The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 13th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Hug a Musician Day, National Pupusa Day, and Sadie Hawkins Day

Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Turkey Sliders With Stuffing Biscuits
Drink of the Day - Green River
Wine of the Day - Wagner 2020 Dry Estate Bottled Riesling (Finger Lakes) Finger Lakes
Destination of the Day - Recife, Brazil

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 20:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 11/14

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Miami, Florida eta 11/19

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bridgetown, Barbados eta 11/14

Volendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 11/19

Zaandam

Zanzibar, Tanzania 08:00 - 13 Nov 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 11/17

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Gladsrone QLD, Queensland Australia 12:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Wellington, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00

1113World.thumb.png.2931374db39763c39cb1797cf5fa1311.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from a snowy Southern Ontario.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Yes, we had snow overnight.  It  looks pretty, but it's too early.

Interesting days.  I don't have any musicians nearby to hug.  I've never heard of Papusa, so I googled it, looks good.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good.  I've got a turkey breast I'm going to put in the slow cooker for our dinner tonight.  Maybe I can make sliders with the leftovers.

The wine will probably go well with turkey.  I hope the drink is tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations

• Like 21

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I had to look up Pupasa, so it's a flatbread from Honduras and El Salvador, you learn something every day.

Strange quote from Samuel Clemons.

Turkeys sliders? Since I love turkey I would probably like them.

This bandage on my finger is driving me to drink, can't wait until Tuesday when I see the hand surgeon to see how the fingernail and tip are doing and the infection is completely gone. I took my last antibiotic last night.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 24

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  No snow here yet but it is in the forecast.  I haven't been to the port.  We are having a pork roast with scalloped potatoes for supper tonight, but the turkey sliders sound good.  Waiting to see  the drink and the wine.   

• Like 20

Thank you for the Remembrance Sunday report, Rich, and greetings from Aruba.  I think the best musicians I see right now are the Lincoln Center Ensemble, but I don't think I would hug them.  Cheers for Sadie Hawkins Day, and I appreciate a Finger Lakes wine as I'm from Central New York.  I was in Recife once, in 2015, on the Maasdam.  Interesting quote by Twain.  I think I would prefer Pupusa to the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Triple Berry Alaskan Tart a la mode, as served on MS Eurodam October 12, 2022.

dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP firefighter Andy
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
NextOne with new heart valve problem
Lady Hudson DH recovering from oral surgery
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
Terri’s next door neighbor with stroke and complications
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

My good day walking
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
7 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to22/30)
6 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
Bon Voyage  RednckBob (Beyond 11/13 to 11/20)
Welcome home Dobiemom
CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19) and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily Rich. A lovely start to this morning. Bindi and I had a lovely walk. Lots of deer & squirrels out to greet us. 

Thank for keeping our lists, Roy!  Off to the gym, then Aldi. This evening I am meeting friends at the Beachfront Winery.  I am not sure what that section of the coast will look like, but at least there was no damage to the road North of the main access road. 

BF046AFA-CA41-4B25-864C-60B1C761CD5A.jpeg.a5e89b0e8065d2c1471959de9b5b374e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Wagner 2020 Dry Estate Bottled Riesling

Another Riesling I would love to try. The Finger Lakes region is not known for its dry wines, I would have to taste it before buying. Though at $12.98 for a bottle, that is cheaper than some glasses of wine that I have seen. Available from several online distributors. 

Winemaker Notes

A beautiful pairing wine that will complement whatever is on your table with a fresh finish and a silky mouthfeel. This wine will continue to unwind beautifully with time in the bottle. This dry Riesling is an outstanding food wine, with nectarine and lime aromas, flavors of citrus and mineral and a crisp clean finish. The opulent fruit is restrained and there is just the right amount of lively acidity to pair beautifully with myriad foods without being bitey.
RP90 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2020 Dry Riesling comes in with 4.7 grams per liter of residual sugar, seven grams of total acidity and 12.8% alcohol. Rich, ripe and fruity, this exuberant Dry Riesling lacks a bit of an edge on opening, but that is mostly about perception at the moment. That is, it seems lush, deep and luscious. It tastes great. The acidity is initially hidden, while this is more fruit driven at first. I suspect in time that perception will change a bit. As a test, I kept it open for another hour, and the acidity came through much more clearly. This is still very young and was only in bottle for about nine weeks when tasted. It looks like a winner. It is worth leaning up on this for the moment.
WE90 Wine Enthusiast

Bright lemony fruit mixes with lime zest and white blossoms in this zesty, dry Riesling. It offers vibrancy and lift thanks to juicy acidity, with a crushed stone note trailing off on the finish. Best Buys

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Happy Sunday.. Going to work on the house for the pet sitter/house sitter who is arriving on Wednesday evening.  It's so comforting to have someone willing to come to warm Florida from cold Ohio for a month.  LOL

Green River cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
2/3 parts Green Chartreuse Liqueur
1 part fresh Lime Juice
Lime Twist

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 7.22.02 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from the Nieuw Amsterdam,  thanks for the daily fleet report.   Today's meal suggestion sounds like something I'd like very much.  It's turn around day and we are to meet at the Main Stage at 9:15.  Feels odd staying on board when we would be normally off the ship by now.

20221113_061204.thumb.jpg.de75568b5447e4a0edf698f566c5b552.jpg

20221113_065927.thumb.jpg.90bae6f1c8b0ecd77f487489a40d1110.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It was about 32F this morning and we hope to make it up to 52 for a high but at least the sun is back.  Everybody I talk to in the midwest and north are complaining about how it was warm one day and cold the next.  That's fall for you!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Funny quote.  I like the days to celebrate especially Sadie Hawkins Day.  I'm sure the turkey sliders would be tasty.  Roy @rafinmdthanks for taking the time to post while busy cruising.  Solemn prayers for all on the Care list and any others in need including Ukraine and hurricane survivors.  A shout out to all on the Celebration list (and I guess that includes me and DH as we prepare for our cruise).  So much to do!

Recife, Brazil is port of the day.  We last had that port on October 30, 2021.  That is a Brazil port I have not seen before and it's not on the upcoming Amazon cruise either.  I hope if you have photos you will share them today.  Here is a link to Rich's post that day in order to retrieve them.

Well, off to change sheets, wash sheets and begin collecting clothing to pack.  All we have done so far is bring the suitcases upstairs.  Dixie @summer slopeI bet you two are far ahead of us in preparing for this cruise.  👍  I see the Volendam is at sea destination Fort Lauderdale.  Exciting!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning!  The heat has been on since 11 p.m. last night,  there was frost forming on the windows on the eastern side of the house last night.  We finished sealing up the porch for Fawn,  and she watched every moment of our work, and then got in a box in the car port.  At midnight last night she was on the porch in her little cat bed, sound asleep.  I will feed the cats at 8, that way there may be some sun out of the wind that she can find, if she wants off the porch.  Personally I would stay on the porch.  But I'm not a cat.  I think.

vhjwx-sm19.jpg

bc12ca47e7ef76026a80d3c7dc2f9733.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 9

Good morning all. Thanks for all the information everyone shares including Rich. Today I will put the finishing touches on the chili. Two gallons is a lot more then I thought. I guess it's been a while since I fed the whole family and one person is so different. I have enjoyed having my grandson for the weekend but will look forward to me time tomorrow. Prayers for all. 

• Like 24

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was about 32F this morning and we hope to make it up to 52 for a high but at least the sun is back.  Everybody I talk to in the midwest and north are complaining about how it was warm one day and cold the next.  That's fall for you!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Funny quote.  I like the days to celebrate especially Sadie Hawkins Day.  I'm sure the turkey sliders would be tasty.  Roy @rafinmdthanks for taking the time to post while busy cruising.  Solemn prayers for all on the Care list and any others in need including Ukraine and hurricane survivors.  A shout out to all on the Celebration list (and I guess that includes me and DH as we prepare for our cruise).  So much to do!

Recife, Brazil is port of the day.  We last had that port on October 30, 2021.  That is a Brazil port I have not seen before and it's not on the upcoming Amazon cruise either.  I hope if you have photos you will share them today.  Here is a link to Rich's post that day in order to retrieve them.

Well, off to change sheets, wash sheets and begin collecting clothing to pack.  All we have done so far is bring the suitcases upstairs.  Dixie @summer slopeI bet you two are far ahead of us in preparing for this cruise.  👍  I see the Volendam is at sea destination Fort Lauderdale.  Exciting!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Just need the test and we are done. Heading to Dania Friday. Like to be down there the night before. 

• Like 18

Good Sunday morning!  We missed most of the snow bands and only have about 1.5" on the deck when I went out to feed the birds.

My visit was brief seeing my DB.  He has a rash all over him so they suspect (I agree) an allergic to the IV cefazolin or the rifampin he is taking for his bone infection.    We had a good talk for about 20 minutes and then he started to nod off.  I told him I would let him sleep but make sure to do his required PT.  I think he understands the consequences of not doing his PT and showing progression.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  I like the Twain quote and it basically sums up the editing process for fewer words.  All the comestibles sound good!  Recife is on our agenda next February 23rd for a long stay until 11 that night.  I look forward to the photos of the port.  We have nothing planned yet for that port. @rafinmdthank you for keeping the Care and Celebration reports daily, even when n the Eurodam.   I enjoy looking at your MDR food offerings.   Prayers for all on our care list, Lenda I hope Steve is back in his rehab and making progress.    Prayers for the people of Ukraine and those in Florida suffering from the remnants of the hurricanes.   Have a wonderful Sunday morning! 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

I woke up to a very light dusting of white stuff on the back deck.  It didn't stick on the ground, just the wood decking.  We knew it had to come sometime.  I remember snow for Hallowe'en when I was a kid.  I am thankful that we had good weather for moving last weekend.  

Today's meal is one I would like.  Stuffing is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal.  I used to be able to get stuffing bread at a local bakery in Ohio.  I'll have to scour around and see what's available here in Midland.  

This first recipe comes from Canada as an alternative meal to the normal barbecue food for Victoria Day.  The name ‘slider’ originated in the 1940’s when sailors in the US Navy would refer to mini-burgers as sliders because of their extreme greasiness. In just one or two bites, the burger would just slide right down. Fortunately around 2007, sliders evolved from miniature ‘grease bombs’ to elegant culinary creations that now appeal to people of all backgrounds and tastes.

https://goodfoodandtreasuredmemories.com/wp/recipe/turkey-sliders-in-stuffing-biscuits/

1307431737_turkeysliders1.thumb.jpg.6fef0e84ccdf7001966d472bb4b576f8.jpg

The stuffing biscuits are very versatile.  They can be made into a turkey slider or used as a breakfast biscuit with butter.  https://whitneybond.com/easy-stuffing-biscuits/

526000116_turkeysliders2.jpg.eb412835f96edae3856b484db31e76d0.jpg

This next recipe has all kinds of ideas on how to use the stuffing biscuits.  https://www.simplehealthykitchen.com/stuffing-biscuit-turkey-mashed-potato-cranberry-sandwich/

1100937043_turkeysliders3.jpg.7e8db615558e111428e921e8ebd9c09e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  Safe travels to those who are heading off on a holiday cruise.  After taking yesterday off and watching mindless TV, I am back to unpacking boxes.  Not that many left.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

I don’t understand why Mark Twain wouldn’t just write “very” in the first place.  Unless his intent was to have his editor focus on the “damn” and leave the rest of his words alone.  🤷‍♀️

😮 to the snow reports!  It is not that cold here, yet, but I am thinking it’s getting time to plug the bird bath in to keep it from freezing overnight.  Last night I went to bed with the AC on and changed it to heat this morning.  There is definitely a Fall chill to the air.

Today we will not be having turkey sliders or stuffing biscuits… whatever that is.  I’m kind of feeling like spaghetti and meat sauce though.  I think I am going to make oatmeal cranberry pecan cookies for dessert because that always smells good with Autumn air.

Oh!  Debbie just posted what a stuffing biscuit is!  That looks so good.  Going to take a look at the recipe to see if it’s something which might appeal to the relatives on Thanksgiving.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists!  Great collection of days today, papusa sounds like something that I’d really like.  I like the Twain quote, a good lesson on keeping our writing succinct.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I’ll pass on the drink, might like the wine though.  Prayers for all on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!  Good luck with your packing @StLouisCruisers.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Remembrance Sunday report, Rich, and greetings from Aruba.  I think the best musicians I see right now are the Lincoln Center Ensemble, but I don't think I would hug them.  Cheers for Sadie Hawkins Day, and I appreciate a Finger Lakes wine as I'm from Central New York.  I was in Recife once, in 2015, on the Maasdam.  Interesting quote by Twain.  I think I would prefer Pupusa to the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Triple Berry Alaskan Tart a la mode, as served on MS Eurodam October 12, 2022.

dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP firefighter Andy
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
NextOne with new heart valve problem
Lady Hudson DH recovering from oral surgery
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
Terri’s next door neighbor with stroke and complications
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

My good day walking
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
7 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to22/30)
6 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
Bon Voyage  RednckBob (Beyond 11/13 to 11/20)
Welcome home Dobiemom
CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19) and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy while you are cruising.

I hope you are having a wonderful cruise.

Graham.

• Like 11

Blessed Sunday morning. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. A chilly morning with frost. Warming to 50's.

Thank you Rich for the Fleet Report. I've been getting emails from our friend working on Westerdam. He said he's met some people who have seen his picture here on CC that I posted.

Roy, was your dinner from last night or last year? I noticed the 10-12 date. Another thread has spent pages arguing over the rustic lasagna!

Last night we had dinner out, then friends over for a bit. Too windy and cold to sit out at the firepit. 

Tonight friends invited us to join them at bingo. Goodness I haven't played in years but our group is fun and we should have a good time.

Thanks Graham for Pastor David's sermon and the beautiful pictures. 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi what port/ports are you stopping at that require you to have covid testing? Do you also pack tests to take with you? I'm so excited for you and Dixie, and all our fellow cruisers! 

Sadie Hawkins made her public debut in cartoon artist Al Capp's November 15, 1937, comic strip “Li'l Abner,” which was set in the fictional mountain village of Dogpatch, Kentucky. Try writing something like this today!! 

image.png.ee34b25f459e9cceb951f91a59fae9a6.png

Have a great Sunday. Blessings and Cheers. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Just need the test and we are done. Heading to Dania Friday. Like to be down there the night before. 

I know you are a lot more organized than I am!  However I did get my Christmas cards written, addressed and stamped and they are waiting at my next door neighbor's house for December to arrive so she can mail them for me.  Are you driving your own car to Dania?  Where will you park it for a month?

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists!  Great collection of days today, papusa sounds like something that I’d really like.  I like the Twain quote, a good lesson on keeping our writing succinct.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I’ll pass on the drink, might like the wine though.  Prayers for all on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!  Good luck with your packing @StLouisCruisers.

Thank you!  I am woefully out of practice!  When we cruised every month or two it went a lot easier.

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Blessed Sunday morning. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. A chilly morning with frost. Warming to 50's.

Thank you Rich for the Fleet Report. I've been getting emails from our friend working on Westerdam. He said he's met some people who have seen his picture here on CC that I posted.

Roy, was your dinner from last night or last year? I noticed the 10-12 date. Another thread has spent pages arguing over the rustic lasagna!

Last night we had dinner out, then friends over for a bit. Too windy and cold to sit out at the firepit. 

Tonight friends invited us to join them at bingo. Goodness I haven't played in years but our group is fun and we should have a good time.

Thanks Graham for Pastor David's sermon and the beautiful pictures. 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi what port/ports are you stopping at that require you to have covid testing? Do you also pack tests to take with you? I'm so excited for you and Dixie, and all our fellow cruisers! 

Sadie Hawkins made her public debut in cartoon artist Al Capp's November 15, 1937, comic strip “Li'l Abner,” which was set in the fictional mountain village of Dogpatch, Kentucky. Try writing something like this today!! 

image.png.ee34b25f459e9cceb951f91a59fae9a6.png

Have a great Sunday. Blessings and Cheers. 

Joy, we are going to the Amazon with French Guiana and some Caribbean ports mixed in beginning and end.  So it's either because of the 28 days or the countries require it as to the reason why the testing ahead of time.  And yes I am packing home tests to go with us, like we did in the summer Island Princess cruise.  I used one then to confirm I was positive before I called Medical.  Really, really hoping that won't happen again.  I heard about the 800 cases on Majestic Princess down under.  Yikes!

• Like 17