The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 5th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Apple Turnover Day, National Bikini Day, and Work-a-holics Day

Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Meal Suggestion for today - Mole New Mexican Wedding Cookies
Drink of the Day - Paradise Punch
Wine of the Day - Diora 2019 La Splendeur du Soleil Chardonnay (Mont
Destination of the Day - Stockholm, Sweden

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 07/06

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Mykonos Island, Greece 11:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bergen, Norway eta 07/07

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/06

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0705World.thumb.png.278bad56c6c6b6fc41ca87daaf3808c0.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Sort of a funny quote.

Good mixture of days, I wasn't a workaholic but have always had a very good work ethic. 

Prayers for the victims of Highland Park, growing up and living in Chicago for 48 years I drove through and visited Highland Park quite a few times, DW is from the nearby suburb of Northbrook and she went to the movies many times in her school years in Highland Park.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 32

Good morning from a rainy Southern Ontario.

Thanks for the Reports.

I like apple turnovers.  I won't wear a bikini (you're welcome 😉).  I am not a work-a-holic and didn't marry one. 🙂

Amusing quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for the cookies - I bet they are yummy.

I'm sure the drink is tasty, hope the wine is too.

Prayers for Chicago.  Prayers for the injured and killed and the families and friends of the victims.

Prayers for the officers shot in Philadelphia, I heard they were not seriously injured.

• Like 33

Good afternoon from a cool and overcast 59°F North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Apple turnovers are nice.

We both used to be workaholics but not now.

The wine sounds good but not sure about the food.

The sail in to Stockholm past many little islands taking several hours was amazing on our Baltic cruise on Serenade of the seas in May 2015.

The old town of Gamla Stan in Stockholm was in walking distance of our ship and was very interesting and the city centre was close by.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 31

Good morning, everyone.

I am hearing the rumblings of thunder outside.  We are supposed to get rain this morning, clearing this afternoon, and rain again tonight.  The yard needs it.  Last night's booms were not from the neighbors up the street.  They must have worn themselves out the last two days.  Either that or they ran out of money to buy their fireworks.  The booms last night were a little further away, but still annoying around 11:00 pm when I wanted to go to bed.

We're having cookies for dinner!   Everyone remembers those delightful Mexican wedding cookies that are oh so sugary and melt in your mouth.  We'll start with a traditional recipe:  https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-mexican-wedding-cookies-162213

467037862_molenewmexicanweddingcookies2.thumb.jpg.f8d1c040bba1401f3402e40b36d39406.jpg

The Mole New Mexican Wedding Cookies have a bite to them due to the addition of chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.  Mini chocolate chips are also added for balance.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mole-new-mexican-wedding-cookies/

1727181082_molenewmexicanweddingcookies.thumb.jpg.b39d624acc581bd97947e38a94c8580f.jpg

If you want a slightly different flavor without the heat, try these with just cinnamon.   https://weelicious.com/cinnamon-mexican-wedding-cookies-aka-snow-balls/

227154324_molenewmexicanweddingcookies4.thumb.jpg.3b1578158bf870866ff080d2f26f12d3.jpg

Or be totally different and use everyone's favorite fall flavor:  Pumpkin.  https://cookieandkate.com/pumpkin-pecan-polvorones-mexican-wedding-cookies/

1849013206_molenewmexicanweddingcookies3.thumb.jpg.4edb6ae7112679e24397324573590835.jpg

Or go in a totally different direction with these coconut lime cookies.   https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/coconut-lime-mexican-wedding-cookies.html

889838624_molenewmexicanweddingcookies5.thumb.jpg.3025896c109665a21df187822298a3b0.jpg

I'd probably go for a fish taco before the cookies, but that is just me.

Prayers for all who need them, especially victims of violence and injustice.   Special prayers for our Daily family members facing challenges.   Cheers to those who are celebrating, especially on a BHB.  Wishing you all a happy day with appliances and electronics that work like they are supposed to work.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days - yum on apple turnovers.  I’ve never worn a bikini and this is not the time to start 😉 I’ve been a bit of a work-a-holic between jams, cruise planning & gardening 😆 

Not sure I would use that Rowling quote talking to others.  Oh on the meal suggestion - Jose would be in 7th heaven if he was presented with these.  He loved them.  We’ve been to Stockholm a couple of times and enjoyed it.  The sail in through the archipelago is fantastic. 

EBD1AC1F-F511-43FC-AE33-13FCC29967F9.thumb.jpeg.1d38f3300af905ce8249937d34214219.jpeg

Things improved quite a bit yesterday, thankfully.  I got a long awaited call (after being bounced around for 6 weeks) from My Health NB on my QR code for my proof of vaccination. (It had my middle name on it which has been dropped from all of my I.D. because of my very long name with 2 last names). then another call with a name and phone number if it wasn’t fixed by Thursday.  And this morning when I went to look -  IT’S FIXED.  That is a big happy dance for me for travel.

And my new batch of jam set as usual 👍 I don’t have enough rhubarb for the next batch and the pickings were poor at the country market (which is why I didn’t get more) so I picked some at my neighbours in exchange for another jar of jam.  Seemed like a fair deal to me 😉 I love slicing and dicing in front of these.

D392574A-0BA2-4264-BF28-ACD5B62A2111.thumb.jpeg.c40c66092c7d2221e0f7dca20a0d3585.jpeg

Such sad news with all the shootings on a day that should be a celebration of America’s birthday 😢 Prayers for the victims and their families 🙏🏻

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, the victims of yesterday’s tragic events and those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!!!

309B7B3B-5DA5-44F5-88FD-DEF07777C5C5.thumb.jpeg.d61675f3cb8252ae8c2e487291d09ff2.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Paradise Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
12 parts Cruzan® Peach Rum
12 parts Ginger Ale
4 1/2 parts Honey Syrup
3 parts Lemon Juice

Instructions
Combine Cruzan® Peach Rum, honey syrup and lemon juice in a pitcher. Stir then add ginger ale right before serving over ice.
Serves 6.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 7.30.49 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another delightful morning here. And the breezes have really helped to make the temp & humidity bearable. 

Roy, glad to travel with you via your blog. Thank you for taking the time to do that & keep our lists as well. Morning Dailyites. It is a busy day for me. I have a bunch of things I have been putting off related to my late August trip, because part of me had difficulty believing it was really going to happen. But first the gym and house chores. 

I admit it - I thought of Terry @smitty34877when I saw this one.😎

31FFAC58-221E-40B4-A934-2E3F496B6C4C.jpeg.ba159f6c760e2b0d1db4dc9edf0bd0f9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Diora 2019 La Splendeur du Soleil Chardonnay

All released vintages of this buttery Chardonnay share the same excellent consumer & critic ratings and a very reasonable price. Widely available online with prices starting at $13.95.

Winemaker Notes

This Diora La Splendeur du Soleil Chardonnay is a beautiful, golden hue, with aromas of toasted oak mingle with light spice notes of cinnamon. The delicate flavors of vanilla bean give way to a lovely, soft and light buttery layer. This reminds one of a rich, yet delicate crème brûlée with a soft, round mouthfeel that will pair beautifully with lobster or sautéed scallops.

The light acidity and long finish of this wine will also be a great accompaniment to a variety of dishes.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

Excellently presented aromas of butter, nectarine, warm almond and white flower are delicate but expressive on the nose of this bottling. An immediate acidity races through the palate, lifting the toasty and buttery elements while pairing smartly against the ripe citrus and white flower elements.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  @dfish I'd give any of your recipes a try.  Today we return to Charlottetown and the weather is beautiful.   Will walk around a bit but have no major plans.  I checked with shore excursions and do far our Halifax excursion is a go.  Their description is much more interesting than the navigator apps.  

20220705_083917.thumb.jpg.a2a6363376b10c48aba17ff10ade2256.jpg

• Like 32

@cat shepard! I love it!Believe me, I needed a laugh this morning as I am sure we all do.

One of our best cruise memories is sailing into Stockholm and then walking around the beautiful city. I would love to see it again.

There were of course endless rounds of fireworks last night. My dog was parked closely next to us in bed with his partner in crime under the bed again.
I have a vegetarian chili in the instapot this morning as I started off with two types of dried beans. Lately I have had a hard time getting myself organized for cooking and shopping for cooking. My mind is in vacation mode already!

Be careful out there  everyone.

Terry

• Like 35

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

Sue and I received our second booster Sunday in preparation for our upcoming cruises. It didn't bother me on Sunday but I did feel out of sorts yesterday. Sue just had pain at the injection site.

The cruise line apps show 109 days until our MSC Splendida cruise and 123 days until our HAL Oosterdam Transatlantic begins. We chose the MSC cruise as among other ports, it calls on Taranto, IT which is interesting to me as it  is one of the main Italian Navy bases. It was the site of a major naval engagement during the early days of WWII. We will be joining many Daily-ites aboard the Oosterdam for the crossing.

We visited today's destination on our Baltic cruise aboard the Zuiderdam in 2017. Our cruise actually overnighted in Stockholm plus we celebrated one of Sue's birthdays there. We had a wonderful breakfast on our verandah across from Grona Lund.  Cruising through the archipelago is one of the prettiest sail away we have had.

Sadly, prayers for those families in Highland Park.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

DSC01378.thumb.JPG.fa7a1087e611c6eb408f1fb284fa8130.JPG

DSC01507.thumb.JPG.b7ba3152477619c56f8bad220790bd03.JPG

P1050810.thumb.JPG.a22a6b721d8d7f3a8b8833455c77f5d2.JPG

P1050816.thumb.JPG.99deeda407034637f6cec14fe45efbd6.JPG

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Rainy morning in the Kawarthas so we won't be using the new deck furniture for today's coffee 

20220624_183014.thumb.jpg.795ecc20d56726aea50814a222ea7ce0.jpg

20220702_090300.thumb.jpg.ec18269287fd40e65b53d3374d03d4f6.jpg

We head back to Minnesota tomorrow for a few weeks. Visiting the SIL in Bessemer in Michigan's UP on the way.

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Such sad news from Highland Park yesterday. I realized that my grandson was planning a visit to a Chicago suburb this summer and was concerned he might have been there. Then I realized he lives in LA and is no more safe there than anywhere else in this crazy time. We must do something about the guns in this country.

I watched the Boston Pops last night and was reminded how many times we were at Tanglewood in MA for July 4th. I’ve seen fireworks up close in NYC at Central Park and from Brooklyn on the east river but the ones at Tanglewood took my breath away. They just  kept coming and coming and were breathtaking.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 35

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites !

02ab2586a84b8456cb7ea4fdb38094de--tuesday-quotes-daily-photo.jpg

I last wore a bikini when I was 16.   As you know I am a workaholic, it's a terrible disease.  But then, it's paid for my cruising habit ( an acceptable addiction).  I love apple turn overs, blue berry turnovers, cherry turnovers, etc.  The cookies @dfish look wonderful.  All of them.

Yesterday I made ribs in the crock pot, potato salad, and deviled eggs, and that wonderful lemon pie recipe that was posted last week.  I lost the recipe, so I winged it.  I will make it again.  I think I will try it with limeade, and put half of the cool whip in the mix, and then cover the top with straight cool whip.  I used a pecan crust, not sure I would do that again.  Maybe with a chocolate mix. Any flavor it might have had was lost to the lemon.  Yummy!  Even DH was amazed at dinner and dessert.

Today I am waiting to hear if my new campaign is ready to go, or if I have been lost to the Texas campaign for another month.  So far, no update.  No other plans.  Until Thursday.  Then I go get lunch at our favorite BBQ place, and pick up some chopped pork for quesadillas.  With the price of gas these days (even though they say it's been going down)  I need to really watch my driving intentions, and include as many stops in one trip that I can.

gather-the-inspirational-funny-cat-coffee-memes-of-funny-cat-coffee-memes.jpg

Yesterday was another horrible day in the news.  Seems like every day is bringing out the worst situations, every where in the world.  I told someone a year ago, that when we all self isolated it was like we were all caged, and when the world opened up, it turned out that  a lot of people just  needed to remain in the cage.

5cce74b36d76e2ba9abf93cf40e3e2d3.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Good morning.  Another sad day after the shootings in Highland Park.   We are still waiting to hear from the plumber for the HWH replacement. I expect to hear from him soon since it was a holiday weekend and he has many kids so probably was doing fun things.  Our gas stove heats water quickly but my lukewarm bath yesterday wasn't the usual luxurious experience.  

Another cloudy day and with not much wind.  I am going to work on an article for the garden council newsletter because this is the weather mosquitoes love. We have been blessed with near perfect weather this summer and the worst mosquitoes in years.  😡

Prayers for the people in Highland Park, the people of Ukraine and those on the care list. 🙏. Thanks for the Daily Reports! 

• Like 31

Good morning friends!  It will be a warm day today but I'll do my best to stay in the AC.  We have to leave shortly for our dermatologist check ups, but have some chores to do also since we try to group everything together and save on gas.  So I'll make this post as fast as I can.  Love all the days today.  Apple turnovers or anything sweet actually is my downfall.  Never been a work-a-holic.  Used to love bikinis and wore them in my teens, 20's, 30's, even into my 40's.  I think the quote is funny and the cookies all look delicious.  We went to Stockholm on our one and only Baltic cruise in 2011.  Had planned on doing that again this summer until the Ukraine invasion.  Which is still a very sad situation!  Prayers to all there and all their supporters, all on Roy's Care list, and family members still in need of them.  And especially today the victims of the Highland Park shooting. 🙏 Cheers to everyone celebrating!🥂

A few photos from my Stockholm experience.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-720z1JjNUVVnGUwM8BYV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616106169

Love this photo on a small bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXFhVgxIerF7RBoCKZW8QI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616106253

The view beyond the crown.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7jUwRn77MInQoMrVFGZMG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616106256

In Gamla Stan00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPgofwTGWbp56alNP2bXbu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616106277

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlsSL79Haf_MQ-t5UO8mJo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1320785629

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_FlU1AY3UoOES1_Fa-7cu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1320785635

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsMOfyb1_663XBmekBETck?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1320785663

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOv5d_MPP1ihg29XVpM9GA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616106591

This surprisingly is the first time Stockholm was our destination of the day.  

Have a great day everyone and stay safe!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning All,

We have some cloud cover this morning with a prediction of heat on the way. Today is back to normal Tuesday for both of us: DH goes to work and I resume retired life at home. Like @smitty34877, I’m still having challenges organizing myself to cook and get unpacked. 

Last night we had less illegal fireworks than I can remember. The sheriff and fire department really cracked down, and a neighbor had a search warrant served on them. My guess is they weren’t the only ones. The past 2 years we’ve had more pro fireworks from residences than pro events. Literally. What was being fired above us put Disneyland to shame. Still, our Golden needed full-contact last night and he isn’t a cuddler.

@dfish Love those variations on the cookies. I might just make the spicy one so I have a little something to give to the guards at the gate when I visit Dad. The pumpkin one will be good this Fall. (One of the guys I worked with called those cookies “nun’s farts”.)

Here’s DH’s sunflower “garden”: it’s a single plant that volunteered this year. 

89BBA309-94FF-42F8-90C5-8B14FF42595C.thumb.jpeg.057f65beeed1ee1f8fa907584c5c0b7a.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1