The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 25th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone from outside the Marion, Michigan Public Library.  Fortunately, their WiFi signal is strong enough to reach the parking lot.  

Glad to see @kazuhas weathered the storm.  Been thinking of you, Jacqui.  

We found a house we like and are putting in an offer.  Here’s hoping this one goes through.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Going to get my second shingles shot and our flu shots tomorrow.

Good luck and hopefully you have no side effects.

I get my flu jab on October 7th at my GPs surgery and the Autumn booster on October 8th at a local pharmacy.

Graham.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone from outside the Marion, Michigan Public Library.  Fortunately, their WiFi signal is strong enough to reach the parking lot.  

We found a house we like and are putting in an offer.  Here’s hoping this one goes through.

Great news and good luck with your offer.

Graham.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

Happy to hear that you found something you are happy with.  Prayers that the offer is accepted.

Terri

• Like 19

@dfish great news on the house.  @marshhawk the ship will always handle ports at local time.  On a westbound TA the clocks will generally change at 2AM, trying to stay as close to what the local time where they are would be as possible.  Eastbound transatlantics are more variable.  Some like Cunard always change at noon, so your days are shortened but you will never be sleep deprived.  Crystal always changed at 2AM making one a bit tired if the cruise is short.  I think on HAL it's captain's choice, sometimes 2AM and sometimes noon.  My first HAL TA was unique.  Twice the clocks were changed twice in a day, one hour at noon and another overnight making a kind of proportional although shortened day.  I liked that but generally prefer noon time changes rather than losing an hour of sleep.

Roy

• Like 22

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Fingers crossed that it works out for you.🤞

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yay!  I'm glad you found something that you like, and praying the offer is accepted.  Let's hope this seller is anxious to sell and not a foot dragger!

Does Sue live in Marion, and that is why you're sitting in the public library parking lot?  Did you tell us once DS doesn't have internet?  

• Like 21

Thanks for the information about the time change.  We will leave on Rome time,  with a stop in Spain, two stops on Portuguese islands and then Grand Turk, the end up in Tampa.  15 days.  Plenty of time to readjust to new time zones.

@dfishI hope that you get the house that you want!  My fingers are crossed for you.  I read once that buying a house was the third most stressful thing that you can do in your life, and after I bought this one, I totally agree.  So prayers are being sent your way too.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Jim Cantore will start reporting from Clearwater Beach at 9am this morning.

@aliaschief and all:

Well, that didn't happen. TWC has a different reporter, Paul Goodloe, on Clearwater Beach now and it just said Jim Cantore will be there "tonight".

- M.

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just off glorious and fabulous week on NS , Boston to Quebec City yesterday.

can see the ship in the harbour from my hotel. Watching the Canadian broadcasting Network TV  news the lovely little towns we just visited like Sydney and Charlotte town have been hit hard by the hurricane.

walked on those streets just a few days ago… It’s hard to see and believe. Not sure what the itinerary will be as the ship is probably sailing  today back to Boston ?

Cate

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

Happy Rosh Hashanah!   Thank you for the Daily Reports.  I love the quote by Einstein.  I always hated when I took piano lessons that I had to memorize pieces.  Why when the notes are right there.  @0106Thank you for the recipes!   I loved the look of the Saltimbocca!  Pass on the cocktail but the vino looks wonderful.  I look forward to the Monterey photos.  We never made it there because our trips would always veer north to Napa and Sonoma.   

Debbie, I am happy you found a house up in Midland.  Praying that your offer is accepted and NO issues! 

@marshhawk We loved the DR coffee also.   I brought back a pound for my sister for watering my plants when we were gone, among other things.   I am afraid I won't be enjoying it in the future because decaf isn't a popular thing.    BTW anyone interested in a tasty decaf the Kirkland in the three pound can.  I really can't tell the difference.   

Prayers for those in the Canadian Maritimes.  @kazuI am glad that it wasn't a direct hit for you.  Wow making 100+ name tags for your roll call is a lot.  We have 87 signed up for ours in January.   

Prayers for all on our care list.  Thanks Roy for compiling this list for us.     Prayers for the people in FL facing down Ian.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine and PR.   

Today is another lousy day.  It is always good to have a crummy day for football so I don't feel guilty not tending my yard.   Go Ravens!   Instead of 9 hours of football I think I will switch to the Yankees RedSox game at 7pm to see if Aaron Judge gets his homer for history.    

In 2020 we stayed at our cabin late into September to avoid Covid.  We usually don't get this view while we are at the cabin.    Colors should be changing quickly as they had their first frost at the fall equinox.  

Have a wonderful Sunday!   

Our Road 92520.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

I have been to Monterey and made the obligatory trip to the aquarium.  Never was into comic books, nor cartoons for that matter.  I was interested to read the various ways to make smoked mozzarella.  Thank you for that, @0106.  I use liquid smoke in my chili and bbq sauce.  Gives them a nice depth of flavour.

Thanks for the Fiona report, @kazu.  Happy to hear that all is well at your house but sad for those who are now dealing with the aftermath.  Your rooster meme made me laugh.  Hoping for the best for those in the path of Ian.  If he’s anything like my Cousin Ian (he died age 46) you’re in for a wild ride.  😂

Happy to hear that all is well on the fishing boat, @smitty34877!

All the best to those getting flu shots and Father David’s biopsy!  I had my flu shot in August at the same time as my booster.  I lived.  @summer slope, how were the shingles shot(s)?  I need to get those.

@dfish, you found a new house!!  Very excited for you.  I was hoping we were going to hear good news!!  Wishing you all the best for a satisfactory negotiation.

Today I will attempt to shop for the things I was unsuccessful at finding yesterday.  Also going to visit Macy’s, although I hate clothes shopping.  Yesterday’s visit to Kohl’s was a bust.  It’s always hit and miss with clothing stores.  Sometimes you leave with bags of goodies and sometimes you leave empty-handed.  

I’ve managed to reschedule my hair appointment to the morning of my flight (Wednesday) although I had to go with a different stylist.  Fingers crossed.  Tuesday will be a write-off as I will be out the door first thing and won’t be back until late.  (FIL’s funeral)  That leaves today and tomorrow to get organized and fully packed.  Last night I had a panic attack when I thought today was Monday.  I am hoping for a peaceful day today.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny central Texas where the breeze is trying to start.  Yesterday's UT game was a good game with one exception.  UT lost in overtime.  😒

HAPPY ROSH HASHANAH to all our Jewish friends.  As someone who wears hearing aides, I will honor world deaf day, but not celebrate it.  It's been a long, long time since I read a comic book.  There is a large comic book section in the used book store in Waco.

Albert Einstein's quote is good advice up to a point.  Somethings need to be remembered.

The meal looks good, especially the first recipe.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting.

In 2000, while on a train trip, we spent two days in Oakland and rented a car one day.  We drove the 17 Mile Drive and through Monterrey.   That trip was before I got a digital camera, so I don't have any pictures to share.

@Cruzin Terri  Terry, I'm glad you are preparing for evacuation just in case, and I hope by a week from today, you will be able to go on your anniversary trip.  

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you made it through the storm without a lot of damage.  I was thinking yesterday that several of the stops on the Canada/New England cruises would be missed for a while.

@HAL4NOW  Thanks for the update on the Bolt Creek Fire and the pictures.  I am hoping the firefighters have been able to bring the fire more under control during the time it has been moving slower.  Stay safe.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thank you for the pictures of Monterey.  Stay safe from Ian.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad Camilla's dad and the crew are safe and that he could let the family know.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm sending positive thoughts that Father David's biopsy is negative.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad that you and Sue found a house  you like.  I'm hoping that the seller is motivated and is not a "foot dragger".

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Just now, *Miss G* said:

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

I have been to Monterey and made the obligatory trip to the aquarium.  Never was into comic books, nor cartoons for that matter.  I was interested to read the various ways to make smoked mozzarella.  Thank you for that, @0106.  I use liquid smoke in my chili and bbq sauce.  Gives them a nice depth of flavour.

Thanks for the Fiona report, @kazu.  Happy to hear that all is well at your house but sad for those who are now dealing with the aftermath.  Your rooster meme made me laugh.  Hoping for the best for those in the path of Ian.  If he’s anything like my Cousin Ian (he died age 46) you’re in for a wild ride.  😂

Happy to hear that all is well on the fishing boat, @smitty34877!

All the best to those getting flu shots and Father David’s biopsy!  I had my flu shot in August at the same time as my booster.  I lived.  @summer slope, how were the shingles shot(s)?  I need to get those.

@dfish, you found a new house!!  Very excited for you.  I was hoping we were going to hear good news!!  Wishing you all the best for a satisfactory negotiation.

Today I will attempt to shop for the things I was unsuccessful at finding yesterday.  Also going to visit Macy’s, although I hate clothes shopping.  Yesterday’s visit to Kohl’s was a bust.  It’s always hit and miss with clothing stores.  Sometimes you leave with bags of goodies and sometimes you leave empty-handed.  

I’ve managed to reschedule my hair appointment to the morning of my flight (Wednesday) although I had to go with a different stylist.  Fingers crossed.  Tuesday will be a write-off as I will be out the door first thing and won’t be back until late.  (FIL’s funeral)  That leaves today and tomorrow to get organized and fully packed.  Last night I had a panic attack when I thought today was Monday.  I am hoping for a peaceful day today.

The first shingles shot wasn’t bad. Just a sore arm. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Really not sure what the weather is going to do today or this week. Watching the updates on Ian.  They really dont know where it is going yet. 

I have a few appointments scheduled the end of the week in preparation for our trip .  Things may be jumbled up a bit.  As long as everyone is ok, that is the main thing.

@kazu Glad you came through OK. Be careful with clean up. Of all my years working as an ER nurse, most injuries  and deaths came after the storm.  

@dfish Hope it all works out for you!

Today we are packing and going to do some preliminary storm prep.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites.

It's good to hear from Jacqui that she's still with us! Hope you faired the storms and there's no damage to the trees. Oh goodness the damage Fiona brought to your country.

For those of you in Florida:

image.png.2c9c776b694961a730a2e30fa8d3ddbb.png

image.png.3aab6eb19915cdb4603f30af3730fe14.png

Gosh if it weren't for our future sailors there wouldn't be much on our celebration list! Hurray Debbie that you and Sue found a home! Hope everything flows perfectly. That we can celebrate! 

image.png.f0b2ddb10ed0352eefedbfff4a35cbbe.png

To our Jewish friends 

image.png.f7af966bfe9a64a6e596349d20daa03a.png

image.png.b07d3a945c0d726c4ec95b3f2ac5c185.png

The last time I even thought of a comic book our neighbor's were arguing over them. She said she'd get rid of her hundreds of National Geographic's if he got rid of the 10 boxes of comic books. They were still in the garage last I knew.

Wishing everyone a Blessed Sunday. Thanks to Rich, Roy, and the F & B ladies fir your faithful contributions. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Spell check
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Shanah Tovah to all who are celebrating Rosh Hoshanah today.  It's interesting that we have World Deaf Day just after having Sign Language Day.  I haven't read a comic book in ages, but do read the comic strips in the daily newspaper.

Wow, watching the news coverage of Fiona, and now the brooding Ian makes me so grateful to be living on the "frozen tundra"!  We don't have to worry about our houses being washed away or flooded out.  I saw photos this morning of one home in Cape Breton that was filled with sea foam - just imagine how awful that must be; and the smell!!  @kazuI'm so glad you're safe and hope there's little to no damage to your trees and property.  

@smitty34877so glad Camilla's dad was able to get word back that they were safe; I think I'd be mainlining the meclizine if I had to be out there!  LOL

@dfishwill keep my fingers crossed that your offer is accepted - quickly - and that the home is everything you are both looking for.

A quiet Sunday is in the offing for us - DH will drive his topless car out of town to the storage centre where it will rest for the winter.  Our neighbour stores his boat there as well, so they'll travel together and DH will get a ride home with him.  I may take that time to do a quick shopping run to see what clothes I might find for our upcoming cruise.  Like most of you, I don't need anything, but it's always nice to find something new to add to the wardrobe.

I like today's menu suggestion, and had planned on making a small casserole of baked spaghetti for us today.  I think in my shopping trip I'll check to see if I can find any smoked mozzarella to add to the mix so we can enjoy it for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially those in the path of Fiona and Ian, and cheers to the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

51 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yay!  I'm glad you found something that you like, and praying the offer is accepted.  Let's hope this seller is anxious to sell and not a foot dragger!

Does Sue live in Marion, and that is why you're sitting in the public library parking lot?  Did you tell us once DS doesn't have internet?  

Sue refuses to get internet and right now it’s her house her rules.  I assume that will change once they’re co-owners.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And  thank you all for being here! Have a great weekend!

Happy Rosh Hashanah for our Jewish friends!

@dfish Debbie, fingers crossed on your offer for the house!

@0106 Thank you Tina for today's pasta recipes. I must have a streak of Italian in me (I don't!) as I absolutely enjoy Italian cooking. I have the Stanley Tucci series saved on the DVR.

Sue was up early today just to try and get a parking space. Our adjacent town, Staunton, VA where Sue is a member of the Co-Art Gallery and assumes the position of Board President in January, is having their annual "Queen City Mischief and Magic" festival. It draws around 10,000 visitors many whom are Harry Potter fans. For Sue it is one of the days this month that she volunteers at the Gallery. With so many people expected, they use remote parking and bus visitors in. She was successful in parking in her usual lot only three blocks away.

Some photos including a member dressed as a Hogwart's staff member and baby dragons just hatching.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

0925220939_HDR.thumb.jpg.9cb9a37a1962908d93e602d626f644e5.jpg

0925220948.thumb.jpg.c6fab4dc7dfe17aa735148f28778f03d.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Rosh Hashanah is actually tomorrow (and Tuesday for some of us), but the religious day begins at sunset the evening before. The Junior Cat is hoping that there will be gefilte fish for dinner, but she's going to be disappointed.

I have no formal role in the services until Tuesday morning when I'm scheduled to chant Torah. The reading is from Genesis 22, the binding of Isaac. There is no good explanation why it is the reading for Rosh Hashanah. The only obvious connection is that the denouement involves a ram caught by its horns in a thicket, and on Rosh Hashanah we blow the shofar, which is made from a ram's horn. (However, the really large ones used for dramatic effect, and sometimes better sound, are made from kudu horns.) However, if a rabbi has no other ideas, it provides a sermon topic.

I'm lactose-intolerant, but mozzarella tends to be low in lactose, since most of the lactose ends up in the ricotta cheese, which is a byproduct of the same process.

I think that Sherlock Holmes preceded Einstein by saying not to learn anything that one didn't need to know, because it would crowd out something more important. On the other hand, a friend who teaches chemistry says that most of the scientists who made important discoveries had great stores of information in their heads, and he thinks that internalizing lots of information helps to make associations that otherwise wouldn't be obvious.

896781469_scienceforcats.thumb.jpg.a872b62b3e2ac88e389843b01fe2a5a4.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 7