The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 13th, 2022

richwmn

The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 13th, 2022

Today is Left Hander’s Day, Middle Child's Day, and National Garage Sale Day

Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.--Veronica Roth, Divergent

Meal Suggestion for today - Italian Joes on Texas Toast
Drink of the Day - Elfs Kiss
Wine of the Day - Januik 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia Valley (W
Destination of the Day - Copenhagen, Denmark

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/14

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 08/14

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 18:30

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands eta 08/14

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0813World.thumb.png.d8927ac6f030ea51d8f6f657af96185b.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.

Sunny and 80°F at the moment.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Great days and excellent quote.

Copenhagen is one of our favourite cities having been there 4 times as guests of Anthon Berg Tom's Danish chocolate and once pre cruise In May 2015 before a Baltic cruise on Serenade of the seas.

Wishing everyone good health.

Take care.

Graham.

16603870921161939211094002491636.jpg

IMG_20220813_085621.jpg

IMG_20220813_114519.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool morning here, only 7C (44F) but supposed to warm up to 24C  (75F) this afternoon.

A good collection of days, my dad and brother are both lefties.   I'm a middle child.  I won't be having a garage sale, I have some stuff I don't want and need anymore, but they'll be donated.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope I'll like the drink, I'm sure I'll like the wine.

We were in Copenhagen many years ago.  Our Gems of the Baltic cruise sailed from there.  That was pre-digital photos for me, so I won't be posting pictures.  

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  No middle children and I don;t think any lefties in my immediate family.  Garage sales are a great way to downsize.  I like the Roth quote.  If you are really fearless you are likely a danger to others as well.  I've been to Copenhagen  just once, Elegant Explorer in 2015.   Not sure what the meal is.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Roasted Rack of Veal with Prosciutto and Sage, and Almnd and Orange Cake A La Mode which might have been my choices on Rotterdam V (the day we visited Ketchikan) on August 13, 1997.

Today’s care list:

Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems and rebound Covid
ger_77 DH now covid positive
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Bon Voyage Copper10_8
4 days for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
1 day for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Welcome home Cat in My Lap
Welcome home  Mister67

Capture.JPG.4ef8ad8fda3505705048cf584b753683.JPG
AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  No middle children and I don;t think any lefties in my immediate family.  Garage sales are a great way to downsize.  I like the Roth quote.  If you are really fearless you are likely a danger to others as well.  I've been to Copenhagen  just once, Elegant Explorer in 2015.   Not sure what the meal is.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Roasted Rack of Veal with Prosciutto and Sage, and Almnd and Orange Cake A La Mode which might have been my choices on Rotterdam V (the day we visited Ketchikan) on August 13, 1997.

Today’s care list:

Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems and rebound Covid
ger_77 DH now covid positive
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Bon Voyage Copper10_8
4 days for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
1 day for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Welcome home Cat in My Lap
Welcome home  Mister67

Capture.JPG.4ef8ad8fda3505705048cf584b753683.JPG
AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Many thanks Roy for keeping the lists updated daily.

Graham.

• Like 13

Elfs Kiss Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka
1 part Midori®
1/2 part Simple Syrup
1 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
2-3 slices of Fresh Ginger, Peeled
Cranberry Juice
Garnish: Cranberries

Instructions
In a shaker, muddle ginger and simple syrup. Then add Midori®, Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka, and lemon juice and shake until chilled. Strain into an ice filled glass and gently top with a float of cranberry juice. Garnish with cranberries and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 7.18.42 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking like the family picnic might get rained out today.  Rain is threatening.  We do have a covered picnic area, but the kids won't be able to use the playground if it does rain.  Well, they probably could anyways.  Kids don't seem to mind.  

The meeting with the realtor went well.  Things are opening up here a bit so there will be some choice in homes in my price range.  That is good news.

Today's meal is a great one.  Basically, we are swapping out the hamburger buns for Texas toast and melting some cheese on top.   I always liked sloppy joes and the sloppier the better.  The first recipe comes from Taste of Home and it is pretty basic and super easy.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/italian-joes-on-texas-toast/

1221654234_Italianjoes1.jpg.9db375f4ec201002bfd8fdb04b9b3ac7.jpg

Italian joes takes out the sweet and replaces it with Italian herbs, marinara sauce, garlic and mozzarella.  That is a winning combination in my book.   https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/italian-sloppy-joe-sandwiches/

731304076_Italianjoes2.thumb.jpg.b30cc44cd22005b5b4e0e9cb9f7878b0.jpg

The next recipe is one that helps cut the calories a bit and follows the Weight Watcher point system.  I would use real butter to make my garlic toast.  Nothing compares.   https://theskinnyishdish.com/italian-sloppy-joes/

2090479994_Italianjoes3.jpg.214f556df1eb2dc5a602a0c8c433f9e4.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. The sun is just breaking through the marine layer here. Our weather pattern has finally returned to a normal Florida Summer pattern with afternoon and/or evening thunderstorms. 

Jacqui, @kazu praying that you and Shadow find the help you both need. I will always picture her prancing around in your yard. Hugs to you both. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. @Cruising-along, Carolyn had you not shared our Editor-in-Chief’s birthday with us last year, I would not have been able to “beat you to it”! Thank you again. 

Just one class today, but I have some of my gym buddies coming over for a pool party. Still have stuff to do. And hoping we don’t have a T-storm later.

Love this philosophy….

BDDBD70C-7CC4-4175-A49B-4926470E545E.jpeg.0296d34e3b9782ee63b50fc23246d04d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Januik 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon

My local wine bar’s owners are big fans of Mike Januik and his wine making skills. He shares a tasting “room” with the Novelty Hill folk in Woodinville, WA.  This Cab has excellent ratings and a reasonable price. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $28.99.

Winemaker Notes

This supple, bold Cabernet Sauvignon is loaded with red and black fruit flavors as well as plum, mocha and cedar notes in the nose. Its texture is quite refined and shows great structure across the palate, imparting a long, ample finish that was developed in part from the use of new French Oak barrels. 

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

The aromas are brooding, with notes of coffee, cherry, vanilla and sweet spices. Layered, rich, intense chocolate and cherry flavors follow. It’s hedonism in a glass, with plenty of structure to support it all. Editors’ Choice.

JS91 James Suckling

Black fruit, cassis, walnut, praline and hints of black truffle on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with firm, supple tannins. Juicy and ripe with good structure and weight. Slightly candied finish. Drink or hold.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Its another beautiful day with low humidity.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes confirmed that for me.  Yesterday the vacuum cleaner died so a replacement is on the agenda for today since there is no sales tax.  I hope everyone has a good Saturday.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's 58F in Cincinnati and should be a nice day for a birthday lunch with the family.  Three of our DD's kids will be there, one is in Cleveland for a concert this evening.  Two of them here are going to a Zac Brown concert tonight so that's why we are having a lunch instead of dinner together.  By the way DH celebrates Left Handers Day every year on his birthday since he is one.  He was also born on Friday the 13th.  What a unique individual!  😘  I am confused as to whether I'm a middle child or not.  Mom had a previous marriage and had my half sister Nancy who lived with us.  I am the first born of twins and then I have a younger brother.  So I'm a first born and a middle child. As for garage sales, I had a few in my day but none for decades now.  We just donate!  My thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and fleet locations.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebrations lists.  So many to pray for!  I hope all our prayers help in some way.🙏  Prayers from all of us here for Jacqui and for Little Shadow.  Also, a shout out to the celebrants.  Have a wonderful day all of you. Tomorrow morning we will be leaving Cincy very early, before our Daily is posted, and make our way home.  Hoping for nice weather and sane drivers!  I will "see" you all later in the day.

Thanks to Debbie @dfishfor the interesting photos and recipes.  Have a fun day with the family, rain showers or not.  Thanks also to Dixie @summer slopeand Ann @cat shepardfor the drink and wine information.  I'll pass on both.  Love the housekeeping meme!  Pretty much all of us can relate to it!

Copenhagen was our port of the day June 3, 2021.  We have been there 4 times on the Emerald Princess and Prinsendam.  On our first trip there we stayed in a hotel near the train station and Tivoli Gardens, and it was sooooo tiny there was barely a spot to put our luggage.  Just enough room to walk around the bed!  Our cruise ship cabin felt large in comparison.  My favorite photo from our first day in Copenhagen is Nyhavn which we all probably took one just like it.  I see one already posted!  But this photo made the cover of my cruise photo book.  I love the colors and the beautiful blue sky.enhance

In 2016 when we visited Copenhagen on the Prinsendam we got out early and actually got a photo of The Little Mermaid with no tourist trying to climb on the statue.  (What is wrong with some people?)enhance

After the statue, we passed by the beautiful St. Alban's Church.enhance

We decided to go on a canal boat tour which is a good way to spend an hour and see many of the sights of Copenhagen from a different angle.  It was great and I recommend it if you've been to Copenhagen often and have done other types of tours.  You even get to see the Little Mermaid statue from the water with the crowds of people.  There's one of those silly tourists.enhance

Or you could see the Opera Houseenhance

You can see the spiral of the Church of Our Saviour over this roofline.enhance

If your photo of the church spire is not the best you can go on the internet and find one a professional photographer took.  Quite a difference!  But isn't it pretty?

church-of-our-savior-copenhagen-denmark-jon-berghoff.jpg

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7

If you've walked by the St. Alban's Church I showed you earlier you remember this powerful looking fountain in front of it.  enhance

enhance

Another place you may or may not have seen is where the gazebos are located that the Danish Royal family wait in to board their yacht.  They wait in the one with the crown on top, their guests wait in the other one.  Of course!enhance

Here is the Amalienborg Palace complex where the Royal Family live.  It's not far from the yacht gazebos.enhance

enhance

There are actually four palaces on this square, one at each corner.  In the center of the plaza is this statue.enhance

The Marble Church (also called Fredrik's Church).enhance

on our 2017 Kiel Canal cruise on the Prinsendam we actually arrived in the evening and spent the night in Copenhagen.  Here is an early morning shot as we headed into the downtown area.  This pic makes me feel peaceful.enhance

This is from our walk through the Kastellet, a pentagram-shaped fortress built in the 17th century.enhance

enhance

See the windmill behind this gorgeous building?enhance

enhance

This is what we like to do in many of our ports - just walk through and see what life is like there.  We don't always need a tour, right?enhance

enhance

I wish I was in Copenhagen today!  enhance

•  
  •  
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone, happy Saturday.  I haven’t been on the Daily much lately as I’ve gotten so busy at work that I haven’t had any spare time.  I’ve always admired lefties as I couldn’t use my left hand to do much!  I always think of Jan from the Brady Bunch when the subject of middle children comes up.  A garage sale would be fun today.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but I hope to someday.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  I hope @kazucan find the help that she needs for Shadow.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!🎉

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!

Two weeks ago I got switched from selling for one of my campaigns to fundraising.  I do believe that fundraising takes a skill that I just do not have.  I was just about to throw in the towel, felt like I was wasting the company's money.  I talked to one of my bosses (who co shares this particular campaign) and told her my idea....she said, not yet.  Don't quit yet.  And yesterday about 20 minutes into my pathetic attempt at fundraising, my screen asked me if I belonged in another campaign.  I said sure, not knowing when I said yes to the computer, I was back in sales again.

When I worked  a job that I was not happy in, when I was younger, I stuck to it, for as long as I could.  I only left one job because I hated the job.  Life is short, with this job, I have found if I'm not happy to just speak up, and i am usually placed somewhere else within two days.  In the last year I have worked with 9 different campaigns, and I know that in September I will be rotated into another one.  

My plans for today, work both jobs, then go to Krogers, then dinner, then to the Farmers Market.  We have not been for several weeks, and I am hoping that the prices for meats and veggies are less at the farmers market than a box grocery store.

Fear- it is good to be afraid of some things, it keeps us away from dangerous situations if we know what the outcome may be.  Fear is a motivator, it gets you up  off the sofa. It makes you do what you need to do.  

@cat shepardI love your meme today.  I read a comment from Erma Bombeck years ago that said, don't ever worry about not having your friends over if the house is messy.  They came to see you, not the house, and if the house bothers them, then they aren't your friends.

I finally figured out how all these stray cats find me-

69f4e68ddc24fceb4baeba40898732ab.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

A misty cool Saturday here in the UP.  It is probably the second day we woke to a full day of clouds and rain all summer.  It is 56. Much different than our view when fishing yesterday. The clouds made up for our worst day (catching no fish) all summer.   

Thank you for the Daily Reports!  Today's cocktail is a no but the meal and the wine look like a great pairing.    @kazu prayers for Shadow and you.  Prayers for all on the care list.   🙏 Thanks for the Copenhagen photos, it makes me want to visit. Have a wonderful day!

IMG_20220812_113133141_HDR.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from an overcast day at the beach

We had a wicked thunderstorm during the night that went on for over an hour. Very unusual for us. More rain expected this afternoon.

I am the 2nd of 5, so sort of middle? Although I think my sister  has that honor. A lot of lefties in my family. I use both hands. The Nuns would not let me use my left hand when I was young. Forced my right. So now I write backwards and golf with my left. 

Never been to todays port. Thank you Sandi for the pictures!

I was able to change my outbound flight after almost 2 hours on the phone yesterday. So no driving from LA. Fingers crossed it does not change again, we had booked this one direct on our own.  Flight Ease still working on our trip home. Must call them again. Probably should have done that one myself also, although the fares were better.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I am a left hander. Our middle child, a daughter was a little devil when she was young, but she has turned out to be wonderful.

Yesterday was a difficult day as we watched the funeral of a dear friend we met in 1958. It was sad and very meaningful at the same time.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and all who contribute. Looks like a great day for yard work. I plan to work around the house most of the day. But that's ok because I spent last evening going to the Art walk around Mobile with my grandchildren. We had dinner and then stopped for rootbeer floats and enjoyed the music and vendors.  

• Like 24

Good morning. It is a beautiful  cool day here with a wonderful  breeze.I may try dog walking later as the conscripted teenager states he "has no time".Oh my.

I was the only one in my family growing up who was right handed.My father actually went to the Catholic  school to state that his sons were left handed and will not be forced to write with the opposite hand. They stopped insisting on it.He was quite assertive.

Years later I was a supervisor on a stroke unit and  did a study on ambidextrous  stroke patients and the difference  in their recovery patterns. 

We have been to Copenhagen  remember a tiny hotel room similar to Sandi's. It was our first time in Europe and we had a lot to learn!

I think things are a little  better for Tana today and the rest of us are doing well.The fatigue is  an issue but at least we otherwise feel well.We have 24 hour help for Tana for a while which is a huge blessing. 

Debbie, I love the recipes today and am inspired to try the Italian  one.Thanks.Enjoy your family party,even in the rain.

Terry

• Like 31