No air conditioning Grand Princess

organist65

6 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I recently heard the same from a very reliable source.  🤔

Not a reliable source but 4 Australians we sat with at the MTP luncheon were excited about the Grand coming down to Australia in 2 years.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Not a reliable source but 4 Australians we sat with at the MTP luncheon were excited about the Grand coming down to Australia in 2 years.

I believe that's where Princess sends all their old ships just before selling them. 

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I believe that's where Princess sends all their old ships just before selling them. 

If they are selling to P & O Australia.

But, we do not know this for sure. Just a rumor.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So..following that, the Majestic and Discovery are being sold as Majestic was there this season and Discovery will be there next season? 😂 (Kidding, folks, humor)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

So..following that, the Majestic and Discovery are being sold as Majestic was there this season and Discovery will be there next season? 😂 (Kidding, folks, humor)

All in due time. 

On 2/6/2024 at 6:21 AM, wallyj said:

Glad to hear the A/C is back. I hope because it was not a quick fix, information regarding possible compensation has to been co ordinated with Corporate once fixed, so hopefully you will report back if any compensation is being offered.

Will do. Absolutely nothing so far.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:28 PM, dockman said:

So maintenance got it fixed but captain never acknowledged it or offered any info at all?  Can that be correct?  If so shame on that captain and his exec staff.

Correct

On 2/6/2024 at 1:13 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Glad to hear you got your AC back.  I hope that they gave you all some OBC to make up for it as you certainly deserve it. 

Nothing! Not even an acknowledgement or apology.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:49 PM, coo359a2 said:

The Grand was in Australia last year, homeporting in Melbourne, and is here again now. We cruised on her last March and she was in reasonable shape then. Crown is coming down for our 24/25 season\, and both Crown and Grand will be here in 25/26.

There was a rumor about the Grand transferring to P&O AU. Looking at the Princess schedule though, the Grand is scheduled well into '26. Curiously, the Diamond is off the schedule after August of '25.

Edited by mtnesterz

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Grand was in Australia last year, homeporting in Melbourne, and is here again now. We cruised on her last March and she was in reasonable shape then. Crown is coming down for our 24/25 season\, and both Crown and Grand will be here in 25/26.

Yes I know as we were on the Grand for 5 turn around cruises out of Melbourne last Oct/Nov.  I just thought it interesting to listen to the Australians talking about the Grand coming to home port in Australia.  .  

Edited by coo359a2

7 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

There was a rumor about the Grand transferring to P&O AU. Looking at the Princess schedule though, the Grand is scheduled well into '26. Curiously, the Diamond is off the schedule after August of '25.

A ship being scheduled into the future is no guarantee that it won't be sold before those dates. Princess will simply cancel any bookings that are past the "sell by date". They've done this before. I had a wonderful cruise scheduled on the Pacific Princess that was cancelled due to the ship being sold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

So when does your reliable source say this is happening?  

No time schedule was given, only that the Grand would be the next ship to leave the fleet.  🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

No time schedule was given, only that the Grand would be the next ship to leave the fleet.  🤷‍♂️

Aha.  I have heard that for many years.  Other, newer ships have been sold , but not the Grand.  What does your reliable source say about this?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have sailed her since 1998 , are on here now and have 2 more cruises in 2025 coming up on her. I have heard this rumor for years   Don’t believe everything you hear. She is scheduled through all of 2025 and 2026. “Reports of her demise are greatly exaggerated “

Edited by memoak
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, Daisyloo said:

Princess needs to get rid of the Grand. We were on her about 10 years ago and she was in rough shape then.  We were in the mid aft area and our whole area lost power for a few hours several times.  There were leaking pipes in our hallway, with multiple buckets catching drips. They had big industrial fans blowing to dry the carpets.  The whole area stunk of sewage.  We said then that we would never sail on the Grand again.  

10 years ago Grand Princess was 16 years old.  If Princess had to get rid of every ship before it reaches the age of 16, that’s half their fleet.  Cruising would get pretty expensive that way.  Ships go to dry dock periodically and come back in better shape.  You may have sailed through “the perfect storm” of delayed maintenance issues, of which you listed two.  I’m not canceling my April cruise on Grand up the US west coast. Of course, a/c will not be as critical then and there. I hate reading about bad cruise experiences due to equipment breakdowns but I know they happen. So far, not to us and I prefer the older ships. If Princess gets rid of them all, I will follow them and sail the line that purchases them, at least until they turn down the volume in the Piazza on the new ones.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/7/2024 at 1:34 PM, beg3yrs said:

A ship being scheduled into the future is no guarantee that it won't be sold before those dates. Princess will simply cancel any bookings that are past the "sell by date". They've done this before. I had a wonderful cruise scheduled on the Pacific Princess that was cancelled due to the ship being sold.

This was due to COVID and cruise lines trying to stay alive. Usually Princess doesn't sell ships until after they have run their schedule. I hope this is true as I have the Grand booked in 2026 and am looking forward to these cruises.

After saying that, I would expect the Grand and Island to be the next ships sold or transferred.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Hopefully after Aug of next year. We have our favorite Emerald Deck Mini booked for the LA-Alaska-LA 16day cruise. That cruise was close to being sold out before anyone but elites got to book.🤞

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Hopefully after Aug of next year. We have our favorite Emerald Deck Mini booked for the LA-Alaska-LA 16day cruise. That cruise was close to being sold out before anyone but elites got to book.🤞

I have a San Juan sailing in 2026. Princess hasn't done those San Juan departures for awhile.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

This was due to COVID and cruise lines trying to stay alive. Usually Princess doesn't sell ships until after they have run their schedule. I hope this is true as I have the Grand booked in 2026 and am looking forward to these cruises.

After saying that, I would expect the Grand and Island to be the next ships sold or transferred.

The sale of the Pacific Princess may have been accelerated by COVID however I stand by my statement that just because a ship is scheduled does not mean it won't be sold or transferred or whatever before they complete their scheduled itineraries.

IIRC, the sale of the R3 Ocean and Royal Princess ships involved cancelling already announced cruises as well.

All that said, I'd be happier like most of us if Princess actually did complete a ship's published itineraries with bookings before they got rid of a ship.

• Like 2