Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

what abt cancel any reason?

we get coverage primarily  for high  Medical expenses (medicare does not pay out of US), return home if ill/ injured and repatriation of remains  Policy has some trip interruption and lost luggage..but never looked if it covers passport or other thefts???

used  ins twice for cancellation .my gall bladder emergency,  2 days before a  cruise..and  when dtr under our care needed surgery for a serious diagnosis ..  Ins covered most but not all!

Better than no ins at all!

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

what abt cancel any reason?

I believe that the 'any reason' part usually expires about 48 hours before you first depart doesn't it?

So that element would not usually help with a lost/stolen passport if you are already traveling to your departure point...

... and in relation to this thread, it is not an option available from UK insurers.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 12:29 AM, Mark_UK said:

I asked them the same last night. The hotel suspect someone is able to clone the electronic keycards as this has happened a number of times. The CCTV  also shows 4 masked men going into the property. This particular hotel has 3 buildings located near eachother, only 1 of which has a reception. Parents were placed in one of the annex buildings. 

The Safeway in my old neighborhood had a vending machine that we discovered could clone our Condo key cards and fobs.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, Torfamm said:

Passport cards have your name, photo, and date of birth but unique numbers and dates can be different.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:32 AM, HxFx said:

The passport card has a different number, even if you get them at the same time.

While your actual PP number doesn't appear on a PP Card, all other pertinent information and numbers do.

If you look at the strip on the bottom of your PP you will see a series of numbers that include your PP #, DOB, and a string of numbers.

Now look at your PP Card.  The string of numbers on the back includes the number of your PP Card, your DOB followed by a string of numbers matching those on your PP.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, micruiser2002 said:

You could also lose that.

Yes, you could.  But take a second and think about that.  If you are carrying either of a copy of your PP or PP Card they could be lost or stolen.  If you leave either of them in your hotel room the same thing that happened to Mike's parents could happen to you....they could be stolen.  

Perhaps the best solution is to travel with both.  Leave the copy in your room safe and carry the card with you.

4 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Perhaps the best solution is to travel with both.  Leave the copy in your room safe and carry the card with you.

The best solution is to have a picture of your pp on your phone or save it to a email account you can access remotely or to Google Share drive.

• Like 5

Latest is that Celebrity are considering issuing a Future Cruise Credit, I assume to the value of what they paid, should the insurance not payout. They are checking whether this can include the successful MoveUp bid also. 

Whilst it means they won't make the 16th, if X do go ahead with that then I think it's a very reasonable and much appreciated gesture on their part. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

The best solution is to have a picture of your pp on your phone or save it to a email account you can access remotely or to Google Share drive.

My parents had both a photo and scanned copy of their passports on them - no one would accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Latest is that Celebrity are considering issuing a Future Cruise Credit, I assume to the value of what they paid, should the insurance not payout. They are checking whether this can include the successful MoveUp bid also. 

Whilst it means they won't make the 16th, if X do go ahead with that then I think it's a very reasonable and much appreciated gesture on their part. 

I had a replacement FCC immediately transferred to a cruise by the Engagement Centre rep when X cancelled an Apex cruise.  If they're really wanting the 16th, and the FCC has been created, try asking if the FCC can be applied.  Or does it depend on insurance payout which could take a while?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

The disadvantage of the FCC is it will be based on the price paid for the missed sailing.   I'm sure the sailing on the 16th is probably significantly more.   Having said that FCC is a nice good will gesture that they certainly don't have to do in this situation.   

A year ago when they had lots of empty cabins on all sailings they may have been willing to move them to another sailing.   At this point they can probably still sell that cabin at prevailing rates.

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The disadvantage of the FCC is it will be based on the price paid for the missed sailing.   I'm sure the sailing on the 16th is probably significantly more.   Having said that FCC is a nice good will gesture that they certainly don't have to do in this situation.   

A year ago when they had lots of empty cabins on all sailings they may have been willing to move them to another sailing.   At this point they can probably still sell that cabin at prevailing rates.

Yeah I had the same thought and we hoped a simple transfer would be possible but seems not. They paid about £2500 I believe, under the old 'all included' package so a fair bit of OBC too. Then £500 on a MoveUp. An equivalent cabin now is close to £4700, with no OBC. 

But given it wasn't Celebrity's fault certainly can't blame them and this would be better than nothing. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I believe that the 'any reason' part usually expires about 48 hours before you first depart doesn't it?

So that element would not usually help with a lost/stolen passport if you are already traveling to your departure point...

... and in relation to this thread, it is not an option available from UK insurers.

ah thanks for that info..I have heard the term but never new of its scope and limits.

54 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Yeah I had the same thought and we hoped a simple transfer would be possible but seems not. They paid about £2500 I believe, under the old 'all included' package so a fair bit of OBC too. Then £500 on a MoveUp. An equivalent cabin now is close to £4700, with no OBC. 

But given it wasn't Celebrity's fault certainly can't blame them and this would be better than nothing. 

So pleased it looks as if Celebrity are willing to help. As you say, it is a good gesture on their part…The decisions made were out of their hands. Anything they offer is a bonus…

We have always been amazed over the years that some companies will go ‘above and beyond’ and others will resort to ‘terms and condition’ and not budge an inch…In all fairness to Celebrity, when my husband died earlier this year, they genuinely could not have been more helpful or flexible…

Sincerely hope that your parents can enjoy a wonderful vacation without having to spend too many extra £££.

• Like 5

On 9/25/2023 at 6:17 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

I was told by my TA to always keep it locked in the hotel safe and walk around d with a color copy. Also leave a color copy at home with a loved one in case if situations like this. The copies can’t get you in a ship but the it may make it easier to get it replaced having the passport id number and issuing dates. 

Hi…question….why a color copy vs B&W?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

Not sure how it works in the US, but for Brits emergency docs are issued via an online form now. No need for previous passport details, copies, etc. 

https://www.gov.uk/travel-urgently-from-abroad-without-uk-passport/how-to-apply

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

I was told by my very well-traveled travel agent who has been doing this for over 35 years. I assume bc they look most authentic if you have to show them to someone for some reason while on shore.  I also assumed the copies were so you had your document numbers and issue and expiration dates on hand if they were lost or stolen. I’ve just always done it this way. Seems logical to me….i had no idea it was such a debated topic. Cheers! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

I really hope and it does sound promising that Celebrity pulls through for your parents and in addition offers the value of the move up bid and OBC. Yes they may pay a bit more but chalk it up to a hard lesson learned and move on and enjoy their next cruise. I don't know their ages or financial circumstances but if it were me I would take their offer even  if hard on the pocket book. After all, life is short and you can't take it with you.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

You are making real progress. Offering to turn up at Woking might enable a new booking, FCC etc all to be done simultaneously. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

My parents had both a photo and scanned copy of their passports on them - no one would accept it. 

it will help with expediating to get back home.  I lost my passport in Aruba.   Had to file a claim with the embassy and needed to go to the police station to file a report-   Had I have a picture and the numbers the entire situation could have been  taking less time.  Spent too much time with the process   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

That seems very fair to me.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, Mark_UK said:

I should also add they have copies of their passports on them which have proven to be of no use at all. 

I've always wondered about this as I've read many posts advising people to carry copies of their passports with them instead of the real thing.  I didn't think a copy of a passport would be of much use and it seems it isn't.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've always wondered about this as I've read many posts advising people to carry copies of their passports with them instead of the real thing.  I didn't think a copy of a passport would be of much use and it seems it isn't.

A copy will be useful for obtaining an emergency passport. 

• Like 3

I’ve always read posts from people who say you must take your passport ashore every day. This unfortunate thread should highlight once onboard if the cruise line don’t take your passport (which I prefer!) it’s passport to the safe until disembarking unless there is a legal requirement to have it with you ashore. 

I accept some countries ask that you carry an official document and many guests just use the passports again we never do that -  we will use our driving licenses whenever we can

I know the original passports were stolen before the guests got on board and once on board, perhaps the inconvenience is a little less, but still don’t carry passports ashore unless you absolutely have to. 

I hope things are beginning to settle down for the poster and his parents, and the time they are able to enjoy a wonderful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

A copy will be useful for obtaining an emergency passport. 

Perhaps, although I suspect the embassy will have no problem locating your passport information with, or without, a paper copy. There's certainly no harm in carrying a copy though.