The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 12th, 2024

kazu

Today is Equal Pay Day, National Girl Scouts Day, and National Organize Your Home Office Day

Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one. - Vladimir Nabokov

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Pinto Bean Stew with Jalapeno-Corn Dumplings
Drink of the Day - Banana Boat
Wine of the Day - Wakefield Cabernet Sauvignon 
Destination of the Day - Newhaven (Edinburgh), United Kingdom 

Today in History:
1455 First record of Johannes Gutenberg's Bible, letter dated this day by Enea Silvio Piccolomini refers to the bible printed a year before
1930 Mahatma Gandhi begins his famous 200 mile (300km) protest march against the widely hated British salt tax
1994 The Church of England ordains its first ever 33 female priests

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Belize City 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 7:00am 3:00pm 

Oosterdam

Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica 06:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles - 23:00 

Zaandam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 14:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 03-15

Volendam

Auckland, New Zealand 08:00 - 

Westerdam

Himeji, Japan Hyogo 06:00 - 23:59 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Hong Kong, China eta 03-16

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Today’s Care List:

Grapau27’s Sarah’s Father passing on 3/9/2024

Cruzin Terri at Mayo Jacksonville to see Rheumatologist

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency surgery, now at rehab

Cruzin Terri’s friend Anita post kidney removal for cancer

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK

National Guard helicopter crash, killing 3, seriously injuring 1

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren with aggressive cancer, starting hospice care

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Quartzite Cruiser (Lenda)!

Happy Birthday Overhead Fred’s DW Mitzi!

Welcome to the Daily Hogladyrider!

57redbird in Maui for a 2 week vacation

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan moved into her new place

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Mar 15 to Mar 23) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, with her sister

4 days for Suslor (Zaandam Mar 16 to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal

4 days for RedNeckBob (Celebrity Reflection March 16 to March 24) 8d E. Caribbean, then (Nieuw Statendam March 24 to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean

4 days for Crazy For Cats (Eurodam Mar 16 to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer

5 days for Scrapnana (Rotterdam Mar 17 to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer

Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, 0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 27

Good early morning from off the coast of Dominica. Quick check in. I have an early excursion. 

I am in a funk this morning. I received an urgent text from the young man taking care of my cat Martina last night asking me to call. Then another text from his aunt , my friend, that he was trying to reach me. Well the surf internet package doesn’t allow for phone calls I found out because I tried. So I quickly upgraded to the next level and called him. He came to check on her and found she had passed away. Poor kid, he was beside himself. After we talked, he buried Martina in my yard. It really didn’t hit me until this morning and I saw the “monument”. I will miss her 😭

IMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.f38fa4c9495f32a7875ca0eef94395fa.jpeg

Have a good day everyone. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for this thread.

Cool and clear this morning (and it's still dark) but it's supposed to be a sunny 14°C (57°F) this afternoon.  A good day for a walk and maybe I'll clean some windows.

Three good days to celebrate.

A very inspiring quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink and I'm sure the wine is wonderful.

I've been to Edinburgh but not Newhaven.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I am in a funk this morning. I received an urgent text from the young man taking care of my cat Martina last night asking me to call. Then another text from his aunt , my friend, that he was trying to reach me. Well the surf internet package doesn’t allow for phone calls I found out because I tried. So I quickly upgraded to the next level and called him. He came to check on her and found she had passed away. Poor kid, he was beside himself. After we talked, he buried Martina in my yard. It really didn’t hit me until this morning and I saw the “monument”. I will miss her 😭

Oh my heavens Pennie 😢 How awful!  You are more than in a funk, I think.  It’s sad enough when we lose our fur baby - and even harder when you are far away - a worry for any fur parent 😔 

My heart goes out to you and the young man who was caring for her 💔 

Huge hugs to you.

IMG_0406.jpeg.ebb9b3a2a304ae6eb50212c6accbdcae.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Happy Birthday Mitzi and Lenda.  Condolences to @Nickelpenny.  Wishing Terri good results at the Mayo Clinic. 

Equal Pay Day should get earlier each year.  A salute to the Girl Scouts.  I probably should organize what I use as sort of a home office but will probably just decide to call it something else.

I like the quote but am willing to wait to find out if it is true.  I'll celebrate all 3 of the days in history but especially the one in 1994.

Been to Edinburgh a few times but I don't think ever docked in Newhaven.

Today's meal is a solid miss for me.  My alternative is Pineapple, Kiwi, Strawberry Passion Fruit Cup, Chilled Wild Berry Blend Soup, Broiled New York Strip Loin Steak, and Carrot Cake with Lemon Curd as served on MS Prinsendam March 10, 2019:

dishes12.jpg

A chilly start today but the start of a warmer week.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  It's 36F this morning, but will be a nice 70 degrees with sunshine today.  I am going out to my annual physical at 9 am so hopefully all goes well there. No breakfast for me so I'm hungry!  But before I go further I want to wish Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Mitzi @Overhead Fred a very happy birthday!🎂  Enjoy!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Some nice days to recognize today.  Equal Pay Day is a great idea if people are doing the exact same job.  Why not?  A salute to the Girl Scouts, and who doesn't need to organize their home office?  A thought provoking quote, and that meal is a real mouthful, word-wise.  Another banana drink to enjoy, and someone else can have my red wine.  Important days in history in regards to the Gutenberg Bible, Gandhi and female priests in the Church of England.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the great reports every day.👍

Prayers today were said for my DB, great nephew's twins and friends Scott and Susan.  Also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in harm's way.  And last but not least our friends here on the Daily Care list in pain, undergoing procedures and some recovering from them, worry and depression. 🙏  For those celebrating happy events and cruising, I wish you all the best.  🥂🎉  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the stellar job you do on the Care and Celebration lists.  We appreciate you!  And I wish you an extra special day today.❤️

The port today is Newhaven, United Kingdom which is apparently another port for the city of Edinburgh.  We have had Edinburgh listed in some way four times before.  South Queensferry was the port on March 12, 2021, Aug. 12, 2022, and Jan. 17, 2024 while Edinburgh alone was listed on July 10, 2023.  So today I won't list any links because Newhaven has not been a port before.  I won't be showing my Edinburgh photos either.  If you would like to show photos of Newhaven or Edinburgh please feel free.  😉

Pennie @Nickelpenny I am sad to hear the news about your Martina passing away.  You must be in shock.  It was nice of the young man to bury her and place the little stone on top.  Prayers for you as you adjust to this sad event.🙏

Hoping the rest of you have a good day today, and please try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

IMG_20240312_080024.thumb.jpg.14df10a9c3ae892bab0920288f141750.jpgGood morning from a dull North East England.

Thank you to all contributers every day.

Today's food sounds okay but I prefer my bacon bap that I had this morning overlooking the North sea.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health.

Best wishes for a nice day to all.

Screenshot_20240312_104123.jpg

Screenshot_20240312_104148.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte 

59 right now with a nice day coming up, sunny with a high of 81

Very good selection of days but I’m not wild about the quote

Pass on the meal but it’s hard to beat a good Cabernet Sauvignon 

My son and his wife spent last week at a beautiful resort in Antigua but they had a flight back home from hell. First leg from Antigua to Miami was OK but all kinds of delays Saturday afternoon, they finally boarded around 11PM  and right before take off the flight was cancelled due to weather, the next available flight wasn’t until 8 PM Sunday night. They wound up spending around 29 hours at Miami International,  there were no hotels available so they wound up sleeping on the floor, they finally made it home to Dallas around 1AM Monday morning, this is one of the reasons among others why we haven’t stepped aboard an airplane since 2014

Have a great day and stay well

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Progress has been made towards equal pay, but we're not there yet, so I will support it's day. I very much enjoyed my time in the Girl Scouts and double down on support during cookie sales. I will not be organizing my home office today - how ironic that's today as late yesterday my boss added an early morning call for today & his boss is joining so I think its "the call" w/the outcome of the job study.

Pass on the meal, not sure about the drink, yes to the wine, not been to the port. 3 great days in history - would have thought the CoE would have ordained female priests before 1994.

I may not have work today depending on what my boss has to say this morning. He moved our 1:1 up to this morning and added his boss, so I expect it to be adios. After I got the call invite last night, I submitted a couple IT tickets that I was going to do today JIC as the teams need the work done and if this is "the call" I will not do anything after.

PT added a new exercise yesterday - it hurt while I was doing it and shoulder hurts today, so I plan to ice it a bit more than usual.

Currently 55° headed to 79° w/rains moving in Thursday. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Well now that I know what it is, I'll pass on the drink.

20240312_053039.thumb.jpg.c8b42b27066bb5e12d462f81a5a4acf1.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Banana Boat cocktail:

1 shot coconut rum
1 shot banana liqueur
2 shots pineapple juice

In a shaker add ice, rum, banana liqueur and pineapple juice.  Shake it up real well to get everything mixed up good.  In a chilled martini glass, strain your cocktail and enjoy!

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 7.01.00 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

It’s 9 PM Tuesday here. The rain manage to hold off and we had a Azamazing Day here. Twenty different tribes strutting their dance, dress and customs.Over 850 different languages spoken on this island.

Couple of sea days coming up as we head to a new place Koror, Palau.

A interesting day that was like being on a National Geographic expedition.

Off to nightly show and thanks for all the post and reports. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.38d240b586ccc7c9dcad176ee11aac65.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd6623037b1f1a464918f7d567d4bbe2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0e5ae12ebf2d069bd3c4a472d8d12316.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d4f565b29eef45990f8650877a0b734e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75c17c1919368d1d11cf616572f2e77c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.270bf8083fd0bcff0848741d1e835d14.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0114633aa485b4bdb42d0d975f67086b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.111123341e101ede4e3c735ecdcc6248.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e376d5b156894c1f6e737df7914dc9b.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14