The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 17th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning Dailyites. 

WELL!! I finally made it through the last few days of the Daily. It was a crazy weekend. So many things happening in the few days I missed.

Thank you to all who faithfully support our group. I like the addition of Rich adding "this day in history" 

The Vineyards were beautiful, our brunch was delicious, and the weather was perfect. Later, friends came by and we played cards til late. A fun day.

Graham, happy Heavenly Birthday to your Pauline's late mam.

Wishing smooth seas to all of our Daily-ites. Wow, lots going on. Have fun!

Today I am going to finish potting plants. I bought 3 too many plants so I'll be looking for planters to finish the job. Then I'm making chicken pot pie and salad and as Gerry says "and wine".

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few more pictures of Rangiroa Atoll.  It is very flat and narrow.  Besides taking the mini bus to the pearl farm, we walked around the small village near the tender dock.

Tiputa Pass which looks like the tide is either going in or out, but still no dolphins.

IMG_4019.thumb.JPG.dbf560c29d2fee8339a5c0dcdfa7a413.JPG

Part of the village

IMG_4041.thumb.JPG.97ce12f3cb1dc605a6c8b6bf7093848b.JPG

A new house under construction.  It looks like they use oyster shells as fill for the foundation.

IMG_4035.thumb.JPG.8696fb1ef5825effdde4faa3ab36d1ad.JPG

IMG_4044.thumb.JPG.c04e6f7d4c5a878cc9d39b352f6e7bd6.JPG

Beach scenes

IMG_4020.thumb.JPG.1180ad64f483d6074a94bed9e5865196.JPG

IMG_4030.thumb.JPG.fe994449d1f54c6f9250226d8160d316.JPG

IMG_4042.thumb.JPG.f068291445efcec4625e34d5ae6c8b0e.JPG

The island from the ship with the main road.

IMG_4047.thumb.JPG.248d119b64ad800a480ad5b02e2215e0.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

WELL!! I finally made it through the last few days of the Daily. It was a crazy weekend. So many things happening in the few days I missed.

Thank you to all who faithfully support our group. I like the addition of Rich adding "this day in history" 

The Vineyards were beautiful, our brunch was delicious, and the weather was perfect. Later, friends came by and we played cards til late. A fun day.

Graham, happy Heavenly Birthday to your Pauline's late mam.

Wishing smooth seas to all of our Daily-ites. Wow, lots going on. Have fun!

Today I am going to finish potting plants. I bought 3 too many plants so I'll be looking for planters to finish the job. Then I'm making chicken pot pie and salad and as Gerry says "and wine".

Thank you Joy for your kind sentiments.

Pauline cries for her mam every day and I miss her too.

On Saturday it will be my lovely late mam's 93rd birthday.

She died of cancer almost 12 years ago.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I can appreciate bats from a distance (I had one in the house years ago!), although when I was at Carlsbad Caverns they were fascinating. Unlikely I'll finish projects on Blah, blah, blah day. When I was in school in Boston, the marathon went right by one of my apartments; it was fun cheering on the runners. Good quote. Maybe on the meal, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine.

I have never been to Rangiroa Atoll. 

Big temperature drop overnight with rain. It was 72F yesterday and now 48F, windy and cloudy. I decided last night that I hadn't seen much drainage from the knee, so I wouldn't wear the gauze or ace wrap overnight. No wet spot on the bed! I did put on just gauze with tape this AM. The antibiotic seems to be bothering my stomach a bit, so I'm eating a yogurt daily to put back good bacteria. If I get time I might pop out to get some probiotics. Packing continues, although mainly done.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Wow, that's a big adventure for your neighbors Brenda and Paul. Nice photos from Rangiroa.

@richwmn Thank you for the history, and prepping so the FR/Daily could continue.

@grapau27 Blessed heavenly birthday to Pauline's late mam.

@Mr. Boston Oh no, deepest condolences on the sudden loss of your brother. Prayers for you and your whole family. Safe travels to Michigan.

@TiogaCruiser Lovely sunrise photos.

@ottahand7 @dfish  Wow, snow; although we may have flurries this evening.

@tupper10 I hope each day is a little better in your recovery.

@kochleffel It was me talking last week about my credit union money disappearing and being on the PA unclaimed property list. Well, last night I got an email saying my claim has been approved by Treasury and submitted for payment! They said it would come either by direct deposit or check, but I don't recall an area to fill out on the claim with direct deposit info. So I guess the check will come while I'm away. I'm glad you got your "found" money so quickly.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you can get some rest; don't try to do everything as fast as you can, although I know you want your house back together. I hope the podiatrist gets that ingrown toenail all fixed up.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

I'm wondering how I will feel tonight.  My next door neighbor has been cutting the grass in my back yard (tiny plot, probably 400 square feet, maybe 30 square meters with the rest of the yard being the townhouse association's responsibility.   Way overdue but it's finally done after taking far too long.  Now the next 3 days medical visits, oncology today, podiatry tomorrow and pulminology Wednesday.  I hope I don't end up worn out.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

@Mr. Boston, I am so sorry for your loss. This breaks my heart. 

Thinking about all who need support as we work to handle what life is giving us. 

Today it is warm here in Pennsylvania. The sun is finally coming out so I may do some yard work later. 

I started the day with a massage which I try and do monthly as my self-care. 

My plans for the day are to finish grading student papers from three classes. I am working from home today, so I have the Juneau port cam up on the television. The first cruise ship should be docking today. The Norwegian Bliss arrives later this afternoon. I just love watching cruise ships coming and going. 

I do intend to go out and pull weeds have they have taken over some of my garden beds. 

Everyone, have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

@Mr. Boston, I am so sorry for your loss. This breaks my heart. 

Thinking about all who need support as we work to handle what life is giving us. 

Today it is warm here in Pennsylvania. The sun is finally coming out so I may do some yard work later. 

I started the day with a massage which I try and do monthly as my self-care. 

My plans for the day are to finish grading student papers from three classes. I am working from home today, so I have the Juneau port cam up on the television. The first cruise ship should be docking today. The Norwegian Bliss arrives later this afternoon. I just love watching cruise ships coming and going. 

I do intend to go out and pull weeds have they have taken over some of my garden beds. 

Everyone, have a safe and healthy day. 

@Mr. Boston  So sorry for your loss...cherish the memories.

Thank you everyone for the Daily!

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm wondering how I will feel tonight.  My next door neighbor has been cutting the grass in my back yard (tiny plot, probably 400 square feet, maybe 30 square meters with the rest of the yard being the townhouse association's responsibility.   Way overdue but it's finally done after taking far too long.  Now the next 3 days medical visits, oncology today, podiatry tomorrow and pulminology Wednesday.  I hope I don't end up worn out.

Roy

Sending you our best wishes Roy that everything goes well and you are not worn out afterwards.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@Mr. BostonMy deepest condolences on the sudden loss of your brother.  

Debbie @dfish Sounds like the perfect time to paint that guestroom.  

Vanessa @JazzyV Yay about the "lost" money on its way to you.  

I don't have a lot on the agenda today, other than the usual cruise planning.  That's what I'd rather be doing than working on unfinished projects (blah blah blah day).  Actually there's only one project that I keep putting off, and that's going through my dear Dad's photo albums I've had since his death 5 years ago.  My sister and I divided up his albums, there were a lot of them.  It's hard to know what to hang onto and what to toss...and so I put it off.

I hope everyone has a good day!

• Like 24

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I hope you get good reports and that your appointments don't take too much out of you.

45 minutes ago, superoma said:

@JazzyVjust sent you an email

I just responded back.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday!

@Mr. BostonSo sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.  Prayers for your family.  

@rafinmdHoping all goes well for you and you continue to progress.

@grapau27Happy Heavenly Birthday to Pauline's Mam.  

We had 80 F days here last week, today we have snow.  Our daffodils do not look happy today!  I was going to put away the winter jacket the other day, but I had a feeling I should wait!!  The meal today sounds interesting, but we're having left over stuffed peppers.  

Have a great week, I'm loving all of the posts from people on cruises!  K

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  It has warmed up nicely, but I'm taking it easy today and catching up on paper work and emails.

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all,

After taking a few days away from the Daily I figured I had better post and let you all know that I am still alive.

All is well, but really busy.  I have not been on CC at all.  Just working all day trying to get things done.

Still waiting for our glass shower doors.

As I have said in the past, it is all falling on my shoulders and I am exhausted.

No more whining.  

Today I have to go to the Podiatrist as I now have an ingrown toenail that hurts like hell.

@Mr. Boston Please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your brother.  You are all in my prayers.  Having lived through this difficult situation, I realize the toll it takes on one’s family.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day,

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I hope you toe is better after the visit to the podiatrist.  While you want the house to be put back quickly, please take some time for yourself so you'll be in better shape to enjoy the finished house.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I can appreciate bats from a distance (I had one in the house years ago!), although when I was at Carlsbad Caverns they were fascinating. Unlikely I'll finish projects on Blah, blah, blah day. When I was in school in Boston, the marathon went right by one of my apartments; it was fun cheering on the runners. Good quote. Maybe on the meal, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine.

I have never been to Rangiroa Atoll. 

Big temperature drop overnight with rain. It was 72F yesterday and now 48F, windy and cloudy. I decided last night that I hadn't seen much drainage from the knee, so I wouldn't wear the gauze or ace wrap overnight. No wet spot on the bed! I did put on just gauze with tape this AM. The antibiotic seems to be bothering my stomach a bit, so I'm eating a yogurt daily to put back good bacteria. If I get time I might pop out to get some probiotics. Packing continues, although mainly done.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Wow, that's a big adventure for your neighbors Brenda and Paul. Nice photos from Rangiroa.

@richwmn Thank you for the history, and prepping so the FR/Daily could continue.

@grapau27 Blessed heavenly birthday to Pauline's late mam.

@Mr. Boston Oh no, deepest condolences on the sudden loss of your brother. Prayers for you and your whole family. Safe travels to Michigan.

@TiogaCruiser Lovely sunrise photos.

@ottahand7 @dfish  Wow, snow; although we may have flurries this evening.

@tupper10 I hope each day is a little better in your recovery.

@kochleffel It was me talking last week about my credit union money disappearing and being on the PA unclaimed property list. Well, last night I got an email saying my claim has been approved by Treasury and submitted for payment! They said it would come either by direct deposit or check, but I don't recall an area to fill out on the claim with direct deposit info. So I guess the check will come while I'm away. I'm glad you got your "found" money so quickly.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you can get some rest; don't try to do everything as fast as you can, although I know you want your house back together. I hope the podiatrist gets that ingrown toenail all fixed up.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, I'm glad the knee is getting better.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I hope you get good reports from all the doctors, and that this busy week isn't too tiring.

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

What a difference a day makes.  It is snowing outside right now.  It is supposed to eventually turn over into rain.  As Nancy @ottahand7 said, the ground is too warm for it to stick.  That is the only saving grace.  

After discussion with Sue, this messy painter is going to be back at it.  The guest room really needs painting and it will be best to do it before Sue moves in and the room is filled with furniture.  Right now there is only a bed in there.  So, I'll be hitting the paint store and getting started this week.  May as well, the weather is supposed to be lousy.  

Debbie, I'm sure Sue appreciates you painting her bedroom.  What color did she (or you) choose?

There are some things you just cannot make up.  I saw this sign in W-M the other day.

20230416_130948.thumb.jpg.5bea17f8fa87373e219386839ac05162.jpg

My small attempt at being a very junior member of the garden club.  I added marigolds and zinnias yesterday to give the flower bed some color, especially after the iris quit blooming.  Last fall, I was worried I'd waited too late to drastically trim the Silverado sage since I couldn't get to it until sometime in November.  I am very pleased with the way they have leafed out and filled in this spring.

20230417_092854.thumb.jpg.68c9c97840d022079e722128f4d26fec.jpg

Lenda

• Like 22

Good Afternoon, the workers completed sealing up the extension to the house.  There is a one way door out just in case anything is under the house.  They will return in one to two weeks to remove the door and seal the rest.  When DH came home he spotted the groundhog at the back fence and ran under the fence into the neighbors yard.  He’s been eating my hostas.  After catching for opossums DH admitted he thought I imagined the groundhog.  I took one of the traps and put it in the back and called the company to advise them.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Maybe the orange cat is the one for you instead of the bonded pair.

I checked the various lost-pet sites. The only orange tabby that really resembles this one was lost from my neighborhood, but three years ago, and this cat doesn't look like one that has been unhoused for long. It's possible that he belongs to someone in the neighborhood and is allowed to wander.

27 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

After catching for opossums DH admitted he thought I imagined the groundhog.  I took one of the traps and put it in the back and called the company to advise them.

I need to trap a woodchuck, too.

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I added marigolds and zinnias yesterday to give the flower bed some color, especially after the iris quit blooming.

I'm now reading to start seedlings under lights -- I don't hurry to do that, because it can be hard to bring them along until it's definitely safe to transplant them here. There are only a few varieties to deal with this year, all flowers that I can't buy as bedding plants if I want them, plus maybe Swiss chard since it requires warmer soil to grow and is hard to germinate. During the summer I'll start lettuce seeds for a fall planting, since they won't germinate in the outdoor heat; lettuce and peas for the spring can be planted outdoors now. I used to plant them earlier, but when I did that, they often took a month to germinate.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I checked the various lost-pet sites. The only orange tabby that really resembles this one was lost from my neighborhood, but three years ago, and this cat doesn't look like one that has been unhoused for long. It's possible that he belongs to someone in the neighborhood and is allowed to wander.

I need to trap a woodchuck, too.

I'm now reading to start seedlings under lights -- I don't hurry to do that, because it can be hard to bring them along until it's definitely safe to transplant them here. There are only a few varieties to deal with this year, all flowers that I can't buy as bedding plants if I want them, plus maybe Swiss chard since it requires warmer soil to grow and is hard to germinate. During the summer I'll start lettuce seeds for a fall planting, since they won't germinate in the outdoor heat; lettuce and peas for the spring can be planted outdoors now. I used to plant them earlier, but when I did that, they often took a month to germinate.

We haven't had a vegetable garden since 1985 when moved from Chester County, Pennsylvania, to The Woodlands, Texas.  With 38 pine trees in the back yard, it was difficult to find a sunny place for a garden.  In that climate, most gardens are planted in late winter and are done by June.  Here, there is very little top soil and limestone bedrock under what there is.

If the orange cat is a neighborhood cat, I hope it finds it's way home.

Lenda

• Like 13

The county government announced today that the public composting facility will soon open for the season. The announcement has a short list of things they will take and a much longer one of things that they won't take, such as concrete and rebar.

• Like 11

The oncologist visit went longer than I expected but I think went well.  The doctor reviewed the CT scan and thought there was minimal chance there is any cancer in the lungs and said that from a breathing perspective they seemed to show improvement but called for continuing monitoring.  My PSA test results take a while to come back but he did indicate that it dropped from October to January which is good news, and while he expects to call for some followup tests in summer I am free of the oncologist until July 17.

My concern about fatigue is from the lawn work rather than the medical stuff.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 10

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The oncologist visit went longer than I expected but I think went well.  The doctor reviewed the CT scan and thought there was minimal chance there is any cancer in the lungs and said that from a breathing perspective they seemed to show improvement but called for continuing monitoring.  My PSA test results take a while to come back but he did indicate that it dropped from October to January which is good news, and while he expects to call for some followup tests in summer I am free of the oncologist until July 17.

My concern about fatigue is from the lawn work rather than the medical stuff.

Roy

Pauline and I extend our prayers 🙏 and good wishes to you Roy that your health improves significantly and you continue to get good test results.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1