The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 18th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Cheeseburger Day, National Women's Friendship Day, and Wife Appreciation Day

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.--Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Stuffed Shells
Drink of the Day - Lazy Day Colada
Wine of the Day - Forstreiter 2019 Ried Kremser Kogl Gruner Veltline
Destination of the Day - Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/19

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 09/19

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Glacier Bay, Alaska eta 09/19

Nieuw Statendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Malaga, Spain

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

0918World.thumb.png.bd8c2e25105eb99333a30ed5e8c44055.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

We have just left church and we called at McDonald's for a coffee, cheeseburger and chicken wrap and are sitting at the beach looking out to sea.

I appreciate my wife always.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Livorno is a nice port and it is close to Florence and Pisa.

The ships tend to dock in La Spezia now which has a nice promenade but is twice the distance from Florence and Pisa.

16634990092522287261096807273886.jpg

• Like 26

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll take my burger without the cheese and appreciate Wife Appreciation Day and Women's Friendship.  One year ago today I was back in upstate New York for my 60-year high school reunion.  Interesting point of view by Wilde.  The meal sounds interesting, the stuffing is the key.  I have not been to Livorno although I was supposed to be last year, bringing the Carnival Legend to Baltimore.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Junior cat starting to feed
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Good oncologist report for bennybear
Welcome home lindaler
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A warm morning here, already 19C (67F) going up to 25C (77F) and chance of showers this afternoon.  Bertie and I will go for a walk when it's a little bit lighter outside.

Cheeseburgers for dinner!  Yes, that's what we'll have.  I have some wonderful women friends.  I'm fortunate to have a husband who makes me feel appreciated every day.❤️

Not sure I agree with the quote, but it is food for thought.

Well, I've already decided on cheeseburgers for dinner, but easy stuffed shells sounds good too.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Thanks for the drink recipe, sounds good to me.

I hope the wine is good.

We were in Florence several years ago on a HAL cruise, I wonder if I can find some pictures?  I'd love to go back.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning everyone.  A cheeseburger sounds delicious.  We are going to a Greek food festival at a Greek Orthodox church later today.  They host it every summer but we’ve never gone, can’t wait!  Interesting quote today.  Both the meal and drink suggestions sound like winners to me.  Have not been to today’s port yet but will visit next October, looking forward to seeing today’s photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll take my burger without the cheese and appreciate Wife Appreciation Day and Women's Friendship.  One year ago today I was back in upstate New York for my 60-year high school reunion.  Interesting point of view by Wilde.  The meal sounds interesting, the stuffing is the key.  I have not been to Livorno although I was supposed to be last year, bringing the Carnival Legend to Baltimore.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Junior cat starting to feed
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Good oncologist report for bennybear
Welcome home lindaler
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
I had already planned on cheddar and bacon burgers on the grill for dinner tonight. 
   2 weeks from today I’m supposed to be boarding Nieuw Statendam. Still not sure I’m going, just not sure I can handle everything on my own with my hand. 
   I spoke to the Dr office on Thursday and supposedly Medicare will cover it but they want me to sign papers for payment if they don’t. Of course they don’t know the cost or if my other insurance will cover it, no response from them.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Cheeseburger for lunch sounds like a good idea. Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good too.  Yesterday I walked through the garden center and came out with three bushes to fill in the spot where one died.  After more cleaning up in the yard I went back to the garden center and got four more shrubs.  I’m planning on putting them into the ground this morning.  We also brought in more plants and need to do more today.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.png.dbd2f9143da50f8eb1bb4f5230b7aebe.png

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!

Welcome home, Ann @cat shepard.  Can't wait to hear all about your trip.  Yesterday was a productive day.  Dan, the handyman, came over and put in the new bathroom fan.  We hung the new smoke detector/radon detector on the wall outside the bedroom doors.  I tested it and I doubt many could sleep through that.  Then, I made Dan do an inspection of the house with me and we found two minor things that we need to do, so I put them on the Dan list that hangs on the fridge.  Dan told me to expect the inspector to come up with a list of items that needed work because that is what they do.  Then I spoke to my next door neighbor who moved in last April.  He said they had to replace the joists between the first floor and the basement because they were bowed due to a pet urinating on the floor above all the time.  The inspector never caught it.  

On to food.   We had stuffed shells not too long ago, but these are EASY stuffed shells.  Actually, all stuffed shells are pretty easy to make.   This first recipe gives us a tip to use a pastry bag with the end cut off to fill the shells.  It makes things quicker, easier, and definitely less messy.   https://www.momontimeout.com/easy-stuffed-shells/

1815497182_easystuffedshells1.thumb.jpg.ad6d23a51133ff6361959e7ad631b5e7.jpg

Now, let's shake things up a bit.   Stuffed shells don't have to be the expected filling and sauce.  Really, you can stuff those shells with anything you want.   Here, I offer you a wonderful chicken alfredo stuffed shells recipe.  https://www.plainchicken.com/million-dollar-chicken-alfredo-stuffed-shells/

1955878882_easystuffedshells4.thumb.jpg.47474b23e05b804c71553d0f7073a9a2.jpg

This one is a little more traditional but it has sausage in the filling.   https://kitchenswagger.com/sausage-stuffed-shells-recipe/

543591910_easystuffedshells5.thumb.jpg.a0b4e2973c57573aef4405b507dbd490.jpg

In this recipe we are stuffing the shells with chicken and broccoli and using a creamy cajun sauce.  

https://grandbaby-cakes.com/chicken-stuffed-shells-recipe/

1780103020_easystuffedshells6.thumb.jpg.dd06e7361c36252d8f6ad971eb6f721c.jpg

You can even have shrimp scampi stuffed shells as Ree Drummond shows us.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/shrimp-scampi-stuffed-shells-5623756

1363111493_shrimpscampistuffedshells.jpeg.1fed12e735988d73362d24102ead53bd.jpeg

Or how about shrimp and crab together?   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-seafood-stuffed-shells/

The possibilities are endless.  So, go forth and create.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.  I'm going to pack boxes.

seafood stuffed shellls.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning. Every day is wife appreciation day. Like a cheeseburger now and then but the calories don’t like me!

We had nice NY strips cooked over charcoal last night and today we are having a turkey breast. We had a fun time playing and entertaining our grandchildren. The hugs and kisses I just got made the five hours of driving worth it!❤️
We originally were going to stay until Tuesday morning but we are going back tomorrow morning due to an unexpected appointment.

In texting my SIL, who was on the Noordam yesterday it was sunny and blue skies as they were sailing to Vancouver.

I have a little one who demands my attention so I’ll sign off with a thanks to all and wishes for a great day.

Bruce

• Like 29

DSIL still doesn't have her Sept 13 full body and brain cancer scan results. She anticipated learning the results tomorrow but that appointment has been cancelled by her doctor because the surgical center doesn't have the chemo port she needs in stock. 

You may wonder why she needs a chemo port if the scan results aren't known. We did, too. 

DSIL has agreed with her oncologist to start chemo later this week (plus every 3rd week for a year) based on just the melanoma locations found in her Aug 22 biopsies. However, if the needed port can not be located, this treatment may not start as her veins have been found too weak for IV chemo.

What she faces when the body/brain scan results are known is definitely unknown and we are very surprised she isn't waiting for those results before agreeing to start treatment. But, it is her choice and as a retired RN, she is not an uninformed patient.

DSIL still says she isn't strong enough for even a short visit. My DH isn't able to drive, so we offered that I'd drop him off to allow them, as sister and brother, to have a few private hours together. She declined that, too. 

Our prayers continue. It seems it's all we can do…

-Melisa

(Note to @rafinmd: Thank you for having DSIL on the Care List. I don't know whether she should move to the Rotation List or remain on the main list. I trust your wisdom.)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  A chill in the air this morning again with 58F and 100% humidity.  The weather forecast for the next 10 days is sunshine with highs in the 80's and low 90's with cool overnight temps.  Not too shabby!  Thanks to Graham @grapau27for posting Father David's sermon for us.  And another thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Good for Volendam docked in Malaga today.  Everyone must be thrilled to be somewhere different.  Wonderful set of days to celebrate.  I'd love a cheeseburger for lunch or dinner today but chef DH has other plans I think.  Women's friendship day and wife appreciation are worthy causes for all our ladies.  The recipes and photos of stuffed shells looks soooo good Debbie @dfish.  I think you are very smart to get all the little repairs done now before the inspector shows up.  I agree with handyman Dan that inspectors try to find something/anything to put on the report to show they are worth their fee.  Welcome home Ann @cat shepardand Linda @lindaler.  We're waiting patiently to hear about your cruises!

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said for all on the list, neighbor Linda, and those family and friends we've lost recently.  Also for the people of the British Commonwealth for the passing of the Queen.  The whole world will miss her as she was loved by many.  Cheers to those on the "happy" list!  We're glad you have nice things happening in your lives.  Another cheer to Ren whose new team the Jaguars (up a step in soccer due to aging out) won their first game last evening.  Ren scored two goals.  My DS had to leave after the first goal to catch a flight to Amsterdam, then connected to his flight to Milan where he is attending an engineering conference and moderating a workshop tomorrow.  Hopefully he won't forget to enjoy Milan while there.  

As for our port today, Livorno, Italy it was last posted here on March 19, 2021.  I found it on Rich's posting activity on page 65 and here is a link for those who need to retrieve photos from back then.  There are many of us who have stopped there on our Mediterranean cruises because it's a popular starting point for nearby cities like Florence and Pisa.

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done! 

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already.  

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous and we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.  

Our route to the sea in Manarola.enhance

enhance

enhance

Getting on the train in Manarola.

enhance

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  enhance

Eating outside in Vernazza.enhance

Why we didn't take the boat!enhance

enhance

On the train on our route to Monterosso.enhance

And our view upon arrival.enhance

It was a quite interesting town.  Their view of the sea was the best I think.  After a while we started looking for a spot to eat lunch.  enhance

enhance

And wine...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKYhOr54MdtI6Rjxods32j?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084228

Enjoy your next trip to Livorno!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

I would love a cheeseburger and anticipate having one at the Dive-In, on the Koningsdam, less than three weeks from today. I appreciate my wife so much that I will be driving her to Vancouver for a cruise to Hawaii.

Today, we will be adding a couple of hours to our trip to the coast because of the Highway 2 closure. Although most of the people that had been evacuated were able to return home yesterday (level 3 evacuation adjusted to level 2 for Baring, Grotto, and Money Creek area), the highway is closed from Money Creek to Skykomish. There have been large trees falling down onto the road for the past four days and nights. A 200-foot Douglas fir with a girth of 45 to 50 inches is not something to fool with while it is hurling itself toward you. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

In honor of today's cheeseburger day many fast food restaurants are offering a free cheeseburger for several days.  We had ours for dinner last night with some pepper jack cheese and some of last precious farm sweet corn.   Thank you for the Daily Reports Rich.  So happy to see that the Volendam is entering the Mediterranean.    We are now at 99 days countdown for our pre-Grand SA cruise.   Prayers for all on our care list, the people of Ukraine and the people of Puerto Rico.   🙏

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the photos of Liverno.  As a port city it is very pretty.  

@HAL SailerI have found and scanned the recipe for King Ranch Chicken.  I am going to leave the recipe out and make it again before we kick into the Atkins 

I am working on the final payment for our cruise today.  Paying a chunk and then going into my credit card and pay that so that I don't go over my limit.  Should be complete by tomorrow.  Have a great day!   

chives CS 61822.JPG

King Ranch Chicken.pdf

• Like 27

Happy Sunday morning to my friends and Daily-ites. Thank you for Father David's sermon Graham. Thank you Rich, Roy, Debbie, Tioga and Dixie for your faithful posting. 

Last night we played Mahjongg, Code Names, and UNO. Ate too much junk food. I appreciate my girlfriends so it's a good day to celebrate them.

image.png.b51c235e4d4f578bee9c68eb0fea8c4f.png

Love the thought of a juicy cheeseburger without the cheese. It is possible we may have that tonight. Debbie's shell recipes look wonderful though.. hmmm. 

image.png.b5c168dd2f103b55a29f2464e40b730e.png

Not much on our agenda today. I'm waiting for Claudio to refill our mulch in front. The armadillo have been tearing up our lawns and beds. Our neighbor across from us has trapped 3 so far. He says he "relocates" them... 

image.png.39a88697a834c4d100beed9b93b0f07d.png

Have a Blessed Sunday and an awesome week! 

• Like 25

Good Morning from a warm but again cloudy day at the beach

Heavy rain came in again yesterday with more expected today.  Needed so no complaints. It also makes me get  things done here.

Love stuffed shells. They are a favorite here.  Also enjoy a good cheeseburger.  Although today we are having steak on the grill, early before the rains return.

@cat shepardand @lindaler Welcome home. Hope you had a wonderful trip!

@dfish That is what inspectors do- they find stuff. Sometimes they are a little ridiculous with their findings. All part of the process.  

My task today is to clean out and condense my houseplants.  A friend is taking them while we are gone. The outside container plants are going to my nephew. He said he was going to plant them. 

Lots to think about and arrange before the trip. Never been gone this long before.  I am so glad I took the advice of my CC friends and booked the luggage service. It will make things a lot easier.  I also booked the hotel at the airport for the night before. We have a 7am flight and are an hour away. It will still be a very early morning but less of a hassle.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24