New 30-minute pool lounger save policy instituted on the Splendor

-Lew-

A new 30-minute pool lounger save policy was instituted on the Splendor February 1st.  Items left on a lounger or sun bed longer than 30 minutes are subject to removal to a table near the pool bar.

The policy is effective as sun beds became available regularly throughout the day today.

I was told by an officer this is slated to become a fleet-wide policy.

• Like 30

On explorer lovely sea day sailing the coral sea.  Chair hogs are out stuff put on loungers at 630 am. The Cruise Director just announced on the noon message that pool staff will remove items sitting on chairs for a long time.

Glad they are enforcing this.

• Like 7

Just wondering how the new policy will affect going to lunch.  Does the new  policy mean that having lunch, for lets say 45 min. your chair is  gone. Wouldn't all agree that one hour makes more sense. Strong possibility this new policy might create problems.

Also would like to know what the cruise director on the Explorer means by " a long time ".

3 minutes ago, Avidtravler said:

Just wondering how the new policy will affect going to lunch.  Does the new  policy mean that having lunch, for lets say 45 min. your chair is  gone.

Some fine tuning may be necessary.  I'm thinking notifying deck personnel you're going to lunch may allow for some additional time.

• Like 3

O.K. 

Back into the Breach!  Here we go yet-again.  Hopefully, this time, not like so-many last times to address this REALLY 1st World lounge chair issue. 

A nagging situation because certain Regent passengers seem entitled to, basically squat poolside as long as the Sun shines on their front, or backsides.  Even when they are not, actually, at poolside for a significant period of time.   

It was interesting that on a long pre-COVID series of Voyager cruises--Sydney to Singapore, effort was made to address this matter.  Daily postings in "Passages" as to how to deal with our fellow-passengers who were overstaying their occupancy. 

Such I refer to as HOGS. 

Staff, with assistance from a ship's Officer, removed certain items--usually a book, hat, or piece of clothing or towel, from that lounge location--to a table immediate adjacent to the Pool Bar.  This was designated as "Orphans Table".  Purpose was to "reunite" guests with their personal belongings.  

Oh, what an understatement.  A more appropriate designation would be "Table of Shame".  It worked.  At-least on the remaining portions of our cruise segments.   

Shame is the best remedy.  

Unfortunately, that remedy has not-always had the desired impact on guests.  On one occasion, was one of several passengers who witnessed a fight between passengers whose initial argument about access to a deck chair encumbered with stuff, escalated to exchanging punches. Staff had to break up that juvenile altercation.  Not a good outcome for combatants.  Both restricted to their respective Suites.  

Captain made a big point of this when communicating same to other guests--over public announcements and in subsequent "Passages" notations.  He invited passengers who witnessed the fight to report details to a ship's Officer (believe it was Mariner) or, directly to him. Which is what I did to a Staff Officer.  

Result:  two days later, Captain announced all combatants would be off the ship upon docking at the next port; and, on their own to return to residences.  Also, they would not be allowed to book a subsequent cruise.  

Just a cautionary Note.  

Let Staff deal with problematic onboard situations.  

GOARMY!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

A new 30-minute pool lounger save policy was instituted on the Splendor February 1st.  Items left on a lounger or sun bed longer than 30 minutes are subject to removal to a table near the pool bar.

The policy is effective as sun beds became available regularly throughout the day today.

I was told by an officer this is slated to become a fleet-wide policy.

Interesting… I disembarked Splendor yesterday and our cruise was plagued with passengers blatantly reserving lounge chairs. I spoke to the GM Mr Galzy about this, and he said they couldn’t remove passengers belonging as that could result in a liability issue , plus they didn’t have the staff to monitor how long things were unattended on a chair. Time will tell if they indeed enforce this policy, it’s not the first time that they have instituted it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Avidtravler said:

Just wondering how the new policy will affect going to lunch.  Does the new  policy mean that having lunch, for lets say 45 min. your chair is  gone. Wouldn't all agree that one hour makes more sense. Strong possibility this new policy might create problems.

Also would like to know what the cruise director on the Explorer means by " a long time ".

Maybe it’s time to go do something else and give other people a chance

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Avidtravler said:

In my world, going to lunch would mean giving up your chair so some other paying guest could actually use it.  If you have to use the rest room, fine, your chair should be waiting for your return.  If you leave the pool deck for any other reason, you forfeit your chair.   

• Like 26

17 minutes ago, nfcu said:

In my world, going to lunch would mean giving up your chair so some other paying guest could actually use it.  If you have to use the rest room, fine, your chair should be waiting for your return.  If you leave the pool deck for any other reason, you forfeit your chair.   

Exactly!!!

• Like 4

One of the main reasons I booked Regent was not worrying about chairhog nonsense… I (incorrectly) assumed that there would be enough chairs for everyone…🤦‍♂️

While it was over a decade ago, Oceania ruthlessly enforced the 30 minute rule… it took about 2 days for people to realize that the rules applied to EVERYONE.  Afterwards, there was a natural ebb and flow of supply. You didn’t stress about leaving your chair as you knew there would be another available when you came back.

Caribbean Sailings + Paddle Tennis Court + trip to Target for Chairs and Umbrellas = solution!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Avidtravler said:

If the new policy is working, there would probably be available loungers when you get back from lunch.

I have quit trying to find a chair/lounger around the pool.  In the past, never found one.

Glad to hear of the policy being put in place, yes, after two days or so, the word will get around and problem should go away.  But as soon a crew let up on managing this policy, word will get out and the problem will start up again.

• Like 5

I was on a recent cruise on the Mariner for the holidays. I gave up trying to find a lounger by the pool unless I went very early. So I just sat in a chair instead and would eye the unused loungers with books on them with envy.  Then I started to see several people who sat in the sun for an hour or so and then would go over to a “reserved” lounger in the shade for awhile before going back to the lounger in the sun. I understand that one needs a break from the sun but they were using two loungers for one person and this happened every day. Not fair since there are not enough loungers in the shade for everyone.

• Like 4

Hopefully this will be enforced on our Splendor cruise in March. Last year's March Splendor cruise was extremely frustrating with the chair hogs.....they just did not care about any other passengers. The only thing I would also like to see happen with this new policy is that "Man Overboard" be announced. OK....a bit "overboard" itself but I think is speaks to my anger with these people.

31 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Hopefully this will be enforced on our Splendor cruise in March. Last year's March Splendor cruise was extremely frustrating with the chair hogs.....they just did not care about any other passengers. The only thing I would also like to see happen with this new policy is that "Man Overboard" be announced. OK....a bit "overboard" itself but I think is speaks to my anger with these people.

Please let us know how you get on and how the 'new rules' are developing, hopefully they will have something more concrete in place by then - we're joining Splendor in April.

4 hours ago, nfcu said:

I think this seems fair. One could always grab a quick burger or a dog at the pool grill at lunch time. Very much in favor of this new policy.

Also anxious to see how this plays out and happily, I will find out in less than a week 😻 will keep the board posted!

• Like 5

Policy schmolicy

It will only work if the pool staff actually follows the policy and removes items from the chairs.

We all know how reluctant the staff is to offend a guest.

And do they really have time to keep track of 30 minutes for every chair?

Reminds me of the old days when the traffic people would mark your tires to see if you overstayed your welcome in the your parking spot.

I am pessimistic.

Good intentions but I doubt it will work

Silversea is worse when it comes to chair hogs but that's because there are fewer places with shade on SS ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Wow!  I've got my first Regent cruise coming up in Dec.  As a refuge from Celebrity I guess I incorrectly assumed that chair hogs would not be a problem on Regent.  Such a disappointment☹️

It really depends on where you are going. 

7 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

There’s also the issue of someone being IN the pool or hot tub. Yes, some of us do stay in the pool for more than 30 minutes if the water is pleasant.

DH and I are pool people...we do not need nor use loungers to put our stuff.  I wish we had a table for this purpose...we leave our towels and personal properties dangerously abutting the pool.  However, I have seen pool people (not you, of course, as you would use the lounger) placing their belongings on loungers and then retrieving them when out of the pool and going inside..  All that time somebody else could have enjoyed the lounger...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Hi, it’s Laurie from our roll call. We’re new to Splendour and I’m wondering if there are other decks with loungers in the shade? We have found on other r

Regent ships we can snatch a lounger on a lower deck than the pool and have shade. We are shade lovers!

27 minutes ago, kihei228 said:

Hi, it’s Laurie from our roll call. We’re new to Splendour and I’m wondering if there are other decks with loungers in the shade? We have found on other r

Regent ships we can snatch a lounger on a lower deck than the pool and have shade. We are shade lovers!

They can put a lounger on your balcony if you like....or they used to do this.