Celebrity really needs a Proof Reader

Jim_Iain

My wife has a side gig that she has done for years where she proof reads for a Doctors blog. The doctor is well known and does many speaking engagements where she will bring up my wife and say that DW makes the Dr. look better than she really is. Point being, she realizes that when you have silly grammar mistakes it lowers peoples opinion of you.

BUT, it is also an easy item to cut from the budget. I believe grammar issues are so common that companies just go with the flow and don't get too worked up about it and save the money.

I am still amazed that major news outlets can't even get their headlines correct. I do realize that a lot of our news is now AI generated and there is very little oversight.

What a change over the course of my life when it comes to news. My town doesn't have a local newspaper anymore, local radio is pretty much gone, radio shows are recorded in different markets days ahead, or they are satellite feeds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hmmm..  Just received this e-mail - flogging Cruise Protection -   

image.thumb.png.b0be73ccafe80d3947887ce2d05ad404.png

the daily onboard planner has so many errors it would spoil the fun if it was suddenly to become accurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, Jim. We all have occasion to need a look over the shoulder. Of course, it starts with our own review. How many times does that not happen?  

My former employer (very large, very well known, and one most of you have likely shopped with them) has a department whose only job is to review all communications (internal and external) to make sure they are not saying something inaccurate or simply making themselves look like idiots. 

Definitely money well spent and Celebrity would be wise to hire someone in this role.  (Frankly, it seems like a lot of businesses need this role, not just Celebrity).

Edited by Salt Lifer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salt Lifer said:

My former employer (very large, very well known, and one most of you have likely shopped with them) has a department whose only job is to review all communications (internal and external) to make sure they are not saying something inaccurate or simply making themselves look like idiots. 

Definitely money well spent and Celebrity would be wise to hire someone in this role.  (Frankly, it seems like a lot of businesses need this role, not just Celebrity).

And you know what, SL, despite that human firewall, I'm sure that on occasion some unintended verbiage slips through for all to see. Communicatively, everyone will "look like idiots" at one time or another. Agreed? I am more amused when the critics pointing out the error(s) are they themselves quite capable of doing the same. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Dear X, as long as you change the spiny lobster to Maine lobster, you don’t owe me anything else and are welcome

IMG_3172.thumb.png.b5b4d6baedfe21ac0963e0d1bbf0e212.png

Maybe they should use AI.   Actually sounds much better

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

And you know what, SL, despite that human firewall, I'm sure that on occasion some unintended verbiage slips through for all to see. Communicatively, everyone will "look like idiots" at one time or another. Agreed? I am more amused when the critics pointing out the error(s) are they themselves quite capable of doing the same. 

I can't think of a single situation where anything public-facing went out wrong with typographical errors, thanks to appropriate checks and balances in the design and publishing process.  I am sure it was possible but extremely rare.  However, these types of mistakes are not rare for Celebrity, which is why I suggested they employ a team to proof all communications.  

• Like 1

Hello,

When it come to spelling and grammar, my biggest surprise and disappointment was on Cunard's QV. The printed dining room menu had Lamb Curry and Poppadom's.

(Sigh.)

Regards,

Cublet

14 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Only pointing out that there is a BIG difference from a multi-billion dollar company and an individual who is posting on a internet forum. In this case, Celebrity has shown time and time again that they just don't care like so many others.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe they should use AI.   Actually sounds much better

Or, maybe they are lapsing into text speak.

Maybe they are now employing people in their 20’s.

Most here could fall into the 'poor grammar/spelling/punctuation' scenario (including Moi...😉).  We tend to dash off responses and expect that the very intelligent CC postrs here know want we mean, read between the lines, and fargive us our trespasses...etc....😇.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Most here could fall into the 'poor grammar/spelling/punctuation' scenario (including Moi...😉).  We tend to dash off responses and expect that the very intelligent CC postrs here know want we mean, read between the lines, and fargive us our trespasses...etc....😇.

Bravo! 👍 😁

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Haha 1

It is indicative of lack of attention to detail.  The small things are just as important as the large things.  Oversight applies to more than just the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Bravo! 👍 😁

We're already wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overqualified for a job as a marketing writer for Celebrity 🙃

• Haha 2