Carnival “May”Crackdown on Chair Hogs

sunonfire

To me this seems like a nothing story - nothing new here - the policy is unchanged and I recall the policy being posted on my Fantasy cruise in 2014. As with every other Carnival rule - it’s meaningless if its not enforced. Where is the evidence they’re suddenly going to enforce their rules? I haven’t seen any.

• Like 1

one of my pet peeves, on most all cruise lines.  

my wife will sunbathe but i just skip it.  we do try to hit some resorts for a day when on land, which i enjoy.  

since there are so many chair hogs i'd be just fine eliminating all chairs and pools on lido and building something funtastic.  

• Like 2

On past cruises CCL used colored dots placed on loungers with the time written on them.  I have seen that (at times) remove items and place them in a net bag behind the towel stand/hut.  I have also often seen cruisers stop by their lounge, remove the dot, and disappear again.  No idea how CCL will begin to enforce this again - unless they move the bacon police down to become lounge police.

This would be great! It would also help elevate their product in an easy to do fashion. If people have better experiences they will tell others about how nice it was. Constantly having to battle to find a lounger or chair is certainly frustrating and all the folks who openly tout about going to the dollar tree or thrift store to buy a cheap book/sunglasses to reserve a chair, even more so. Hope they actually do it and then people can see/report real results.     

• Like 1

On the Mardi Gras last October they were enforcing this in the Serenity deck area. Attendant would leave a sign and come back later, if people hadn't returned he would take their belongings to the towel stand. We were there one morning and saw four loungers lined up with random objects thrown on them. They were empty for at least two hours before the attendant placed the sign, the people finally got there about an hour after that and were royally pissed. Too late, their chairs were taken by then.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Constantly having to battle to find a lounger or chair is certainly frustrating

I don't know if the Cunard Line still does this but when I crossed on the QE2 transatlantic I paid $8 for 5 days for a reserved deck chair with a card with my name on the back of the chair signed by the Deck Steward Sean. In this photo you see Sean assisting guests and serving hot cups of beef bouillon with soda crackers to a passenger. A Deck Steward was present and on duty all days during daylight hours.

I wonder how much people would pay Carnival at one of the Lido Deck pools for daytime reserved seating? Would Carnival consider charging a fee for reserved chairs if hogs continue to hog and guests complain?Sean.thumb.jpg.50e2692ee3597fbe83e7b18b4aed48c1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

I don't know if the Cunard Line still does this but when I crossed on the QE2 transatlantic I paid $8 for 5 days for a reserved deck chair with a card with my name on the back of the chair signed by the Deck Steward Sean. In this photo you see Sean assisting guests and serving hot cups of beef bouillon with soda crackers to a passenger. A Deck Steward was present and on duty all days during daylight hours.

I wonder how much people would pay Carnival at one of the Lido Deck pools for daytime reserved seating? Would Carnival consider charging a fee for reserved chairs if hogs continue to hog and guests compl

They did this on my first-ever cruise back in the 80's.  Looking back it was a pleasure not having to run around to find a lounger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

I wonder how much people would pay Carnival at one of the Lido Deck pools for daytime reserved seating? Would Carnival consider charging a fee for reserved chairs if hogs continue to hog and guests complain?Sean.thumb.jpg.50e2692ee3597fbe83e7b18b4aed48c1.jpg

Fancy! And all that space, you can actually walk between rows! 😍

• Like 1

I was on one cruise where a person arrived early to reserve the entire Starboard side of the Serenity deck for his group by placing items on the loungers.  He has the only guest occupying a lounger on that side of the deck.  The deck steward made her rounds and placed paper tags with the time marked on the unoccupied loungers.  As soon as the deck steward went to the Port side of the deck, the designated chair hog removed all of the paper slips from the loungers.

7 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

I was on one cruise where a person arrived early to reserve the entire Starboard side of the Serenity deck for his group by placing items on the loungers.  He has the only guest occupying a lounger on that side of the deck.  The deck steward made her rounds and placed paper tags with the time marked on the unoccupied loungers.  As soon as the deck steward went to the Port side of the deck, the designated chair hog removed all of the paper slips from the loungers.

That guy's full time job was defending his group's chairs. Incredible way to spend "vacation" isn't it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

These are the type clowns that ruin it for everyone else and make folks not want to sail again. What a frustrating experience, just the kind of person you want to make walk the plank or hope gets left behind at the next port. Completely inconsiderate and the reason we can't have nice things/experiences. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomCruise48 said:

Perfect! 

1 hour ago, Bgcruising said:

Wouldn't the attendant just look over from the other side and see? It all comes down to enforcing the rules.

The attendant would need x-ray vision to see through steel plates.  The Starboard and Port sides of the Serenity Deck on this ship were separated by an interior elevator lobby. 

28 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Crackdown on Chair Hogs Vs Crackdown on pot. Who wins ???😇

Chair hogs are worse IMO, keep the pot in the designated smoking areas and it doesn't bother me much, chair hogs though, I'd like throw them overboard lol.  

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor
3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Chair hogs are worse IMO, keep the pot in the designated smoking areas and it doesn't bother me much, chair hogs though, I'd like throw them overboard lol.  

My point, I'm finding it strange that Carnival would project themselves into the spotlight over chair hogs. While they ignored the issue in the past. So obviously the Mary Jane Wanna scores.🙃

The Havana pool deck was surprisingly crowded on our recent Horizon sailing and on sea-days it was difficult to find an open lounger.  I DID see timed cards placed on several chairs, but didn't see whether the (excellent) deck staff cleared the loungers after 40 minutes.  The no-chog policy and the 40-minute timeframe were posted at the Havana towel kiosk.   

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This would be great! It would also help elevate their product in an easy to do fashion. If people have better experiences they will tell others about how nice it was. Constantly having to battle to find a lounger or chair is certainly frustrating and all the folks who openly tout about going to the dollar tree or thrift store to buy a cheap book/sunglasses to reserve a chair, even more so. Hope they actually do it and then people can see/report real results.     

That's what is no nice about the Havana area on some ships. Don't have to deal with that nonsense.

I don't believe for a second that they will enforce it.