The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 7th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

47 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm hearing on the news that both Milwaukee and McKeesport, Pennsylvania lost 1 police officer last night due to shootings.  Another officer in McKeesport was wounded.  The name of the Milwaukee officer has not been released.  The McKeesport officer killed was Sean Sluganski and the wounded officer's name is Charles Thomas.  Being called to a domestic dispute is very dangerous these days for our men in blue.  Please keep them in your prayers.🙏

Men and women in blue! Sad news and the media will hardly cover it.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all.  Prayers for our care list and good to see Roy posting this morning after a good nights sleep.  

The days today remind me to send a card to a church friend who temporarily had to move to South Carolina to stay with a daughter after an illness.  And I can wear my “ballet flats” for Ballet Day.  Gentlemen — do you know what ballet flats are??

Have a great day everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 23

I'm not an aficionado of ballet, but at least Ballet Day makes sense. The other two sound ridiculous.

Wedding soup or married soup or whatever would be OK with me. Pass on the cocktail but I like Cabot Trail maple cream liqueur. Pinor Noir would be OK. Have not been to Madagascar.

I intended to buy a bottle of Gosling's rum in Bermuda, but the closest I got to either (rum or Bermuda) was in a bar on the ship. I showed up at the Shabbat service on Friday evening with a half-drunk glass of it still in my hand, which was not exactly the right thing to do. One of the platinum benefits on NCL is a bottle of wine in one of the specialty restaurants. The theory was that you'd drink it with the specialty dinner, but since almost everyone has a beverage plan that includes wine by the glass, most people now bring the bottle home. I brought back a bottle of Lindeman's Shiraz from Australia.

Vinho Verde was popular when I was in college. I came in a round bottle like Mateus, which was also popular. I probably haven't had it since, and there are probably much better versions of it than that.

A covid test this morning was negative. It is too early for testing after travel, but I have to go out today and it seemed better to test than not.

1108271499_Threeguesses.thumb.jpg.e1e9e1c93a6fadbd12007ee53a85f567.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Men and women in blue! Sad news and the media will hardly cover it.

Thank you for adding that.  Of course we all know there are many women in law enforcement and they have the same risks as the men do.  True about the news media as well!

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I have a couple of cards to send out today - yesterday I mailed off the Valentine's cards for our grandsons.  I always wave all my fingers at my neighbours; we're blessed with good ones.  The most memorable ballet we saw was on a HAL cruise that stopped in Odessa, Ukraine - a beautiful ballet in an even more beautiful building.  Hopefully it will remain standing.

I'm late to the party today; I slept in!  A rarity for me, so I don't know what happened.  All I do know is I was busy dreaming that several people delivering pizzas came into the house, one took my purse (ostensibly to give it to me for payment), I was distracted, and when I opened it, all my credit cards were gone.  Argh!

I've got breakfast this morning with a number of former colleagues, but we're going to be minus one; her husband passed away while we were on vacation in January.  She's doing alright, but just before Christmas she was diagnosed with cancer and is having radiation treatments.  The radiation in addition to the grief is really hard on her system, so we're going to put together a plan to hire help to assist her with meals, housekeeping, etc. 

I like today's menu suggestion, although I've never made it.  We haven't had shrimp in a while, so I think it's time to make lemon pasta with shrimp to be served at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them, especially for the people of Ukraine, Turkey, and Syria.  We'll give a loud cheer for all with a celebration in their life.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good morning Dailyites. 

Sandi you are a God send to those of us who really look forward to our Daily and Fleet report.

I got an email from Bobby, (a server now!) On the Westerdam. All is well on the ship and there were several improvements during dry dock.

Prayers lifted for our Daily friends, Ukraine, Turkey, Syria, the men and women shot in the line of duty. How horrible each and every time we hear this news. 

No news so far on my Xrays. 

Last night was Game night and we played a fun game called Logo's. We had lasagna,  salad, antipasto, french bread and Elvis cake. 

Today is my sweet sisters birthday! Normally I would have her card in the mail, but we see her next week, so will take it to her along with a few gifts from our travels last month.

I'm always happy to hear from Roy, even though it may be short and sweet. 

Today is my dedicated packing day. The luggage will be picked up Thursday and I have a busy day tomorrow. We will be staying in San Diego for 3 nights prior to sailing so need to divide what we'll be using..  a third world problem. 

Don't forget to write that card, wave to your neighbors. Don't worry about ballet, I got this..

image.png.2ad7f180a0494ae9460646a6bb7a36bb.png

image.png.57d03372092e06175827a93f78c43559.png

image.png.92e16179a25da7fd1ed67276922155cb.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good morning,

The aches and pains have taken on a life of their own. It probably didn’t help with all the cleaning I did yesterday. I am really glad I joined this group. Everyone is so nice. I have my new iPad which is much easier to use and will help during my convalescence. 

I will add a sunrise from my last cruise to start the day.. 

D8430895-F848-48AD-BB73-86F7F0475777.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  I woke up to grey skies and a wet outdoors.  The heaviest rain will start about 1 pm and is predicted to last until 3pm tomorrow, with thunderstorms this afternoon.

Another interesting collection of days today.  I still send birthday cards, anniversary cards, Valentine cards, sympathy cards (too many of those lately) and Christmas cards.  When we're out, we wave to our neighbors just not with our fingers.  Neither of us are fans of ballet.

An interesting quote from an interesting man.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  Another NZ pinot noir that sounds interesting, but even without shipping, it's a little pricey.

We have not been to any port in Madagascar.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you got a better night's sleep.  🛳️ 💐 BON VOYAGE!  🥂 🍾  Have a great and relaxing cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad you slept better last night, and I hope the appointment with the surgeon goes well.

@rafinmd Roy, yeah for a good night's sleep.  

@marshhawk  Annie, best wishes to Chuck for a successful surgery today.

@smitty34877  I'm sorry Tana had a difficult night, and I hope the respiratory issues are much improved today.

@kochleffel  Paul, good news about the covid test being negative, and I hope future tests continue to be negative.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm sorry your former colleague lost her husband and is going through radiation treatments for cancer.  What a great idea to hire someone to help her with meals and cleaning.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you hear good news about the x-ray today.  I've found that if it is bad news, they let you know quickly.  Be careful packing and lifting heavy suitcases.    Please wish your sister HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us.

@cruising sister  I'm sorry you are still having aches and pains from your fall.  Hope you can take it easy today.  Thanks for the sunrise picture.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm hearing on the news that both Milwaukee and McKeesport, Pennsylvania lost 1 police officer last night due to shootings.  Another officer in McKeesport was wounded.  The name of the Milwaukee officer has not been released.  The McKeesport officer killed was Sean Sluganski and the wounded officer's name is Charles Thomas.  Being called to a domestic dispute is very dangerous these days for our men in blue.  Please keep them in your prayers.🙏

Such sad news.

Our condolences for all their loved ones.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I usually email or call friends, rather than a card. I'll wave at any neighbors I see. I like some ballet. Interesting quote; I once thought I'd write a mystery novel. Italian wedding soup is very big here in Western PA; it's served at most restaurants and of course weddings. I'll pass on the drink and take the wine (although a bit above my budget).

I haven't been to Nosy Be Island.

It's cloudy but warming up, with some rain showers later. I'm going to meet BFF and go to see our travel agent about arrangements for our upcoming trip. Everyone is shaken here by the loss of one police officer and wounding of another yesterday. Sadly, a nearby police chief was lost 2 weeks ago in a shooting. Senseless.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting the Fleet Report/Daily and our lists. Odd about your wifi issues.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage!

@aliaschief Good times. Beautiful sunrise.

@0106 It looks like a beautiful day there. Enjoy!

@dfish Good luck with the appointment with the surgeon today. I hope DB is doing ok, and nice that there's someone to help him out.

@rafinmd I'm glad you slept well last night. Hopefully feeling a little stronger each day.

@marshhawk Prayers for DH and his surgical team today. 

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear you and Tana were up during the night. I hope her breathing is better today.

@ger_77 Wow on that dream. That's such a thoughtful thing you're doing for your former colleague with all she's going through. 

@Seasick Sailor I hope you get a good report. Happy Birthday to your sister!

@cruising sister Feel better soon. Lovely sunrise photo. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Maple Leaf cocktail:

Ingredients
Deselect All
2 ounces pear puree
1 ounce bourbon, such as Four Roses
1/4 ounce cognac, such as Remy Martin VS
1/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1/4 ounce grade A maple syrup
1/4 ounce pimento dram
Small yellow or red maple leaf, washed, for garnish

Directions
Add the pear puree, bourbon, cognac, lime juice, maple syrup and pimento dram to a mixing glass, add ice and shake vigorously in a cocktail shaker. Double-strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice, garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.41.10 AM.png

Sounds good!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Seems like every morning when I sit down to make our Daily post, my wifi stops working temporarily.  Maybe it is doing some kind of test, or maybe it's trying to drive me insane!  Anyway after 15 minutes of grief it is back so here we are.  Our weather here is 37F, mostly clear and will rise to 66 this afternoon.  I think we should begin packing for our cruise today so that should be fun.  Not!  I hate packing.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn we have our Daily, and that includes Send A Card to a Friend Day.  I am a card sender but so many people these days aren't.  They appreciate the cards they receive though! 🤔  We also have Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day.  Hmm, sounds like an odd thing to do.  I think I'll just wave my usual way.  And finally Ballet Day.  I don't know any ballet dancers and don't attend ballet performances so hope you all can relate.  Interesting quote by Hemingway but it sounds painful.  The Italian Wedding Soup sounds good.  No thanks to the drink and red wine.  Our port today is a bit different than past postings.  Today is Nosy Be Island, Madagascar.  In the past we've had Tolanaro and Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy Be, Madagascar.  From what I've read Hell-Ville is the old name for Andoany.  And Andoany is the port for Nosy Be.  I haven't been to either one but if you have photos of Madagascar, post anything you want today.  You have my permission! 😁Here is a link to Rich's post on March 7, 2022 when he posted Andoany.  You may find some photos there to repost.

As for the Care list Prayers for all.  We have so many recently departed family members and we send our prayers to the families and friends.  Hoping to hear good news today about Roy, Jacqui, Joy and all those in pain.  Also we want to remember to pray for the people of Ukraine, and the victims of the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.  Three cheers for our Celebration list people and many of those are cruising right now.  Smooth seas for everyone!

I'd better post quickly now while my wifi is working.  I've been sitting here for 20 minutes waiting for it to return again.  Hope you have a better start to your day than me!!

Sandi:  You are doing a nice job covering for Roy and Rich.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi! You are amazing us!  @StLouisCruisers  

Annie, @marshhawk lifting you and DH up for a successful day. Thank you for sharing your wisdom here!  

Terri, @Cruzin Terri Beautiful morning in Miami. Bon Voyage .

Mailing Valentines today.  Sending out the Love. I try to send them to all my single friends, most especially the widows and widowers. My most recent widow friend is in her 50s, has MS, now in a wheelchair, had to quit her job as an Occupational Therapist. She needs to know Love is all around! Humbles me and Makes me grateful!  

Sometimes it’s actually more effective to wave with the whole hand than just one finger! 😉 Especially if you smile. 😁👋

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort and hope. Especially Kathi….  Roy, Jacqui, those in pain, those without a path forward yet, those dealing with loss, natural disasters, war. And an edge of protection around all the rescuers and protectors. 

Congrats to all celebrating. 🎉Life is good. Smooth travels to all away from home. 🚢🚘✈️🏨

I have nothing on my calendar today!  Yay!  Maybe I can actually get something done 🤣. Leaving in 2 weeks for the big family cruise, there’s plenty to do around here….  
—Maureen 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Had a great nights sleep so it must have been the full moon before. We have already been to Costco and Lowe’s to beat the crowds. We picked up a new outdoor thermometer. Our old one, I mean 30 years old, was giving us crazy temps! The recent cold spell did it in. I know we can get temps on our iPads, on our phones and even on the thermostat for the hvac but we like to just look out of the den window!

Prayers for all who need them and will celebrate later with those celebrating!

• Like 19

Thank you for the fleet report.  Glad to hear some of us are feeling much better and so far no more broken bones.   Prayers for those who are facing surgery and for Ukraine and those in Turkey and Syria.

I am feeling a bit better but I am glad to be home.     My son had his liver abscess drained yesterday and now will be in the hospital for a few days on IV antibiotics. We are praying the drain and IV antibiotics work otherwise it is rather complicated surgery as a next step.  

Thank you for all your prayers.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

Up early, they changed the time of DH's surgery today, from 12:30 to 11 this morning, which means of course that we have to be there earlier.  Surgery takes about 45 minutes, and then there is the post op time.  

I was thinking this morning about why we seem to have problems sleeping.  Beside the fact that our body wants us to do something, we are all mentally attached to something stressful.  While these things, or people bring us joy, they bring us worry.  And worry wakes us up at night.

If you Pray,  don't worry.  This was a phrase that I learned and liked when i first got into AA.  If I pray, then I am giving my problems and stress to a higher power, and I should at that point have faith that my higher power will handle my worries for me. 

And yet, I stress over my jobs, I stress over finances, I stress about DH's surgery, I stress about finding the place where the surgery is taking place, I stress over the cats, and what's worse is I stress over staying up too late, and having to get up real early.  Of course I can do somethings to change that stress level, some I cant.  And I do believe that God puts me in the place I am supposed to be so that what I go through will change me for the better.  So I need to regroup this morning, and turn my worries over, clear my head, figure out what I can do to make my stress level lower, and sometimes, that is just ask for help.

cat26.gif

Please try not to stress.

In my case it caused a minor heart attack.

I now take a Beta blocker called Bisoprolol and it really takes away all stress and my heart rate is 60 beats per minute.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 7