Embarkation

sailingsusie

I was wondering, are we still offered a glass of sparkling wine as we get on the ship? We sailed  a few years ago on Celebrity and we got it, but it was 2018 out of San Juan, we will be sailing to Alaska out of Vancouver...just wondering.....

The bubbly when you entered the ship was a nice little extra touch by Celebrity.  One of their trademarks in the past that distinguished them a bit from other lines.   Not sure why it was eliminated post-pandemic.  Yeah I know- everybody will say cost savings.  Having to go to Cafe al Bacio to find it really defeats the original purpose IMO.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

The bubbly when you entered the ship was a nice little extra touch by Celebrity.  One of their trademarks in the past that distinguished them a bit from other lines.   Not sure why it was eliminated post-pandemic.  Yeah I know- everybody will say cost savings.  Having to go to Cafe al Bacio to find it really defeats the original purpose IMO.

If you served like before, as soon as you board, 100% of passengers of age will be offered a flute which requires additional dedicated crew to pour and serve.  How many seasoned cruisers didn’t even know CaB offered it?  How many know about it but decide to do the muster or go their cabin first?  I’d guess they’d use 75% champagne and use the existing CaB waitstaff to pour so also less staffing

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you served like before, as soon as you board, 100% of passengers of age will be offered a flute which requires additional dedicated crew to pour and serve.  How many seasoned cruisers didn’t even know CaB offered it?  How many know about it but decide to do the muster or go their cabin first?  I’d guess they’d use 75% champagne and use the existing CaB waitstaff to pour so also less staffing

We've been on three post covid cruises (recent Apex in March) and never new the sparkling wine was still being offered. Even though we weren't a fan of it, the tradition was nice and a nice way to of welcoming us onboard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We've been on three post covid cruises (recent Apex in March) and never new the sparkling wine was still being offered. Even though we weren't a fan of it, the tradition was nice and a nice way to of welcoming us onboard. 

Totally agree, am just pointing out all signs point to cost cutting 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Totally agree, am just pointing out all signs point to cost cutting 

I wasn't disputing what you posted (agree with) just tagging on that we enjoyed and miss the tradition. We'll check out Cafe Al Bacio when we first board the Eclipse this October even though we have the CBP. 😁🥂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe you missed the news.  TaDa!  The pandemic officially ended by Presidential order.  Today! 

So maybe bubbly will be back.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

We have not been in our past few sailings, but I hear that it is available at Cafe Al Bacio

Who knew??  We have been on two long sailings post covid and never heard about this. Nice to know for those who might want to grab one.

• Like 1

It may have been purely made up (as are many things you 'hear' on board) but the elimination of the bubbly was partially due to the e-Muster. It takes 100+ crew members to staff each muster station from ~11am-3pm rather than the old way when crew did not meet at the muster until right before everyone was called. It took a sizable amount of crew to stock, pour and clean up all of the random glasses around the ship. Since they have to be posted at a muster station for 4+ hours rather than 30 minutes, something had to give. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It may have been purely made up (as are many things you 'hear' on board) but the elimination of the bubbly was partially due to the e-Muster. It takes 100+ crew members to staff each muster station from ~11am-3pm rather than the old way when crew did not meet at the muster until right before everyone was called. It took a sizable amount of crew to stock, pour and clean up all of the random glasses around the ship. Since they have to be posted at a muster station for 4+ hours rather than 30 minutes, something had to give. 

It would be a possibility if there was only post #2 who stated they "heard" but post #3 and #7 are senior CCers who both claimed to have personally picked some up, #7 states they're on a ship now.  It would be a safer assumption to believe they are telling the truth

Thanks for pointing out the e-muster manning details.  With the one time I did the traditional muster with X in 2019, it was cluster like it always had been with other cruise lines.  The safety video started 45mins after the scheduled time so the crew was there for at least an hour and 15mins on that sailing