The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 1st, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Girlfriends Day, National Mahjong Day, and National Mountain Climbing Day

Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.--Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Collins
Wine of the Day - Francesco Cirelli 2018 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Destination of the Day - Gaspe, Quebec, Canada

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 08/02

Nieuw Statendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Santorini, Greece 07:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bergen, Norway eta 08/02

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/02

Zaandam

Seydisfjordur, Iceland 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0801World.thumb.png.3016770adee9d7cc11b401abb36e1088.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Excellent quote, hard to argue with anything that Gandhi said.

Good selection of days though I've never played Mahjong or scaled a mountain. I did have girlfriends in my school days.

Chicken Parmesan is a great Italian dish but I like Chicken Marsala better.

We have been to Quebec but not to the Gaspe Peninsula.

Heading to the course in a few minutes.

Congrats to Tony Finau on his second PGA Tour victory in a row, Finau is really a good guy.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit Rabbit White Rabbit (Thanks for the reminder @erewhon).  A great selection of days.  I've climbed my share of mountain's when I was younger (Including Maryland's highest a few times).  I love the Ghandi quote but don't think I've been to Gaspe.  I am starting today somewhat sad as I would have hoped someone who objected to Reverend David's sermons would have said something publicly rather than apparently flagging the posts.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Gourmet Greens, Pork Chop with Parsnip Puree, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Westerdam August 1, 2018:

dishes01.jpg

Today’s care list:

smitty’s entire family with Covid
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
JazzyV knee pain and StLouis Cruiser’s continuing leg issues
Cruzin Terri painful joints
Ren not feeling well
Quartzite DH needing neurosurgeon appointment
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Paw13
Shadow in Kazu’s care
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
Live4cruises in NCH Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
6 days for AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam 8/7 to 8/14)
6 days for Mister67 (Equinox 8/7 to 8/13)
2 days for Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam 8/3 to 8/27)
Welcome home dfish and Seasick Sailer
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (to 8/3), Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Welcome August.

Makers Mark Collins cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp Sugar
Soda Water
Garnish Maraschino Cherries
Garnish Orange Slice

Instructions
In a shaker full of ice, add Makers Mark® Bourbon, fresh lemon juice and sugar. Shake well and strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice. Top with soda and garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.51.04 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Rabbit    Rabbit    White Rabbit

Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Welcome August!  Please be a good month.

Interesting quote from a great man.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure I'll like the drink and the wine.

It's Civic Holiday Monday here in Ontario, a great excuse for a long weekend in the summer.  The weather this morning is lovely.  Bertie and I have been for a walk, not many people out and about, so lovely and peaceful.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another gorgeous morning here. A very handsome buck is enjoying an early morning rest in my back yard. Bindi is being a bit lazy this morning, no interest in an early morning walk. Of course we did have a late bedtime walk yesterday.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! @smitty34877 Terry, I am so sorry to read that COVID has hit you! Prayers for all of you, especially Tana & DH. 

@kazuJacqui, I think Shadow’s prayer has been answered. A local animal advocate shared this yesterday. Who knows what was in Shadow’s past?

C6310F63-A3B5-4805-AA59-4AC39F5265B9.jpeg.959292210f3d47381f48fd453bcc8e58.jpeg

A helpful tip for those of you working from home…

61F59EEB-444C-4710-8AA0-5A0B5169DE7E.jpeg.c966a2464e9ed6c481ff294cf2b8011e.jpeg

Chores, gym, weeding through bookmarks for websites & emails related to an upcoming trip - postponed for a year. I can not believe how much info I have accumulated.

Anyone interested in covering the “wine du jour” from August 28th - September 17th? I can provide you with an advanced copy of the list to help. I expect to have some internet access on the trip, but based on blogs I followed, there will be quite a few days with little or no internet access. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Francesco Cirelli 2018 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

This wine sounds lovely. Not widely reviewed and a bit elusive, I would love to try it, if I could find it. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $20.64.

93 Wine Enthusiast 

Freshly pressed blackberries, cherries and cranberries take on earthy elements of crushed herbs and gravel in this amphora-aged Montepulciano. There's a polished, supple feel to the berry fruit on the medium-bodied palate, with streaks of crushed mineral and earthy spice lending depth. The finish lingers long on a bright cherry-skin note. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon from a sunny 62°F NE England.

Happy 1st day of the month.

Thank you Rich for bringing us this thread every day.

Thank you Roy for Pauline's @Paw13welcome.

My wife has volunteered to post reverend David's sermons every week as long as our Dailyites want her to post it.

I have decided to change my avatar back to a cruising theme.

Pauline took my photo on a tender from Royal Caribbean Freedom of the seas on our way to Villefrance.

An excellent quote from a great man.

I'm sorry to hear that so many people have Covid and hope everyone has mild symptoms and recover quickly.

kindest regards.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220801_115701.jpg

Screenshot_20220801_115733.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Chicken parmigiana encompasses everything we love about Italian food in one bite. It’s on the menu at every “red sauce” eatery across the country. It’s found its way tucked into a hero or plated with a side of spaghetti. It’s been pounded with a mallet, coated with breadcrumbs, covered in sauce, and topped with cheese in home kitchens and gourmet restaurants for longer than any of us can remember. 

In the Old World, that’s Italy prior to the large-scale emigration of Italians to America—proteins like chicken were not widely available. As such, parmigiana was made with breaded, fried slices of eggplant in place of chicken for a dish called melanzane alla Parmigiana. When Italians arrived in America, chicken replaced eggplant as the centerpiece in the dish. They found the expensive proteins of their homeland were far more affordable and accessible in the meat markets of the new world. Such proteins included pork, beef, and veal, which all became wildly popular ingredients in many “new” favorites, including another Italian American creation, the meatball. These newly minted Italian American home cooks not only devised unique dishes based on what was available, but also adapted existing recipes to the new world’s meat-centric menu—altering many classics into newfound creations, including chicken parmigiana. Chicken parmigiana eventually spread to restaurants and published cookbooks of the 1950s.

Variations aside, chicken parmigiana as you know it always contains the same basic ingredients: chicken breast, often butterflied, breadcrumbs, Italian seasonings, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese. These ingredients can see minor changes depending on the cook’s preference, but for the most part, when you order “chicken parm” in a restaurant or your mom says it’s what’s for dinner, you know what you’re getting. 

This recipe for sheet pan chicken parmesan is no mess, no fuss, and no frying.  I love the addition of cherry tomatoes to the sheet pan instead of the traditional tomato sauce.  I think using Panko instead of breadcrumbs leads to crispier chicken.

https://damndelicious.net/2022/05/20/sheet-pan-chicken-parmesan/

Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan - No mess, no fuss, and no frying. Completely BAKED amazingly crisp-tender chicken parmesan for the entire family!

This recipe adds potatoes to the sheet pan.  Once the chicken is cooked, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese is placed on top the chicken and then the pan is put under the broiler.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/sheet-pan-chicken-parmesan-recipe/

Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan and Potatoes on aluminum foil covered baking sheet.

This recipe is not for a sheet pan; it is made in an air fryer.  Many of my friends use their air fryers almost daily.  It contains a recipe for homemade sauce. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/air-fryer-chicken-parmesan

Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

53 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I am starting today somewhat sad as I would have hoped someone who objected to Reverend David's sermons would have said something publicly rather than apparently flagging the posts.

I agree with you, Roy, and those are my sentiments exactly.  I was planning on posting something similar this morning.There’s always the ignore button.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, 0106 said:

This recipe for sheet pan chicken parmesan is no mess, no fuss, and no frying.  I love the addition of cherry tomatoes to the sheet pan instead of the traditional tomato sauce.  I think using Panko instead of breadcrumbs leads to crispier chicken.

This looks like a winner and I have cherry tomatoes that I need to use. Dinner tonight sorted! Thanks 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

National Mountain Climbing Day

We enjoy a view of Mount Beckler from our town, and Beckler Peak has become one of my go-to hikes. It is only a little over 5000 feet, and as of today most of the snow has melted. For me, it is a mountain; for our daughter, it wouldn't count as a mountain climb because there aren't any glaciers on Beckler.

Here are a few pictures from my ascent a couple weeks ago.

saddle.jpg.800ed6bd62f5538c1f9346cfe5e0054a.jpg

log.jpg.b4bf7b010d12aaaac0ba562a4eba93dd.jpg

east.jpg.61bc80ea6c1078e2f3659ad62bed8be5.jpg

north.jpg.3bb6a25b88918f3c3a78fadc7fb16030.jpg

In this final picture, if you look really closely, you can see the town of Skykomish down in the valley.

town.jpg.95ccad268ab1ccd2f69d0bada6110862.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites! 

I kept waking up, so decided it was time to get up, I fed the cats, made the coffee, turned on the news, and I'm once again ready to go back to bed.

I really do miss not having my Sunday fix of Father David.  If it keeps disappearing then someone is complaining.  I too agree with @rafinmd I wish you had spoken up.  Thing is, anyone can complain, they can be trolling or they could be a first time reader.  Who knows.  I wonder if the majority of us complained to the powers that are, if they would reverse their decision.  

@grapau27 Would your wife be willing to create an email group, and send it to us that way? I have no problem giving you my email address. Let me know.  I love your new avatar.  Now every time I look at it, I will remember Villefranche and the stained glass window I broke.... 

The dream for today was to go walking this morning, the reality of the day is that I bought a pair of shorts for DH for our next cruise, and a pocket has a hole in it, and I have to go back to the store and either get a refund, or let him pick out another pair.

I have decided to retire from the dog walking gig.  You did all tell me I charged too little, and after last weeks fall, I have decided that I am too old to put up with a bad dog that is not mine.  Five days a week I cant do what I want to do, because I have to walk that dog.  We rush home from appointments, I miss an hour a day from a job, and I cant make plans that include being gone past 1 p.m..  I understand she wants her dog walked, but I also noticed this weekend she was never home.  I will continue to walk the dog until September.  And I will give her notice today.  this gives her one month to figure out what she wants to do.  (she does have the option at her job to work from home).

I appreciated your opinion, feed back requested. 

d9995496e854087b48b01677c4c8feb1.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.  It’s a provincial holiday here - I think it is practically everywhere in Canada.  Nothing like a long weekend 😉 

Great collection of days - something for everyone.  I’ll celebrate Girlfriends as they have been such a big support to me. ♥️ Love the Gandhi quote but I don’t think there’s ever been one of his that I haven’t.  

88769261-34A2-45BC-8817-22D544EB8FE3.thumb.jpeg.159e32352a939d47bc342c8c802cfd2b.jpeg

@0106Tina - great selection of recipes.  Thoughtful of you to have included an air fryer one.  Gaspe is a fabulous place!

Liz was over yesterday to evaluate and help with Shadow.  She’s a dog trainer & semi dog whisperer.  Amazingly, Shadow responded to her so she now I have more ideas to help her.  She has a new harness now.  (Hard to see as it’s black) but it’s padded and she thinks it helps reassure fearful dogs.  

2B6416A2-7AE8-4E76-A456-01493B76AC5D.thumb.jpeg.bd8ee6b60f2ef1e92572a5418e8af669.jpeg

More importantly it lets me use the leash on her back rather than the front which makes her ballistic. (I suspect she was dragged),

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I agree with you, Roy, and those are my sentiments exactly.  I was planning on posting something similar this morning.There’s always the ignore button.

@rafinmd we need to remember that a lot of people view this thread and don’t post.  Who knows if a lurker was ‘offended’?  It’s so easy to offend when it comes to politics and religion 😬 

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I have decided to retire from the dog walking gig.  You did all tell me I charged too little, and after last weeks fall, I have decided that I am too old to put up with a bad dog that is not mine.  Five days a week I cant do what I want to do, because I have to walk that dog.  We rush home from appointments, I miss an hour a day from a job, and I cant make plans that include being gone past 1 p.m..  I understand she wants her dog walked, but I also noticed this weekend she was never home.  I will continue to walk the dog until September.  And I will give her notice today.  this gives her one month to figure out what she wants to do.  (she does have the option at her job to work from home).

YAY - good for you.  Let her find someone else.  I completely agree with your decision and I think one month’s notice is more than fair.

65200325-83C9-4811-9053-82496CBABB85.thumb.jpeg.6439610048d03ef763977c8e76d95895.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday everyone !!!!!!

9FB73638-E1C0-4001-AC10-1D0BA0650863.thumb.jpeg.bf399aed8fd76c023b1d69f667caeba7.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed

• Like 40
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I kept waking up, so decided it was time to get up, I fed the cats, made the coffee, turned on the news, and I'm once again ready to go back to bed.

I really do miss not having my Sunday fix of Father David.  If it keeps disappearing then someone is complaining.  I too agree with @rafinmd I wish you had spoken up.  Thing is, anyone can complain, they can be trolling or they could be a first time reader.  Who knows.  I wonder if the majority of us complained to the powers that are, if they would reverse their decision.  

@grapau27 Would your wife be willing to create an email group, and send it to us that way? I have no problem giving you my email address. Let me know.  I love your new avatar.  Now every time I look at it, I will remember Villefranche and the stained glass window I broke.... 

The dream for today was to go walking this morning, the reality of the day is that I bought a pair of shorts for DH for our next cruise, and a pocket has a whole in it, and I have to go back to the store and either get a refund, or let him pick out another pair.

Thank you for your kind words.

Gmail has a 25mb limit for attachments so the video won't send.

We use WhatsApp all the time on our mobile phone as it is free and no limit to attachments so I would be happy to send.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

The dream for today was to go walking this morning, the reality of the day is that I bought a pair of shorts for DH for our next cruise, and a pocket has a hole in it, and I have to go back to the store and either get a refund, or let him pick out another pair.

My UK number is 07940252551.

I think you put +44 and take the 0 away from abroad.

As Graham said WhatsApp is the best way to send it to you.

Pauline xx

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

@grapau27 My cell phone is only for work, so that wont work.  How do you see him on Sundays?  Is there a web site, or the "book of face" ?  Of course, to get that live I would have to stay up most of the night....

@kazu Shadow is so beautiful.  How old is she?  I have a calendar with dogs on it, and this month's calendar has a picture of Cirneco deli' Etna, one of the world's oldest dog breeds, same ears as Shadow.  She must come from royalty.

• Like 23

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Good Morning to everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

The beginning of a new month. It is now 22 days away from check in  ( and 67 days until sailing)! Can you tell I am excited.

Todays quote is a good one. I love my girlfriends, I have a few that have had a very important part of my life. 

Chicken parm? Now there is a winner. We all like it in my family. 

I really enjoy this thread and it makes me sad to think someone is trying to disrupt it. I only visit a few other sites on cruise critic because some are quite snarky.  Just ignore and move on. I know this thread is not always about cruising but it is about Cruisers who enjoy talking, sharing and supporting each other. Enough said.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 32

27 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27 My cell phone is only for work, so that wont work.  How do you see him on Sundays?  Is there a web site, or the "book of face" ?  Of course, to get that live I would have to stay up most of the night....

@kazu Shadow is so beautiful.  How old is she?  I have a calendar with dogs on it, and this month's calendar has a picture of Cirneco deli' Etna, one of the world's oldest dog breeds, same ears as Shadow.  She must come from royalty.

David sends us the WhatsApp around 7am UK time every Sunday.

I can forward in seconds if you want it live.

Our church service is 

10.15-11.15am

The daily usually starts around 11.30-12am when Graham posts the sermon.

Our church is St Paul's, Ryhope,Sunderland.

Post code SR2 0HH.

The church has a FB page but we never use that media ourselves.

Paw xx

Edited by Paw13
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. My girl friends are very important to me.I met my best friend when we were 8 years old at a summer camp. My sister in law is another best friend. Yes, I actually have 3 best friends and some who are really good friends.

I wondered what had happened to those sermons. If you recall, I’ve frequently commented on how many lurkers we have here. It would surprise me though if the moderators would remove posts because of them.

Last night we had a comedian at our show at the clubhouse and I was laughing till I was crying. He didn’t tell jokes, but just talked about life and that was funny enough.

I’m meeting a friend for lunch who is up from Florida and planning to eat outside and hoping to avoid the predicted rain. We need rain desperately. One of the trees in my yard already has orange dead leaves.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25