The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 1st, 2024

kazu

Today is Baby Sleep Day, Endometriosis Awareness Day, and National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.--Aldous Huxley, Complete Essays, Vol. II: 1926-1929

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese
Drink of the Day - Affinity
Wine of the Day - Franzia Sunset Blush Pink Wine 
Destination of the Day - Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 

Today in History:
1642 Georgeana (York) in Maine becomes the 1st incorporated American city
1869 US Postage stamps showing scenes issued for 1st time. These pictorials showed a post horse and rider, a locomotive, a shield, an eagle and a ship, the Adriatic.
1872 Yellowstone becomes the world's 1st national park

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort-de-France, Martinique, Roseau, Dominica 07:00 - 18:00 ,08:00 - 18:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati eta 03-02

Nieuw Amsterdam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 11:00 - 21:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

Port Stanley, East Falkland Island 08:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00 

Zaandam

Boca da Valeria, Brazil Amazon, Manaus, Brazil Amazon 08:00 - 14:00 ,10:00 - 02 Mar 16:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Melbourne, Victoria Australia eta 03-03

Volendam

Sydney, NSW Australia 08:00 - 

Westerdam

Hong Kong, China 06:30 - 21:00 

Zuiderdam

Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan 09:00 I’m 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is chilly here this morning at 51 degrees. We are expecting much needed rain, so my toes are crossed! I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend!

20230318_191719.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

White Rabbit 🐰 White Rabbit White Rabbit 🐇.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Month.

Thank you for today's reports.

Endometriosis is painful for many ladies.

Babies need their sleep.

Good quote.

We have docked in Livorno Italy many times and it is much closer to Florence and Pisa than the most used cruise port of La Spezia.

Pauline is helping her friend at her home so I got a Banana loaf and coffee and called at the beach on the way home.

I hope everyone is well.

IMG_20240301_112123.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery, off vent 

RMLincoln’s DSIL transferred to Rehab, with treatments

Laken Riley killed while jogging on the UGA campus

Fires in the Texas panhandle

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd with cardiac issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Aliaschief (Bruce)!

Seasick Sailor out of CC jail!

Lazey1 feeling better and getting stronger daily

Rafinmd’s PSA showing improvement

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure, tapering drops

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for LAFFNVEGAS (Wind Surf Mar 2 to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean

2 days for 0106 (Nieuw Statendam Mar 3 to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF

Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean, Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 16

Rabbit   Rabbit   White Rabbit

Thanks for the Report.

March is coming in like a lamb.  This afternoon should be a sunny 6°C (43°F).  A good start to a new month.   We are remembering former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney who passed away at 84.  He was PM from 1984 until 1993.

Sleep is important for everyone.  I love peanut butter.

Great quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are good too.

We were in Livorno several years ago on the Eurodam.  We visited Florence, I'd love to go back.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit

Good morning from a warm but cloudy day at the beach

i am off to an eye appointment early this am. Wanted to wish all the Dailylites a warm welcome to March. 
   Be back later

charlene 

• Like 23

White Rabbit white rabbit!

Good morning from near Manaus Brazil. Love peanut butter, endometriosis is horrible (from personal experience) and I have no babies but I hope those that do the little ones sleep well. As someone who believes in facts deeply I hold my glass up to Huxley!! Pass on the food and drink. I have been to Florence but not Pisa. wow what days in history!  Been to Yellowstone many times. 

The trip to Boca da Valéria was interesting. A new school and dock building and most “residents” had cell phones. Quaint church. I wish I would have brought school supplies but I did donate to the school and church. It was a little disconcerting the way children were used to receive money from the passengers - at least to me - but they were not aggressive and accepted a polite “no thank you”. It was hot and humid!!

Today in a couple of hours we will be in Manaus for an overnight stay. I am on a private excursion, thanks to our roll call. It should be fun. 

Thoughts for all especially those having trying times. Cheers for those celebrating. Have a fantastic day everyone!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! 🐇  Good morning friends!  It's 42F and cloudy here this morning.  If rain hasn't started already it will shortly and we will have rainy conditions most of the day along with a high temp of only 49.  I wanted to go grocery shopping but not if it's raining, darn it!  Anyway, happy first day of March!

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Daily and Fleet Report plus the maps posted every day for Rich @richwmn.

Hmm, baby sleep day.  I wish we could all sleep more but perhaps not 12 hours a day.  My sympathy to those afflicted with endometriosis.  I like peanut butter.  The quote is so true!  I'm interested in seeing the recipes today for the slow cooker turkey Bolognese.  Not sure what the drink is and would drink the wine since I love rosé and white zinfandel.  Nice days in history especially Yellowstone National Park becoming the first national park in the world in 1872.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your awesome reports on food and beverages.

Prayers have been said already this morning for DB and DGD, Bob's family and friends, Scott and Susan, the people of Israel and Ukraine, hostages held so many months later, and our troops in the region in harm's way.  Also for our Daily Care list and I hope for improvement in all your lives.  I mention you all by name as much as possible. 🙏 Hoping for better health for Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Jane @lazey1, Jacqui @kazu, Roy @rafinmd, Maurice, Pat, Richard, Tana, and so many others.  My prayers for Laken Riley, her family and friends on the day of her funeral.  Such a tragedy!  😭 For the Celebration list, happy birthday to Bruce @aliaschief and happy cruising to our huge group at sea or preparing for cruises. 🚢 Thankful to see Joy @Seasick Sailor released from CC jail!  🎉 Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the updated lists each day.  We appreciate you and are glad to see you feeling better.  

The port of the day is Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy for the fourth time.  The previous times were March 19, 2021, September 18, 2022, and Sept. 9, 2023.  I'll post the links here for your convenience in retrieving photos.  I'll also show my photos and hope you all will too.  There are so many places to see around Livorno and they are all beautiful and interesting.

No matter what the weather does today where you are, have a great one!  Stay safe and keep well.  Safe travels to all, including DS and DDIL flying back to Dallas from Madrid today. ✈️  They've had a fabulous week there.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done!

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno (outside town) so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already. I'll leave all the wonderful Florence, Pisa and Lucca photos to the rest of you and post photos from the day we toured Cinque Terre from Livorno.  If anyone wants to see how little there is to do in Livorno, I could post photos from there too.

The beautiful scenery along the way to Manarola.  We passed by the Carrara marble region.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso, a string of centuries old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous so later we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.

Our route to the sea in Manarola.  We noticed small boats stored right on the street, and that pink was a very popular color for houses.

The ocean in Manarola.

No boat ride from here!  Getting on the train in Manarola.

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  The walk to the seaside, the boats, the pink buildings, the cafes.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTsSzyMxY0KOhn8tqPWkRl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084174

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3XpFXdVJilWO6nwZQIvFa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084182

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqMnK33WN_2ZfJkmugATLG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132432

Why we didn't take the boat!

The scenery along the way on the train to Monterosso was gorgeous.  But it was just as pretty upon arrival.

A street scene and shops

A harmless looking church and its scary interior

Yep, skeletons!

Looking for lunch we decided to eat closer to the train station.  This walk was so gorgeous.

Last view of Monterosso and our day in Cinque Terre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIryId-URjc7hboQ-i-VyFc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132609

Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Cold and sunny today. Hoping for a warm-up next week. 

Meal of the day sounds yummy. Haven't bought the stove yet so the slow cooker has come in handy. At least it is keeping us fed. 

I have a variety of things planned today all involving sitting at my laptop.

Happy birthday to @aliaschief

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

10 Friday Memes To Make Your Day More Pawsome – Viral Cats Blog

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done!

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno (outside town) so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already. I'll leave all the wonderful Florence, Pisa and Lucca photos to the rest of you and post photos from the day we toured Cinque Terre from Livorno.  If anyone wants to see how little there is to do in Livorno, I could post photos from there too.

The beautiful scenery along the way to Manarola.  We passed by the Carrara marble region.

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso, a string of centuries old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous so later we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.

Our route to the sea in Manarola.  We noticed small boats stored right on the street, and that pink was a very popular color for houses.

The ocean in Manarola.

No boat ride from here!  Getting on the train in Manarola.

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  The walk to the seaside, the boats, the pink buildings, the cafes.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTsSzyMxY0KOhn8tqPWkRl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084174

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3XpFXdVJilWO6nwZQIvFa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084182

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqMnK33WN_2ZfJkmugATLG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132432

Why we didn't take the boat!

The scenery along the way on the train to Monterosso was gorgeous.  But it was just as pretty upon arrival.

A street scene and shops

A harmless looking church and its scary interior

Yep, skeletons!

Looking for lunch we decided to eat closer to the train station.  This walk was so gorgeous.

Last view of Monterosso and our day in Cinque Terre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIryId-URjc7hboQ-i-VyFc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132609

Enjoy your weekend!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers.Excellent photos and why I come back to the daily every day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Affinity cocktail:

Ingredients
2 oz. The Famous Grouse Scotch
0.5 oz. Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
0.5 oz. Dolin Dry Vermouth
4 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
Garnish
Brandied cherry
Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and add ice. Stir 25-35 times. Strain into a coupe or stemmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a brandied cherry.

Cocktail Story
Following in the footsteps of the Manhattan and the Rob Roy, the Affinity is a Scotch-lover’s dream developed by Hugo Ensslin, bartender at the Hotel Wallace, who documented the recipe in 1916 in his influential cocktail manual,

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 7.13.44 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

"March is the month God created to show people who don't drink what a hangover is like."
- Garrison Keillor

Poor March.  It is the homeliest month of the year. Most of it is mud, Every Imaginable Form of Mud, and what isn't mud in March is ugly late-season snow falling onto the ground in filthy muddy heaps that look like piles of dirty laundry."
- Vivian Swift, When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Guide to Staying Put
I couldn’t resist copying these two quotes from the March newsletter from my favourite author, Louise Penny. Our March day is calm and sunny, warming up all day. We should have a lovely weekend but March isn’t done with us yet! And the west coast weekend forecast is proof.

Have a good day, all

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

Good morning. It is another chilly start to the day at 27 going to  44 . There is still  some wind to make it feel cooler.

I will celebrate sleeping babies and can attest to the pain of endometriosis. Someone can have my peanut butter , i know, I am an oddball. The quote is a true one and timely.

We were in this port only once and I took a HAL trip to Portofino via a small boat. DD DH was  not feeling well and would have felt worse on the small boat in the rough waves. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the beautiful pictures. I guess the waves can be rough there often. I walked around the pretty town after climbing the cliff with the tour group. It was such a nice day and a gorgeous part of the world.

@kazu, Jacqui, I was sorry to read late last night that you were not feeling well. I hope today is better.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I am very happy to read of your overall decrease in pain and hope it continues.

@Seasick Sailor, So glad to see you back and love the outfits for Oliver. He has a lot of personality!

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

IMG_0117.jpeg.9ea540da4fe7dcbab8c4a88a755f75dc.jpeg

According to a 2021 study by University of Michigan researchers, eating a hot dog shortens your life by 36 minutes while a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds 33 minutes to your life.

A nutritional index published by the School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences in the Nature Food journal ranked 5,800 foods in the United States based on minutes gained or lost of “healthy” life per serving. With “healthy life gains” explained as an increase in “good-quality and disease-free life expectancy.” The Health Nutritional Index reveals that beef, processed meat, pork, lamb, cheese and sugar-based drinks cause the most healthy minutes lost, while nuts, fruits, vegetables and whole grains provide the most healthy minutes gained.

@superomaI love the Three Pines series of books!

Positive energy to those who need it.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 25

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  There's nothing quite as beautiful as watching a baby sleep.  My heart goes out to all women suffering from endometriosis; I worked with a woman who did and oh my, how much pain she endured was unbelievable.  I do like peanut butter, but not in cookies; to me that's just a waste of good peanut butter.

It's nice out right now, but it looks like March will come in like a lion.  Both the radio and my phone are telling me we're looking at a storm coming through starting tonight and carrying on until Sunday that could see a drop of 35cm (13 inches) of snow.  With our cold, then warm, then cold again temperatures, there's been a rash of motor vehicle accidents on slippery streets because of the icy conditions.  Adding more snow on top of the ice isn't going to be much help.  

@aliaschiefwishing you a very Happy Birthday with many happy and healthy returns of the day!

Prayers for the family of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney as they mourn his passing.

Our friend Wayne called yesterday to let us know he was in the hospital - it seems he was suffering from pulmonary edema and has also been diagnosed with pneumonia.  Due to overcrowding in the hospitals, he was in a treatment room in the ER, and would likely spend the night there.  It's hoped he'll be released today and we're expecting a phone call from him so we can pick him up and take him home.  On our way we'll also pick up some groceries for him and for us so we can all just hunker down during the storm.

I'd like to try today's drink because it's Scotch based, would maybe like the wine, and I'm interested in seeing the recipe for today's menu suggestion.  It's Friday night pizza night here, so if we pick up our friend and bring him home later in the afternoon, maybe we'll just stop and pick up our pizza to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  What happened yesterday in Gaza was unthinkable; that's all I'm going to say about that.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

IMG_0117.jpeg.9ea540da4fe7dcbab8c4a88a755f75dc.jpeg

According to a 2021 study by University of Michigan researchers, eating a hot dog shortens your life by 36 minutes while a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds 33 minutes to your life.

A nutritional index published by the School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences in the Nature Food journal ranked 5,800 foods in the United States based on minutes gained or lost of “healthy” life per serving. With “healthy life gains” explained as an increase in “good-quality and disease-free life expectancy.” The Health Nutritional Index reveals that beef, processed meat, pork, lamb, cheese and sugar-based drinks cause the most healthy minutes lost, while nuts, fruits, vegetables and whole grains provide the most healthy minutes gained.

@superomaI love the Three Pines series of books!

Positive energy to those who need it.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Her newest one, The Grey Wolf, comes out in October. We have visited the eastern townships area where the books take place! 

IMG_0123.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Another cold start today, I think it will warm up by the time I join some former colleagues for lunch today.  Remember these that would hang on your door at nap time?  image.jpeg.0d56a0b9bda97c8ac42c318370e4796d.jpeg

Endometriosis awareness is very important as many women suffer from it.  I’ll celebrate peanut butter today by eating some peanut butter cookies.  I like today’s quote very much.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion as we’ll be having borscht and shrimp cocktail for dinner.  Not sure about today’s cocktail.  We were in today’s port in September, it was beautiful, hot and very crowded.  Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events and happy birthday to @aliaschief!

IMG_1286.thumb.jpeg.0691c142263d05313e2012012d2aa067.jpeg

IMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.8a8919c5000744afac814ddac4889cb8.jpeg

IMG_1198.thumb.jpeg.2f24673736a56a45ec4a092d9d0ac5da.jpeg

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.f9a17fa9c9560b08d12828b2c4563e95.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!

We have a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but it is supposed to warm up to 50F.  And that comes with lots of sun.  I'll take that.  We all celebrate when babies sleep.  I know too well the pain of endometriosis.  I also remember the stupid doctors who would just pat my hand and tell me the pain would go away when I had my first baby.  I do love peanut butter and have it often.  Not in a sandwich with jelly, but on my cereal or in my oatmeal.  

@aliaschief

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.de181248ff5b60fe6548dafd25e32102.jpg

I hope your day is a happy one!

Today's meal is a meat sauce made with turkey instead of ground beef.  It is a dish that benefits from long, slow cooking whether in the slow cooker or on the stove top.  This first recipe has a link to a more traditional bolognese sauce for potato and butternut squash gnocci.  https://www.savoringitaly.com/slow-cooker-turkey-bolognese-sauce/

turkeybolognese1.thumb.jpg.cdf1d72d0b8cb6b7c52e60ca8e42af1f.jpg

I have made meat sauce many times, but never put cream in it.  This recipe uses white wine and cream.  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/slow-cooker-bolognese/

turkeybolognese2.thumb.jpg.0cac539beb50bc86e68e79a427bce97d.jpg

This last recipe is for the stove top, but it could easily be done in a slow cooker.   https://playswellwithbutter.com/turkey-bolognese/

turkeybolognese3.thumb.jpg.06e691aa7b0a0d9b8c124b6a6281e9fd.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8