Using the corridor outside your room for stroller storage

I really do try to avoid posting anything negative, but why was it permitted for the occupants of a nearby cabin to keep their child's stroller in the hallway? I know the cabins are cramped, but this was a balcony cabin and they could have folded the thing up and stuck it out there when not in use. Their cabin was one of the first ones off the elevator lobby, so everyone in that hallway had to negotiate around it for the entire sailing. I hope nobody farther down was in a wheelchair or a scooter.

I was under the impression that due to a possible emergency, all items of a personal nature needed to be stored in your cabin.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

I really do try to avoid posting anything negative, but why was it permitted for the occupants of a nearby cabin to keep their child's stroller in the hallway? I know the cabins are cramped, but this was a balcony cabin and they could have folded the thing up and stuck it out there when not in use. Their cabin was one of the first ones off the elevator lobby, so everyone in that hallway had to negotiate around it for the entire sailing. I hope nobody farther down was in a wheelchair or a scooter.

I was under the impression that due to a possible emergency, all items of a personal nature needed to be stored in your cabin.

On our cruise last month, saw people leaving walkers and electric scooters kept in hallway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You really shouldn't be storing anything in the hallway, though scooters obviously get a pass.

Why do scooters get an "obvious" pass...I have seen folks ride them into the room...The hallways are supposed to be kept clear...

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You really shouldn't be storing anything in the hallway, though scooters obviously get a pass.

No they do not. It's a fire hazard (escape route, etc).  Stateroom attendants are supposed to store them elsewhere

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, emeraldcity said:

Agree. It's a safety hazard.

On our most recent cruise, someone placed their tray full of dirty plates, utensils, glasses, and leftover food outside the hallway, next to our cabin door. (I nearly tripped on it)

The second time it happened, I called guest services and asked if they can look at the ship's video and find out who's placing the tray next to our cabin door. Her response was basically "We don't have time to do that".

So I politely said "What if I had tripped on it and hit my head on the wall...would you then have time to look at it? I then told her I'm visually impaired.

* Thankfully, no more trays after that.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I have three kids.  We've taken them on a Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg, to Norway and the Panama Canal and on a few other cruises.  We have never left a stroller in the hallway - we bring a folding stroller with us and leave it in the cabin.  These people are really stupid, not the least of which is that if anyone accidentally or on purpose damages their stroller (i.e. it gets run over by a scooter) they aren't going to be able to transport their kids around.  Also, people with strollers should know better than anyone how frustrating it is to have stuff in the hallways.  When I would go with the stroller, I'd scout the hallways first since if there was a room service cart out I'd need to use a different path to the elevator.   I don't approve of people putting motorized scooters outside of the room, but can understand that a lot more than a stroller which can fold up and doesn't take up much room.  A folded stroller can go in the closet.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 8

Thank you for your responses. I was hesitant to post anything about it because I was sure I'd be told to "get over it" and be advised I needed to be more sensitive to the needs of the young family trying to work with a cramped cabin. If I run into the situation again, I will call guest services. 

I just kept trying to picture whether or not a scooter or wheelchair could get by that thing and I thought someone would say something if it was a problem. But I suppose I was that someone who should have said something.

• Like 4

Saw this on our NYE cruise last year, it was like an obstacle course and I'm not even being dramatic. I always thought it would be a fire hazard as well but for the entirety of the cruise, the hallways of Deck 11 looked like a stroller store.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

A little off topic but is it even possible for two scooters to pass in the hall? 

Maybe in an alcove area?  They must be able to get by housekeeping carts, or do they have to be moved as well for a scooter to pass?

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe in an alcove area?  They must be able to get by housekeeping carts, or do they have to be moved as well for a scooter to pass?

Yea. I think it’s ok with the cart because they are quite narrow. I’ve often passed scooters outside of cabin doors and wondered what happened if another scooter needs to get by …. and it didn’t look like it would fit. 

As someone often pushing a wheelchair down the hallway, scooters, strollers and room service trays are not my friends. Even the housekeeping carts can be a challenge depending on where in the hallway they are and whether there are towels, etc. hanging off the sides. 

Most times any of these result in a Stop. Stand. Fold. Walk. Stop. Unfold. Sit. Resume. sequence of events. 

No way two scooters or wheelchairs can fit. At least with the wheelchair, I can fold it up and let the traffic pass. The only hallways I have seen where two can pass side by side is the Crown Loft deck 17 hallways. For me, they are a thing of beauty. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

on our last couple of cruises we noticed they had carts that fit in the doorway of the cabin, so  they weren’t blocking the hall at all. I thought that’s a great idea because it would also keep others from walking in the room and potentially taking things that passengers left out.

• Like 6

We had an extra wide larger rolling chair, not a wheelchair parked in front of a room right off the entrance to the hall from the elevator. It was always there.  Imagine my surprise when I saw a lady 3 doors away walk to it and go off in it.  It wasn't even parked in front of her own room. I thought maybe they were travelling together but they were not.

10 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

On our most recent cruise, someone placed their tray full of dirty plates, utensils, glasses, and leftover food outside the hallway, next to our cabin door. (I nearly tripped on it)

This is an epidemic now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed. There were trays on the floor throughout the entire length of the cabin corridors on the Allure this past summer. 

• Like 5

We sail on average 2 weeks a month. I am a new scooter/electric wheelchair user. Under no circumstances can any of these vehicles be stored overnight in a hallway. They will be removed to deck 2 and looked after by security. You do occasionally see one parked outside a room (but only until the attendant sees them).

This is a new affliction with me, and I will admit it takes a bit of practice to get proficient enough to make the turn into the room. As with anything practice and paticence is the key...

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is an epidemic now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed. There were trays on the floor throughout the entire length of the cabin corridors on the Allure this past summer. 

It's a dining service issue. Your cabin attendant has very little room on the cart.