Too old to cut the mustard anymore :)

cruiseorcamp

So I have posted this on RCCL as that is our upcoming cruise.

However, has anyone been denied shore excursions due to their age?

I understand that there are certain types of activities that might not work for disabled folks, but we have been denied 2 or 3 excursions at Cozumel port.  Over 70.

This will probably be our last trip there and wanted to do something fun.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, cruiseorcamp said:

I understand that there are certain types of activities that might not work for disabled folks, but we have been denied 2 or 3 excursions at Cozumel port.  Over 70.

Thank you.

Hello @cruiseorcamp

To help you out, your new thread posted on an incorrect forum has been moved to the Royal Caribbean International forum.

suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

10 hours ago, cruiseorcamp said:

Thank you.

I was 1 year too old to be allowed to do a bird watching rcl excursion in Belize. Denied. Insurance I'd guess. .. but seriously bird watching. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I just saw this for a hop on and off bus I believe for that port too.  It said age not to exceed 75 years old.  I was a bit shocked to see that, for such a “mild” excursion.  Last time I was on Royal was 2011.  Understand it is the third part vendor setting the parameters, but maybe Royal could pick some other vendors.  

• Like 1

Seems strange that all the vendors in all the ports seem to of come out with these restrictions in the last two to three years.  Both for age and being medically 100% fit with no medical history. It was difficult to choose something interesting,  there were so many conditions. 

Do the vendors at the ports have the same conditions if you buy locally?  In which case is it the vendors or Royal Caribbean ?

Can't speak specifically for age restrictions, but I will assume they will verify, and deny participation if you don't meet the requirements.

Our horseback riding excursion in St Martin had weight limits, and yes, everyone had to step on a scale prior to boarding the bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Can't speak specifically for age restrictions, but I will assume they will verify, and deny participation if you don't meet the requirements.

Our horseback riding excursion in St Martin had weight limits, and yes, everyone had to step on a scale prior to boarding the bus.

They won’t even let you book the excursion for an age restriction.

Try contacting the tour operator directly or booking outside of the ship's excursions.  Sometime, not always, the restrictions are not from the operator themselves.  Usually the guidelines are no different but in some circumstances there can be variances in times available and other restrictions that the ship's excursion placed not the operator.  

Edit: Granted there are risks involved, getting left behind, pay your own if injured, etc. but an individual would have to assess the risk they willing to accept.  

Edited by wdwkings

I can’t say if Royal has anything to do with restrictions or not.  But if you can get off the ship and do the same type of excursion without that restriction, then it would appear that possibly they do.

I do know that on Odyssey last year they had a scale at the entrance to the North Star that everyone had to get on before they were allowed access as they had a weight limit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jwlane said:
"noun
  1. 1.
    the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people"

One can assume the vendors have adequate justification for their decisions.

True but they are making a decision that may not be warranted.There is a State Senator in the area where I reside who is in his 70’s.He does Triathlons .While there are people in their 30’s who are barely able to walk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

in his 70’s.He does Triathlons

Underwriting standards are not determined by the outliers--- I'm in the same boat.  69 y.o. Boston marathon qualifier within the past couple of years, and fully expect to be aged out of a desired excursion in the future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Underwriting standards are not determined by the outliers--- I'm in the same boat.  69 y.o. Boston marathon qualifier within the past couple of years, and fully expect to be aged out of a desired excursion in the future.

You can choose to accept something or “fight” to make a changeThis applies to everything in life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Discrimination is one of those words that many people automatically associate with an illegal act.  It's like homicide, not all homicides are illegal.  

The profession of Human Resources is one that finds ways to legally discriminate.  It happens all the time.  The execution of a criminal is homicide, but legal if state-sponsored.  

I, for one, am glad there are age restrictions on lots of things, like driving, drinking, and certain activities while on cruises.  Oh, I'm 72, well I will be in 20 days, if I'm told that it isn't safe for someone over XX years of age, I move on. However, I feel I'm in good enough shape to do just about anything that I've seen on an excursion.  But, it doesn't matter what I think, it's their ball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is discrimination .

It is a form or discrimination, generally justified under the “safety” umbrella.

It’s a foundational prudent business practice to, among other things, properly insure yourself and your business.  If the vendors don’t have insurance coverage over a certain group, they can’t be forced to operate without needed protection.

Isn’t it discriminatory to say a child has to be a certain height to enjoy certain rides at a fair?  Or is discrimination trumped by safety concerns?

Isn’t it discriminatory to require seniors to take a current driving test to  renew a drivers license?  Safety again.

Insurance coverages are generated by massive risk calculators.  For an insurance policy to not cover groups or strata means previous claims numbers have caused it.

Now if it were do to vendors saying, “the old farts move too slowly when loading and unloading, so I don’t want them on my vehicle,” that would be a purer discrimination.  But I doubt that in these cases as the more people herded in the more money they make.

Eddie

• Like 2