The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 28th, 2024

Today is National Brave Hearts Day, National Superhero Day, and Occupational Safety & Health Day

Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Spinach Pasta with White Beans
Drink of the Day - Midori Martini
Wine of the Day - Emrich Schonleber Halenberg Riesling R 2019 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Kobe, Japan

Today in History:
1910 First night air flight by Claude Grahame-White in England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Avalon, Santa Catalina Island, CA, California 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 04-29

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 04-30

Oosterdam

Rhodes Island, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 04-29

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Astoria, Oregon 1000-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Banjul, Gambia eta 5/1

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Muroran, Japan Iburi 08:00 - 17:00

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

Thank you so much Sandi @StLouisCruisers for posting today's daily reports.

It is 7°C and raining here at 09.57am.

I am sitting in church and the service is starting in 15 minutes.

Pauline is chatting away to all the ladies.

3 important days and interesting quote.

Great day in history.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health.

Best wishes for a wonderful day to you all.

Screenshot_20240428_095448.jpg

Screenshot_20240428_095512.jpg

Screenshot_20240428_095543.jpg

Screenshot_20240428_100334.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 23

Good Sunday morning friends!  It's 58F here and will be 80 and mostly sunny today.  I would have slept in later since there's no workout on Sundays but my brain doesn't know that and wakes me up anyway. 😪

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for helping out with the fleet location maps and thanks always to Rich @richwmn for the content of the Fleet Report and Daily.  Today is National Bravehearts Day for pediatric cancer awareness, National Superhero Day, and Occupational Safety and Health Day.  It's also Kiss Your Mate Day and National Blueberry Pie Day!  The quote by Lou Holtz is an interesting thought. He's such a likeable guy!   The menu suggestion might have too much starch/carbs for most of us.  I'll pass on the Midori Martini and Riesling.  Claude Grahame-White was a bit of risk taker back in 1910!  Thanks today to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers being said for my DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys due in July, and my friends in need of support.  Twin Linda is doing well after her surgery.  Prayers too for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages not yet home, and our troops in the region.  Also prayers for our Care list and rotation people such as Tana, Maurice, Jim and Pennie.  Hoping for improvement in physical and mental conditions for all.  So sorry to hear Jim lost his childhood friend.  Please give him my condolences Terri @Cruzin Terri.  

Congrats to all celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and to our group of cruisers.  Hope you all have an enjoyable day.🎉🎂  Thank you Graham @grapau27 for Father David's sermon today.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the excellent list keeping during your recovery from surgery and your dedication to duty.  Hope it was another good night and will be a spectacular day for you.🙂

A darling photo of Kevin yesterday, the new orange kitty for Maurice's DD.  What a face!

Today's port is Kobe, Japan.  This was the port in the past on Aug. 25, 2022 and March 17, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.  I have not been to Kobe before.

Have a great day today everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL passing 4/25

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, showing improvement

Sharon in AZ’s DM weak, but improving

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim’s loss of a childhood friend

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, hoping to qualify for TMVR study

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, needing a new stent

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery went well

Rafinmd’s PSA trending down with therapy

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

7 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 26

Midori Martini:

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. Midori melon liqueur

Add simple syrup to taste to sweeten.

Directions:

Fill a shaker with ice.
Add the vodka and Midori.  Shake
Pour into a martini glass.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 6.11.33 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

It’s a pleasant Sunday afternoon here. I have a haircut scheduled in an hour. Last night!’s Other Guys quartet singing Four Season Tribute was good and tonight we have a ventriloquist. We attended a Middle East themed brunch and tonight we will dine under the stars at a A La Carte dinner.

Attended a guest lecture by a tech guy teaching us how to get the most out of our phones or hand held computers. Eight more classes/lectures on this. Interesting and useful. As he stated It’s a computer that can make calls.Other than that we enjoyed talking to another couple and we are both enjoying reading and enjoying our verandha.

Here’s wishing you all a happy and safe Sunday. Thanks for the reports and post.

Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 69 this morning heading up to 83 with sunshine.

Very good days.

I’m not sure about the quote, the percentages might be skewed a bit.

I’m in on the meal.

Heading off to church in a couple hours, it’s Palm Sunday in the Greek Orthodox Church.

The Lightning are still alive as they beat the Panthers 6-3 yesterday but the odds are still against them winning the series as they must win the next 3 games.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 31

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and mild this morning.  I heard rain in the night, we might get more today.

Three good days to celebrate.

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal, but the drink sounds good.  I'm sure the wine will be nice too.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi!  Roy, thank you for our maps! Another glorious morning here. I am really getting spoiled by this Spring. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I am just so happy that you are doing so well after your surgery. You have certainly earned it. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, a visit with my Sister and a dip in the pool will keep me busy. Today is Brayden’s second driving lesson. 😎

IMG_2779.jpeg.d06ce976a9110ddea255970cb78bf355.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg.2bbb3846d435a2b78f40777ff84fc6ae.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg.fc1b23b555ddb7dd0cf91c56b5fa4f7e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Emrich Schonleber Halenberg Riesling R 2019

Make sure you opt for the label with the “R” on it. Possibly stands for Reserve, but other versions of this Riesling do not have the same rating. Fairly easy to find, but pricey. However the price is reasonable for a wine that carries a 99 - classic rating. Online prices start at $71.89.

Distributor notes

99 JS

#2 James Suckling's Top 100 Wines of Germany 2023 
#11 James Suckling's Top 100 Wines of 2023

A late-released giant from the great 2019 vintage with a mesmerising nose of exotic fruits and honeysuckle. This is only just beginning to approach its mature best, but the enormous concentration on the mid-palate is already clear. So much ripe apricot and mirabelle! Then comes the almost overwhelming brilliance at the super-long finish. Further patience will be amply rewarded! Drink or hold. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 4

THANK YOU!!!  I love these reports and photos and silly memes!!!  THANK YOU!!!  What a wonderful to begin my day!!!

Hugs to each of you and warm thoughts and prayers from my heart to yours!!

As for the meal...  I love spinach, I love pasta, I love creamy, I love beans....  HOWEVER, I'm waiting to see the recipes before I decide about putting them all together!!!

And pairing it with a nice Riesling would be perfect!!!

I'm not a Martini lover -- but with vodka and Midori, I'd try this!!!  Thank you for the recipe!!!

You know...  I didn't know they'd made a SuperHeros Day for Covid...  BUT...  I understand!!  I had these from during that time...

No photo description available.

Coronavirus Lockdown in Real Superhero: कोरोना के समय में असली हीरो कौन

But, I'd add Police, too!  However, during that time...  the Police were rather maligned and disregarded and omitted from this...  Times have changed and I'd think they'd be in there, now!!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Sandi @StLouisCruisers for taking over the Fleet Report and Daily for the next few weeks, Thank you to Roy @rafinmd for the maps, Vanessa @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebrations list, to Tina @0106 for the recipe, to Ann @cat shepard for the wine explanation, and to Dixie @summer slope for the drink recipe. Thank you also to Graham @grapau27 for Father David’s sermon.   We all appreciate your dedication to this thread.

I am hoping that today is a quiet peaceful day.  I was happy yesterday to see my house cleaner and now have sparkling house again.  I am glad to have this back on schedule again.  I do have a few loads of laundry to do and that will be dealt with over the next few days.

DH is sorry he does not feel he can make the trip up to Virginia for the funeral. He just feels the ride is too long.  I will include a note in the Mass card explaining our situation to his sons.  

Other than that we will just have a quiet Sunday at home. 

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is a balmy 62F here in Columbus, heading to 82F.  I’m having breakfast with a friend and then driving up to the Akron area.  Visiting with old neighbors this afternoon and dinner with a former colleague tonight.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 34

Beans and pasta? Does that sound like an unusual combination to you? Pasta e fagiole or pasta and beans is actually a traditional Italian combination.

Creamy Spinach Pasta with White Beans  combines fresh spinach and kale with cream cheese and Gruyère for the sauce of this rich pasta dish. Paired with beans, it makes a filling vegetarian meal.

i5PcTfqKweNWuDMODziET5C9rpejLYDDIINDBSCB4MGsohOWHTn0QTnkIkhDT_ECtfHJf_wlgV3wH4VxaXss5clAoiyuE1aJiohHsr8b9Zw7kkS-SafmflUP3JF_uOD8IgQ8T78hY9Vx6U2GRJ6k4Gk

Pasta with cannellini beans and spinach 

This recipe uses dried cannellini beans, also known as white kidney beans, you can also use cannellini beans in a can or substitute great white northern beans. They are cooked with chopped carrots, celery, and onion, a little bay leaf and oregano for an herby flavor. You could substitute the spinach with any kind of leafy greens such as Tuscan kale or chard.

UuoymUxau3k9NvANKaudQUstTkXn9AGSy4qhFjWMayuo6ShN5areGqcclGgjV1uzPY3ke5IH56IwyJARIF6usLfZgnbgdfbi9h9AkPMv5PPtV-YSXZJIHbVRM_jq6TPiTqyARg9rKgaUlRqWZkWrf0I

Creamy White Beans with Spinach  These beans are cooked with olive oil, shallot, plenty of garlic, and spinach.  There is no pasta in this recipe.  Serving suggestions include crusty bread, pasta, or polenta.

wt69m2-HZFzJGx9EBz6bnYYdHwQ7eNVgk5nDXtoIJln7VOTGf3GgBptPSoZxjPm1SDhMw4B72_n3iMWNi0eQ6MF9du5rHPWYXnrh2cmatxFA98bDKi_oAozQ7wZN9uwIEKNrZ2KJitfzw4OlxLjc8Ew

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

Today is the 5th anniversary of @richwmn  starting the Fleet Report, Daily, and finally Fleet Report and Daily.  Here are some key dates:

December 31, 2018 @luv2trvll’s last Fleet Location as his source of data disappears

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

June 1, 2019 @kazu was first guest host of the Fleet report

Approx December 25, 2019 first “Today is” Starting with Christmas and holidays but something else added for regular days.

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” There was not really a change in the substance for a while but March 16 did add a discussion of various possibilities

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

June 29, 2020 Maps become a regular feature of the daily

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

February 1, 2021, First Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

March 1, 2021 First Destination of the Day

July 24, 2021, First BHB with Passengers Lafnvegas onboard

July 31, 2021, First regularly dailyite on board Crazy for Cats Nieuw Amsterdam

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

January 28, 2023 @JazzyV takes over the Care and Celebration lists

January 25, 2024 First Alternative Maps with cruiser names

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today is the 5th anniversary of @richwmn  starting the Fleet Report, Daily, and finally Fleet Report and Daily.  Here are some key dates:

December 31, 2018 @luv2trvll’s last Fleet Location as his source of data disappears

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

June 1, 2019 @kazu was first guest host of the Fleet report

Approx December 25, 2019 first “Today is” Starting with Christmas and holidays but something else added for regular days.

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” There was not really a change in the substance for a while but March 16 did add a discussion of various possibilities

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

June 29, 2020 Maps become a regular feature of the daily

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

February 1, 2021, First Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

March 1, 2021 First Destination of the Day

July 24, 2021, First BHB with Passengers Lafnvegas onboard

July 31, 2021, First regularly dailyite on board Crazy for Cats Nieuw Amsterdam

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

January 28, 2023 @JazzyV takes over the Care and Celebration lists

January 25, 2024 First Alternative Maps with cruiser names

Roy

Thank you for the Daily milestones Roy @rafinmd and especially for remembering Father David's first sermon I posted on here.

Very best wishes to you Roy.

Graham.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

51 and cloudy, going up to 76 later, that’s very nice!  Tomorrow mid-80s!  That’s getting pretty warm, I’m not ready for that yet but Tuesday back to 70s. This will be our first summer in north Jersey. I hope it’s not as oppressive as Maryland but we’ll learn!  

Yesterday we had zero energy. Recovering. I did get flowers picked out and sent from my NC brother and FL sister. Had a long talk with my sister who regrets she can’t come to the Tuesday services for sister-in-law but it’s just not feasible. It’s good that I’m back east and more available, and I’m so grateful I have Richard with me to help me through these tougher times, we help each other!  

Today granddaughter and hubby will come in mid-afternoon and join us for dinner. They are such a lift to my spirit. 

My condolences to Jim and Terri @Cruzin Terri

plus it’s harder when you can’t join the gathering to give and feel support. 

Thinking of Terry and Tana, hope you have a quiet, easy day. 

Thanks for the beautiful nature pictures Paul and Brenda. We had great horned owls at one house in the foothills of Albuquerque. They’d sit on the air conditioner on the roof above our bed and hoot!  And eat rabbits….  But they were a treat to watch. Thanks for sharing. 

Blessings lifted to all our Dailyites and Care list, thank you Vanessa! Great to hear you are moving forward. ….and all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  For our country, your country and all caught in wars. Protection for those in storms. Continued improvement for Amber. A date for Maurice!  

Cheers for our cruising friends! Jacqui, keep safe and well!  And all celebrating. Life is Good🌈. One day at a time is Everything!  
Maureen 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone!   @rafinmd thank you for starting the day with the wonderful history of the Daily and thank you @richwmn for getting us rolling five years ago.   Sandi, Rich and Roy thanks for today's reports.     A great group of days recognizing those who make our life safer.  Thanks @grapau27 for all the clarity of the days for us.   A good quote from Lou Holtz. John spent a great deal of time in Kobe as that is where the HQ of his division of Kawasaki is located.  No photos though. 

Thanks for today's comestibles,   I will pass on the creamy pasta, maybe some bacon and peas instead, pass on the melon cocktail but I would love to get my hands on some of the Riesling.   

Vanessa, thank you for the cares and celebrations reports.  I hope each day you feel better day and find it easier to move around.   Prayers for Tana, Jim and Maurice.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.    

It got up to 84 yesterday but I got all the plants done from my sister's house pick up.  Many more coming on Tuesday.  I hope our publicity will be sufficient to sell all of them.   

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3