Carnival Luminosa New Paint

JP350

1 hour ago, bamaone said:

Because it doesn’t have a whale tail or orange life boats? There’s no way you really care what color the life boats are. The Luminosa will look just fine next to other Carnival ships just as other cruise line ships do. The company’s brand is cruising  and that’s what they are providing. I absolutely do not see anything embarrassing about another great looking ship sailing with the Carnival name.

I don’t care about the color of the life boats, but it’s a thing that differentiates itself from the rest of the fleet little things and little things lead to big things. I’ve seen it on the pride as well mantance cracked windows rust little things that shows the brand is struggling. Other lines while struggling aren’t sacrificing the mantance of their ships. Coupled with the fact that the corporation not the line has no new ships on order after next year. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth honestly.

1 minute ago, JP350 said:

I don’t care about the color of the life boats, but it’s a thing that differentiates itself from the rest of the fleet little things and little things lead to big things. I’ve seen it on the pride as well mantance cracked windows rust little things that shows the brand is struggling. Other lines while struggling aren’t sacrificing the mantance of their ships. Coupled with the fact that the corporation not the line has no new ships on order after next year. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth honestly.

So you want Carnival to add some rust to Luminosa?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So you want Carnival to add some rust to Luminosa?

I was referring to the rust and cracked windows on the carnival pride. But if I know anything about carnival she probably has her share of rust.

12 minutes ago, JP350 said:

I was referring to the rust and cracked windows on the carnival pride. But if I know anything about carnival she probably has her share of rust.

I've never met a ship that didn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JP350 said:

I can give you 35 billion reasons why Carnival is taking their time. Interest rates rising, airfare through the roof, high fuel costs will cut into profit if they can make any in these conditions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JP350 said:

no orange life boats

So, you think it would be money well spent to grind off the gel coat on the lifeboats and apply a new gel coat just to change the color?  That's not paint.

12 hours ago, tidecat said:

Since she began service in 2009, this would be the last drydock before she turns 15. It could be as long as 2027 before  she goes back to drydock.

Huh?  If they are doing a drydock now, that is not a statutory docking, and does not give them "credit" towards the docking due in 2024, which is the 15 year survey.  There is only a six month window where a docking can be done ahead of time and get credit for it.

• Like 8

My wife thinks the ship looks great. I have no issue with it either. Some people just seem to get their kicks bad mouthing Carnival no matter what the company does. Don't like Carnival, then move on. Pretty simple.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

So, you think it would be money well spent to grind off the gel coat on the lifeboats and apply a new gel coat just to change the color?  That's not paint.

Huh?  If they are doing a drydock now, that is not a statutory docking, and does not give them "credit" towards the docking due in 2024, which is the 15 year survey.  There is only a six month window where a docking can be done ahead of time and get credit for it.

I've actually seen some sources that say Luminosa had a drydock in 2021, which makes me wonder if the upcoming work will actually be done in a wet dock. It would then make sense to do the heavier work at the mandatory dry dock in 2024.

• Like 1

What a bizarre thread.  The gist of it is:

Carnival should spend a bunch of money on non-functional changes (I won't even call them "upgrades") to make a ship (possibly only temporarily borrowed) from a sister line look more like the rest of the fleet, for sailings that will occur well outside the "normal stomping grounds" of the rest of said fleet.  And they should do it immediately, rather than wait for a known drydock within the next two years.

Yeah, that's the smart thing to do with all that money that others claim they don't have, which is why the stock is tanking, CCL is going to go bankrupt, etc.

🙄

• Like 6

16 hours ago, JP350 said:

If there’s already a thread on this then feel free to delete, but carnival just announced the carnival luminosa and it looks horrendous. I’m not kidding. The livery looks like a cheap half conversion where the only goal was to save money and time. I get Freedom where the point was to get her back into service quickly, but they have time and a dry dock where they could easily make all these modifications. There’s no whale tale, no orange life boats, no new livery, and no fun ship 2.0 upgrades. This is just a cheap cost saving way for carnival to save a few bucks. I’m just gonna say it carnival is falling behind the other cruise lines.

69997625-2F41-44DC-923F-76EF945762E9.webp

I thought this was temporary and it was going to go back to costa after a while.  Why invest a lot of money into it if it is not going to stay in their service.  That would be a waste of money and would not make great business sense.  Or did I misunderstand and the ship will stay with Carnival?

31 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

I thought this was temporary and it was going to go back to costa after a while.  Why invest a lot of money into it if it is not going to stay in their service.  That would be a waste of money and would not make great business sense.  Or did I misunderstand and the ship will stay with Carnival?

Luminosa is staying with Carnival and is not joining the joint brand, whereas Costa Venezia/Firenze are and will be keeping their Costa names. 

11 hours ago, JP350 said:

Bc it’s their brand and a company’s brand is their entire business. What’s the Luminosa going to look like next to the miracle and splendor in Alaska it’s an embarrassment to be honest.

She will look just fine compared to Miracle and Splendor. 

11 hours ago, JP350 said:

I’m just saying that why is carnival constantly taking the cheap way out all the time. Carnival is cheaping out this old ship while other cruise lines are constantly bringing on new ships after Covid even though they are struggling too.

13 hours ago, JP350 said:

Yep their brand reputation is tanking fast. The Lumonisa compared to their carnival ships will be an embarrassment, and the conversion is so rushed it kinda makes me think that they are gonna send the ship back to costa but still not an excuse.

They said from the start it wasn’t going to be a full conversion, if her interiors look great then there should be no complaints. 

14 hours ago, JP350 said:

Carnival has lost its edge so to speak. They have 2 new builds for the whole corporation scheduled (22 and 23) but after that nothing. On top of that they’re taking the cheap way out with ships. If you look at their competitors Royal, NCL, Virgin, MSC, and Disney they have new builds scheduled to last them years while carnival isn’t keeping up

While they have nothing on the books for the Carnival brand, they have stuff on the books for Princess, P&O, Seabourn, etc, they have more brands to look after where as the competition only has 3-4 brands. 

Bottom line, if they can save time of her being out of service with a wet dock vs. a dry dock they will take it. It also makes sense why they are taking Luminosa over Magica which is more older and probably more out dated and would need an more lengthy and costly dry dock conversion. 

She will probably receive some Fun 2.0 upgrades but not all of them and we don’t know the full details just yet, still have 2 months to go. 

14 hours ago, JP350 said:

Yep their brand reputation is tanking fast. The Lumonisa compared to their carnival ships will be an embarrassment, and the conversion is so rushed it kinda makes me think that they are gonna send the ship back to costa but still not an excuse.

You said the same thing on your Instagram page, which is JWaltcruises. Their brand is tanking fast? Please tell us how you came to this conclusion. Also what would you have done in this short amount of time to make sure the ship is 100% CCL branding. 

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It boggles my mind how people are concerned about such things as lifeboat colors and then doesn't even understand its not paint.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JP350 said:

while other cruise lines are constantly bringing on new ships after Covid even though they are struggling too.

Define constantly?  Carnival just brought out the Mardi Gras, has the Celebration coming in November and the Jubilee for next year.  I would say thats pretty constant at 1 a year.  Carnival Corporation also has to bring out new ships for the other brands they cant always be Carnival Cruise Line ships.  They have 1 new one coming for P&O this year 1 for Princess in 2023 and 2025 and 1 for Cunard in 2024.  MSC seems to be the line thats building the most over the next couple years but they dont have many ships to begin with so its nice to see them expanding.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JP350 said:

Are you joking? How about this....open up your favorite browser, go to google.com and type in "Rust on Royal Caribbean ship"....

And tell me what you see when you select "Images" from the top. *HINT...RUST* 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Are you joking? How about this....open up your favorite browser, go to google.com and type in "Rust on Royal Caribbean ship"....

And tell me what you see when you select "Images" from the top. *HINT...RUST* 

All you rust bashers. Have you ever owned a boat that sails on salt water? Everything that is steel rusts. Non protected aluminum pits bad. Constant up keep is the only way. Basically in the NAVY. Once you finished painting you start all over again. All cruise lines fight this. When I was on the ship, If I recall. The Mardi Gras uses a lot of plastic, pvc and stainless steel on the ship to help beat this problem. 

• Like 2

I’m just reading this and laughing. 
I think Carnival is making smart business decisions. I cannot even fathom how much money it would cost to change the “paint’ color on the lifeboats and to add a whale shaped funnel. I get it, that’s carnival’s brand. But after over a year of shut down, I am sure they are still working on turning a profit. If they’re going to spend money it needs to be something that would enhance the customer’s experience, not changing the color of a lifeboat that God willing we will never use. 

As far as Carnival’s image slipping, I just don’t think I can jump to that conclusion from what they did or didn’t do to the Luminosa. Yes, they seem to want to keep it as part of the Carnival brand, but we really don’t know in the long run what they are planning. What if 4-5 years they plan on giving it back if the cruise industry changes and no one cares about Covid around the world anymore? There’s just so many unknowns. As far as rust goes, ships are made from metal, then they’re put into salt water. So there’s always going to be rust, always. I’m sure it takes constant work and maintenance to keep it under control and painted freshly. And remember that staffing issue? Oh and the global supply chain issues? I’m sure both of those are contributing to the rust and the broken glass on the Pride. You cannot repair the glass if you don’t have it to replace. I’m not defending it, but I am trying to be realistic. 

Edited by kelkel2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

As far as I know, a whale tail or stern sponson is added to a ship when needed for stability.

It is not a decorative element for brand recognition.

I think you're confusing a whale tail and a duck tail. Only ships built for Carnival cruise lines have a whale tale - it is a branded version of the exhaust stack. Many ships with a whale tale also have a duck tail.

Sadly, Disney has yet to put anything DuckTales-related in any of their ships' duck tails.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

As far as I know, a whale tail or stern sponson is added to a ship when needed for stability.

It is not a decorative element for brand recognition.

A "duck tail" or stern sponson is never "needed" for stability.  It is added to provide reserve buoyancy to reduce pitching, just as the "flare" of the bow section above the waterline does the same thing, but doesn't do anything for stability.

• Like 2