The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 20th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Today is Chinese Language Day, International Cli-Fi Day, and National Cheddar Fries Day

The Indian Summer of life should be a little sunny and a little sad, like the season, and infinite in wealth and depth of tone, but never hustled. - Henry Adams

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Pasta with Scallops & Brussels Sprouts
Drink of the Day - Skip and go naked
Wine of the Day - Fontanafredda 2019 Vigna La Delizia Lazzarito Nebbiolo (Barolo)
Destination of the Day - Akita, Japan

Today in History:
2008 Danica Patrick driving for Andretti Green Racing wins the Indy Japan 300 at Twin Ring Motegi

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala eta 04-21

Koningsdam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 07:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 04-21

Nieuw Statendam

Dover, England 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii 07:00 - 21 Apr 23:00

Oosterdam

Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera 09:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

San Diego, California d1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Luderitz, Namibia eta 04-21

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kanazawa, Japan eta 04-21

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 22

• StLouisCruisers changed the title to The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 20th, 2024

Good morning friends!  It's 66 this early a.m. and we shall have a partly cloudy day and a high of 81.  Looks like our nighttime temps will go down quite a bit in coming days and I'm ready for that.  Too warm right now.

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for taking care of the fleet location maps today.  The Daily has some interesting days to recognize and a thoughtful quote.  I would skip the menu suggestion because of the scallops.  The drink name is rather risqué and I don't know what to think of that wine yet.  Hurray for Danica Patrick back in 2008!  Thanks to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.  

Prayers for DB, twin Linda, great nephew Alex's twin boys, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also for the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still away from home, and the troops in the region in harm's way.  And finally our Care list group and any others in need of prayers.  Tana who I hope had a better night along with Terry @smitty34877, Vanessa @JazzyV, Jane @lazey1, Annie @marshhawk recovering from her fall, Pat awaiting word on his valve replacement, and all here in pain or suffering losses.🙏

A salute to all cruising, preparing to cruise or leaving on land vacations, having birthdays and anniversaries, or any other special event.🫡🎉🚢🎂  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with our comings and goings.  Extra prayers for you Vanessa for Monday.  🙏

The port of the day is Akita, Japan and I found no other references to it so assume it's another new port.  No links today and no photos since that is a port we've never been to before.  I hope someone here can fill in the blanks for us.

Hoping you all enjoy your Saturday and please, stay safe and keep well.🙂

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thank you Sandi and Roy for today's daily and fleet locations.

I called at the beach this morning while Pauline was at the hairdresser's then we both went back to relax.

3 interesting days.

Food sounds nice.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240420_103706.jpg

IMG_20240420_084325.jpg

IMG_20240420_100721.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

70 right now with another day of sunny skies and a high of 85.

Interesting days but let’s have Chinese Food instead of Chinese Language day. I’ve never had Cheddar Cheese French Fries. No comment on Cli-Fi day.

Pretty good quote.

The meal sounds good but without the Brussel Spouts.

It’s Saturday morning so that means breakfast out at our favorite diner. 
The Stanley Cup Playoffs start today, we have a battle of Florida with the Lightning facing off against the Panthers this afternoon, Go Bolts!

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 29

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Thank you Sandi and Roy for today's daily and fleet locations.

I called at the beach this morning while Pauline was at the hairdresser's then we both went back to relax.

3 interesting days.

Food sounds nice.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240420_103706.jpg

IMG_20240420_084325.jpg

IMG_20240420_100721.jpg

Extra thirsty today!

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, now awake

Passing of Mr. Boston’s friend Lauren 4/15

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness – surgery on 4/22

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with skin issues

Summer slope’s friend Mike in rehab, post pneumonia, trach wean

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bennybear with good appointment with Oncologist

Marshhawk getting some work hours

Cruzin Terri having a beneficial meeting with the Dementia Practitioner

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Kazu (Volendam Apr 21 to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast

1 day for VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam Apr 21 to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure

2 days for Summer slope (Disney Wish Apr 22 to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruised with DGS & his parents

7 days for Haljo1935 (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) 16d North Pacific Crossing + (May 12 to May 19) 7d Alaska (celebrating birthday on board)

Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition, LAFFNVEGAS (Norwegian Joy to Apr 21) 7d Bermuda from NY, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 27

DD, DSIL, and DGS arrive today!  It's going to be HOT in Florida today.

Skip and Go Naked cocktail:

Ingredients:
2/3 cup cold beer
2/3 cup frozen pink lemonade
1/4 cup vodka
Directions:
Fill a blender half way with ice.  Pour in beer, lemonade, and vodka.  Blend well and serve.  Serves 2.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 6.25.26 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's cool here this morning, only 2°C (35°F).  Brrr  I wish it was warmer.

Not sure  what to make of the days.  All languages should be encouraged, I've never heard of cli-fi and I'll pass on the cheddar cheese fries.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good.  The drink sounds dangerous.  I hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 31

Here's our Destination of the day on Google Maps, showing the relationship to Westerdam's current destination Kanazawa.  Next time a BHB will be there is Noordam on October 18.

xport.JPG.e48548e2e949ea755a2deac9294c0f48.JPG

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

Posted (edited)

Good morning,

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for stepping in and taking care of the Daily and Fleet Report while Rich and Jacqui are cruising.  Thank you to Roy @rafinmd for the Maps and to Vanessa @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebrations report.  Prayers for all on the cares list and a big shoutout to those with something to celebrate and hoping that those who are cruising are having a wonderful time.

Thank you to Dixie @summer slope for the cocktail recipe.  I will pass on that as I do not drink beer. Never did and probably never will.

Thank you in advance to Debbie @dfish for the recipe and Ann @cat shepard for the wine of the day.  Not sure yet if we will partake of those.

We have not been to Akita, Japan.

Interesting quote.

I hope that today I will be able to finish up my packing and then try to help DH with his.  I see a bit of confusion on his end.  We will get it done and be ready to leave on Wednesday.

The good thing about Wednesday is that we don’t have a time limit.  We just have to get ourselves to Jacksonville.  We fly out on Thursday so that is a good thing.

Nothing else to report today. I better post this before Hargray knocks me off again.  I cannot believe I have to pay for this terrible service.  Yesterday they had the nerve to send me a survey about their service.  I was not even able to finish it before getting knocked off the internet.

Anyway, prayers for all and hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 32

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! Roy, thank you for our maps.  Yesterday was another spectacular day in my neighborhood. Today is starting out cloudy, but so did yesterday. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that Monday is the answer to all of our prayers. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and my niece & two great nieces arrive from New Hampshire. They haven’t had much of a winter, but it has still been cold. They will be welcomed by high 80 temps and pool water to match. 

IMG_2734.jpeg.4cfcdb52017d9b4641d17f30ed688fc0.jpeg

IMG_2732.jpeg.c1947e220bc2cc09e860649c33349c9c.jpeg

IMG_2731.jpeg.fab866754cea32b00b0d0b4b0bfe6d86.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Thinking of you Bruno. 

Terry, prayers for Tana, you, and your families. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @bennybear Brenda glad all is well. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Fontanafredda 2019 Vigna La Delizia Lazzarito Nebbiolo (Barolo)

This Italian masterpiece has lots of fans. But it is a bit elusive and is priced out of my league. I would love a taste, though. No rating below 95! The only online distributor I found that shipped to me sold it for $139.94, but you have to buy a case of 6!

Winemaker’s notes

Since 1858, the Fontanafredda Estate & Winery has been instrumental to the growth and international awareness of Barolo, while championing sustainability and community engagement in the Langhe region of Piedmont. Under the lead of visionary entrepreneur, Oscar Farinetti, Fontanafredda has built a portfolio of wines that express the depth and diversity of the Langhe, produced from grapes that are farmed from organic and sustainably managed vineyards. Since the 2018 harvest, Fontanafredda is the largest certified organic winery in Piedmont.

TERROIR

In the heart of M.G.A Lazzarito, lies one of the most historic vineyards of Fontanafredda. Vigna La Delizia stands on top of a strip of marl-calcareous-clayey land, rich in fossil matter. The 5.64 ha vineyard is located in the heart of Serralunga d’Alba, 380m asl.

WINEMAKING & AGING

Harvest takes place at the end of the second week of October. Grapes are hand harvested, destemmed, and fermented in stainless steel at a controlled temperature.
Aged for 30Harvest takes place at the end of the second week of October. Grapes are hand harvested, destemmed, and fermented in stainless steel at a controlled temperature.

Aged for 30 months in oak barrels, followed by eight months in bottle before market release. months in oak barrels, followed by eight months in bottle before market release.

TASTING NOTES

Spicy balsam-rich aromas. The nose has fresh mentholate notes that can be traced back to its terroir and which fade into spicy hints. The powerful Barolo shines when paired with hearty steaks and meat stews, grills and long-aged cheeses. It is also a wonderful accompaniment to the conversation at the end of the meal or for a special toast!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Here's our Destination of the day on Google Maps, showing the relationship to Westerdam's current destination Kanazawa.  Next time a BHB will be there is Noordam on October 18.

xport.JPG.e48548e2e949ea755a2deac9294c0f48.JPG

Roy

Thank you Roy.  You can see the town of Niigata on your map, which was port of the day on April 6.  A new port on the Daily just like Akita.

8 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for stepping in and taking care of the Daily and Fleet Report while Rich and Jacqui are cruising.  Thank you to Roy @rafinmd for the Maps and to Vanessa @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebrations report.  Prayers for all on the cares list and a big shoutout to those with something to celebrate and hoping that those who are cruising are having a wonderful time.

Thank you to Dixie @summer slope for the cocktail recipe.  I will pass on that as I do not drink beer. Never did and probably never will.

Thank you in advance to Debbie @dfish for the recipe and Ann @cat shepard for the wine of the day.  Not sure yet if we will partake of those.

We have not been to Akita, Japan.

Interesting quote.

I hope that today I will be able to finish up my packing and then try to help DH with his.  I see a bit of confusion on his end.  We will get it done and be ready to leave on Wednesday.

The good thing about Wednesday is that we don’t have a time limit.  We just have to get ourselves to Jacksonville.  We fly out on Thursday so that is a good thing.

Nothing else to report today. I better post this before Hargray knocks me off again.  I cannot believe I have to pay for this terrible service.  Yesterday they had the nerve to send me a survey about their service.  I was not even able to finish it before getting knocked off the internet.

Anyway, prayers for all and hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

I feel for you, having experienced no internet yesterday for a lot of the day.  You should fill out the survey and blast them!

• Like 20

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I feel for you, having experienced no internet yesterday for a lot of the day.  You should fill out the survey and blast them!

I'll bet the only chance she had to fill out the survey was the one where she started and it crashed on her.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Roy.  You can see the town of Niigata on your map, which was port of the day on April 6.  A new port on the Daily just like Akita.

Sandi, I started to fill out the survey when the service dropped again.  I don’t want to call them right now because I just don’t have time for them to show up in my house.  This has been going on for about a week.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

DD, DSIL, and DGS arrive today!  It's going to be HOT in Florida today.

Skip and Go Naked cocktail:

Ingredients:
2/3 cup cold beer
2/3 cup frozen pink lemonade
1/4 cup vodka
Directions:
Fill a blender half way with ice.  Pour in beer, lemonade, and vodka.  Blend well and serve.  Serves 2.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 6.25.26 AM.png

Why not drink this while playing Monopoly and Go right To Jail!

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

29 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Sunrise over Half Moon Cay

20240420_064852.thumb.jpg.5ec5171617b4b7173f62fe5916ba60a8.jpg

I bet Half Moon Cay is going to be wonderful with just the Volendam today.

We were there on the Rotterdam and the Nieuw Statendam was also there. Things were a bit crowded. You're getting the "private" private island experience!

• Like 26

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Partly cloudy today and 60. Maybe some rain. Hope to get the grass cut today. It is times like this that I wish I had goats. I also have to pull weeds and mulch as well as plant some azaleas that should have gone in the ground last year. I just wish the weather would cooperate. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

90 Funny Saturday Memes, Images & Pics for a Happy Weekend | Funny ...

• Like 27

Good morning. My niece taught in China for a few years and learned mandarin slightly. I give her a lot of credit as it certainly looked difficult to me. I have read a few books in the genre including one by Hanna Yanagihara called “A Little Life”. I have not been to Japan.

Today we will have more help as the New Hampshire family are coming for a visit. We will be able to do a little more outside the house if we all take turns helping Tana. She is really tired this morning but I hope she perks up a bit when she sees everyone and the grand dog arrive.

@cat shepard, Ann and @summer slope, Dixie, enjoy having family visits! I am glad your weather is cooperating and acting like Florida.

Take care everyone 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Reports and maps, Sandi, Rich and Roy.  A wonderful quote by Adams.   I will pass on the meal and cocktail would love the Barolo if someone gifted it to me.   For today's port.  I haven't been there.  

Akita head portrait outdoors.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.   I am so happy you are approved for your surgery on Monday.  Thanks for soldiering on for us to give us our reports!   Jacqui and Terrie safe travels!!    Prayers for Tana, Annie and everyone needing prayers.   Prayers for all in war zones, Ukraine, Israel and the innocents in Gaza.  

All went well with the tree potting yesterday.  Three ladies showed up promptly at one and we got to work.  We potted 27 very robust trees for our sale, some needing a 2-gallon pot because their tap roots are so long.    Since we had some extra potting mix I divided Solomon's Seal, Mayapples and a Peony so we got those ready for the sale.    We are taking a surprise road trip, I don't know where, we are to leave in a few minutes.  Comfortable shoes and no purse for the walk.   It is very chilly and windy so I hope it is a road trip to the 6 acre indoor garden center near Allendale.  Have to get there early as it is the first Saturday open for the season and it will be a zoo. A good way to get us out of the house instead of watching sports.   next week we will be glued to the TV with the NFL Draft in Detroit.    Have a lovely Saturday!   Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rather gloomy day today with grey skies and cold temperatures.  Sue is going to River's soccer game.  I'm staying home as I have a Zoom meeting.  Then I'll hit the gym, grocery store, and gas station.  I'm looking forward to next weekend as I am first heading to Columbus, Ohio for a conference with my health care group that I was the director of for many years.  Then, up to Kent for a few days to visit with friends.  Many of those in the health care organization are good friends after all those years, so it will be great seeing them again.  

Today's drink sounds interesting and I was going to suggest we do a taste test on a BHB on the next Dailyite adventure, but the recipe kind of nixed that.  It looks really pretty though!  Thanks, Dixie @summer slope.

Today's meal sounds really good to me.  I would substitute zoodles or cauliflower rice for the pasta to cut the carbs.  The brussel sprouts are pan fried so that brings out the natural sugars in them and they are really delicious.  Many people have only had them steamed, the worst way to cook them in my estimation.  I either pan fry, roast in the oven, or do them on the grill.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/281046/creamy-pasta-with-scallops-brussels-sprouts/

pastawithscallopsandbrusselsprouts1.jpeg.ed51013d8f28a8565d8b16836b1a5c9c.jpeg

In this recipe the brussel sprouts are thinly sliced and sauteed with pancetta.  The previous recipe used bacon.  I like either one!   This one doesn't have the pasta, which is ok by me.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/scallops-brussels-sprouts

pastawithscallopsandbrusselsprouts2.png.3b6ae82a251d7d10b55e2d49c8350e01.png

Now that's some good eating!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14