🎇🎆

Its too cold and wet to BBQ here today. Likewise, the only way to fry an egg on the sidewalk would be on a camp stove under an umbrella. 
We haven’t *quite* been to Geraldton. It was one of our replacement ports in March 2020 which as in turn cancelled when Australia wouldn’t let us land anymore. Due to a medical,emergency, we did get close enough that a helicopter from Geraldton could pick up the stricken (not by Covid) passenger for transport.

This morning I heard from our Safari operator for our trip to Kruger National Park on the Grand Africa. He has found our voucher from the 2020 cancellation and applied it in full. We don’t pay the remaining balance until September. Time is getting close, and I’m getting excited!

Happy Monday, everyone! If the rain keeps up and the river gets higher, I could WALK to a BHB!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 29

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui, sometimes there are days like that - when nothing goes right, and it's so frustrating!  I do hope you can get the computer charging problem figured out

I have a feeling something is gone.  I’m going to call my tech guy tonight (if he’s not on the road) and see if he has any words of wisdom or can help.  

The laptop doesn’t owe me anything but I don’t want to buy a new one.  I’m charging DH’s Mac and assuming I can get in with the password I wrote down last time I helped him, I’ll use it 😉 

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Then celebrate with an extra glass of wine tonight!  

I think that’s a given tonight LOL 😂 

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Jacqui, what do you use to kill the weeds?

For grass and that stuff going through the good old fashioned epsom salt mix works well. And does work for some weeds https://myheavenlyrecipes.com/3-ingredient-weed-killer-recipe/

It takes time - for dandelions - big broad leafed weeds I like quick action so use Scott’s Weed B-gon.  I only use that stuff when absolutely necessary. 😉 

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I tried a small spot on our pavers and it didn’t work. Sam set up,a system to water the plants and up until yesterday everything was ok because we had enough rain, but now they are dying and I’m not sure I can revive them.

I am sure you can revive them Carol.  Give them a gentle watering, let it soak in and then water again.  You might have to do it over a few hours for today and maybe tomorrow.  Plants are more resilient than we think.  If there are a lot of dead flowers, dead head them so they put their energy in their growth and don’t waste it on trying to make seeds.

• Like 25

Good morning. We had a beautiful drive down the coast from Seattle, lunch in Astoria overlooking the Columbia River. Arrived at the beautiful beach rental and just enjoyed the views, a whale spouting and a delicious Seafood boil of shrimp, Dungeness crab, potatoes, corn on the cob and Portuguese Sausage.

Today is walks on beach day, traditional hamburger and hot dogs on the grill with chilled watermelon.

No matter how you celebrate this special holiday may it be shared with loved ones and great friends.

Pictures are our views from the beach house. Sunset was hindered by some offshore clouds but the folks enjoying their beach fires, and of course there were some pretty dynamic individual fireworks. I wish I could do a live  scratch and smell as the scent of the Pacific Ocean is intoxicating.

image.thumb.jpeg.959473c774561d7df8841d5dae22bc19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cf5858dcd354c3ffa6dc281b4f621091.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98f98a7775e50ba6af7a61f3278d2294.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c94c6671ffe6624b4c1ec1c89b631f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.99b51f7121f74442de3f316f4d647c55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94eead8b7d2527447ba6f74d81c325eb.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

The fireworks ban of both sales and use has made for two peaceful nights, and tonight will be the third one.  It's too bad it took a drought and dry grasses and trees fot the ban to be put in place.  I wish it could be permanent, but that won't happen.

The salad is made and cooling in the refrigerator.  Supper will be easy.  All I have to do is put the meat in the George Foreman and get the fixings ready.

@ger_77  Gerry, that's a good idea using the salad as dessert.  It might be good as a topping on ice cream.  By the time I get all the ingredients mixed, we have more than we really need; so it makes several appearances at dinner.  It is also good on cereal for breakfast.

@durangoscots  Susan, I like that Bandit with your help is getting Monty into the household routine.

@Horizon chaser  That is good news about the safari and having the 2020 payment applied to the Grand Africa  cruise.

@kazu  i'm sorry your computer seems to have died.  Hope Jose’s MAC works for you.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the great pictures.  The trip sounds wonderful.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. We had a beautiful drive down the coast from Seattle, lunch in Astoria overlooking the Columbia River. Arrived at the beautiful beach rental and just enjoyed the views, a whale spouting and a delicious Seafood boil of shrimp, Dungeness crab, potatoes, corn on the cob and Portuguese Sausage.

Today is walks on beach day, traditional hamburger and hot dogs on the grill with chilled watermelon.

No matter how you celebrate this special holiday may it be shared with loved ones and great friends.

Pictures are our views from the beach house. Sunset was hindered by some offshore clouds but the folks enjoying their beach fires, and of course there were some pretty dynamic individual fireworks. I wish I could do a live  scratch and smell as the scent of the Pacific Ocean is intoxicating.

image.thumb.jpeg.959473c774561d7df8841d5dae22bc19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cf5858dcd354c3ffa6dc281b4f621091.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98f98a7775e50ba6af7a61f3278d2294.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c94c6671ffe6624b4c1ec1c89b631f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.99b51f7121f74442de3f316f4d647c55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94eead8b7d2527447ba6f74d81c325eb.jpeg

Even now with having seen more of the world, the Oregon Coast is still my idea of heaven. Where abouts are you?

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 20

Happy fourth of July dailyites.  Thanks Rich and all who contribute to this forum.  I got out early and trimmed the hedges in front of the house but think I will save myself if I am going to go kayaking tonight. All this work makes me feel my age. 

• Like 26

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Sauza Mexican Paloma cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Sauza® Hacienda Silver Tequila
3 parts Grapefruit Soda
1/2 parts Lime Juice
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Build ingredients over ice and stir. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 9.06.55 AM.png

That drink really looks refreshing for a hot day.  It is supposed to get close to 90F here.

• Like 20

Good morning. Thanks for the 4th of July Daily/Fleet report. Happy 4th of July!

1118464556_4thofJuly.jpg.0e81ae56fa289330d31c9562383ae879.jpg

Good days. No BBQ for me, as I'm just home alone. I'll make a burger for dinner, but I don't have a grill. I'm not a big country music fan and never fried an egg on the sidewalk. I disagree partly with the quote - you can be overdressed.

I like the butternut squash ravioli and chicken, so might like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I have been to Australia, but haven't been to Geraldton.

It's warm today and hazy. We may have rain the rest of the week, which we need. There were some neighborhood fireworks after 11 last night, but I fell asleep pretty quickly. We have big fireworks downtown, that I've occasionally gone to in person, but it's too crowded and hard to get home. So I'll watch them on TV tonight.

@Cat in my lap Safe travels. Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers It sounds like DD is having a good time! 

@kazu Sorry the jam didn't set and the laptop wouldn't charge (how old is it? Sometimes the battery goes after a while). I hope today is better.

@durangoscots It's great Monty is starting to get into the routine.

@Cruising-along Wow, sounds like really big renovations going on to DS's new house.

@aliaschief Enjoy the beach! I grew up on the Alantic Ocean and miss the smell of the ocean.

@rafinmd Enjoy the 4th in Boston. When I was in college I got to see Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops orchestra on the Esplanade for the Bicentennial 4th in 1976.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Wow, sounds like really big renovations going on to DS's new house.

It really is, Vanessa.  They bought the house because they liked the floor plan and the house has "good bones" and of course the acreage.  It will be nice when they can finally move in, but fun to watch the progress meanwhile!

Bruce @aliaschiefgorgeous photos, makes me want to take a drive down the coast!  Are you staying at a rental or does your son own it?  We're always looking for new places. 🙂  

• Like 24

I've finished baking both a chocolate and an almond Texas Sheet Cake to take to my DH's former family's annual July 4th BBQ later today.

(Yes, you read that correctly. Eons ago, his former inlaws 'kept him' over their own daughter when she abandoned him and their two toddler sons whom he raised alone. And, years later, they welcomed me with open arms.)

It will be great to see everyone as this is the first BBQ since Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021.

And, now I'm sitting, catching up with the Daily news, and enjoying a very quiet morning after three days of the Navy's Blue Angel performances directly over our condo. As a child of a Strategic Air Command father, I love seeing the planes perform but after Practice Day and two Air Show days I am more than ready for the sound of silence...

The Blue Angels arriving from the north headed straight toward our Balcony.

IMG_20160702_154628.thumb.jpg.cc3a70d8fe350a28b305e0882e451b48.jpg

Looking west out of our Living Room as the Blue Angels cross over the river's dam basin filled with kayaks.

803488776_IMG_20160702_1511162.thumb.jpg.998737ab10f95fa5938a39f9601f1c54.jpg

🎇🎆Happy 4thof July!🎆🎇,

-Melisa

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sorry the jam didn't set and the laptop wouldn't charge (how old is it? Sometimes the battery goes after a while). I hope today is better.

the laptop is admittedly old. I’ve replaced the battery twice (it used to get used a lot) for it and I know it’s not the battery.  I took it out and plugged in the charger and nothing.  If it were the battery, the laptop would have worked.  The charger is lit up so it’s working but nothing is happening where it goes into the laptop.

I’m not going to worry about it today.  I’ll see what my guy says - If it’s an easy fix, fine.  The laptop isn’t worth putting major $$$$ into it.

• Like 21

1 minute ago, summer slope said:

@kazucheck the ground fault breaker on the wall plug. It may have tripped. 

Thanks.  Afraid not.  The light connected to the same plug is working fine.  The charger is getting juice - I can see the light.  Not to worry - it will get sorted out one way or the other.

• Like 17