Silversea vs Seabourn

babydrum

I have only been on Seabourn once, and found it to be very casual and energetic. Silversea is a bit more formal, and unless you are on an Expedition cruise, is a bit more laid back. This is just my opinion, so others could have had different experiences. I throughly enjoyed our Seabourn cruise, but it seems that the itineraries I like are always way too long for us.

• Like 2

SS for me. I have only done one SB ... Odyssey / Alaska .... and was unimpressed. F&B let it down badly. Many staff seemed to lack basic knowledge of the ship and facilities. 

SS / Ray is my next one.

A perennial and interesting topic.  I currently find myself on Silversea cruises (two last year, two this) because of the itineraries, though Silversea has already completely cocked up our so-called expedition cruise next April.  This has nothing to do with Suez/Houthis etc.  But on that subject, many people have complained about lack of information from Silversea about cancellations.  

If you want to do a 'classic' cruise on a biggish ship then Silversea has a broad choice, including some recent ones like the Dawn, the Nova and the Ray.  Once they were market leaders in the expedition sector but now lag behind Seabourn with its new purpose-built Venture and Pursuit.  Silversea's Cloud and Wind are old-school, old-tech conversions of classic cruisers.  Silver Endeavour is the only one of their fleet I'd consider taking to Antarctica. I still think Seabourn's ships - Quest class or Ovation class - are the best-designed I have ever been on, mainly because of their vast deck space. Seabourn's decor is also superior as Silversea is a bit too beige for me.

On a more general note, I always have preferred the vibe on Seabourn ships.  Silversea is a bit more dressy, a bit more formal, which isn't to my taste.  I also think the Silversea butler thing is pretty silly. I mean, seeing men waltzing around in tail coats when you come back on board covered in penguin poo is ridiculous.  I think service levels are pretty much equal and ditto the food.  You can pay extra on Silversea at La Dame for fancy glassware and cutlery which is a treat I am obstinately resistant to.  All Seabourn feeding stations are included and I'm delighted to see they have finally dumped Thomas Keller. 

So you can tell I prefer Seabourn, though Silversea  currently has - for me - the more attractive itineraries.  And that's the only reason I go on ships.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is hard because things on Silversea changed post RCL and it closed the gap between the two drastically 

SB had better ships per pax IMHO, SS had better food and service until 2020 (pre Covid), it has slid down the quality line 

The lack of change in menus over the time, with the exception of slotting in inferior produce has narrowed the gap 

The handling of current trips has been a critical downfall.  Seabourn notified people 29 Jan for trips as late as April, I got my cxl for Feb 23 on the 10th, add insult to injury, decision was made on 8th and it was only thanks to CC I knew earlier.  

I had done an onboard booking but because I’d made full payment I lost the bonuses accrued (5% plus $ 100 OBC) 

I have free laundry with SB 🤣 

Driving factors….

price (single)

ports

and TBH. I don’t feel valued. 

OTOH, my experience with SB has been gratis upgrades, constant and open communication.

I think it’s a coin toss 

You ask people on this board and the answer will probably be SS.  You ask on the Seabourn forum, the answer will be SB.  Both have pluses and minuses.  If you like breakfast and lunch in the dining room, then Silversea wins.  Seabourn limits the options to buffet (b'fast/lunch) on most days.  The entertainment is better on Seabourn.  The Cruise directors are mostly better on Seabourn.  The mainly Filipino crew on SS seems more cohesive.  I loved the TK grill on SB and will miss it.  I think this was a cost cutting move.  Others will point out that Silversea has done plenty of cost cutting too. 

Agree, its a coin toss.

• Like 1

I just signed up for my third SS cruise, after discovering them on a well-priced port-to-port cruise. So I like them, and am inclined to not look elsewhere.

I expect that inertia has a lot to do with preferences. Cruises are expensive enough that most of us can't afford to do a lot of experimenting. I'd be inclined to look elsewhere only for a really really attractive itinerary (and price).

I think cruise line reviews are even less useful that the usual internet reviews. Customers have already selected for what they want (and can afford) and are mostly reviewing how close things have come to what they expected. Higher-end cruise lines attract customers with higher expectations who find more nits to pick.

Incidentally I think Viking is the Tesla of cruise lines, being surrounded by a reality-distortion field that makes (almost) all customers satisfied. (Or maybe they do a really good job of encouraging favorable reviews).

• Like 8

I appreciate all of your comments.  I was worried that SB was going to be too formal but now it sounds like SS is even more so.  I dress up for work all the time so, I like to relax in some jeans and a comfortable shirt when on vacation.  I'm sure I'll make it work with sundresses but my husband has to find some lightweight dinner jackets.  I know, first world problems.  I do like the cabin on the SS ship better than the one I had reserved on SB.  It's just a verandah but the verandah on SB wasn't as big and I didn't care for the décor as much.  It looks like SS has a lot of food choices and I get the impression that both lines do food fairly well.  One thing I've noticed so far is that the included excursions on SS are extensive.  I just booked this cruise and was still able to find acceptable excursions even though it starts May 5th.  SS had two included excursions offered on SB for $250 pp with no upcharge.  Sadly, those two excursions were fully booked but I'm hoping to get something on board.  I'm looking forward to trying both lines and I'm glad to hear that there isn't such a significant difference between the two.  Itineraries will continue to rule the day!

16 minutes ago, babydrum said:

but my husband has to find some lightweight dinner jackets. 

Actually, one nice blazer will suffice. Nobody will notice if it’s the same one, other than the two of you. 

We can’t really compare the two since our cruise on SB was seven years ago. We do like SS, though, and Regent. 

• Like 1

If you are sailing on Nova or Ray (or any of the expedition ships) the dress code is much relaxed – and rumor has it that this new dress code will be applied throughout the fleet during the course of 2024.

Dress Code – Shipboard Attire (Silver Nova)

Silversea operates an onboard dress code after 6 pm. During the day, casual wear is suitable, akin to standard sports outfits found at five-star resorts. It is recommended to wear flat or low-heeled shoes for deck activities.

On board Silver Nova, evening wear falls into two categories:

• Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers, blouses, skirts, or casual dresses, while gentlemen can wear open-collar shirts and slacks. A jacket is optional.
  • Formal Optional: Guests may choose a more formal attire, such as an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit with a tie for gentlemen.  Alternatively, guests are welcome to adhere to the Elegant Casual dress code, except that gentlemen must wear a jacket in all indoor spaces.

Note:  I was just on Silver Whisper, with the original more-formal dress code.  The last sentence quoted above was not enforced or even mentioned onboard.  And they are happy to lend your husband a jacket, which he only need carry over his arm to the table and then drape over the back of the chair.

• Haha 1

We love SB and think of it as our preferred line and are booked on a Grand Voyage this year.  However last year we sampled SS on the Moon and were knocked out by the dining and bar options, as well as the elegance of the ship.  We are returning to SS on the Ray in December and look forward to the dining options (not La Dame, where the upcharge is ridiculous).  I also note that we have been victimized by a Silversea last-minute cancellation due to a corporate charter.  I try to ignore that bad experience.

• Like 1

Not that its any of your business, but I like to see how the cruising industry is shaping up in general, we are not great sailors but have or had over 100 days with SS.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

This may be a trivial difference for many people, but it is an important matter for me.

For various reasons, including some mobility limitations, I do not do meals at buffets. With Silversea, I have never failed to have a served breakfast or lunch with tablecloth in The Restaurant or Atlantide.  I understand that such is not possible on SB, especially on port days.

• Like 1

That is true, but you can have everything served to you in the Colonnade.  Some things are always served anyway, like eggs benedict, pancakes etc., and I have seen waiters taking orders at lunchtime for people who do not want/are unable to serve themselves from the buffets.  I have always had a special coffee at breakfast delivered to the table - I like a double espresso in a tall mug or cup filled up with standard coffee, for instance.  

I agree with linslady, the serving team will provide everything your heart desires (well if they have it onboard) to your table in the Colonnade. I do believe the restaurant does open for breakfast and lunch on some days but I have never used that facility (apart from the galley lunch which is a buffet) as I prefer to sit outside if weather pleasant or inside by the window if not.

We have 90 days on SB and 30 some on SS with an upcoming one on SS.  They are variations of a theme. . If I had to pick one I would pick SB but barely . SS was not very forthcoming with their handling of our recently cancelled Red Sea trip but they had a lot of ships in the air. Both have the same clientele but SB peeps seem a bit more relaxed. Can’t go wrong with either. 

@bitob Curious what you have the butler do?   I've never had one so I'm still trying to understand this butler thing.  I'm not going to have them pack/unpack.   I do want them to refill my fridge.  🙂. But beyond that and room service, I'm not sure what they do.  

22 hours ago, southerngoose said:

@bitob Curious what you have the butler do?   I've never had one so I'm still trying to understand this butler thing.  I'm not going to have them pack/unpack.   I do want them to refill my fridge.  🙂. But beyond that and room service, I'm not sure what they do.  

To me, a butler is more of a convenience to have one contact for all your needs.

For example, he can do dining reservations, but it rarely worked for us. We just go to the dining venue and make a reservation. Refill the fridge - cabin attendant can do it. We are perfectly capable to pack/unpack or fill our bathtub. To me, butler is a marketing gimmick more than a real benefit, but some people find them useful.

@ak1004   Do you have both a cabin attendant and butler?  Or is the butler also acting as "cabin attendant".     I'm sort of agreeing with you n the "gimmick" thing because I'm not asking someone to pack/unpack or draw a bath.  🙂.     I'm sort of hoping that someone has found some other unique task that a butler can do.   I will likely use the room service and apparently will need to call the butler to help with.

The steward does the cleaning and works with the Butler in handling your requests.  The Butler will also shine your shoes, polish eyeglasses and help with minor repairs to your clothes.  If you are going on a long or particularly arduous tour, your can ask your butler to have sandwiches, snacks, etc., set out for when you get back.

Also good for helping you figure out that darned "convenient" interactive TV.

Edited by dawntrdr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Silversea is more of a luxury line. Seabourn is more do it yourself and “get on with it”.

How so? Butlers on Silversea handle lots of requests that on Seabourn you would queue up to discuss with a young person at Seabourn Square in that homely environment. Nothing wrong with that if you have the time, patience and don’t mind the distraction. Oh, and about suite maintenance, we love the Silversea same day laundry, which is 2 days on Seabourn.

Another point is Silversea has more dining choices open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, especially on the newer 4 ships. And far more sophisticated menus and buffets. White table cloth sit down service is always available! On Seabourn it’s a buffet for breakfast and lunch most of the time in the Colonnade or a modified buffet at the pool. Why? The main dining room is often closed for breakfasts and lunches. Really. And no, the Colonnade will not deliver at these buffet venues “whatever you want” as I saw on another post. The kitchens of the Colonnade and poolside are very limited, more prep kitchen with the cooking done elsewhere.

Seabourn is more fun as far as entertainment depth and staff mixing with passengers. We much enjoy those sailaway parties with a live band by the pool, singing and caviar service! Everyone mixes and is smiling. Silversea can be humdrum. Seabourn’s pool areas’ quality of sun lounger is cheap, old and poor- no padding, narrow, and not enough of them. Maybe good for discouraging the unhealthy habit? Anyway, I have heard for years now that better ones are on the way. And then there is the much longer and deeper pools and long walking/running tracks of the 4 Silversea ships. Puts Seabourn to shame- if you like to swim and want a circular long track to work out and to experience those sea views. Seabourn shorter pools are often used for bobbing about and chatting while holding drinks. No kidding. Not much to be said about walking on deck since the areas are small and encumbered.

For us, consistency of service and quality is top at their Silversea 4 ship newer fleet. Seabourn’s appeal is very different, and for a long cruise with a similar itinerary we would probably prefer Silversea.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1