Carnival Cruise Line Limits Alcohol Consumption Aboard

nelblu

I thought Carnival always had a limit to the number of drinks one could order on their drink package (or are they limiting people from even purchasing more drinks out of pocket?)

Other than the title of the article, it only seemed to mention the drink package and the bottles people can order to the room. There was no mention of a specific number of drinks someone can buy out of pocket.

If this is new, I wonder if they're just using the recent fights as an excuse to implement the change, because I doubt that they went through the trouble of figuring out how many drinks each person in the fight drank beforehand. Plus everyone handles their alcohol differently.

Limiting the number of drinks people can buy from the package allows Carnival to calculate their minimum profit based on packages sold. Seems like an incidence of "convenient timing."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Nor did Carnival show a link between the sale of the full size liquor bottles to those who were unruly passengers.  Carnival probably did find out that those that bought the full size bottles were not buying as much ala carte and not buying the packages, so they were losing money...

Interesting, I noticed RCI has a shore excursion at Bimini, Bahamas, which touts "Open Bar" for a set price to include access to resort facilities. Part of the terms when you read them is that you cannot request more than one drink every fifteen minutes. The excursion is about 4 hours long. A way to ensure that the profits are very carefully calculated. Most people will not max out the package for four drinks per hour for four hours (you have to go up to the bar to get the drinks if you are at the pool or at the beach): otherwise, you are at the mercy of how busy the drink attendants are which is another way to limit consumption (costs).

29 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Nor did Carnival show a link between the sale of the full size liquor bottles to those who were unruly passengers.  Carnival probably did find out that those that bought the full size bottles were not buying as much ala carte and not buying the packages, so they were losing money...

Exactly. The driver for nearly every decision (and rightfully so) is financial.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Interesting, I noticed RCI has a shore excursion at Bimini, Bahamas, which touts "Open Bar" for a set price to include access to resort facilities. Part of the terms when you read them is that you cannot request more than one drink every fifteen minutes. The excursion is about 4 hours long. A way to ensure that the profits are very carefully calculated. Most people will not max out the package for four drinks per hour for four hours (you have to go up to the bar to get the drinks if you are at the pool or at the beach): otherwise, you are at the mercy of how busy the drink attendants are which is another way to limit consumption (costs).

I'm guessing that limit is placed by the resort, not RCI. 

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Don't know if this has been covered.   The reason is the many violent episodes that the cruise line has incurred.  Wonder if Royal ill follow.

Carnival Cruise Line Limits Alcohol Consumption Aboard - Miles to Memories

The 15 per day limit has been there forever.  So really no change from what they always have done

• Like 2

Carnival needs to limit the consumption of booze.  The behavior on their ships is appalling.   I didn't feel safe on my last (read final)  Carnival Cruise.   And I grew up on the streets of New York.  Their low prices attract a certain demographic.  Especially on shorter cruises.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Carnival needs to limit the consumption of booze.  The behavior on their ships is appalling.   I didn't feel safe on my last (read final)  Carnival Cruise.   And I grew up on the streets of New York.  Their low prices attract a certain demographic.  Especially on shorter cruises.  

Just saw Carnival has 3 night cruises priced as low a $98.00 for interior. That will draw the demographics that worry you.  Also read they will start charging for the third or more entree at dinner, no more 24/7 ice cream, $8 increase for specialty dining, drink prices up a dollar or so.  

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

The 15 per day limit has been there forever.  So really no change from what they always have done

No matter if you have a drink package or are paying a la carte, they cut you off at 15 drinks.  The servers will not serve you again until the next day.  The 15 drink limit on Carnival has more to do with cost cutting than stopping bad behavior.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

No matter if you have a drink package or are paying a la carte, they cut you off at 15 drinks.  The servers will not serve you again until the next day.  The 15 drink limit on Carnival has more to do with cost cutting than stopping bad behavior.  

not on royal. You can have as many as you want.

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I agree with your last sentence 100 percent, which is a big reason why their drink package (Cheers) is sold at a fixed lower price than the dynamic deluxe drink package pricing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nelblu said:

Don't know if this has been covered.   The reason is the many violent episodes that the cruise line has incurred.  Wonder if Royal ill follow.

Carnival Cruise Line Limits Alcohol Consumption Aboard - Miles to Memories

Here in the UK Royal seems to have mixed messages about alcohol consumption and behaviour.

Short cruises here have tended to be 'lively' and after some incidents the sale of drinks packages for sailings of three days or less were stopped. Included 'free' drinks packages were also stopped as a UK sales promotion.

What we currently have running here though is a promotion for the deluxe beverage package of £43 (approx $47) a day.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, joeyancho said:

My god this has to be one of the most ridiculous exaggerations I've ever seen on this site. You didn't feel safe?

• Like 2

Perhaps the poster eludes to the many altercations/brawls that have been happening onboard Carni cruises lately, even Navigator I think had one.  Several bystanders got drinks, etc spilled or thrown at them as a result.  I have seen several videos and I would say, I would've vacated the promenade immediately in such a situation.  I have never witnessed one, but it might frighten someone if they were caught in the middle.  Just sayin....

On 11/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, RoperDK said:

Yes, Royal's drink package is truly unlimited.   

And that is not entirely true.  We once knew of a woman who was a Cruise Critic member we had been talking to for months on the roll call, cut off by ship's security because she was abusing her package.  And I can assure you, she was no longer able to use it.  And it was warranted!  Everybody was talking about that incident.