The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 27th, 2022

richwmn

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

OK, I am back from voting, actually have been for almost an hour.  It was a 10-minute walk to the senior center, 12 minutes to vote and I took a couple of detours for another 20 minutes back home.  During the primary I arrived about a half hour before the center opened but was still the first customer.  This time there were several ahead of me but still more workers than voters.  I was expecting a heavier turnout but I think a LOT of people are voting by mail.  It was definitely better than 10 years ago when I waited an hour in line to get done before Superstorm Sandy.  We now have 2 ways to vote.  The default is a regular paper ballot that you blacken a square.  New this year is an electronic machine where you touch your selections and when all is done the machine prints out a scannable ballot on a blank form.  With either method the completed ballot is scanned and the scanner prints out "ballot accepted" when it is done.

There was also more good news yesterday.  I have Blue Cross Federal Health Insurance with just Part A of Medicare.  Almost 2 months ago I was alerted that they had not reached agreement for covering the major Baltimore System that runs my local hospital, as well as is affiliated with my cardiologist.  Medicare would have substantially softened the blow if I the ambulance took me to the local hospital but coverage for the cardiologist would have been a big problem, and I would need either a different health plan or a new cardiologist.  Fortunately, agreement was reached yesterday.

I have the Auto Train next Friday to meet my cruise on the Eurodam.  I'm glad to be ok for next Friday but if the railroads go on strike November 19 I'll be stuck driving all the way home.

I also went to my Health Department yesterday for a PCR test.  I do want to get a good result reasonably soon before  heading for the ship. 

Roy

Good luck for good news on your PCR test Roy.

I'm pleased for you that your health insurance is sorted.

Graham 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 

A salute to black cats. I'm not a storyteller. Thanks to the Navy!  The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal as well.

I haven't been to Da Nang.

It's cool and cloudy so far today. I go to get my flu and bivalent vaccines soon, then maybe a stop at the big box store.

Today we're remembering the 11 innocent lives lost during the tragic shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue on Oct 27, 2018.

1577743266_TreeofLifeSynagogue2.jpg.0ec05be2e028a1acadf09f843e1e7117.jpg

@grapau27 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have a great time at dinner with Pauline and Sarah.

@aliaschief Thanks for the photos posted from your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope DH is fever free today and will be able to be transferred.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Lou's test results and for Tana.

@rafinmd Good to hear that your health system and health insurance reached an agreement.

@ottahand7 Prayers that this will be the last surgery needed for DB's knee. 

@cruzn single Sorry the cruise is not meeting your expectations.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 

A salute to black cats. I'm not a storyteller. Thanks to the Navy!  The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal as well.

I haven't been to Da Nang.

It's cool and cloudy so far today. I go to get my flu and bivalent vaccines soon, then maybe a stop at the big box store.

Today we're remembering the 11 innocent lives lost during the tragic shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue on Oct 27, 2018.

1577743266_TreeofLifeSynagogue2.jpg.0ec05be2e028a1acadf09f843e1e7117.jpg

@grapau27 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have a great time at dinner with Pauline and Sarah.

@aliaschief Thanks for the photos posted from your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope DH is fever free today and will be able to be transferred.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Lou's test results and for Tana.

@rafinmd Good to hear that your health system and health insurance reached an agreement.

@ottahand7 Prayers that this will be the last surgery needed for DB's knee. 

@cruzn single Sorry the cruise is not meeting your expectations.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The soup recipes looks good.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor providing the photos and recipes even while in the midst of a major move!  Did you go with the PODS or a moving van?  Best of luck to you and Sis in your new home! 

Sandi, I went with the moving van.  Cost is about the same.  With the pods you have to store things for 10 days minimum and I didn't need that much time.   Turns out I will be able to move right in the day after I load up.  Things are falling into place.

• Like 23

Good morning everyone!

I’m going to try to come back later and read but there’s a lot to do today and I didn’t get much sleep last night 😔 

My BIL ended up at the hospital last night.  He thought it was a kidney stone - no just something else BUT his heart has them very concerned.  He had a serious AFib problem and talks to the cardiologist today.  

Not sure if he is going to be cleared to travel with us or able to go on the cruise 😔 😢 

We are all supposed to fly out tomorrow.  Praying he is stable enough and it will be safe enough he can go after 3 years of waiting to be together on this. 🙏🏻 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Thank you all for letting me rant about the change to the Yellow Fever requirement.  We have appointments tomorrow (changed) at 4.  This will make 4 shots in 2 months for me.  We both are really nervous about the side effects but will have 3 weeks until we sail.  STILL have not heard back from the doctor, will be changing to a new one when we return.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Good sunny morning. I will definitely celebrate Black Cat 🐈‍⬛. Mr Ninja is sitting beside me on his favorite spot. 
    Happy birthday wishes to @grapau27

I think another cruise is needed to celebrate.

Ny port cam was showing Rotterdam. What time is sail away? Yesterday the cam followed Disney down the river . 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

3BDF62AC-DDF4-4150-A4C2-C564DCDDFD96.jpeg

DB8983EE-C347-4619-925C-6E41725FA157.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Thank you all for letting me rant about the change to the Yellow Fever requirement.  We have appointments tomorrow (changed) at 4.  This will make 4 shots in 2 months for me.  We both are really nervous about the side effects but will have 3 weeks until we sail.  STILL have not heard back from the doctor, will be changing to a new one when we return.

I hope everything goes well and you have no side effects and in 3 week's time you have an amazing cruise to look forward to.

Graham.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be cool and overcast today, but that's ok as long as it isn't raining.  I went and got more small boxes yesterday as well as a new coffee pot.  The old one developed a leak.  I also made arrangements for pick up of some bulky items today and got those to the curb.  Scavengers reduced the load a bit.  All the utilities for both houses have been contacted and we will have lights and water in the new house when we move in.  Today's agenda is more of the same.  

We are definitely in soup and stew season.  Soup is wonderful on a blustery autumn or winter day.  Today's soup is full of goodness.   

Arborio rice is a variety of short-grain rice used primarily in the classical preparation of risotto. Named after the area in Italy where it was originally cultivated, today the rice is also grown in the U.S. in states such as California and Texas. Arborio rice is short, fat, and slightly oval-shaped with a pearly white exterior. There are various size designations, of which super fino—the largest grain size—is the one most commonly used in the United States.

Arborio rice is high in amylopectin, a starch present in rice. Because it undergoes less milling than ordinary long-grain rice, arborio retains more of its natural starch content. Cooking the rice releases this starch, resulting in a firmer, chewier, and creamier rice compared to other kinds of rice. Arborio rice is a little less than double the cost of regular long-grain white rice.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-arborio-rice-995971

1527667697_arboriorice.thumb.jpg.928e5934924cc3eea8506ed7308fbcd2.jpg

Our first recipe comes from Taste of Home and is full of good vegetables and protein.  Rice and beans together make a complete protein, so no need to add meat to the dish.   It is a little carb heavy for those watching the carbs.  The good news is the beans really aren't all that bad because of the fiber content.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-soup/

1990722609_Whitebeansoup1.jpg.d5b42849331cce5adc3aeee39fda4f1b.jpg

The next one uses different ingredients, but I'm sure it is equally tasty and satisfying. https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/white-bean-and-arborio-rice-soup/

1214895764_whitebeansoup2.jpg.2502276ff750248369575ee741cd36f7.jpg

And this one has a tomato broth.  https://dirtygourmet.com/2010/03/29/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-vegetable-soup/

2056954108_whitebeansoup3.jpg.636c344cec019b9ba26e4978246d8fb2.jpg

Last, but not least, I want to wish Graham @grapau27 a very happy birthday!   Enjoy dinner with your Sarah.   

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.4f3dd56b4ad5e626ceec4a606cbf075e.jpg

Wishing you all a very good day.

+1

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny morning. I will definitely celebrate Black Cat 🐈‍⬛. Mr Ninja is sitting beside me on his favorite spot. 

Ny port cam was showing Rotterdam. What time is sail away? Yesterday the cam followed Disney down the river . 

Thank you for your happy birthday wishes.

Lovely cats.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

PTZ schedule shows it leaves at 5.  Handsome kitty.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  We hope to visit Vietnam one day.    Wishing everyone well on the care and concern lists.  Happy birthday Graham! 
Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear your news, sending good thoughts for a quick recovery.   It’s so very disappointing when you’ve been trying to make this happen for so long! 

13958DAE-623D-4CAF-9928-AF2EAB591C70.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Good morning everyone!

I’m going to try to come back later and read but there’s a lot to do today and I didn’t get much sleep last night 😔 

My BIL ended up at the hospital last night.  He thought it was a kidney stone - no just something else BUT his heart has them very concerned.  He had a serious AFib problem and talks to the cardiologist today.  

Not sure if he is going to be cleared to travel with us or able to go on the cruise 😔 😢 

We are all supposed to fly out tomorrow.  Praying he is stable enough and it will be safe enough he can go after 3 years of waiting to be together on this. 🙏🏻 

I join your prayers.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1