The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 24th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Hinu Diwali Day, National Bologna Day, and United Nations Day

A good friend will always stab you in the front.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - dijon chicken
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Cranberry Cider Punch
Wine of the Day - Chateau Ste. Michelle 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley
Destination of the Day - Darwin, Australia

Eurodam

Panama Canal

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 08:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay 08:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Uturoa, French Polynesia

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination New York eta 10/26

Volendam

At Sea Destination Santorini Island, Thira, Greece eta 10/25

Zaandam

Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia 08:00 - 17:30

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Noumea, New Caledonia eta 10/26

Zuiderdam

Lautoka, Fiji

1024World.thumb.png.a23ad71e16efe7046928acde52cd8d7e.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone.  Happy Diwali Day, I’ll take good over evil any time!  It’s nice to see that bologna has it’s own day I grew up with it in my lunchbox (Snoopy if you must know!).  The UN certainly has been busy lately.  Interesting quote by Wilde.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port, hope that there are some photos today.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

Good morning.  Happy Diwali.  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

Another nice day in the forecast for us, sunny and a high of 22°C (72°F), pretty good for late October.

Municipal election day here in Ontario, I'll vote later today.

I'll pass on bologna but celebrate the United Nations.

Good quote.

I think I'll like the meal suggestion.  The drink and wine sound good too.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good afternoon.

Sunny and 15°C here.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days.

I don't want friends who Stab me in the front or back.

Nice food and wine today.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham.

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Sunny and 15°C here.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days.

I don't want friends who Stab me in the front or back.

Nice food and wine today.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221024_120221.jpg

Screenshot_20221024_120250.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I never heard of Diwali before today but will gladly celebrate it.  I like bologna but will rarely eat it but celebrate the United Nations.  Interesting quote by Wilde.  I have not been to Darwin and would prefer my chicken without the dijon.  My alternative is Chilled Kiwi and Melon Fruit, Irish Stew, and Apple and Pear Crisp which is what I would have enjoyed on MS Amsterdam October 24, 2017 if I had not been on a long tour in Beijing.

Today’s care list:

RIP StLouisCruiser friend Beverly 10/18/22
RIP Kazu’s Friend’s brother
HAL4NOW and DW testing positive on Koningsdam
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quaartzite Cruiser DH second surgery and rehab
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Shipsthe Best
Phillies and Astros
Great family visit for msmayor
Aliaschief off for a river cruise
Bon Voyage Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3)
Welcome home (or to quarantine) HAL4NOW
AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) and Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll celebrate bologna day since that’s my lunch meat for this week.  @seagarsmoker I just realized that we are in the cabin below you, hopefully we will see you in the lounge.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to seeing the pictures and recipes.  Tucker and Jasper have their annual check up this afternoon.  For me that means a shortened work day!  
After the visit to the vet I’m going into semi quarantine before we fly to catch the NA.  So this will apply until then.

image.thumb.png.e44de367c91948e3dd6a15473cda4d12.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Happy Diwali & United Nations Day!  Agree with the Wilde quote 😉 and the meal suggestion sounds good!

561C8E79-FC6C-4B6B-8A24-68E8B83F3BD5.jpeg.2227bb84d106642bfe2bde5100d3f842.jpeg

Yesterday was pretty much a lost cause as time was taken with meeting with my sweet neighbour who will be caring for the house, cooking & delivering to my dear friend.  I thought I would just drop off but she wanted my company so that pretty much polished off the afternoon & early evening. Too much sadness and similarity between her loss of her brother & mine of Jose 😢 

So, I’m a bit tardy with these comments but @HAL4NOW I am so glad you have tested negative 👍 sorry your better half has not yet 😔

@Quartzsite Cruiser - You and your DH have been in my prayers and thoughts.  Hoping all goes well today and your DH has a quick recovery 🙏🏻 

I guess today I will go back to yesterday’s “to do” list and see if I can at least get that one done.  I fear house cleaning is on that list 😬 

5BD06ED2-18D9-4282-899A-1F4DB62BC423.thumb.jpeg.52b1b33fef2467ecf7fa0114d108ae53.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!!

0477AC48-AF2F-43CD-AD3C-6B7AEA1A8A0D.thumb.jpeg.38201ac4fbdbac4b0422ba5f41a28f09.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when /where needed.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. It is just getting light out now. Looks like another stunner of a day!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, praying all goes well for DH and you today. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! @0106 Tina thank you for all the time and care you put in to providing the recipes!

I was a bit rambunctious in my gardening yesterday. I lobbed off a lot of dead/dying branches at the bottom of my Meyer lemon tree - and many were at weird angles. My arms are feeling it this morning, but my tree really needed it. I will wait a week or two before shaping it. I may skip the gym this morning. 😱

This one looked familiar to me. Hope it was not here that I saw it before… think how much fun cats would have with this!  Not sure if Bindi would chase it or ignore it. 

7AA5B54D-9815-46AE-975D-847EFBE1F417.jpeg.fa4728bf9d9c185afc277d361ac45c31.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Chateau Ste. Michelle 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon

This Washington Cab has very good - excellent reviews from consumers and critics. Its reasonable price makes it an easy one to try. Available from numerous online and brick & mortar distributors with prices starting at $11.49.

Winemaker Notes

#1 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Best Buy of 2021 Chateau Ste. Michelle crafts this Columbia Valley Cabernet to highlight concentrated Washington red fruit in an accessible style. This is an inviting Cab with plenty of complexity and structure with silky tannins. It's also very versatile with food.

Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Syrah, 2% Merlot, 1% Malbec, 1% Petit Verdot, 1% Grenache, 1% Cabernet Franc.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

The aromas are unmistakably Cabernet, bringing full-on notes of black currant along with dried herb and a kiss of spice. The flavors are ripe, luxurious and remarkably fruit forward, with the oak pleasantly dialed back. It shows plenty of richness in the middle.

W&S89 Wine & Spirits

A lot of wine for the price, this leads with scents of turf and cedar, as well as a dusty earth component that had all of us tasters seeing red…earth. the flavors are very firm, somewhat tannic, nothing a decanter can’t sort out, or sic it on a steak. Best Buy

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning. It continues  to rain on and off and the dogs seem to have cabin fever. The people here have had it for a while.

I will celebrate  Diwali and United Nations day and look forward  to the recipe. I never cared for bologna but also had it almost every  day for lunch in my younger years. We have not been. to the port.I don't  want to get stabbed at all.

I hope all goes well for Lenda's DH today @Quartzsite Cruiser

DD sent me this picture  this morning. Cats know how to relax!

10177.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

Another busy day in store for me.  I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned today.  That will give me time to get established with a new dentist up in Midland.  And then I continue packing.  I think that will never end.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Hoping all goes well today and that your DH has a rapid recovery this time.  

Dijon Chicken is an easy and versatile dish to make. You can play with the seasonings, substituting tarragon for the thyme, and substituting different types of mustards.  Grainy dijon works as well as the creamy smooth dijon.  This is a great dish for weekday meals that you need to get done quickly.  It is also low carb for those of us watching carbs.  It would go well over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower.   https://www.spendwithpennies.com/dijon-chicken-breasts/

503604175_dijonchicken1.thumb.jpg.4de5980b1302d9f72543a52f70631942.jpg

This one pounds the chicken breasts until they are a uniform thickness.  This helps achieve a uniform doneness when cooking.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dijon_chicken/

436771356_dijonchicken2.thumb.jpg.867209335f2c0ccf6d69b736c0102bc3.jpg

This one uses chicken thighs and includes spinach, bacon, and parmesan.  That is a nice twist on the recipe!  https://cafedelites.com/creamy-dijon-chicken/

1987843733_dijonchicken3.thumb.jpg.e1b167e4f7fb8e1b53af28dc9a2fb118.jpg

This next one is a sheet pan version and uses some maple syrup in the recipe.  The chicken is roasted with vegetables making it a wonderfully healthy meal.  And decadent as well.  https://cafedelites.com/creamy-dijon-chicken/

2094785491_dijonchicken4.thumb.jpg.e5f6018f7cd45b23c9932cfa5bcbb36d.jpg

This last one is quite different as it coats the chicken in a parmesan/breadcrumb mixture and then bakes it.  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/parmesan-dijon-chicken/3688dc3f-8cdf-45a0-8650-70df55985be8

1100666324_dijonchicken6.jpg.14bd588413729a77944ae3561e4daee0.jpg

Now, a public service announcement of sorts.  I have to go to Midland next weekend for the closing on the house.  That means I will be without internet access on Saturday and Sunday and unable to post the Meal of the Day.   Also, I will be without internet November 4th and 5th.  Those are the days I am moving and will be too busy to post anyways.  Tina is going on a much deserved cruise as is Jacqui, so the Meal of the Day will be on hiatus those four days.  I'm sure we'll survive.  There is always pizza.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  We had a warmer morning at 44F so we got up and walked outside today, our usual 2.5 miles.  It was so darn dark!  We noticed we don't hear the rooster crow in the morning anymore and hope nothing has happened to it.  Perhaps it's too dark for him to wake up!!

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I used to eat bologna sandwiches a lot when younger, but haven't had one in many years.  Never heard of Diwali Day but cheers to those celebrating it.  The United Nations could use more international funding so good luck to them.  That is quite a quote this morning.  Hope never to be stabbed front or back by anyone, friend or foe.  The dijon chicken sounds unique so will check out the recipe.  Thank you to Roy @rafinmdfor the long lists today.  Prayers are being said today for all on the list, especially Lenda's DH @Quartzsite Cruiser.  We're hoping for good news on that later on.  Prayers also for my neighbor Linda who is not yet home from the hospital/rehab.  Roy, I think Beverly can come off the list since they have held her memorial service.  She will remain in our hearts and prayers however, as well as her DH who is also our dear friend.  Prayers in addition to the people of Ukraine and those who are picking up the pieces literally after Ian and Fiona.  A shout out to those on the Celebration list!  Hope everyone enjoys their happy events and most of all their cruises!  And Jacqui @kazulove the memes today.  Hope you get some things checked off your list today.  That's always a good feeling.

The port destination is Darwin, Australia which was posted here on July 3, 2021.  Here is the link to that date for all who need to retrieve their photos.  Mine are shown  below the link.

If you don't like heat and humidity, be glad that you haven't been to Darwin!  I was there twice, in Nov. of 2013 on Diamond Princess and in October of 2017 on Sun Princess.  And even though I hate heat and humidity I'm not sorry I was there because I love seeing Australia.  

When you arrive in Darwin, you walk off the ship and head through a parklike area towards an ELEVATOR so that you can head into the downtown area.  Yes, an elevator.  It's a very unique place. enhance

enhance

Walking through the parkenhance

Approaching the glass elevator areaenhance

Leaving the elevator looking back towards the park and water.enhance

Christmas decorations seen along our walkways, since this visit was in late November.enhance

Heading towards the shopping areas of town we pass by statues and town hall ruins.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We also walked near the Parliament buildingenhance

When we reached the downtown area, we noticed the overhead sun protection and misting stations to keep people comfortable while they shopped.  Something I haven't seen too often in my travels.enhance

I don't suppose they'd mind if you slipped off your shoes and cooled your feet in this spot.enhance

You could even learn a little history if you took the time to read this bronze plaque.enhance

By this time we were ready to retrace our steps and enter the cool air conditioned interior of our cruise ship.  Even with their tropical climate, I am willing to visit the capital of the Northern Territory anytime!!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Cruzan Cranberry Cider Punch:

Ingredients
1 cup Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
4 cups Apple Cider
2 cups Cranberry Juice
2 cups chilled Ginger Ale
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
½ cup Cranberry Simple Syrup
Garnish: Cranberries
Apple Slices

Instructions
For the Cranberry Syrup, combine cranberries and water in a saucepan and simmer until cranberries pop and split. Remove from heat and add sugar, stirring until it’s fully dissolved. Let cool.

For the punch, in a large pitcher combine the cranberry syrup mixture with the rest of ingredients except ginger ale. Store in the fridge for at least an hour. When ready to serve, pour into a rocks glass over ice and top with cold ginger ale. Stir to combine then garnish with cranberries and apple slices and serve.

Serves 8.

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 8.17.53 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I never heard of Diwali before today but will gladly celebrate it.  I like bologna but will rarely eat it but celebrate the United Nations.  Interesting quote by Wilde.  I have not been to Darwin and would prefer my chicken without the dijon.  My alternative is Chilled Kiwi and Melon Fruit, Irish Stew, and Apple and Pear Crisp which is what I would have enjoyed on MS Amsterdam October 24, 2017 if I had not been on a long tour in Beijing.

Today’s care list:

RIP StLouisCruiser friend Beverly 10/18/22
RIP Kazu’s Friend’s brother
HAL4NOW and DW testing positive on Koningsdam
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quaartzite Cruiser DH second surgery and rehab
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Shipsthe Best
Phillies and Astros
Great family visit for msmayor
Aliaschief off for a river cruise
Bon Voyage Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3)
Welcome home (or to quarantine) HAL4NOW
AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) and Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Another busy day in store for me.  I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned today.  That will give me time to get established with a new dentist up in Midland.  And then I continue packing.  I think that will never end.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Hoping all goes well today and that your DH has a rapid recovery this time.  

Dijon Chicken is an easy and versatile dish to make. You can play with the seasonings, substituting tarragon for the thyme, and substituting different types of mustards.  Grainy dijon works as well as the creamy smooth dijon.  This is a great dish for weekday meals that you need to get done quickly.  It is also low carb for those of us watching carbs.  It would go well over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower.   https://www.spendwithpennies.com/dijon-chicken-breasts/

503604175_dijonchicken1.thumb.jpg.4de5980b1302d9f72543a52f70631942.jpg

This one pounds the chicken breasts until they are a uniform thickness.  This helps achieve a uniform doneness when cooking.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dijon_chicken/

436771356_dijonchicken2.thumb.jpg.867209335f2c0ccf6d69b736c0102bc3.jpg

This one uses chicken thighs and includes spinach, bacon, and parmesan.  That is a nice twist on the recipe!  https://cafedelites.com/creamy-dijon-chicken/

1987843733_dijonchicken3.thumb.jpg.e1b167e4f7fb8e1b53af28dc9a2fb118.jpg

This next one is a sheet pan version and uses some maple syrup in the recipe.  The chicken is roasted with vegetables making it a wonderfully healthy meal.  And decadent as well.  https://cafedelites.com/creamy-dijon-chicken/

2094785491_dijonchicken4.thumb.jpg.e5f6018f7cd45b23c9932cfa5bcbb36d.jpg

This last one is quite different as it coats the chicken in a parmesan/breadcrumb mixture and then bakes it.  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/parmesan-dijon-chicken/3688dc3f-8cdf-45a0-8650-70df55985be8

1100666324_dijonchicken6.jpg.14bd588413729a77944ae3561e4daee0.jpg

Now, a public service announcement of sorts.  I have to go to Midland next weekend for the closing on the house.  That means I will be without internet access on Saturday and Sunday and unable to post the Meal of the Day.   Also, I will be without internet November 4th and 5th.  Those are the days I am moving and will be too busy to post anyways.  Tina is going on a much deserved cruise as is Jacqui, so the Meal of the Day will be on hiatus those four days.  I'm sure we'll survive.  There is always pizza.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

Debbie, your recipes today look so good!  And so much variety involved.  Sorry about the prominent carrots in that fourth one.  LOL!  I'll have to show these to DH to see if he wants to prepare any of them.

Even though we'll miss you here on the Daily while you're busy with the closing and move, I'm excited about your move to dear old, Midland.  Good luck with the packing, the closing, the move, and all the unpacking.  Even if it's a lot of work you have a lot to look forward to in your new home with your sister.  Best of luck!❤️

• Like 23

Hello everyone,

I keep thinking that things will be going back to some semblance of normal, but that is a myth.

This will be quick.

Yesterday was spent moving stuff from our house to the apartment.  Stuff like computer, printer and food and other necessities.  To add insult to injury, our internet provider has informed us that they are dropping their email service.  So now I have to get a new email and inform everyone and all businesses we use of our new email by the end of November. Lots of work.  It will go poof on Dec. 1.

Not a lot of time.

Today we are on our way to Jacksonville.  I have to have an EMG on both arms to determine if I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands.  I was thinking of having the surgery while waiting for the house to get done, but with this email thing, I don’t know if I can take that time to have the surgery right now.

Don’t have time to write more now.  Have to pack and get moving.

Tests and consultation is tomorrow at the Mayo.

Will post when I can.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

...she wanted my company so that pretty much polished off the afternoon & early evening. Too much sadness and similarity between her loss of her brother & mine of Jose 😢 

@kazu So sweet of you to give comfort to her in her grief while you are still in the midst of yours.

🙏Prayers🙏 for each of you,

-M.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, I hope everyone had a great weekend.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope things go well today Lenda.  

Thanks for the Fleet and Daily reports.   I probably have eaten a lot of bologna in my life but I haven't had the sliced kind in probably 50 years.  We did grill some ring bologna last year from a local sausage and meat wholesaler and it was good.   Yes to the United Nations.  Too bad they can't kick the terrorist Putin off the National Security Council.   He is a state sponsor of terror.    A good quote though I hope a friend wouldn't have to go far enough to stab me.   I hope we could work it out.  Today's recipes look good especially the one with the spinach.  The cocktail has all my favorite fall flavors.   The wine is good too.   @StLouisCruisers thanks for the photos of Darwin.   We are having to run.   My 1/2 hog is finished at the processor and we are heading there early to get some work done later in the day.   A couple photos of the color this morning.   

front yard 102422.jpg

front yard 2 102422.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  We have an election today, so dh and I  will vote at some point this morning, but not first thing as the line ups are usually  long.  Part of the reason is that the people working at the polls need to figure out everything they need to to do.  I worked at every level of election  (municipal, provincial and federal) before, so I remember how busy and confusing the first hour or so can be.  

I will pass on the meal and the drink and the wine today.  We have a large pot of  leftover beef stew to finish tonight.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1