Celebrity not changing to local time

81Zoomie

This is this first time in over 40 years of cruising I can remember a cruise line not changing to local time.  We are in Belize tomorrow,  Belize is on  Central US time.  The ships will not change time zones.  This is very unusual, and not the norm.   Even whe sailing in Western Europe or the eastern Caribbean the ships change time zone to reflect +/- one hour difference.  Can anyone add some clarity?  

This is this first time in over 40 years of cruising I can remember a cruise line not changing to local time.  We are in Belize tomorrow and Belize is on  Central US time.  The Apex will not change time zones.  This is very unusual, and not the norm.   Even whe sailing in Western Europe or the eastern Caribbean the ships change time zone to reflect +/- one hour difference.  Can anyone add some clarity?  

Edited by 81Zoomie

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

This is this first time in over 40 years of cruising I can remember a cruise line not changing to local time.  We are in Belize tomorrow,  Belize is on  Central US time.  The ships will not change time zones.  This is very unusual, and not the norm.   Even whe sailing in Western Europe or the eastern Caribbean the ships change time zone to reflect +/- one hour difference.  Can anyone add some clarity?  

There are a couple of cruise lines that never changed to local time. Celebrity almost always does. But the situation in Belize where they would be making the change for just one port, for one day, means that often the captain decides not to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

just ask before you leave the ship what its current time is and plan accordingly

Some of us make private excursion arrangements, and need to know if the stated times of port calls in the itinerary are real times or non-local artificial “ship’s times.”  I hate changing the time on my phone, but I always want ship’s time to be the same as local time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

This is this first time in over 40 years of cruising I can remember a cruise line not changing to local time.  We are in Belize tomorrow and Belize is on  Central US time.  The Apex will not change time zones.  This is very unusual, and not the norm.   Even whe sailing in Western Europe or the eastern Caribbean the ships change time zone to reflect +/- one hour difference.  Can anyone add some clarity?  

I've found that Carnival normally DOES NOT change times on their shorter, closed-loop cruises.

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Some of us make private excursion arrangements, and need to know if the stated times of port calls in the itinerary are real times or non-local artificial “ship’s times.”  I hate changing the time on my phone, but I always want ship’s time to be the same as local time.

On a recent TA from Rome to FLL, we changed times 5 consecutive nights, (it also coincided with DST, UGH what a PITA that was.  I had been forewarned that the captain makes the decision of if/when to change times so I brought a good old fashioned Timex where I could easily adjust the time each day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

I was on Reflection for Thanksgiving and that was the 1st time we didn't change the clocks. I sail Silhouette next week and on the daily planner I did see something about the time change. It's so stupid, I wish we could stop doing it forever.

We were on Reflection the week before and we DID change time!

14 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Seems odd as Jim Iain reported four nights of time changes on the 7 night Solstice Mex Riviera last week and this week.  

Difference is that the West Coast curies that @Jim_Iainis on stayed in the time zone for multiple days (I think they only changed twice).  On the referenced cruise Belize was the only port in Central Time zone. 

14 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Been on over 60 cruises and I have been on a number of cruises where the ship did not change time. Not unusual in the western Caribbean. Cayman often in the past and that was confusing if booking independent stingray tours. Also being back at the right time for the return tender. The clarity is always pay attention. ........

I've also been on some where they did not change to local time (Europe crossing over to UK for one port then back to Europe).  They told us numerous times that we would NOT be changing time and to be sure that we were on SHIP time not local time (it was announced, the waiter told us at dinner, servers in bars told us the evening before, they told us when we walked off the ship in the morning,  etc).  Was not an issue.  We just set our phones ot not automatically change time.  My watch is a manual set, and my husband's Garmin watch sync'ed with his phone which did not change - so we had no issue. We just got out and wandered around on our own so no big deal - we knew what time to be back.  If planning a tour - any private guide could easily see that people were / were not getting off the ship (and would also be aware what was going on - they would likely ask around if they could not contact you) and when you did meet up with the guide - you could tell the private guide you need to be back an hour early if needed.

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

81Zoomie,, I believe that you will find that the private tour operators are pretty aware of what the ships do and will arrange their tours accordingly

But if it is up to the Captain’s personal whim, you cannot count on consistency.  And Princess Customer Service did not know!

16 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

We'd be changing back and forth one hour at night for one port. Not worth the trouble.

Happens all the time.  We've had exactly that situation on cruises at least a half dozen times this year alone.  Not a big deal at all and keeps you on time.

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Happens all the time.  We've had exactly that situation on cruises at least a half dozen times this year alone.  Not a big deal at all and keeps you on time.

We remained on time today with two different non-ship's excursions. Not a big deal, and better than losing and gaining an hour at night for one port.

21 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

On Equinox for the month of November, the clocks were changed to match local time…

21 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Seems odd as Jim Iain reported four nights of time changes on the 7 night Solstice Mex Riviera last week and this week.  

We definitely shifted for one day last week and will be doing the same in 2 days again.  

Having said that I have been on a number of cruises over the year where they stayed on ships time.   If taking private tours most had one spouse stay on ships time and one on local time.  Confusing but it worked.

In September we had an even more confusing one.   Newfounland is a 1/2 hour time zone.    We stayed on ships time for this port on both cruises.  

The Captain has the final word on whether the ship observes a time zone or not. 

No sure if it has changed but Cunard use to shift timezone on TA's at noon instead of midnight.

• Like 1