A few questions about my cruise

Oldgoat61

We haven't sailed on Carnival for roughly 10 yrs.  We will be sailing out of Galveston in Oct. on the Dream.  My first question is this (I know the buffet, and Guy's etc. will be open), but, is there an MDR that is open for lunch on embarkation day?  Second question....we always sail with carry on luggage, is there a place that the ship has designated to store it until the cabins are ready?  

Thanks for your input!

Answer to both questions are no. The MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day and really not any day except for Sea Day Bunch that ends at noon or 1:00.  As for your luggage you have to keep up within until the cabin is ready. I personally, would never carry-on everything. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Answer to both questions are no. The MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day and really not any day except for Sea Day Bunch that ends at noon or 1:00.  As for your luggage you have to keep up within until the cabin is ready. I personally, would never carry-on everything. 

Slight correction: they’re changing sea day brunch end time to noon.

I agree about minimizing carry on luggage because you have to lug it around with you until the cabin is ready.  But, you should carry on any medical equipment, medications you can’t do without, and bathing suits if you want to use the pool before luggage arrives (which may not be until very late in the afternoon, sometimes even early evening if something gets misplaced and they have to hunt it down (which has happened to me).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Oldgoat61 said:

Second question....we always sail with carry on luggage, is there a place that the ship has designated to store it until the cabins are ready?  

1) In thinking about this, I've been to hotels on land where I could store bags for several hours until they were ready to check me in.  It was considered a concierge service, so the proper thing seemed to be to tip a few bucks on pickup.  Looping back to Carnival, I haven't seen or heard about this service by Guest Services, so I suspect it isn't there, but...

2) Platinum & Diamond members have been officially authorized to drop off their carry-ons in the cabin if they want.  You might have to open a door to the corridor, but it's easy enough to do.  Even if you're not P or D, you could probably get away with dropping them off.  It's highly likely anyone is going to check your status (indeed, your card will be in an envelope beside the door).

Edited by Honolulu Blue

i agree, the Sail and Sign cards are delivered to room almost as fast as you can get from check in to the room.   im sure you'd be able to drop the carryon luggage and then return to common areas.  (wife is platinum and i do have to open closed door to cabin hallway, but im sure us "goldies" can do so also) 

Carnival does not have space to store luggage before rooms are ready.

If you plan to carry on a lot of luggage, I would recommend waiting to arrive at port until a little later on so you don't have to carry around your luggage for hours. Take it from me there is nothing happening on the ship between 10AM and 1PM except it getting progressively more crowded so you won't be missing much.

Even if you can physically open the doors to the stateroom corridors does not mean you should unless you're a suite guest, platinum, or diamond. But that is up to your own conscience.

• Like 4

While MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day, Lido buffet, Guys, Iguana are not the only options.  I believe they are opening Cucina for lunch again, but I could be wrong (I am sure someone on board can correct me on this).  There are other options besides the busy Lido area.

You will need to carry your bags with you until the room is ready, including to new muster drill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

Does anyone know what time the cabins are normally ready? 

Officially, it’s 1:30pm. I’ve been on ships where the PA announcement was at 1:00ish. 

as a tip, many “lost bags” are due to cabin tags being ripped off during transfers. I fold the tags, then reinforce them with the clear, wide packing tape, front and back. It makes them MUCH more difficult to tear off.  image.png.d90ddebbf767bf064360a54270d849f8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

1) In thinking about this, I've been to hotels on land where I could store bags for several hours until they were ready to check me in.  It was considered a concierge service, so the proper thing seemed to be to tip a few bucks on pickup.  Looping back to Carnival, I haven't seen or heard about this service by Guest Services, so I suspect it isn't there, but...

2) Platinum & Diamond members have been officially authorized to drop off their carry-ons in the cabin if they want.  You might have to open a door to the corridor, but it's easy enough to do.  Even if you're not P or D, you could probably get away with dropping them off.  It's highly likely anyone is going to check your status (indeed, your card will be in an envelope beside the door).

Hotels allow guests to leave luggage with guest services because thousands aren’t checking in at the same time.

• Like 1

Technically there are 2 places you could "store" your luggage. First, is giving it to the porter. It will be with all of the other luggage until it is delivered to you. Second, which may not be an official process. Usually you can drop it off in your room. I've done this and it really wasn't a huge deal.

Personally, we are usually in a hotel the day before anyway. We just stay there to avoid all of the hustle and bustle until a 1 pm checkin. Then we just walk right to our room.

• Like 1

There are those on here advocating for folks dropping their bags at the room. Note that's a PRIVILEGE reserved only for P/D and suites (I think). Do the days and earn it. Otherwise check the max w/ a porter and carry the minimum so you can easily handle it until rooms open. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, jsglow said:

There are those on here advocating for folks dropping their bags at the room. Note that's a PRIVILEGE reserved only for P/D and suites (I think). Do the days and earn it. Otherwise check the max w/ a porter and carry the minimum so you can easily handle it until rooms open. 

You are correct: I can confirm, Suites also.  I won't be surprised when Carnival takes this perk away from Ps & Ds due to the overwhelming numbers of passengers doing this.  And how much do you want to bet that some of the very same Ps and Ds that suggest others break this rule will then complain about this privilege being taken away?🙄 

The Room Stewards are hard at frantic work behind those closed hallway doors trying to get all the cabins ready.  The halls are crowded with carts, vacuums, garbage bags, and hurrying, overworked human beings.  Carnival allows this privilege to the few.  It was never intended for the many.  Carnival tried to curtail the uninvited from opening those hallway doors and intruding by removing the signs that invited P, D, Suite, and FTTF (when it existed) to come in.  But with people spreading this bad advice on forums like this, as well as word-of-mouth, a lot of good that measure did.  Mark my words: Carnival will revoke this free perk if the abuse continues.  Be considerate, folks and follow the rules.  How hard is that, really?

Edited by ShakyBeef
Forgot an Oxford comma! I'm so ashamed.
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Good point. I hadn't thought about that.👍

Right. Do the math. I've seen passengers with 4 or more pieces of huge luggage each! What a fiasco to store and retrieve for 3000 people. Just port check it, and ensure it is adequately labelled. 

• Like 1

If you haven't sailed Carnival in a while I have a good tip. People often ask for ice because they say that their fridge doesn't work well but they actually work quite well, it's just that they get pushed back in the cabinet that holds them. Pull it forward as far as it will go (so that the door just closes) and it will work very well and your beverages will be very cold. Have a great cruise!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If you haven't sailed Carnival in a while I have a good tip. People often ask for ice because they say that their fridge doesn't work well but they actually work quite well, it's just that they get pushed back in the cabinet that holds them. Pull it forward as far as it will go (so that the door just closes) and it will work very well and your beverages will be very cold. Have a great cruise!   

i do this and i pull it forward enough that the door wont close. i leave it open over night. helps cool everything down

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, bambam said:

Officially, it’s 1:30pm. I’ve been on ships where the PA announcement was at 1:00ish. 

as a tip, many “lost bags” are due to cabin tags being ripped off during transfers. I fold the tags, then reinforce them with the clear, wide packing tape, front and back. It makes them MUCH more difficult to tear off.  

We bought some inexpensive reusable plastic tag holders and steel wire to put our tags in and attach to our luggage.  They would have to tear the tag loose from the luggage to get it off.  Works well using the same ones for several years now.   We now take the ship tags out when onboard and put the disembarkation tags in the holders to keep them from being ripped off.  

Amazon.com: Cruise Luggage Tags Fit Cruise Ship Tag Holders Cruise Essentials & Zip Seal Clear Reusable : Everything Else

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We bought some inexpensive reusable plastic tag holders and steel wire to put our tags in and attach to our luggage.  They would have to tear the tag loose from the luggage to get it off.  Works well using the same ones for several years now.   We now take the ship tags out when onboard and put the disembarkation tags in the holders to keep them from being ripped off.  

Amazon.com: Cruise Luggage Tags Fit Cruise Ship Tag Holders Cruise Essentials & Zip Seal Clear Reusable : Everything Else

we use those too. we lent them to my in laws when they went. def worth it

On 9/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Also keep the cabinet door open when possible (e.g. when you leave the room) so the warm created by the fridge (actually a cooler) doesn't keep recirculating in the cabinet.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:28 PM, ShakyBeef said:

The Room Stewards are hard at frantic work behind those closed hallway doors trying to get all the cabins ready.  The halls are crowded with carts, vacuums, garbage bags, and hurrying, overworked human beings. 

Be considerate, folks and follow the rules.  How hard is that, really?

Had a suite for the first time last week on Valor and an EXcellent cabin steward. Henri has been with Carnival for 10 Years and was FABulous. I had a chance to speak to him briefly and he told me he has 35 (!!??!!) cabins to attend to with 1 assistant. He made me a towel "birthday cake", filled our ice bucket without being reminded and did a Great job always with a smile and asking what more he could do for us. The Stewards on Carnival have been among the best we've experienced.

Edited by wikoffclan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Also keep the cabinet door open when possible (e.g. when you leave the room) so the warm created by the fridge (actually a cooler) doesn't keep recirculating in the cabinet.

It works for me without keeping the cabinet open as long as I pull it forward far enough. Plus, It's a tripping/bumping hazard with the door open. I can see why others do it and it makes sense, I just haven't found it necessary.