The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 22nd, 2023

richwmn

Today is Hobbit Day, Business Women's Day, and Elephant Appreciation Day

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Halibut and Bok Choy with Coconut-Lime Dressing
Drink of the Day - Classic Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Tarima Mediterráno white blend
Destination of the Day - Sakaiminato-Matsue, Japan Tottori

Today in History:
1692 Last people hanged for witchcraft (8) in the US, 19 hanged overall, with six other deaths during Salem Witch Trials
1920 Chicago grand jury convenes to investigate charges that 8 White Sox players conspired to fix the 1919 World Series

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Statendam

Alexandria, Egypt 0500-2000

Noordam

At Sea Destination Valdez, Alaska eta 09-23

Oosterdam

Corfu, Greece 0800-1800

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands eta 09-23

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930,1300-2200

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

Saguenay

Zuiderdam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0800-1700

0922Alaska.thumb.png.473f0b04a3b0165013fc2076ce63c086.png

0922Atlantic.thumb.png.fc083eb5e5261ddd0f7304d4bd3f9065.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's 13C (56F) but still too dark to take Bertie for a walk.  We have skunks in the neighbourhood and I don't like going out until it's light.  Sunrise should be soon.

Happy Hobbit Day!  I support Women's Businesses.  Elephants are magnificent and need to be protected.

Good quote.

Not sure about the meal, the grilled halibut would be nice but I'll pass on the coconut lime dressing.  The drink is good, hope the wine is too.

I've never been to Japan.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  3 Great days to celebrate, especially Business Women's Day.

I have not been to Sakaiminato-Matsue..

I like the Twain quote.  Thank God the witchcraft trials are finally behind us. 

Stayed awake to my usual bed time last night.  Off soon to Wegmans.  Then next Friday I wake up in New York and make the short journey to Red Hook, Brooklyn.

I'll pass on the Salmon.  My alternative is Empire Builder M&C(Lunch) and Steak(Dinner) as served on Amtrak's Empire Builder on the way to Seattle and MS Oosterdam.

dishes0922.jpg

Roy

• Like 45

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports,food and beverage and various lists Rich,Ann, Debbie, Dixie and Vanessa.

3 important days and an excellent Quote.

Not sure about the halibut.

Important history days today.

We have never been to today's port so photos gratefully received.

I hope everyone is happy and well.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 32

Elephants 🐘 make me smile; their lifelong commitment to those who are special to them is remarkable and a quality the world needs more of. Happy to see female contributions celebrated.

The quote is good.

Pass on the food and drink.

Not been to Japan (yet).

Thank goodness the witch hunts stopped - what a horrific time that was.

Shoulder is moving a bit more; I brought Therabands with me, not same as full-on PT, but they help.

DH had his Echo this past week; I received a notice from Cardio they scheduled another one for next week. So, does that mean the 1st one was inconclusive or did he see something and wants to take another look? Geez, I wish I was there. DH is horrible at asking questions and worse at relaying info.

Beautiful sunrise - Today is last sea day for the first leg; we're in NYC tomorrow for Turnaround Day. Pax on that leg received communication from the cruiseline to NOT go to the port until they hear from them as the weather may not allow us into port. We have not received any communication about potential delays in NYC. For those of us staying on, no big deal, but for pax getting off, they probably need to know if there's a change. Tropical Storm 16, I believe they called it.

Ugh...

We get towel animals on dressy nights - this is last night's. 

I miss the top-notch laundry service on HAL. Sis jeans came back wet; they're drying in the shower.

Hope we hear back on what's causing our threads to get locked.

Dressy night is alive and well represented on our ship!!

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20230922_075558.jpg

20230922_073139.jpg

20230922_072246.jpg

20230922_072229.jpg

20230922_072210.jpg

20230922_073028.jpg

20230922_080526.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 6

Classic Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Knob Creek® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3 dashes of Bitters
Pinch of Sugar
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Muddle sugar and bitters in a rocks glass. Add bourbon and ice. Stir. Top with a cherry as garnish.  

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 7.05.50 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

Today’s Care List:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou passing on 9/18

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis, onboard Jewel of the Seas

Marshhawk’s house issues

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui

Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

1Angelcat’s friend Barb recovering from surgery for pancreatic cancer

Cruising-along’s DBIL diagnosed with prostate cancer

Kazu with elbow pain and mobility issues

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Back Cruising-Along!

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from the hospital, post-surgery for brain bleed

Rafinmd (Roy) recovering from Covid and to cruise soon

Cruzin Terri feeling better

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Vmax1700 (Rotterdam Sept 23 to Oct 7, Jewels of the Baltic)

3 days for ocean sounds (Royal Princess Sept 25 to Oct 2, Vancouver to Honolulu)

7 days for Rafinmd (Queen Mary 2/Crystal Serenity Sept 29 to Oct 13) NE, CA/Quebec City to NY

Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa to Sept 24, British Isles + 2 days in Copenhagen), Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas to Sept 28, Canada and Greenland), Haljo1935 (Carnival Venezia to Sept 29, B2B, NY/Canada/NE), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), tupper10 (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), Oceansaway17 (Celebrity Summit Oct 2, Boston, Maine & Canada) and Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities)

• Like 27
  • Thanks 19

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Another nice day here although the weekend weather promises to be wet.  Yesterday I was able to get the deck cleaned up, it’s fall ready but not yet ready for winter.  My work schedule has only one meeting so hopefully I can finally get completely caught up from vacation and taking on two accounts.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.19ee8578c0249b378a6ee32b1386de12.png

• Like 38

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

And thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Dixie & Debbie

I’ll happily celebrate Business Women’s Day & elephants and salute Tolkien.  Love the quote by Mark Twain - it’s so very true.  The day is off to a good start - we have a white wine 🙂. Looking forward to hearing about it.

IMG_0945.thumb.jpeg.94f6101207fc65fdaf7fb1921f2c6b4c.jpeg

Two significant days in history - one sad with cheating and one of relief with the end of burning “witches”.  

Long day yesterday between my pain therapy (that’s what I call it now 😂) that I pay for and Ivan.  He was no better when I got home and then the 💡 came on in my feeble brain.  the only way he could have gotten the cheese was to get on his hind legs.  Hind legs + damaged bones in his back = exacerbation of his pain.  He got a pain pill and slept the afternoon and part of the evening away, got chicken broth at 9:30 when he woke (big mistake) and this morning he is coming around 😥  I could tell he was sleeping better since he was cuddling his koala.  LOL.

IMG_1181.thumb.jpeg.e61f0792c78ee9e7d1d043e585da155a.jpeg

I am hopeful at least, that is what caused his pain.  Today, with luck, he will continue to improve and the remainder of all of the planters will be completed 🤞 More rain coming this weekend so it MUST be done.

IMG_1109.thumb.jpeg.7a2ec63709fd276607c4d9bc6dff2870.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_1129.jpeg.13a9951f99e704418eb8fe39d0e2fec2.jpeg

Have a Good Friday, everyone.

• Like 34
  • Haha 10

Good morning from Washington PA. I think we are snake bit.  A tropical storm formed off the Carolinas and is heading up the coast with 50 mph winds.   I already heard from our friend that sits next to us at the Ravens game he is doubtful they will make the drive from Lewes, DE.  We brought rain gear but if we have high winds we will watch the game from our hotel room.   Upsetting but we will wait and see.  We still will be able to get together with our friends we missed seeing last year when another storm blew up the coast.  Happy Friday everyone. Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  This morning it is 76F, will be mostly sunny and 94 later.  It will be mid 90's this weekend too.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for Friday.

Well, I don't know much about hobbits but I can appreciate business women and elephants any day.  I love the common sense quote of Mark Twain.  I would pass on the halibut with bok choy and the old fashioned but would give the white wine a look.  Not so nice days in history with one about the witchcraft hangings and the other about fixing the World Series.  I will need to look up what happened after the investigation into the World Series since I don't have a clue what they found out about it.  Thanks to Debbie @dfishDixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their food and beverage reports today!

Prayers today for our Care list people and DB and friend's DB Mark.  I am thinking of you all especially Terry @smitty34877 Tana and family.  It was good to hear from you yesterday Terry.  For those on the Celebration list congrats, bon voyage, happy birthday and happy anniversary!  This place is going to be empty with everyone gone!  As for me I didn't get much sleep last night as I didn't feel well, but I think I need to drink a lot more fluids (and not just wine!).  I am doing my best to keep up with that.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your excellent list keeping.

The port of the day is Sakaiminato-Matsue, Japan Tottori, a place I have never been.  We have seen that port here before on Dec. 6, 2021 and August 3, 2022.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.  Hope we see some photos!

The elder DGS is moved into his dorm room at UCLA with two other young men and he looks happy in his Mom's Instagram post.  🙂  DS and DDIL will arrive home this evening and it will be a busy weekend with a game tomorrow morning against the Colorado Rapids team that old buddy Colton plays on!  I know they will be happy to see each other but this will be a completely different thing competing against each other.  Colton's Dad is flying in today from Michigan to see Colton and Ren play, and guess what?  We are having him here as an overnight guest on the LR sofa bed.  There will be 6 of us in this 2 bedroom apartment but it will work out fine.  Then Ren has a game Sunday morning against a different Colorado team, but I don't have any info on that yet.  Should be interesting!

Hope everyone here has a good start to their weekend.  Stay safe and well, and hydrate! 

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Quiet night at sea and we are in the English Channel off of Guernsey, 550 nm to go until Hamburg.  After six mornings of early excursion departures, it felt good to ease into the day with breakfast in the MDR. Met a very nice couple from Denmark. I also spent some OBC in the Candy Store this morning.  😁

We booked another MSC cruise while onboard, this one to Istanbul next year from Trieste. I hate to contrast the two cruise lines but compared to HAL, their Future Cruise Onboard benefits are better.

A beautiful sailaway last evening which made it worthwhile to have dinner in the Buffet! I still cannot transfer my camera photos to my phone! Being an Italian cruise line, everytime we depart a port they broadcast Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman's " Can te partiro" ("Time to Say Goodbye") which I can never grow tired of hearing.

Stay Safe and prayers for all in need.

-Jack

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily.  
Have I mentioned how much I enjoy the fleet report - seeing their locations on the maps makes me think of all the happy cruisers today!

Todays quote is so true.  Thank you to all who make the Daily a special place with your contributions.  Wishing health and peace to all in need, and hoping you all have a wonderful Friday !

• Like 32

Nothing against any of the special days, but I probably won't do anything to celebrate them. Mark Twain is buried here.

The "like bok choy" was yesterday. Dinner today will be haddock and ratatouille. To my mind a "classic" Old Fashioned would be made with brandy, not bourbon. For the wine, I'd choose Keuka Spring Classic Riesling. I haven't been to Sakaiminato-Matsue and wouldn't have been in the Celebrity cruise for 2021 that was cancelled. A long time ago I worked in a town that abutted Salem, Mass.

I did not intend to wake up at 5:00 a.m.

TheComics.thumb.jpg.a994a7afc249156ddacf433e22b1aa34.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 8

Good morning. It is cool and sunny and will reach 70 later.I have not been to Japan and like the recipe suggestion. I had a request for chicken enchiladas from the teenager that I will put together later.

I had a private PT business and saw patients in my home and on weekend for many years. Of course, I still had my regular PT job in order to have health insurance. Those were busy years but enabled us to take cruises and see a little of the world.

I have relatives in Peabody Massachusetts and we learned a lot about the Salem witch trials-the next town. Interesting how paranoia works when fear is mixed in. Hmmmm.

I found Fred in our room yesterday lying on the rug where the hospital bed was and joined him on the floor. Dogs are incredible.

IMG_0426.jpeg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Dailyites!

OMG, have I actually made it to the first page?! Wow!

The Mark Twain quote is fabulous. And all the Food & Bevvie suggestions sound tempting. I will be looking for @dfish Debbie’s recipes later today for inspiration. I haven’t been to our port of the day, but love going most places in Japan. Getting there is another thing altogether.

Since every year is a Voting Year in Virginia, we will soon be off to the Registrar’s Office  on this first day of Early Voting to make our selections for the State House and local positions. After that, I will treat myself to a pedicure in preparation for our trip next week.

Hopefully, Mother Nature will respect our Friday Date Night so that we can grill our steak to accompany our baked potato and salad, before much needed rain arrives for most of the weekend. Oh, there will be wine involved, LOL!

Sending virtual hugs to those facing challenges and cheers to our celebrants. Wishing you all a great weekend.

-Cat

• Like 33

Happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report. 

It is 49 degrees out now and sunny. Love it. Working from home today mostly gradings assignments. The plan is to get to the gym later and take Fancy to the park as tomorrow is expected to be cold and rainy. Watching cruise videos as I dream about my cruises in 2024 and 2025. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Friday Memes: 15 Memes to Put You in the Best Mood Ever — Best Life

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich!  Bindi & I enjoyed an early morning walk with just enough breeze to freshen the air. The sun is just beginning to break through the marine layer. More rain is predicted, but yesterday’s predicted rain never materialized. 

Vanessa, thank you for doing everything you do so well! I have a lot to do today, since a great deal of yesterday was spent at dealerships. But I got my plug-in hybrid. Pickings were slim, so I ended up with a Volvo. I decided to lease, so I would be forced to look around again in a couple of years. Maybe by then Hyundai will sell its model in Florida, or Toyota & Kia will have an actual inventory vs being put on a waiting list. Though I am impressed that the dealership matched my Carmax offer for my old Prius & offered a $7,500 EV lease credit - even though mine is an EV hybrid.  I am not ready to trust a totally electric vehicle - yet. But I am trying to reduce my footprint as much as possible. My next step is to have a 240v outlet installed, so if I need a faster recharge, I can do it. 

I have decided who I want to be this Halloween….

IMG_0942.jpeg.296751cb71e20b6a612495c59d73d235.jpeg

I even started a new exercise routine to help. 😎

IMG_0930.jpeg.e585a94346a3add52f61904acccdeae5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying that each day is a bit easier for all of you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Roy, I am so thrilled you didn’t cancel your cruises! Let them pamper you!

Hoping that each of us finds a reason to smile today. 

Tarima Mediterráno white blend

This lovely Spanish white blend is perfect for a hot Summer evening. Medium body, a bit towards the lighter side.  Not too sweet, but not super dry either. Wonderful with salads, seafood, poultry, fish - or just to sip. Who know, it might even hold up to beef. Consumers give it 4+ stars. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $15.99.

Distributor notes

Tarima Mediterráneo is a white wine made with the Merseguera and Moscatell varieties in the Volver winery in the D.O. Alicante, in Valencia (Spain).
Part of the Jorge Ordóñez winemaking group, the Volver winery was founded in 2004 by winemaker Rafael Cañizares. A project with an international outlook that champions traditional methods and makes wines in the Alicante, La Mancha and Jumilla Denominations of Origin, among others.
Tarima Mediterráneo comes from 20 hectares of vines planted in calcareous soils that are very poor in organic matter. The vines are over 50 years old and traditionally cultivated to achieve very low yields. The harvest is carried out when the grapes reach optimum ripeness.
In the winery, the Tarima Mediterráneo grapes are meticulously selected and destemmed. After a gentle pressing, the resulting must, which is very clean, ferments at a controlled temperature of 16ºC in stainless steel tanks. Once the wine is filtered and clarified, it is bottled ready for sale.
Made with two leading varieties from the D.O. Alicante and with a strong maritime influence, Tarima Mediterráneo is a white wine that perfectly expresses the area’s Mediterranean character.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3