Tender Ports

Dancing Shoes

10 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

My itinerary for my cruise does not show which ports may be tender ports.  Is there a way to tell, other than calling HAL.  

HERE

Also the invoice from your TA should have a copy of the itinerary with a list of the ports and this will indicate which ones are tender required.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

My itinerary for my cruise does not show which ports may be tender ports.  Is there a way to tell, other than calling HAL.  

If "tender required" is not shown on any ports, then you don't have any tender ports. You can always call them to confirm if you're unsure.

• Like 2

Be aware that occasionally a port can change from docked to having to tender based on outside factors such as the harbor master rearranging the docked ships for example.  Generally, though, the list from HAL and your itinerary will be correct.

~Nancy

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Can you take a walker on a tender?

Usually yes. But crew can decide it is too risky.

On our partial Panama Canal cruise, walkers and rollators were allowed on excursions. The ship does not dock at Lake Gatun, so a tender must be used to get to the excursion bus.

• Like 1

This summer Reykjavik, Iceland was a tender port. Last summer it was not.

This year there were 5 ships in Reykjavik on both days we were there.

A free shuttle bus took passengers from all ships to the City Center round trip, 

so that was convenient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

This summer Reykjavik, Iceland was a tender port. Last summer it was not.

This year there were 5 ships in Reykjavik on both days we were there.

A free shuttle bus took passengers from all ships to the City Center round trip, 

so that was convenient.

We were on the NCL Prima, and for us Reykjavik was not a tender port. However, we did see a Holland America ship in port that was not at the dock, so their passengers would have had to tender.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

HERE

Also the invoice from your TA should have a copy of the itinerary with a list of the ports and this will indicate which ones are tender required.

Looked up Villefranche, France (near Nice) for our April 2024 Oosterdam cruise and nothing is listed on our TA invoice/itinerary or on this HAL link to indicate it is a "tender port" but I thought it is a "tender port"?

Any intel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Looked up Villefranche, France (near Nice) for our April 2024 Oosterdam cruise and nothing is listed on our TA invoice/itinerary or on this HAL link to indicate it is a "tender port" but I thought it is a "tender port"?

Any intel?

It's a tender port.  It is listed as such in the itineraries on the website.

Screenshot2023-09-11210911.thumb.jpg.a3e7cd98ebf98325c28bf27abd85fe85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were on the NCL Prima, and for us Reykjavik was not a tender port. However, we did see a Holland America ship in port that was not at the dock, so their passengers would have had to tender.

We were on the Voyage of the Vikings on the Zuiderdam and we did have to tender in Reykjavik.  First time ever tendering on an overnight. I understood why the NCL ship was parked because their cruise was starting from there. Holland America being too cheap? Or didn't apply for a berth soon enough? 

• Like 1

In March 2019, I checked each of the port schedules for our upcoming 2 week Norwegian cruise. For our June 14 visit to Trondheim, the port authority showed us tendering at a secondary port facility about 4 K from the main port, where HAL indicated we would dock. This other facility was little more than a marina for sailboats.

HAL was adamant that we would be docking, so I wrote to the port authority asking them to clarify the situation. On March 27, they confirmed in writing that we would be tendering at the secondary port, just as the website showed. HAL continued to insist that we would be docking, but sure enough, we tendered from the other facility. Fortunately, they were able to arrange for shuttle buses to take us into town and back.

No, Trondheim is not on the list of tender ports. Maybe guest services was using that as their source of information when insisting we would be docking.

Lineup to return to the ship:

DSC_1053.jpeg.ddd086785e7e90a322f74359fc66a7c6.jpeg

The tender port:

DSC_1051.jpeg.ea1d29ca82645b80f274060613c9e314.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Any intel?

Yes, Villefranche is a tender port!  There are no docking facilities for any cruise ships.   Also keep in mind that if you are planning on using the train, you must walk up many steps to reach the train station.  The regional buses also involve a walk (uphill).  You also cannot count on there being taxis sitting at this small port.  This is a place where it makes sense for some to book an excursion (or pre-arranged private guide/transportation).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In March 2019, I checked each of the port schedules for our upcoming 2 week Norwegian cruise. For our June 14 visit to Trondheim, the port authority showed us tendering at a secondary port facility about 4 K from the main port, where HAL indicated we would dock. This other facility was little more than a marina for sailboats.

HAL was adamant that we would be docking, so I wrote to the port authority asking them to clarify the situation. On March 27, they confirmed in writing that we would be tendering at the secondary port, just as the website showed. HAL continued to insist that we would be docking, but sure enough, we tendered from the other facility. Fortunately, they were able to arrange for shuttle buses to take us into town and back.

No, Trondheim is not on the list of tender ports. Maybe guest services was using that as their source of information when insisting we would be docking.

Lineup to return to the ship:

DSC_1053.jpeg.ddd086785e7e90a322f74359fc66a7c6.jpeg

The tender port:

DSC_1051.jpeg.ea1d29ca82645b80f274060613c9e314.jpeg

We did not tender in Trondheim on the NS in May.

image.jpeg.b650434f7b455bc4fbac1290f56fe7dc.jpeg

Not our ship

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Any intel?

If the vessel is going to the Villefranche-Sur-Mer bay, it is most definitely a tender port, as no cruise ship berth is available. I don't believe cruise ships of that size can dock in Nice, which is a couple of miles West.

Only berth I am aware of in that area is the one inside the breakwater in Monaco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Our NCL Prima cruise had an overnight in Reykjavik, and then we disembarked the next day. The next cruise did start from there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Our NCL Prima cruise had an overnight in Reykjavik, and then we disembarked the next day. The next cruise did start from there.

Note, I somehow ended up quoting myself, but this was really supposed to be in response to post #13 by JeffElizabeth.

• Like 1