The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 30th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to all.Rain is starting here  with a temperature  drop and winds arriving later .I will salute  all of the days and have not been to the port. The recipes look delicious,thanks  so much  Debbie  @dfish.

@kazu, Jacqui. I am very happy to hear  that your foot is improving.I hope the predicted ice does not come to your area.

@Lady Hudson, Katherine,  Bon Voyage  to you and your DH .

@aliaschiefBruce, Sorry you had to change your plans but I am sure it is for the best.Feel better soon.

We are coping with a few issues here that are worrying.Tana has a fever and  will see the Hospice nurse today. She rarely complains  but did tell me this morning that  she  feels unwell.

I had an MRI of my hip Monday and it disclosed several  things that prompted  the Doc to get me an ortho appointment  fairly soon. I will see that Doctor  December  13 or sooner if there is a cancelation. Usually one can wait 2 or 3 months for an appointment. 

Anyway, I hope everyone  has an enjoyable  day.

I'm sorry to hear that Tana is having issues and that you are having problems with your hip.  I hope the hospice nurse can help Tana and that you get into the ortho appointment soon.  Let it be something easy to treat in both cases.  Glad you like the recipes today!

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

Well, our highly anticipated 21 days on the Nieuw Statendam fizzled. Fooey.

Long story’s short: DH was diagnosed with pneumonia on Day 3 at the NS Medical Centre and on Day 4, we disembarked in Grand Turk to board an air ambulance to Miami.

Jackson Memorial Hospital is huge but it doesn’t have empty beds. We are still camping out in a room in the ER some16+ hours after arrival. I have stayed with DH throughout, and all our luggage. If and when he gets admitted, then I’ll worry about Hotel etc.  Being sleep deprived does not make for happy campers. I have been trying to channel some of the strength many of you have demonstrated when dealing with far worse situations. My success rate is not impressive.

The good news is that treatment. And let’s hear it for trip insurance!

The Medical Center and every member of staff were outstanding!

We are heartbroken but are already planning the next one.

-Cat

I am so sorry to hear this.  What a huge disappointment, but glad that you can see the silver lining in that you caught it early and it is treatable and you are in a good facility.  Here's hoping a room opens up soon for you.

@aliaschief Thank you for delaying your trip.  I shake my head when people are coughing up a lung or two and say, "It's just a cold."  What makes them think I want that?  You are a great example for others.

@Cruising-alongI hope the tummy issues resolve and that it isn't the flu.   

@lindaler I'm happy to hear that you survived the storm with no damage.  I hate storms like that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

@Ichiban Nekko we are so extremely sorry to hear that you had to truncate your cruise so quickly. We send all of our sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery to your husband.  Thank heavens for trip and evacuation insurance - not the way one wants to find out if the insurance works as promised.

We treasure our shared Alaska cruise some years ago.  You are a couple of the best dining room table mates we have ever experienced.

Hope you are well and at home soon and ready to cruise again.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I'll pass on the Mousse but celebrate the other 2 days.   King's statement rings true to me.  Looks like I've visited Fortaleza just once on the Prinsendam 2019 Grand South America.  I'll take the pork chops but pass on the cabbage.  My alternative is Sunshine Fruit Medley, Braised Lamb Shank, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam November 30, 2013.  I have a feeling @grapau27 may be on a B2B

Today’s care list:

RIP Jazzyv BFF dad 11/27/22 Funeral 12/3
Mamaofami grandson with Covid and Carol possibly exposed
lindaler in path of coastal storm
From the rotation:
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mister67 cleared for golf
Promising new doctor for dfish
luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH coming home
4 days for Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4 to 12/11)
3 days for Dobiemom (Discovery Princess 12/3 to 12/10)
1 day for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
Welcome home Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover
 Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3), SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Tonight's dinner.

IMG_20221130_182954.jpg

IMG_20221130_185424.jpg

IMG_20221126_184348.jpg

IMG_20221130_193513.jpg

IMG_20221130_193527.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Wednesday from Tucson. Even though it’s cool inside it’s going to be 74F later. I checked the forecast and next week it will be much cooler with possible rain this weekend. Craig isn’t done with the tree fluffing, he has two more rows to do but needs a break to rest his back. It’s still nice having the tree up even though the ornaments aren’t on yet.  I do admit to being a bit like the picture @Rowsbyposted. 

I will pass on the pork chops today. I think I’ll make tacos, enchiladas or pasta. I haven’t decided. I found a crockpot recipe for baked ziti that sounds good. You just mix all the ingredients together with the raw pasta. Sounds easy. I also have a whole chicken I want to spatchcock and smoke on the grill. Yesterday’s mussels were good as usual. The tarragon makes it. 
FEBA7021-A02A-4A9F-BB4C-800EF483F658.thumb.jpeg.44e29874c7a33de4a537871f8d07a4c6.jpeg

This picture came across my Facebook memories from 12 years ago. DGD was two — gosh I sure miss those days. 
1435C36E-89B2-4643-A770-B3C8CF0AAF6B.jpeg.12aeb12ee39dd7ff10d289b9afb0e7b4.jpeg

Look at all that curly hair!

Have a great day everyone!

Lovely photo of you, your husband and your granddaughter Sharon.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to all.Rain is starting here  with a temperature  drop and winds arriving later .I will salute  all of the days and have not been to the port. The recipes look delicious,thanks  so much  Debbie  @dfish.

@kazu, Jacqui. I am very happy to hear  that your foot is improving.I hope the predicted ice does not come to your area.

@Lady Hudson, Katherine,  Bon Voyage  to you and your DH .

@aliaschiefBruce, Sorry you had to change your plans but I am sure it is for the best.Feel better soon.

We are coping with a few issues here that are worrying.Tana has a fever and  will see the Hospice nurse today. She rarely complains  but did tell me this morning that  she  feels unwell.

I had an MRI of my hip Monday and it disclosed several  things that prompted  the Doc to get me an ortho appointment  fairly soon. I will see that Doctor  December  13 or sooner if there is a cancelation. Usually one can wait 2 or 3 months for an appointment. 

Anyway, I hope everyone  has an enjoyable  day.

Sending Prayers 🙏 for Tana and yourself Terry.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

Long story’s short: DH was diagnosed with pneumonia on Day 3 at the NS Medical Centre and on Day 4, we disembarked in Grand Turk to board an air ambulance to Miami.

Jackson Memorial Hospital is huge but it doesn’t have empty beds. We are still camping out in a room in the ER some16+ hours after arrival. I have stayed with DH throughout, and all our luggage. If and when he gets admitted, then I’ll worry about Hotel etc.  Being sleep deprived does not make for happy campers. I have been trying to channel some of the strength many of you have demonstrated when dealing with far worse situations. My success rate is not impressive.

-Cat

I'm so sorry to hear this Cat.

Sending you both our very best wishes that your husband recovers quickly.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

I am so sorry. Hope DH gets better quickly. Insurance is a wonderful thing.

Susan

• Like 11

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Well the snowstorm in this area fizzled out. We got wind and rain overnight but just a slight dusting of the white stuff. 

We got a pretty good dump of snow overnight (18"). Power went off at about 1:00 AM this morning. It had only been on since 3:30 AM yesterday, after being off for 20 hours. Puget Sound Energy has not provided an estimate for when power will be restored. Snow hasn't stopped yet.

subaru.thumb.jpg.ce27b7961eeb63138cdcc67f4129a7aa.jpg

yaris.jpg.6f126db3cfa6bfb5aab166a86af0bad7.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Nephew driving us to the port (about 1 1/2 hours away).  Makes it much easier dealing with all the luggage and a wheelchair.  Makes pickup easier too.

Bon Voyage!  Hope you have a wonderful time 🙂 

80E77451-0EA9-4941-9702-055FA88F9A43.jpeg.a9e5d910b353d82168ce8c9db33b89b7.jpeg

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

On a second thought as I was getting ready for trip I realized I’m not fit to fly. I have had a head cold that everyone has experienced when granddaughter brought home from pre school. My head is draining like a sieve and I’ve been hacking up phlegm enough that I have strained a chest muscle. Everyone has tested negative for Covid since this started and all negative. It’s a barnstormer head cold that I don’t need to spread around.

We will try to fly home again Monday. 

I am so sorry to hear this 😔 But bless you for thinking of others - I really wish more did that ♥️ 

3 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Oh my heavens, Cat!  I am so very sorry to hear this 😢 

What a disappointment but thankfully your DH is being cared for.

I hope he recovers quickly and easily and the two of you can enjoy a nice holiday season - no matter where you are 🙏 

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Sherita is one of our favorite fellow passengers!

You have good taste 😉 

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. I was up a good portion of last night. Phone alerts going off. Wind swirling around at 70mph, and rain like a fire hose was covering my house. Lightning and thunder had no breaks between the strikes, just continuous booming and lighting the whole house.

Oh that is an absolute ugh.  I hope your temps aren’t dropping after.  So glad you didn’t lose power - that is a blessing.

I feel for you and, if it makes you feel any better - that’s what we get tonight.  The wind is already whistling.  I didn’t realize how much my house can make noises before.  Somehow it’s more noticeable when you are alone.  LOL  I have my heat up in case we (oops that’s I, isn’t it?) lose power.

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

1435C36E-89B2-4643-A770-B3C8CF0AAF6B.jpeg.12aeb12ee39dd7ff10d289b9afb0e7b4.jpeg

Look at all that curly hair!

I LOVE this pic of the 3 of you ♥️ 

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Oh gee, I don’t like the sounds of any of this at all 😔 

You and Tanya are in my prayers.  I so wish I was closer so I could help you.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hello all!  I've just caught up with the Daily.  My prayers go to Terry @smitty34877and Tana for being under the weather.  I hope the hospice nurse can do something to help Tana and hopefully the doctor will get you in quickly to figure out what to do about your hip problem Terry.

@Ichiban NekkoCat, so sorry to hear about your DH's pneumonia right at the beginning of your wonderful cruise.  Thank goodness for your trip insurance and I'm glad it worked out so well getting him to a good Miami hospital.  That's not good news about not having any rooms though.  I hope he gets one soon so you both can get some rest. 

Susan @durangoscotswe (and Dixie @summer slopetoo) made it to the Boi Bumba show.  Thankfully it had AC but it was by no means cold in there.  There were also big fans in the back of the room pushing air about.  We did not get there early enough apparently because the room was 80% full when we arrived.  People must have been there way earlier than told to.  So at the back of the room they had constructed a cat walk where we had to stand but could see over the crowd.  They really need bleacher type seating to see over everyone.  We had started out in a row of seats, but the man behind us was coughing so we just stood in the back on that cat walk.  The music was quite loud so I had some ear plugs to tone it down a bit.  I saw a couple in the back row who were not enjoying the loud music at all.  The woman held her ears and watched and the man held his ears and kept his head down near his lap most of the show.  I bet they are at shore excursion trying to get a refund right now!  Anyway, the dancing and costumes, the floats and the flashy sets were very exciting and I'm glad we got a chance to see it all.  We walked back to the tender instead of waiting for a shuttle bus.  They're hot.  We made the first tender back to the ship and went for a cold drink.  On the way to the show we saw some pink dolphins playing in the river near all the wakes of boats but they were too quick for me to get a photo of them.  I have some photos on my phone I might be able to post.  I also took a few short videos which worked out better really because it was hard to get a clear shot with my phone or camera.  They danced so energetically it was a blur a lot of the time.

Update for Rich @richwmn.  The Volendam has some changes to the itinerary due to low water levels going to Manaus.  The harbor master won't allow our ship to travel in some areas near Manaus at night so instead of arriving tomorrow at 8 am we will get there at noon tomorrow, Dec. 1.  We will be there all day Dec. 2 with tenders starting up again 5 am to 8 pm.  Then we will be allowed to leave Manaus on Dec. 3 at 8 am.  So two nights there and a day and a half for touring/sightseeing.  Because of our extended time there we arrive in Boca Da Valeria Dec. 4 at 7 am and depart at 3 pm.  Dec. 5 is at sea and Dec. 6 is Amazon River cruising.   Icoaraci (Belem) will now be Dec. 7 from 8 am to 6 pm, then we will speed to Barbados arriving as previously scheduled at 8 am on Dec. 10.  Hope this helps.  This itinerary has really changed a lot since we originally booked it!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I was on the Nieuw Statendam back in June when I became quite ill.  The medical staff did a blood test, a urine test and an X-ray and called the hospital in Kiel, Germany, where I was sent with a perforated appendix.  Be thankful for your husbands care and don't give up!  I sure am!

• Like 16

I have a couple of intersecting issues.  I posted about a month ago that I had an issue with inflamed lips and had seen the Doctor.  He thought it was one of 2 issues and gave me a prescription for the one he thought most likely.  It seemed to be helping for a few days but did not really and the lips were much worse by the time I got home.  Turns out my Doctor is on vacation but I will see a colleague tomorrow.  

I also mentioned that my passport expires before my next cruise.  There are now 2 options for renewal,  either online or by mail.  The online option is still a bit awkward but I finally did get through it.  One thing that's required for either method is a photo, and that became a real hassle.  I started with my UPS store and was able to get both versions but when I submitted online it was rejected for some technical reasons, and I was squinting some.  I figured if I submitted by mail it would also be rejected and seriously delay the process

Next I tried several pharmacies that claim to do passport photos (CVS and Walgreens) all failures.  One got to the end of the process but aborted because they did not have a USB drive and could not put it on mine.  Another said their camera was broken and yet another said flatly "We don't  do digital"  Yesterday morning I tried the local FEDEX office, finally with a success, and the application is submitted, but my old passport was invalidated immediately, so there's no international travel for at least 2 months.  It would be nice to get away from our winter for a while but it won't happen this year.

Unfortunately, those lips will ;dog me for as long as I have that passport.  I don't think it's a good idea to post my actual passport photo but here's the one that was rejected.

SKM_C36822112513420.thumb.jpg.9fac0a2d9d6304f38a3a648948aecafc.jpg

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Some photos from today’s Boi Bumba Festival show. 

C857C225-562E-4C77-BDF0-79A8D98379FE.thumb.jpeg.03b6eddbc39574e4266852b35622a7e2.jpeg

4317401F-0640-48C7-9ADE-6470B85BAFBF.thumb.jpeg.ec3d2d79a77027c92914b10dfe7d5ea4.jpeg

ABC463A6-00AD-4B68-A5B9-427756D54FD6.thumb.jpeg.13b249b3e7d5f0c890617e6843ecd0e0.jpeg

C6BD6E9D-4541-406A-8B6B-F6B21401A16F.thumb.jpeg.a7ab9ae012e6431cddc619bfd00f15a4.jpeg

BCF850AB-104F-4E71-9ED5-E453CAB331FB.thumb.jpeg.5daf19d0676e470ab6bf8f0986005216.jpeg

E02E2AFB-B38C-436C-8465-A27819FFB20E.thumb.jpeg.8ca678a8e3d544ddc7bba86ef11ee0a1.jpeg

95336C13-5D3F-4E85-95DA-44F28CEF9C85.thumb.jpeg.3e0c42594fd0a68c5c838474e2c9e523.jpeg

3A764768-3B24-4B20-973B-E1B67305742A.thumb.jpeg.77255c0eeeecd360d480126249b354e2.jpeg

3C95A1AB-A71C-4300-AD6B-62A3810AFF06.thumb.jpeg.33cb6b8bacf64636b4bdd45bd6184e16.jpeg

0E68DD37-ABB5-465B-AFAB-5DA907BA0BDA.thumb.jpeg.4ba4cd274408ae95836e07dd1a07173b.jpeg

3C95A1AB-A71C-4300-AD6B-62A3810AFF06.thumb.jpeg.33cb6b8bacf64636b4bdd45bd6184e16.jpeg

2FE94847-6339-4067-A4CD-55B6397844A6.jpeg

Did you use the Volendam's tenders or rent local boats to go ashore.  When I was there on the Prinsendam they used local boats to prevent damage to the tenders from floating debris.  Also, were the Scouts there helping people up the ramp?

Roy

• Like 5

@StLouisCruisers, we went to the Boi Bumba show in 2019, and I managed to snag a front row seat.  It was amazing and deafening!  I have lots of videos - turn your volume up (just half-way, though!) if you want NOISE!  Some of your pictures are quite like mine, some very different, it must change year to year and depending on who has won the competition.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Roy, I feel for you.   Something similar happened to me on a cruise in Peru when I used a new sunscreen on my face.  My mouth swelled, along with my face and the Medical Centre eventually gave me a cortisone infusion.  Misery!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I have a couple of intersecting issues.  I posted about a month ago that I had an issue with inflamed lips and had seen the Doctor.  He thought it was one of 2 issues and gave me a prescription for the one he thought most likely.  It seemed to be helping for a few days but did not really and the lips were much worse by the time I got home.  Turns out my Doctor is on vacation but I will see a colleague tomorrow.  

I also mentioned that my passport expires before my next cruise.  There are now 2 options for renewal,  either online or by mail.  The online option is still a bit awkward but I finally did get through it.  One thing that's required for either method is a photo, and that became a real hassle.  I started with my UPS store and was able to get both versions but when I submitted online it was rejected for some technical reasons, and I was squinting some.  I figured if I submitted by mail it would also be rejected and seriously delay the process

Next I tried several pharmacies that claim to do passport photos (CVS and Walgreens) all failures.  One got to the end of the process but aborted because they did not have a USB drive and could not put it on mine.  Another said their camera was broken and yet another said flatly "We don't  do digital"  Yesterday morning I tried the local FEDEX office, finally with a success, and the application is submitted, but my old passport was invalidated immediately, so there's no international travel for at least 2 months.  It would be nice to get away from our winter for a while but it won't happen this year.

Unfortunately, those lips will ;dog me for as long as I have that passport.  I don't think it's a good idea to post my actual passport photo but here's the one that was rejected.

Roy

Roy, my sister has that problem around her lips as did my mom. It comes and goes and is a royal pain.  I'll ask her what she does for it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Did you use the Volendam's tenders or rent local boats to go ashore.  When I was there on the Prinsendam they used local boats to prevent damage to the tenders from floating debris.  Also, were the Scouts there helping people up the ramp?

Roy

Today we used both tenders and local boats.  We had two platforms open. And we were situated very close to the dock and that made it a short ride. We saw several girls scouts helping people up the steep ramp. 

• Like 11

@rafinmd not a lot of good news to report.  The burning, red lips are grouped together with the mouth and  called burning mouth syndrome.  For the portion of the face around the mouth that is affected they sometimes prescribe a topical steroid.  My sister said it helped a little, but didn't fix the problem.  Not much does.  My mom used plain, regular Chapstick on hers and it helped some.  My sister just had to outlast it.  The condition comes on quickly and will sometimes resolve in the same manner.  

In the meantime, watch sun exposure, avoid acidic foods and drinks.  Sorry I couldn't find much else.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

my old passport was invalidated immediately, so there's no international travel for at least 2 months.  It would be nice to get away from our winter for a while but it won't happen this year.

I think we will have to renew our passports between our August/September 2023 cruise and our April/May 2024 cruise. Our passports don't expire until July of 2024, but that would be less than six months after the April/May cruise and some of the countries we are visiting prefer (demand?) passports that expire at least six months after arrival.

It would be nice if the old passport was still valid while the government takes their time with renewal.

At least we have an enhanced driver's license that will get us into Canada and Mexico and the Caribbean by sea or land. It also allows us to board domestic flights.

• Like 10

@rafinmd I am not a doctor but I have very dry and sensitive skin.  Here is what works for me.  Frequent (constant) application of a petroleum jelly product (Vaseline or Aquaphor).  Coconut oil is helpful for its moisturizing antimicrobial properties. I have also found success with aloe vera (I have a plant) if it was burning.    Honey will help with its antiseptic properties.  Aloe or honey should be washed off after 15minutes and petroleum jelly/coconut oil applied.  I carry a tube of Aquaphor everywhere I go and frequent application prevents the problem.  Stay hydrated.  Do not use anything with menthol or scents.  I do not recommend chapstick.  Be careful what kind of toothpaste you are using.  It might be creating the problem.  You may want to be sure you don’t have a B vitamin deficiency.

On a lighter note,  spent an hour reading your blogs today.  Delightful!  Felt like I was traveling with you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sorry to hear about your issues Roy.

1 High strength New Zealand Manuka honey is amazing applied directly on to sores.

2 Our UK post office took our photos and for a charge checked our forms were right before sending to our local passport office.

The digital photos need to see your eye's for facial recognition.

Good luck.

Graham 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2