The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, December 24th, 2023

kazu

@grapau27 Sarah is beautiful.  She looks like Pauline.

@kazu Love the recipe but I don't like tequila.  Maybe I should try it with wine. 😉

@cunnorl I'd love to see the Surfing Santas.  Please post some pictures if you can.

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  46 degrees ....partly sunny?  The sun is not really up over the hill, and the sky is that non descript color of early morning gray.  I have no idea if its clouds or lack of sunshine.  I should know in about 20 minutes.

@grapau27Thank you for the message this morning.  Interesting information, and a lesson learned. Please tell Sarah to have a wonderful birthday, and a very Happy Christmas to you all!

I had an interesting find yesterday in the back yard.  I was cutting some greens to put on the table for the dinner last night, and I found a part of an animal skull in the backyard.  Actually it was the upper portion of a jaw, of a deer.  Teeth still intact, and no other part of the critter to be seen.  It was large, and I went back into the house and told DH what I had seen.  He thought I had lost my mind.  So he came out to see.  This find brought up lots of questions, where was the rest of the deer?  What was big enough to carry this part into our yard?  Probably something I dont want to see.  What could take down a deer in our suburban neighborhood?  

We had a very nice albeit high in carbs dinner last night.  After we ate we sat in the den and chatted, and our friend Debbie fell asleep.  While holding her cup of tea.  I woke her up.  I dont think she wanted to be woken by a cup of tea spilling all over her.  We talked about our cats, she is down to two, we are down to 3.  She usually has 3, and I think the way that Bobbagingee and Furnando were acting around her, they were applying for the job.  They usually run away from strangers, not these two.  Belly rubs, and skritches were what they wanted.  Because she always takes cats that are declawed, I would never let one of mine move in with her.

She left around 9, and DH and I watched our first Christmas movie of the season.  Love Actually.  I think this morning will be Holiday Inn and White Christmas.  We did have eggnog last night, so I got that out of the way.  I love good eggnog.  What we bought, wasnt that good.

image.png.ab34d7f11ecc693930475ed362493330.png

image.png.bdbe3bf90517f4c88ce50a1899951867.png

We are going out for Vietnamese food tonight, and we are taking our neighbor Donna.  She told me that this was a tough day for her, as it was her mom's birthday, and her mom passed several years ago. I didnt want her to be alone.  

image.png.1cfdf7479bdd0aab9256ee104c84a50c.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Happy Christmas Eve,

I am at my favorite breakfast place and I am the only one here. I am  getting excellent service!

Happy birthday to your niece Graham. Nieces are pretty special and mine have been a godsend to me. 

I plan on a lazy day and then to my DS for dinner and didn’t the night do I can see the kids Christmas morning. 

Everyone have a blessed day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. I would love to see surfing Santa’s!  Merry Christmas Eve to all.

We made four types of Swedish cookies yesterday and have the rest of the less extensive smorgasbord to prepare for tonight. It was so nice to smell all the familiar  Christmas smells in the house. I am so glad I came.

It is warmer today but below freezing and there are icy patches on the roads. It will be warmer later but it seems odd not to have any snow. 
Enjoy the family and friends getting together and  all the joys of the season.

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone!

We have a very foggy start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  I'm afraid it is going to be gloomy all day, but that is outside.  Inside will be warm and merry.  After I make the dressing/stuffing the agenda is clear.  My prep for tomorrow will be done.  Tomorrow I only have to stuff the bird and get it in the oven.  DB Jeff is on vegetable duty, DB Bill already dropped off his contribution of pickles and olives, DS Mary Jo is making cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie, DS Barb is bringing the sweet potatoes, Bob Evans made the mashed potatoes.  Tomorrow will be an easy day.

@grapau27 For your Sarah

HappyBirthday3.jpg.affafbf091287ab6fc33e5cbc835e3fd.jpg

We have another instant pot recipe today.  I don't have an instant pot, so I would just do this in the regular oven.  This one is seasoned nicely and sounds good.  https://natashaskitchen.com/instant-pot-whole-chicken/

instantpotwholechicken1.thumb.jpg.3547a9a63ff1e5720db25f2c302da4d4.jpg

The smoked paprika in this recipe gives the chicken that nice finish.   https://www.chewoutloud.com/instant-pot-whole-chicken/

instantpotwholechicken2.thumb.jpg.8af99cea19bcbb16bb54fcc6c68c8cc1.jpg

The apple cider in this recipe would give a nice flavor.  https://www.theroastedroot.net/instant-pot-whole-chicken/

instantpotwholechicken3.thumb.jpg.fe4eaad58b1a37884f5b687fafc881f4.jpg

Any of these would make a great Christmas dinner for a small gathering.  Who needs a big turkey for 2 people?  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

Before I read all the posts, I wanted to let everyone know that there are not links to previous posts of today's port, Darwin, Australia.  It is not for a lack of trying to find the links, especially since Sandi @StLouisCruisers gave me the dates yesterday.  However, when searching CC HAL forum, Rich's @richwmn and Sandi's posts, the posts that are found only go back to December of 2022 and in Rich's case, November 24, 2022.  I've used everything I can think of as search words both yesterday and this morning but without results.  Darwin was the port of the day on Monday, October 24, 2022, and Saturday, July 3, 2021.

Maybe someone else may have better luck.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Merry Christmas Eve to everyone, I’m pretty sure there’ll be eggnog happening here today.

We woke yesterday to snow covering everything which looked absolutely beautiful, but in Calgary it means one thing - icy roads.  We stayed off them until early afternoon to give the sanders a chance to spread something that the tires could grip.  We took care of the boys while their parents had a few hours to themselves, a lunch date.  We played dominos, Hot Wheels, Old Maid and Go Fish, then took them to McDonald’s for a lunchtime treat.  

Today is another relaxing one with lunch planned at a Korean restaurant not far from here.  Our oldest DGS loves going there as he helps cook at the table.   He’s already asked if he can make the family scrambled eggs on Christmas morning.  

Belated birthday greetings to @kochleffelfor yesterday; I hope you had an enjoyable day.

Happy Birthday to @grapau27’s niece, Sarah!

I’d love to try the drink of the day, will pass on the wine, and will tuck the menu suggestion away for another time.  Tonight for our Christmas Eve dinner I’m making lemon garlic shrimp pasta for the family that we’ll enjoy at their table.  And wine. 

Prayers to all with difficult circumstances, comfort to those who grieve, and cheers to everyone with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I would like some eggnog, preferably with brandy, but probably won't have any. I'll save Christmas Eve for later in the post.

I have an Instant Pot and will look at the recipes, but my favorite way of preparing a whole chicken is the poulet en cocotte bonne femme in Mastering the Art. No on the cocktail. For a Chardonnay, Fox Run Doyle Family 2021. I haven't been to Darwin, but for many years I organized Evolution Weekend celebrations; the weekend is the one nearest Darwin's birthday.

Dinner last night was sautéed salmon, baked potato dressed with the olive and fish oils from the pan, and broccoli, with a kosher Gewürztraminer from Alsace. And the important part: mincemeat pie, warmed, with lactose-free ice cream. My mother had rigidly conventional ideas about many things and forced layer cake on everyone, although my father always wanted peach pie instead.

@kazu Jacquie, I don't enjoy tequila. Do you think I could make the cake recipe with Irish whiskey?

There is a peculiar Jewish custom from eastern Europe for Christmas Eve, which is called Nittelnacht, natal night, in Yiddish. To avoid inadvertently (that's the peculiar part) studying Torah, people would play card games or chess all evening, typically in a dimly lighted room with the curtains closed so as not to attract the attention of roving bands of drunks.

GPSvoice.thumb.jpg.60ba718d2bef291cf8ec7dc8d949114a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Wishing everyone a Happy Holidays!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 21

Happy Christmas Eve!  Haven't been to the port, don't have an Insta Pot, but that chicken looks delish!   We do have some Egg Nog!  I might need to add some booze to it by the end of tomorrow!  @kazuI love your recipe!  @grapau27Please wish your Dear Sarah a happy birthday from me!  

We've had some foggy and dreary weather here or a few days, but the temps will be in the 50's today.  No white Christmas here, which is OK for me.  It may rain a bit, but that's better than the white stuff.  I just made a plate of cookies to take over to the grands, they need some for Santa.  They made some cookies, but ate them all already!  Dear granddaughter made a cake for today.  Can't wait to see and taste it! 

Thanks to all who share here, have a good day!  karen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a glitch noted on Rotterdam this morning. Looks like accounting didn't apply our HIA on this leg. Quick visit to FD and she said we should have it cleared today.

Watch your account when traveling for a period of time. Sometimes I forget what I bought at the shops, or the extras at dinner. I have had my 5th lobster dinner in all venues now except Rudi's (next week) and got double charged last night in PG for surf and turf.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4