The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 22nd, 2024

kazu

Today is Better Business Communication Day, Celebration of Life Day, and Community Manager Appreciation Day

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
Drink of the Day - Gibson
Wine of the Day - Ferrari-Carano 2019 Trésor Red (Sonoma County)
Destination of the Day - Ushuaia, Argentina

Today in History:
1689 Prince William of Orange (future King William III of Britain), summons Convention Parliament to discuss ruling jointly with his wife Mary (daughter of exiled King James II)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 01-23

Koningsdam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 10:00 - 18:00 

Oosterdam

Port Stanley, East Falkland Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 07:30 - 16:30 

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 15:00 

Zuiderdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 18:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Wellington, New Zealand 07:00 - 16:00 

Volendam

Lautoka, Fiji 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Laem Chabang, Bangkok, Thailand 07:00 -

• Like 27
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Ottahand7 with bronchitis 

RMLincoln safe travels to Maryland today

StLouisCruisers’ BIL with Covid, niece and twin improved

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

Tana with pulmonary issues

Atexsix’s Dear Dad now in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vmax1700’s DW feeling better

Seagarsmoker getting a new job!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Denise T’s good fasting blood sugar

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Tupper10 (Rotterdam Jan 26 to Feb 4) 9d Southern Caribbean

7 days for 0106 (Oosterdam Jan 29 to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 25

Good morning.  Happy Monday!  Thanks for the report.

Love the maps, thanks.

Not as cold here today, should get up to -1°C (30°F) this afternoon and a few flurries.

Three good days to celebrate.

Great quote from a great man.

The meal, or should I say, side dish, sounds terrific.  Looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'm sure the drink and wine will be wonderful too.

I've never been to today's port, but I love the pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  I hope it's the start of a good week.

Stay safe and warm.

• Like 36

It is 11:30pm on Volendam.

I know I haven't been posting here, but I do read the Daily each day and I appreciate everyone who is keeping it going while I am on this wonderful cruise.

With that, good night all!

Rich

• Like 39
  • Thanks 7

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda 

Cool morning heading up to 70 today

Good quote by MLK

Cauliflower and Broccoli aren’t my favorite veggies so I’ll pass on the meal

My Buccaneers couldn’t pull it off and are out of the playoffs

I wish the election was over, it’s only January and I’ve had enough politics already, 9 more months of this

Off to the golf course in a few minutes

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33

Gibson cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin or vodka
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
Garnish: cocktail onion

Steps
Add the gin (or vodka) and dry vermouth into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a cocktail onion.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 6.44.41 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I appreciate Community Managers, and wish for better communications from businesses, especially cruise lines.  I do hope that none of the dailyites will need a celebration of life in the near future.

Another great quote from Martin Luther.  An interesting day in British history. 

I've been to Ushuaia 4 times, boarding (and disembarking) Professor Multinovski in 1997, then Crystal Symphony in 2016, Zaandam in 2017, and Prinsendam in 2019.

I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche, Oaxaca-Chile Pineapple Glazed Ham and Chilean Apple Crumb Cake as served on MS Prinsendam January 22, 2019,

dishes22.jpg

A cold morning this morning but warmer weather is coming.  I see my regular Oncologist today and have my physical tomorrow.

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  It's 25F this morning and somewhat cloudy.  Today's high will be about 50 with some sun but mostly cloudy later on.  I hope the winds aren't as high as they were over the weekend.  Made for a wicked wind chill!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for the Fleet Report and Daily posting and to Roy @rafinmd for the fleet maps.  I can appreciate better business communication, celebrations of life and community managers.  Always a good quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.!  I feel we should add a protein to our meal if we only have roasted broccoli and cauliflower to eat.  No thanks to the drink and red wine (get out your decoder ring Ann 😅).  Must have been a very strange period in English history in 1689.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports this morning.

Prayers this morning for the Navy Seals finally declared dead after 10 days of searching for them and their families.  Also all in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the rest of our troops in the region.  Also for my twin and DB, friends Scott and Bob and their lovely wives.  Prayers were also said for the Daily members in need both on the Care list and those who are not.  Good luck today Roy at your oncologist appointment.  Hoping for peace and calming comfort for Bruno @atexsix and his DD David.  🙏  Cheers to our friends and family cruising and celebrating happy events today!  Oldest DGS Tyler is 26 today and I wish him the best!  Having three grandkids with January birthdays can keep a person busy and broke!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for getting up early to post the lists for us!  Hope you get some answers soon and a treatment to get you back to normal. 

The port of the day is Ushuaia, Argentina.  This was the port destination on Jan. 3, 2022 and June 29, 2023.  We were there three times and were supposed to be in 2012 but that was cancelled last second by the Argentinians after we visited Stanley, Falkland Islands days before.  This was during the 30th anniversary year of the conflict between Great Britain and Argentina over the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas).  Here are the links to the former dates for you.

Hope you all have a nice day!  Stay warm and keep safe!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  The temperatures are 16F this morning and I’m fine to stay inside today.  The meal suggestion would go well with tonight’s dinner.  I’m making butter chicken with a sauce I picked up at Aldi, it gets good reviews.  I’m hoping that today is a quiet work day so that I can catch up what got missed with last week’s project.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

On weekends Mona encourages me to lay in bed with her.  I suspect that’s why she wakes me up so early on weekends.

image.thumb.png.770ff966168243fc9c6e9dfb40bfde50.png

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from rough seas in the Caribbean heading towards Half Moon Cay.   Thanks for the Daily Reports, maps and cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for everyone needing them on our list.   Vanessa you can remove me from the care list.  I am pretty much back on the mend and ending my antibiotic today.  Now John is coughing.  

We were in Ushuia on January 29thlast year and toured the National Park.   It was lovely.  image.thumb.jpg.941f5db0e0f46fb8e946475ac7b3102f.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. Just getting up and around. Another sea day. Our Arabic themed Chef’s dinner was superb. We followed dinner with the evening show which was two soprano’s who did some great mostly operatic arias.
Have not read the Insider yet to see what’s on the agenda for today. It feels like the ship is riding a bit smoother this morning but definitely know we are on a ship at sea.

In need of coffee so will head up to Windows (Lido) and join early bird Sue.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Sue’s birthday as we sail at 15 knots toward Easter Island.

Jacqui thanks for getting the Daily started. Enjoy the day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.2843e549f6dc27ef0afa3c0968f6d952.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6ffc353452024e2c3ae3fa17fe28e6d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb8fe035dabea7402410339f92dd984d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d5083aac867ed77f468ec43538d249dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5986c232e11fe7ff234eee6eda2a207b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cee46cfb8b0476d5a2ac5f867ce2a607.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.270ab5ce678f807a3773428b77269921.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.86ec02763d3737b81a2fc0a7c6b2c1d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.24fab0b67a10acae07060e51644c6559.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2ca055819e460209623c02e619f71ec9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b59201739753652a23e07f6d8da7a27.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

In 2012 the Star Princess was denied entry to Ushuaia because of politics, explained earlier, and the second time was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Steve were onboard with us but I didn't know her at the time.  It was a bit damp in Ushuaia that morning as all the streets on my photos are wet.

The next stop there was Dec. 26, 2016 while on Seabourn Quest.  Here is my favorite picture that day.  DH and I walked into the visitor center, which had automatic door openers on them.  The doors were open a lot since everybody wanted maps and info.  One of the stray dogs in town walked in, circled the room and laid down right in front of DH.  He actually laid his body on DH's foot!  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJN1bObDTrFgOSUmOAAJb_i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484521121

Here's the staff busy with visitors.  No one really noticed this pup taking a nap in there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcmULdQd3jCowyo1yYLUDu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527378

A few of that dog's friends heading towards the visitor center for a nap.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOA5SCX8jKNqJT2EMSff22?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042230

There are a lot of interesting buildings in Ushuaia.  Many types of architecture.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Everybody who walks the streets there sees this wall mural and has to take a photo of it.

I always like to go by this building and then go into the great souvenir store nearby.

Just outside the back door of the souvenir shop is this terrific garden.

Shortly after the Quest arrived, a Princess ship docked across from us.  Here's the view from the garden before we headed back.

I can't believe the difference in size between the two ships! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKhkkmZ7Xc2KzNmtLnat1qC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042273

Quest was such a cozy little ship.🥰 

Our final visit to Ushuaia was on Coral Princess in January 2020 on an Antarctica cruise.  That was the final cruise for us before Covid hit.  It would be 28 months before we were back to cruising but unfortunately we caught Covid on that 2022 cruise.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for taking care of our maps. Boy, after two days of a brutal wind, this morning’s early walk with Bindi was a pleasure. The fact that it was 45 when we headed out certainly helped. 

IMG_2428.jpeg.c0c6e845d5a84b73c2bacfdf4e9030f2.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our lists. A never ending task. I really appreciate your taking this on. Praying that you find a path to permanent pain relief soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores. Just an average Monday.

IMG_2449.jpeg.34dfc71b6d6321cc38c6cc2bf9c75026.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg.719e3ac16634dc4a2788ee415309208a.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg.7c7a5db2ea1927de0f1329b412ad231a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those dealing with pain, debilitating conditions, grieving the loss of a loved one, the caregivers and those in a funk. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Ferrari-Carano 2019 Trésor Red (Sonoma County)

After dusting off my trusty decoder ring, I discovered that this red blend has quite a few fans and is a bit pricey. I found several online distributors with most offering it outside my budget. I found one online distributor offering it for $44.95 - just barely inside my budget. Would love a taste, though. 
Winemaker Notes

The 2019Trésor is soft and elegant.Aromas of wild berries,cola and caramel lead to silky plum, mocha and vanilla flavors. Notes of cedar and black cassis glide across the palate in a long and expressive finish. 

Trésor complements lamb and beef that is roasted or braised. Pair with beef stew, filet mignon, a maple bacon cheeseburger, grilled flank or sirloin steak.Try Trésor with strong-flavored cheeses like Gorgonzola or sharp cheddar. Blend: 69% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Malbec, 7% Cabernet Franc,7% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot

94 Wine Enthusiast

A nicely firm texture holds together vivid black currants, blackberries and mint in this full-bodied, dark and assertive blend, which is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon. Ample tannins match the outstanding ripeness of the fruit for good balance despite the wine’s obvious heft and power. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

Good Monday morning.  Thanks Rich, Roy, Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa for your dedication.  

Good collection of days and wonderful quote today.  Yum on the meal!  Ushuaia was a wonderful place to visit and a must on any South America itinerary.  I am betting @0106 is salivating at the pics posted in anticipation of her cruise 😜  My pictures are pre-digital but I’m enjoying the memories the ones posted bring back.

IMG_1993.thumb.jpeg.716a7bf5363fc147f82c496603ebe472.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann and Debbie for your dedication to this thread. You keep us informed, hydrated and fed.  

I can celebrate all three days. 

I will pass on the meal since they are not my favorite veggies.

The wine is a bit above my budget.

Not sure about the drink

I have been to Ushuaia.  I will look for a few photos.  Not sure I have them.

Today I will try to get all the finances in order so that I have no worries in that category during our cruise.  Then I can devote the rest of the week to getting ourselves packed. We will drive to Jacksonville on Sunday and fly to Miami on Monday.  I don’t know if we are making the right decision in flying, but that’s what we’re doing and we will live with it.  The last time I was exhausted after the long drive both ways.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don’t have any problems on this cruise.  It will be the deciding factor on whether we take anymore.

Not much more to report today.

Prayers for all on the cares list.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising and getting ready to cruise.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 35

We were in Ushuaia on March 25, 2012.  We had to skip Stanley, Falkland Islands because of high sea swells.  However, the Argentinians did not believe the Captain.  When it was time for us to leave Ushuaia, the Argentinians wanted him to sign a document stating that HAL would no longer stop in the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas).  The Captain was not willing to do that. However, since it was a Sunday, he was unable to reach anyone in HAL’s offices in Seattle.  Finally he amended the document to say that HAL would not stop at the Falklands for the rest of the season.  Note that we were the last ship of the season to call in Ushuaia,

Unfortunately my photos won’t load.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good cold 15 degrees morning it’s getting to be above freezing the rest of the week. By Friday it’s supposed to be near 60. 
Steve is doing better and he can get out of the lift chair with someone watching. His daughter and 5 year old grandson are on daddy and poppie watching duty while mom needs a break.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 31

Good morning all! Well, our Lions roared yesterday and they move up one step closer to the super bowl. Been a long time!

another cold day today but we will start to warm above freezing this week and get rain instead of snow. Of course that means possible flooding in low lying areas since this ground is frozen solid. We are ok but have my fingers crossed for my sister.

prayers for those needing them and a shout out to all celebrating or cruising. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Cold here in NJ and colder where we’re headed in Maryland!  But warming up and the roads should be ok. Finishing packing this morning and foods. Checkin isn’t till 4pm. It’s 4-5 hrs drive. 
Thanks all for your support!  I’m praying for Amazing!  

We were in Ushuaia! 2013 on Carnival Splendor as they repositioned her from CA to NY before the new PC locks. They call it Fine del Mundo End of the World. It was a very special trip, and a picturesque port!  Good memories. 

Have a great day all!  I’ll post later. Maureen 

• Like 34

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Three good days to celebrate and a very thought provoking quote.  I have done broccoli and cauliflower roasted - sometimes together - I think I would like this as a side dish.  The Gibson sounds good, the wine is too expensive for my taste and I have never been to Ushuaia.  Interesting history day.

IMG_4109.thumb.JPG.5eb18c796495f8deef9f2f1b58bb158c.JPG

Yesterday it rained almost all day, sometimes heavy.  We do have a slight break in the rain and it is expected to return this afternoon.  But this keeps the temps moderate; presently it is 49F heading up to ~60F.  

IMG_4108.JPG.7180aaef35b3aa9a7e05a6bbb43a98ef.JPG

Did go out yesterday to pick up some needed stuff but never made it to the grocery store.  So had pizza for dinner.  Ordered an electric lap blanket from Amazon that was delivered yesterday.  Poor Amazon driver.  It was rainy and dark by time he came to deliver the package.  My apartment is hard to find and I occasionally get my packages delivered to other doors.  So I waited and watched the tracking app until he arrived.  Of course, he couldn't find me so I walked out and knocked on his driver's door.  He was very appreciative.  

IMG_4110.thumb.JPG.ecbe9007c43490604e3fde601453d30e.JPG

Nothing planned for today except PT.  Maybe the grocery store.  

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_4111.JPG.1d35a06b3624b00f503cbce5bfdf9bae.JPG

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Haha 9