Warning: On Emerald now and told Princess app does not work on android cell phones

satxdiver

On the Emerald now and went down to the IT "grurus" and they told me that the Princess app works on iphones but no android which I have.  After fooling around on my androids their final answer is that there are "bugs' yet to be worked out on androids since it was written for iphones!  So if you have an android forget using the princess on ship app!!  My Carnival and RCL apps work just fine but not the Princess app.  Maybe it is time to fire their app team and hire a Carnival team!

BTW I am getting 2.6 MB down and 0.9 up.  What happened to to starlink?  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

On the Emerald now and went down to the IT "grurus" and they told me that the Princess app works on iphones but no android which I have.  After fooling around on my androids their final answer is that there are "bugs' yet to be worked out on androids since it was written for iphones!  So if you have an android forget using the princess on ship app!!  My Carnival and RCL apps work just fine but not the Princess app.  Maybe it is time to fire their app team and hire a Carnival team!

BTW I am getting 2.6 MB down and 0.9 up.  What happened to to starlink?  

App has worked on my Android phones since it began as a series of 6 apps, all the way through the update today.. works like a champ.

If it didn't work on Android, they'd be cutting off more than half the world, lol. 

There's some other issue. Not just that you're using an android. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Time to buy Apple...and I have stock.  In all seriousness, I am so sorry to hear of this new monster problem.  I can't imagine that the app would not work on an Android after all these years.  Are they charging you for picking up the phone to make Medallion App orders?

Assistant Food and Beverage officer came back with a definitive answer.  He said that the $5 charge was a delivery charge if using the phone to place your order.

That's a total crock.  Our Princess app worked on my DH's Android (Google) with zero problems for 14 days on the Discovery in 2022 and 14 days on the Majestic in 2023.  Not expecting any problems during our 28 days booked during 2024 between 14 on the Enchanted and 14 on the Sun.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Check out the most recent posts in the sticky at top of this forum for the Ocean (now Princess) Medallion App.  Apparently, the most recent version has some bug issues for many, if not all, Android users.  Supposedly, being worked on and may be updated by Monday.  The App has always been "working" on Android platforms. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm also on Emerald now. App works fine on both of our Android phones, one of which took an app update today, and the other did not.

I think what your guru meant is "I don't know anything about Android, and I feel superior with my iPhone, so please don't ask me to help you"

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Check out the most recent posts in the sticky at top of this forum for the Ocean (now Princess) Medallion App.  Apparently, the most recent version has some bug issues for many, if not all, Android users.  Supposedly, being worked on and may be updated by Monday.  The App has always been "working" on Android platforms. 

New update is working just fine in my Android phone.. package isn't showing up for whatever reason, but I figure that'll come back in a day or two - and as the travel summary is correct, I don't really care if the app shows package off ship or not.

And, sailing next week.  

• Thanks 2

I also cruise in 6 days.  The update does not work on either my Samsung A52 5G nor my S6 Lite tablet.  Both are running Android 13.  Also my Plus package isn't showing on my account.  For the voice prompts it sounds 4 or 5 x normal speed.  Too funny, though the fact that PCL can't put out a workable app for Android devices is sad.

• Like 2

Works like a dream on my Samsung Z Fold5 and Hubby's Samsung Z Flip5, almost like it was made for Android. :classic_love:Boarding Majestic day after tomorrow in Sydney Australia, fair dinkum. 

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 2

My Galaxy S20 was knocked out of working with the app until I discovered one small change that the update did. Check your systems settings for a "Link to Windows" and see if the update left it in the "on" mode. If so, switch it back to "off" position and it solved the problem, at least at home.

Whether this will work on the ship or not is something I'll have to find out after I board next cruise. 

• Like 2

Leave in a little over a week, board in 17 days, and noticed 1 really nice feature. I can now track medallion shipping status within app on my Samsung S9. Loads fast. 

Correction: another new feature, print luggage tags, loads VERY slowly!! Thats the only feature on the updated app that android seems to have an issue with this morning

Edited by Ombud

Ever hear the expression, "Consider the source."

I wouldn't consider the ship's tech a gruru. [sic]

Have used Android just fine on three cruises since restart, including the Emerald in August.

2.6 mb is good for satellite! Were you expecting service like at home?

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm running the latest version on my Android 10 Galaxy S9+. The app works fine (or as fine as this app could be) but it does come with a horrifying new bug, text to speech functionality turned on by default. A loud voice speaks the name of highlighted on-screen buttons which happen to be highlighted.  Things like "BUTTON TAP.  BUTTON TAP TO SELECT"  "PRINCESS LOGO"  etc etc etc. Per the stickied thread above, it's a known issue being worked on.

And as other have posted, we have used the app on and off ship on our Android phones many times, as recently as a few weeks ago on the Discovery.  No issues

Edited by lx200gps
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Ever hear the expression, "Consider the source."

I wouldn't consider the ship's tech a gruru. [sic]

Have used Android just fine on three cruises since restart, including the Emerald in August.

2.6 mb is good for satellite! Were you expecting service like at home?

I suspect the OP has unrealistic expectations. That is pretty much the same speed we had on all our  Starlink-equipped cruises, including on the Discovery a few weeks ago. Perfectly fine for basic operations, and many people report being able to stream, video call etc. Yes, it's not a great speed, but more than good enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I suspect the OP has unrealistic expectations. That is pretty much the same speed we had on all our  Starlink-equipped cruises, including on the Discovery a few weeks ago. Perfectly fine for basic operations, and many people report being able to stream, video call etc. Yes, it's not a great speed, but more than good enough.

It's certainly a lot better than pre-Starlink!

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Leave in a little over a week, board in 17 days, and noticed 1 really nice feature. I can now track medallion shipping status within app on my Samsung S9. Loads fast. 

Correction: another new feature, print luggage tags, loads VERY slowly!! Thats the only feature on the updated app that android seems to have an issue with this morning

All issues resolved on Android version 11.0.09.0