The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 5th, 2022

richwmn

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

This will help. But it is well hidden. Had Bindi not been sniffing EVERY BLADE OF GRASS at the time, I would never had spied it.  

BC84E4DC-8D72-4000-B858-1DDC77734818.jpeg.4d2b67ebae80a8a7613676da7bd1019b.jpeg

I still don't know what I'm looking at.  Deer, bird's nest, rabbit??  Your Bindi sounds like DD's late Gracie who knew if there was a nest with eggs in a tree from 40 paces away!

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We’re coming home we’ve done our time. Getting ready to board  have a great day and thanks for the report and the crew that will be flying us to our first stop. Salt Lake City.

Take care. Hope you feel better soon. Have a safe flight. 

• Like 13

Good morning everyone from chilly Freeport, Maine.  Thanks for the daily report. Hats off to all all of the Ninjas and volunteers out there.  I’ll be wearing blue jeans today as they are the only thing that I packed. The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty; the meal sounds wide open to interpretation.  I love Einstein’s quote.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!🎉

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.

It is a cold and cloudy start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  It is supposed to get up to 40 with some sun peeking through now and then.  Not much planned for today except the morning walk and a trip to the grocery store.  I'm going to make some soup to eat off this week.  The weather requires it.  Maybe some chili as well and then I can alternate.  

Today's meal was listed as Chicken, Sausage and White Bean Stew for me and that is what I found for us.  This first one looks good to me.  I'd leave out the carrots and use kale instead of spinach.  Kale has much lower oxalate content than spinach and for those of us prone to kidney stones, that is important.  https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/chicken-and-sausage-stew-with-white-beans-and-spinach/

1278085854_chickensausagewhitebean1.thumb.jpg.e0ff88395b8eeebb9f64140f09c7a155.jpg

This next one uses a chicken sausage rather than chicken and sausage.  https://www.simplyscratch.com/sundried-tomato-chicken-sausage-and-white-bean-stew/

1724610008_chickensausagewhitebean2.thumb.jpg.6c398a6eb1b99ca3ce42ff6a47590dc0.jpg

Here's one for the slow cooker.   https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-sausage-white-bean-stew/3ef95379-05dd-4443-aeea-8d13717d5e54

778202033_chickensausagewhitebean3.jpg.5a50de45f9276f8a95504c911630d4a3.jpg

This next one uses chicken sausage again.  It is similar to @Crazy For Cats Portuguese Kale Soup.  https://www.alfrescochicken.com/recipes/one-pot-tuscan-chicken-sausage-white-bean-and-kale-stew/

1526557252_chickensausagewhitebean4.jpg.6bc82da9b7f2d55fa6e6320a8fed4b60.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't use regular smoked sausage and actual chicken.  

Here is the Portuguese Kale Soup.  It is very similar to the one above.  And, pretty darn good.  After @Crazy For Cats first mentioned it, I made it and really enjoyed it.  https://newengland.com/today/food/soups-stews-chowders/soups/ruth-odonnells-portuguese-kale-soup/

1467099614_Portuguesekalesoup.thumb.jpg.eb63c8b4a179572ac0c144d2cb018b35.jpg

I think you could get away with adding a little chicken to it if you really wanted to.  

That's all for today, folks.  Time to get moving here and get stuff done!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.  Hoping everyone who is under the weather perks up soon.  @Cruising-along, that means you!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all.  @aliaschief,  Bruce, yes I am addicted. Safe travels home today.

I have worn jeans most of my life except for work. I noticed that DD and DSIL both wear jeans on the days they go into the city for work.

Tonight I am making a chicken dish with shallots,lemon and vermouth that is popular here.

@rafinmd,Roy, I  appreciate  the inclusion  on the care list but I won't  know about surgery until next week. There are others with much more to deal with at this time.

Tana had a bit of a setback yesterday  and is on a different  antibiotic since then. Hopefully this will work.

Have a great day everyone!

That chicken dish sounds wonderful!  Would you mind sharing the recipe?  And, since today's meal was Chicken, anyone else with a favorite chicken dish is welcome to share with us.  

Prayers that the new antibiotic works for Tana.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!  Once again my computer is out of sink with my reality. It says sleet on and off.  Not here. It's cloudy, we are expecting rain, and temps later this week in the 70's.  Where does my computer think it is?

@aliaschief Hope your flight goes well.  Glad to know you are feeling better. 

OK, Dailyites, I was checking on my May flight to Vancouver via Seattle.  They have changed my flight from a 4:30 flight to a 7:30 flight, and now I only have 30 minutes to get from one plane to another in Seattle.  Is this doable?  Or should I suck it up and take another flight and pay more? Not sure how this works.... Air Alaska

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I love how your ship displays the special beverage events!

Nothing about the island in the photo. I thought the display was an eye chart. I guess at four in the afternoon my eyesight was a little impaired.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 9
  • Haha 4

Thank you Debbie. I have modified this from a NYT recipe that hides behind a paywall that I refuse to pay and tend to not measure things after I have made something a few times.

Chicken with shallots and lemon and vermouth 

six boneless skinless chicken thighs

3 tablespoons flour with salt and pepper to taste

3 shallots sliced in half

2 lemons

one half cup vermouth

Preheat oven to 400

dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess

place in a large oven safe skillet

place shallots in between chicken

slice one of the lemons and place those around The chicken as well.

juice the other lemon and add to the skillet 

herbs d’Provance go nicely on top of the chicken pieces,maybe a tablespoon in total.

pour the vermouth over all and place in your oven

It usually takes  forty to forty-five minutes in a 400 oven. I baste twice also.The alcohol burns off so it is safe for folks like me but I must say it smells great while cooking!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!  Once again my computer is out of sink with my reality. It says sleet on and off.  Not here. It's cloudy, we are expecting rain, and temps later this week in the 70's.  Where does my computer think it is?

@aliaschief Hope your flight goes well.  Glad to know you are feeling better. 

OK, Dailyites, I was checking on my May flight to Vancouver via Seattle.  They have changed my flight from a 4:30 flight to a 7:30 flight, and now I only have 30 minutes to get from one plane to another in Seattle.  Is this doable?  Or should I suck it up and take another flight and pay more? Not sure how this works.... Air Alaska

Call the airline and tell them that short of a connection won't work for you (mention the I'm old and can't walk fast angle).  They should be able to work with you on a better time.  At least I hope they do.  Look at what's available ahead of time and have a better plan in mind when you talk to them.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I still don't know what I'm looking at.  Deer, bird's nest, rabbit??  Your Bindi sounds like DD's late Gracie who knew if there was a nest with eggs in a tree from 40 paces away!

Sandi, it IS a deer! Look on the left in the circle is its body. The head is looking straight at us in the brush on the right in the circle. Jeez. A brain teaser!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It is a deer, Sandi. So well hidden, when we passed by this spot on our way home, it took me a minute to find it again. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't seen any ninjas around, have put thousands of hours in volunteering over the years, and both of us live in blue jeans.  DH only started wearing them about 10 years ago; he grew up on the farm where they were work clothes, not day wear.   I bought him a pair of soft blue jeans and he grew to like them - now it's all he wears, except when we dress up.

@aliaschiefconfirmed addict here, no doubt about it.  Best wishes for your flight home today.

@Crazy For CatsHappy Birthday to your lovely Ashlee!

Rest In Peace Bob McGrath from Sesame Street; he was well known in our province, as he came faithfully to our Telemiracle fundraising weekends for 40 years.  We felt like he was one of our own and he will be missed.  As I said in my FB post yesterday, the world became a little less kind with his passing.

I thought we might have a nicer day today, since yesterday saw bright sunshine and moderating temperatures, but last night another force blew in with snow and wind, and we're down to -27C again.  Such is life on the "frozen tundra".

While it was nice out yesterday, DH and I went out to buy him some new travel pants. Both of us are getting tired of him almost having a wardrobe malfunction every time  going through security - taking off his belt which causes his pants to slip down, trying to hold onto them while putting both arms up in the air going through the scan machine, then me having to help re-install it after he's cleared.  I went online and saw that a major chain ending with the word Navy had elastic waist chinos which happened to be on sale, so off we went.  He ended up buying 2 pair, 1 in tan and 1 in black because he declared "they're really comfy!"  Elastic waist with a string tie to secure them without the use of a belt - yay!  Speaking of travel, we leave in exactly 4 weeks from today - woo hoo!

I like today's menu suggestion and serve chicken quite often, but I won't have to cook tonight because DH's daughter sent a container of leftovers from last night's dinner.  Ham, scalloped potatoes, carrots and peas will be what's on our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers for all who have something to celebrate.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Chicken recipe:

6 bone-in chicken thighs

1/2 cup apricot jam

2 TB onion soup mix

1 TB balsamic vinegar

1 TB olive oil

Combine jam, soup mix, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, arrange chicken on it, and spread the mixed ingredients over the chicken. Bake at 350°F. for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

This is derived from a classic recipe that uses bottled salad dressing, a much larger amount than the liquid ingredients here. Originally the expected dressing was a vinaigrette, but there is a well-known variation that uses Russian dressing and pineapple preserves. What I think about that cannot be posted in a public forum.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Debbie.  This is my favorite chicken recipe.

1. Drive to grocery store

2. Go to deli section of store.

3. Purchase 8-piece bucket of fried chicken.

4. Return to house and enjoy chicken.

Hint: You can substitute a rotisserie chicken for the bucket of fried chicken.

Easiest recipe I have ever found.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

This will help. But it is well hidden. Had Bindi not been sniffing EVERY BLADE OF GRASS at the time, I would never had spied it.  

BC84E4DC-8D72-4000-B858-1DDC77734818.jpeg.4d2b67ebae80a8a7613676da7bd1019b.jpeg

I see it. So cute. I had to enlarge the photo and it is very clear then that he is still hiding in plain sight.

• Like 16