Beds?

mbiggers

After about 35 cruises on RCCL I decided a few years ago that the foam mattresses were too uncomfortable and I wouldn't be cruising on their ships any more.  I'm thinking maybe it's time to try them again. Have the beds been replaced with proper mattresses by now?

Thanks,

Michele

We've found the beds in the suites can vary by ship. After the first night if needed I ask our steward for a mattress topper. I also prefer the foam form pillow one of my first requests on day one. DH gets the feather pillow.

It varies, even by cabin on the same ship.

Went on 3 Indy cruises recently, 3 different cabins. Wife was fine with the 1st 2 (firm but acceptable). The last 1, only 4 cabins away from the previous cruise, was hard as concrete.

56 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

The pillows are as bad as the beds. 

Cabin attendant brought different pillows when we asked, incredibly the one she provided me felt just like my pillow at home. Bed was firm but comfy. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Thanks 1

The beds are still terrible and to make matters worse, they're not carrying egg-crate padding anymore to soften them.  Now, if you ask them to soften the mattress, they stuff extra duvets under the sheets.  It helps a little but still not great.

Last 3 cruises I did was on liberty of the seas.  All 3 times were balcony cabins on deck 7 (doubt that it matters unless the suites are different), i've never slept on such a hard mattress in my life!  To me it feels like an inch of padding on top of a sheet of plywood and i'm not being sarcastic.

I'll be on the Allure next month, I hope its better.

20 hours ago, mbiggers said:

After about 35 cruises on RCCL I decided a few years ago that the foam mattresses were too uncomfortable and I wouldn't be cruising on their ships any more.  I'm thinking maybe it's time to try them again. Have the beds been replaced with proper mattresses by now?

Thanks,

Michele

I can only sleep on a hard surface .RCI has some very hard mattresses.

Horrible!  They are worse in my opinion than they used to be. We normally sail in Jr. Suite after sailing many years in balconies. We just treated ourselves to an Owner’s Suite on Allure, which was supposed to have “a luxury pillow top” mattress. It did not.  My back has never felt worse. 

25 minutes ago, monorail81 said:

Horrible!  They are worse in my opinion than they used to be. We normally sail in Jr. Suite after sailing many years in balconies. We just treated ourselves to an Owner’s Suite on Allure, which was supposed to have “a luxury pillow top” mattress. It did not.  My back has never felt worse. 

I have had back problems since 1984.Sleeping on the RCI mattresses is like sleeping on concrete and my back never feels better.

4 hours ago, IonImplantTech said:

Last 3 cruises I did was on liberty of the seas.  All 3 times were balcony cabins on deck 7 (doubt that it matters unless the suites are different), i've never slept on such a hard mattress in my life!  To me it feels like an inch of padding on top of a sheet of plywood and i'm not being sarcastic.

I'll be on the Allure next month, I hope its better.

The Allure is NOT any better. Had them put 2 toppers on our bed in October and still was hard.

11 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Went on 3 Indy cruises recently, 3 different cabins. Wife was fine with the 1st 2 (firm but acceptable). The last 1, only 4 cabins away from the previous cruise, was hard as concrete.

There's a simple (and fun) solution to that.

jump.gif

Edited by ramja96
  • Haha 3

On 11/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, mbiggers said:

Thanks,

Michele

On our last cruise (Adventure) the bed made my back hurt so badly that I ended up sleeping on the sofa (not opened as as bed.) It was much firmer and relieved the back pain. 

I am hoping that the Explorer has better beds as we have 3 cruises coming up on her.

I cruised 4 times this year. All oasis class and all beds were hard. I can handle it, I have them put a couple comforters on the bottom to help but with my husband it kills him. I live in Florida so it’s easy, I buy a mattress topper. I bought 3 this year. I get a king called the big one cool mattress topper from Kohl’s. They go for $130 which is crazy but I find on sale and got for $44. I put box in big duffel bag and just keep on ship when we leave. Our room attendant loves it. All of them say they will cut it and use for their bed when we leave. It’s the best money for the week. So easy at the end I just throw duffel bag in with my suitcase. I understand if I had to fly it would be an issue. I have two in boxes for a March and May trip for next year already. It is a must for my husband and for me not to hear him complain all week about his back. 

Edited by renza