Thursday November 16th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

We’re at our new home!  All papers are signed. They have a guest suite for us tonight! Yay, we can leave the air bed and sleeping bags in the car tonight. 

The apartment looks lovely but there are a couple of things that will need tweaking. We have reservations for dinner at 5:30!  I’m ready. Unloaded most of the car into new apartment, overnight bag in the guest suite. Tomorrow the moving van will be here early. And grandkids!  It’s all happening! 🌈. Thanks for following along with us.

Later, m—

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We’re at our new home!  All papers are signed. They have a guest suite for us tonight! Yay, we can leave the air bed and sleeping bags in the car tonight. 

The apartment looks lovely but there are a couple of things that will need tweaking. We have reservations for dinner at 5:30!  I’m ready. Unloaded most of the car into new apartment, overnight bag in the guest suite. Tomorrow the moving van will be here early. And grandkids!  It’s all happening! 🌈. Thanks for following along with us.

Later, m—

Excellent news.

Delighted for you both.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Later, m—

YIPPEE 🙂.  And a guest suite for you tonight too!!!  Perfect!!!

Enjoy dinner and get a good night’s sleep.  So happy all is settled for you 👍 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  It warmed up enough and dried up enough that I got the outside compartments loaded with one exception.  Tomorrow, I'll load the Dr. Peppers and the wine.  Wine is cheaper in California, which is about 20 miles away, but I don't want to risk the white wine going bad.  Talk about making a grown woman cry.  Then, all that's left is the stuff from the house and the food.  With luck, we should be on the road sometime Saturday morning.  🤞

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Hope I can get this done while Pat showers and then he'll be calling me for his "treatment" and I'll have to run.  We had a good cruise, Pat mainly slept and I read, and we could easily have done that at home, so why go?  Maybe cancel for the future.  The medical centre was very good and helpful on the ship.  Pat has come back with a cough but I think it's the remnants of the cold we both had before we went on the cruise, so I can't blame anyone but ourselves..   if it doesn't go away in a few days, I'll insist on a visit to the doctor.  

Sorry I haven't been around more.  The internet was spotty on the ship, as Captain van Eerten said he was taking a more circuitous route to avoid the storm.  One day it was a millpond, hard to imagine what was going on further north!  But it was pouring in FLL yesterday, we both got wet running for a taxi, at least I had a change in my carry-on, Pat just put on his cardigan.   The flights yesterday, and airports, were awful.   I don't want to do them again.  Actually Newark was the best, the wheelchair assistance worked out the best, but the flight to Vancouver left an hour late, premium economy was very uncomfortable, and I thought we were going to miss our connection to Victoria, fortunately that was delayed too, as the transportation in the airport was dreadful;  someone helped us to Customs, then we were on our own so quite a hike to domestic, and the absolutely furthest gate in the whole airport. We got home just before midnight, and I think I was in bed, sound asleep by 12:15!   Then awake at 2:30.... 

Today is laundry day, confirming appointments now that we're back, and just recovering from yesterday.  I certainly sympathize with Vanessa!  Pat is so fed up with me not being able to walk with him (the speed walker!)  I just have to try to get something done about my hip, or whatever it is.  

Thinking of you all - happy to see those back from their travels,  Annie, I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it, and I hope you recover quickly.   Jacqui, that's a lovely site for Jose's bursary.  He'd be proud of you.  

Ann, I'm sorry your flights home were not that great.  We learned on our last cruises on Koningsdam that being on a ship, even if you just read and rest, is better than sitting around at home.  I hope you can get some help with you hip so you can walk with Pat.

4 hours ago, 57redbird said:

@JazzyV & @dfish   Since you 2 & I are suffering from pain & nothing's helping,(PT, pain patches, etc.) I've discovered 2 Extra Strength Tylenol every 8 hours is keeping my pain under control...better than Mobic & Tramadol.---- give it a try.   And I managed to get an appointment next Wednesday with the Neurosurgeon that did my hubby's cervical neck fusion.....YAY!!!

I hope the appointment Wednesday gives you some answers and a plan to relief your pain.  When DH was having so much pain from the sciatica, he found the Arthritis Strength Tylenol help,  It is 650 mg as opposed the the extra strength which is 500 mg.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Beautifully done!  This is such a lovely tribute to your dear Jose.  

Scholarships and bursaries are so important.  My DS has been fortunate to receive some to help with his Master’s degree,  so proud he received the Chancellor’s scholarship this year.  

@StLouisCruisersWe have been very pleased with Stefano’s Rome cabs over the years.  They do book up early though! 

IMG_3247.jpeg

Brenda, congratulations to your DS on getting the Chancellor’s scholarship.  Beautiful sunset picture.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I got home around 8:15 p.m. yesterday. I had a rain jacket in an outside pocket of my luggage and put it on before leaving the cruise terminal, but the effect was like a steam bath. I was glad to be leaving at noon, because it looked as if the FLL airport might flood before the evening (this has happened), but from the news today I guess that it didn't. I'm on record as disliking the Delta-Air Canada-Westjet terminal at FLL, but it has been improved since the last time I was there. The flight to ATL had a lot of turbulence and there was no cabin service except one quick pass with water. ATL was, well, ATL, but the flight to ROC had an empty seat next to me and no turbulence to speak of. Frederick Douglass International (ROC), in contrast, is one of the nicest airports in the country, provided that you want to fly to an airline hub.

Paul, I'm glad you made it home safely even if one flight was rough.

54 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Later, m—

Maureen, congratulations on getting everything signed for your new home.  That is great news about the guest suite.  I hope tomorrow goes smoothly, and it's great you will have some help.

Time to start dinner.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good evening. Surprisingly, the NP called me this afternoon before I had a chance to call her. We discussed some things, but I don't want to go off the Gabapentin to start something else that will take weeks to kick in. I'm going to up my dose a little. I said no to a Medrol dosepak after bad side effects from it in the past. So not much to do. I appreciate the concern about stairs. I have to go up and down once a day, as the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. I avoid the basement lately, unless for laundry or to get something from the freezer or overflow food supply. I tried to nap, but the leg pain that came on from being in the recliner wouldn't let me.

@kazu Thanks for sharing the bursary page. What a lovely tribute to Jose.

@Mtn2Sea Interesting photos.

@marshhawk I hope DH's doctor can see you tomorrow. Your cutback in cigarettes is paving the way for quitting.

@Vict0riann The hassle in the airports has made getting to cruise ports quite the trial. My one next year is from Boston, so BFF wants to drive. I hope you get whatever's interfering with your walking diagnosed and treated.

@57redbird Thanks for the recommendation, but I can't take that much Tylenol (inc. LFT's). I'm glad you got that appointment.

@ottahand7 Wow on those scholarships not being acted on by students.

@grapau27 Thank you Graham.

@kochleffel Good to hear you made it home safely.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you made it there safely. And how nice they have a guest suite, so you're not on air mattresses tonight. I hope all goes smoothly tomorrow.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Scholarships and bursaries are so important.  My DS has been fortunate to receive some to help with his Master’s degree,  so proud he received the Chancellor’s scholarship this year.  

You have every right to be proud 👍. Congratulations to your DS’ accomplishment 👏 👏 👏 

(sorry I lost your post in my multi quote - unsure why)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the Daily.  @richwmn  Rich, it doesn't seem that long ago,  it was a pleasure meeting with you. Unfortunately we will not be here when you arrive on the Volendam, otherwise we could have  arranged to meet again.  Noordam is calling us!!  

It's a very wet windy day, such a shame for the cruise ship passengers in port today.

@kazu  thank you for the link to the bursary page.  Was it Jose's  wish to set up the bursary?  It's a  wonderful thing to do.  

@Vict0riann  sorry to read of your walking problem, hope that you will soon get a diagnosis and treatment can begin.

@RMLincoln  pleased that you have arrived at your new home, good luck with the unpacking and decisions of what to place where!

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@kazu  thank you for the link to the bursary page.  Was it Jose's  wish to set up the bursary?  It's a  wonderful thing to do.  

Thank you.  Jose’s demise was too sudden to know what his wish was (his death was not expected) …but…. He was mentoring a nurse he worked with even in his retirement to become a Nurse Practitioner.  She is due to graduate in 2025.  I gifted her all of Jose’s medical equipment - I couldn’t think of a better person to give it to and she had nothing yet and medical equipment is very expensive and Jose’s was extensive (of course 😉)

I knew what he believed and it is my hope I have emulated his wishes.  It just seemed like the right thing to do and I felt in my heart he would approve.

• Like 29

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thank you.  Jose’s demise was too sudden to know what his wish was (his death was not expected) …but…. He was mentoring a nurse he worked with even in his retirement to become a Nurse Practitioner.  She is due to graduate in 2025.  I gifted her all of Jose’s medical equipment - I couldn’t think of a better person to give it to and she had nothing yet and medical equipment is very expensive and Jose’s was extensive (of course 😉)

I knew what he believed and it is my hope I have emulated his wishes.  It just seemed like the right thing to do and I felt in my heart he would approve.

I think it’s a wonderful tribute, I’m sure he looks on with pride.  I get tears just reading this! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Rich, it doesn't seem that long ago,  it was a pleasure meeting with you. Unfortunately we will not be here when you arrive on the Volendam, otherwise we could have  arranged to meet again.  Noordam is calling us!! 

I agree that it doesn't seem that long ago. I'm sorry that we will not get to visit again, but understand that Noordam is calling. I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise

• Like 13

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Later, m—

Good to hear. Enjoy your new home. Bruce

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Later, m—

Sleep well you two! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good evening to all from a very wet Titusville, Florida.

To those who don’t know where it is, it is near Cape Canaveral.

We had heavy rain for most of the trip down.  

Instead of leaving at 9 am as planned, we never got out of the house until 10:30 am.  

We arrived here at 3:30 pm.  Only stopped in Jacksonville to pick up our wine at Total Wine.  No Lunch.

We are safe, but tired.  Went to dinner.

Now we are in our hotel room and I wanted to post prior to reading the last three days’ threads.

I hope everyone is good.

Prayers for all.

Tomorrow promises for more rain.  

We will probably leave here about 11 am for our drive to Miami, which should take about 3 hours.

Prayers for all.

Now to the business of reading all those posts.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 22

Well the appointment with the pain doc was unproductive to say the least. He could only offer an epidural steroid shot (lateral approach) that he said might not help my problems - plural. He was glad I have an appointment with a spine surgeon and deferred to his advice. Though, just in case the surgeon wanted me to try a shot first I do have an appointment to do that before my Christmas/ NY cruise (after I get back from my Hawaii cruise) and after the surgeon appt. The new procedure I was hoping would be an option isn’t because of where the main problem is L5-S1.  I am more than disappointed but not much I can do. I have gone down this road before - 2 previous back surgeries and one was an emergency. This time is similar to the time it was an emergency but much slower going. If surgery is in the cards I just don’t know when to squeeze it in!!!    I’m thinking very early January so I will have it done six weeks before my Amazon cruise. Or after. I just don’t know. “I’ll think about it tomorrow!”  LOL!

Edited by Nickelpenny
Correct wording
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Well the appointment with the pain doc was unproductive to say the least. He could only offer an epidural steroid shot (lateral approach) that he said might not help my problems - plural. He was glad I have an appointment with a spine surgeon and deferred to his advice. Though, just in case the surgeon wanted me to try a shot first I do have an appointment to do that before my Christmas/ NY cruise (after I get back from my Hawaii cruise) and after the surgeon appt. The new procedure I was hoping would be an option isn’t because of where the main problem is L5-S1.  I am more than disappointed but not much I can do. I have gone down this road before - 2 previous back surgeries and one was an emergency. This time is similar to the time it was an emergency but much slower going. If surgery is in the cards I just don’t know when to squeeze it in!!!    I’m thinking very early January so I will have it done six weeks before my Amazon cruise. Or after. I just don’t know. “I’ll think about it tomorrow!”  LOL!

I'm sorry your appointment provided no answers...hopefully we'll both get some good advice from the surgeons we're seeing.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thank you for your reply.  The student would be very thankful to be given the equipment.

Am sure that  Jose would approve and be very proud.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

That’s disappointing 😔. Hopefully the surgeon has a solution that will solve your spine problems permanently 🙏 

• Like 7