These cruise prices are insanely high!!

P.A.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, teacherman said:

All of these high prices are a true picture of how "bad" the current economy is.  Not everyone can afford to take a cruise or go to a concert or pro sports event.  But most of these have very little trouble selling out.  So, it would appear that millions of people find a way to pay for these "luxuries".  Everyone has to decide if these things are "worth it".  Is there something else that is more beneficial to you that you could spend the money on?  Individual decision making is what it is all about.

Last time the economy was actually bad, cruise fares were cheap, and most ships didn’t sail full. Quite the opposite of what is happening now. 

in addition to that, at least for RCI, the number of cabins has gone up 50% (so actual people sailing is more than that). 

More people are sailing, more ships are sailing, and people are all paying more money. I really don’t see the economy as being bad right now. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

Not following your first point.  As I showed examples of things that went up in price and had negative cut backs. 

As for the 2nd, I guess that explains why Best Buy will no longer sell DVDs or Blu Ray starting this winter. 

Also because you don't want to stream doesn't mean the majority of people are not doing so. 

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/best-buy-ending-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sales-1235754919/

I don’t care what other people do. If I’m the only one in the world that uses Blu Ray players, I’m fine with that. Check Best Buy’s financials and reviews, based on that, I would take their decision with a grain of salt. Best Buy is the last place I would spend my money.

I make my decisions based on my wants and needs, mostly by my previous experiences not what I read or hear. The last thing I would ever do is go an an open forum and ask for opinions, on anything from perfect strangers. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The last thing I would ever do is go an an open forum and ask for opinions, on anything from perfect strangers. 

Lol I think that. Like a thread asking how much should I tip. If you reached adulthood and havent decided yet for yourself, hard for me to understand why ask here. 

Next thing we know maybe we can get some movers and influencers on here to sway opinions. I do what I want, ,, I'm old,

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I don’t care what other people do. If I’m the only one in the world that uses Blu Ray players, I’m fine with that. Check Best Buy’s financials and reviews, based on that, I would take their decision with a grain of salt. Best Buy is the last place I would spend my money.

I make my decisions based on my wants and needs, mostly by my previous experiences not what I read or hear. The last thing I would ever do is go an an open forum and ask for opinions, on anything from perfect strangers. 

You are entertaining.  You stated Blu Ray players went down in price as an example of goods that went down in price.  I provided reasons why the player went down in price, not advocating that you should do xyz.  But you do you.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Have any of you gone out to eat these days??????

Dinner for 2 will be over $100.  Heck, Chik-Fil-A today was $17 for ONE PERSON.

So true!  I took my 3 GK for lunch last week at Chick-fil-A and I couldn’t believe the cost.  Sticker shock for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Chick-Fil-A in mid October:  4 Chick-Fil-A sandwich combos = $36.76

Wendy's tonight:  2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers, 1 large fry, 1 jr frosty, 1 small frosty = $5.49 including tax.

• Like 1

My wife and I eat very little fast food. She gets lots of Chick-Fil-A gift cards as gifts from students (Kindergarten teacher). Every time we use them we make similar comments. Fast food just isn't very cheap for what you get, IMO.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SRF said:

We rarely go out anymore unless it’s special occasions or to eat with friends. We’ve decided it’s just not worth the cost.  

• Like 5

On 12/18/2023 at 1:08 PM, exm said:

My family also booked a MSC cruise for about 50% less compared to Wonder.

MSC is the one cruise line that is holding the line on price increases, especially on newer ships. In fact, I am often able to book a suite on MSC for less than it would cost to book an inside stateroom on a RCCL ship that is the same age as the MSC ship (as long as the suite is not part of the Yacht Club). Of course, food and service on MSC is not quite up to food and service on RCCL and some items that are included on RCCL (like soft ice cream or some other snacks) cost extra or are not available on MSC. Nevertheless, in my experience, the difference is also not nearly as great as great as some reviewers make it out to be and MSC's ships and private island Ocean Cay are beautiful. Moreover, MSC prices often include their "Easy Plus" drink package in the price of the cruise, which represents an additional large saving. It makes MSC a marvelous option for family cruises. I still cruise on Royal when cruising with adult guests only but, when I cruise with my grandchildren, it is MSC.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 4

I booked a cruise for May 2024 this past June. Right now the price for the same room is over $4000 more! But, like someone said, if people keep booking at these prices Royal won't come down. Personally, I think way overpriced. Glad I booked when I did! On a high note, beverage package came way down, so I canceled and reserved at the current price.

Marg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SRF said:

Costco has a whole Rotisserie Chicken for $4.99. That would certainly feed more than ONE PERSON. 

• Like 4

We rarely eat out these days either...I always cook since we are pretty strict about Keto and eating meat.  No processed food.  We did eat burgers at Chili's the other day, first time in months and it just about broke us!  LOL  Taco Bell is the only place you can still eat cheap and we just wouldn't be interested in that any more.  In fact, I can't wait until next cruise...what a treat!

Alas, no Costco or Sam's for about 100 miles  😭

The cost of living in paradise!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asctony said:

Free refills on soda. Then when you get ready to leave, have another fill-up for home. Now you cannot beat that. 

We just spent 41 days on the Symphony...not once did we eat a hotdog onboard.

We get home...what's the first thing we eat?...yup, Costco hotdog and soda!  Just crazy!

* Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the wonderful members of Cruise Critic.:classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, actuarian said:

MSC is the one cruise line that is holding the line on price increases, especially on newer ships. In fact, I am often able to book a suite on MSC for less than it would cost to book an inside stateroom on a RCCL ship that is the same age as the MSC ship (as long as the suite is not part of the Yacht Club). Of course, food and service on MSC is not quite up to food and service on RCCL and some items that are included on RCCL (like soft ice cream or some other snacks) cost extra or are not available on MSC. Nevertheless, in my experience, the difference is also not nearly as great as great as some reviewers make it out to be and MSC's ships and private island Ocean Cay are beautiful. Moreover, MSC prices often include their "Easy Plus" drink package in the price of the cruise, which represents an additional large saving. It makes MSC a marvelous option for family cruises. I still cruise on Royal when cruising with adult guests only but, when I cruise with my grandchildren, it is MSC.

We book suites and MSc yacht club is a total bargain compared to celebrity and rccl with nicer suite lounge, better butler service and way cheaper.

• Like 1