Living on a cruise ship?

grouchomarx

Does anyone think this is feasible? And what expenses are they glossing over? Gratuities, laundry and wifi come to mind. What class of ship would this be possible on?

http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/living-on-a-cruise-ship-is-a-lot-cheaper-than-you-think/

Only for the independently wealthy. Super Mario works constantly while onboard, and states his cruising costs him $70K+ annually. Mario found the perfect combination of an internet based career coupled with his love for sea travel. I would need to see new ports often, rather than cruising the Caribbean constantly. I don't see how Mario has done it for 20+ years...

Interestingly, I think that compared to many assisted living facilities in the US, you would receive very different attitudes in your care. The only issue would be with having assistance for personal needs such as bathing, toileting, meds, etc. If you had a personal assistant on board with you.....

I had heard several folks on my European cruises talk about living on a cruise ship since retirement homes are so much more. I didn't think that would be something I would want to do - or be cost effective. But then a friend of mine started looking for places for her mom. I was STUNNED at the prices. After that experience - I am thinking cruising may in fact be a great option for me when the time comes.

There is absolutely no way I could LIVE on a ship...a cabin is not "home" to me....

Unless you were "hail and hearty" and needed NO HELP due to your age and condition, I doubt they would allow you to "live" on a ship. It might be ok for a healthy retiree, but a cruise ship is in no way a "nursing home" or "assisted living" facility!

On our b2b cruises on the Adventure we met someone who sails about 270+ days a year, the caribbean, then a TA, then the med, etc. Gets home to help with his parents and see family over the holidays. My dh thinks it would be a great idea. We'll see.

I will live on a cruise ship one day, I would keep my eating the same as I do here at home. If you think how much the mortgage is, electric, gas, taxes, homeowners insurance, auto insurance, food, etc, living on a ship will be less costly for sure.

Many years ago we were cruising on another line. The CD introduced an elderly woman in a wheel chair who was traveling with her personal nurse/assistant. They had been on the ship for six months and were transferring to another ship for an additional six months for a change of scenery/ports.

She/they saw their families every week on turnover day. The CD told us her grandchildren booked a cruise many times to spend time with Gramdma.

The officers and crew were hosting a farewell party for her. She was well liked and very spry.

Her name was Mrs. Wyndam (of the hotel chain)

Does anyone think this is feasible? And what expenses are they glossing over? Gratuities, laundry and wifi come to mind. What class of ship would this be possible on?

http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/living-on-a-cruise-ship-is-a-lot-cheaper-than-you-think/

If you sail often enough, internet and laundry become fairly complimentary. Here's an alternative, get a nice beach condo near a cruise port. Jump on a ship whenever you feel like it.

If you sail often enough, internet and laundry become fairly complimentary. Here's an alternative, get a nice beach condo near a cruise port. Jump on a ship whenever you feel like it.

Hi John -

You and Laura are pretty close to living on the ship. Lol.

Keep us up-to-date on your future cruises. Hope you're recovering well from your surgery. Al & I miss visiting and having dinner with you two. We came back to lots of drama. Can't wait for our cruise in Nov. I bet Bella was so excited to have you home. Please send our hellos to Laura. We sure miss her funny stories.

Thanks to you both for your hospitality and friendship.

Happy Sailings.

Al and Judy

Is the ResidenSea still around? A boat practically full of condos...

Last time I looked, yes. But that is an entirely different concept than just booking a cabin on a regular cruise ship. It looks amazing, and I would love to book ResidenSea for at least a few years.... am seriously considering it.

Hi John -

You and Laura are pretty close to living on the ship. Lol.

Keep us up-to-date on your future cruises. Hope you're recovering well from your surgery. Al & I miss visiting and having dinner with you two. We came back to lots of drama. Can't wait for our cruise in Nov. I bet Bella was so excited to have you home. Please send our hellos to Laura. We sure miss her funny stories.

Thanks to you both for your hospitality and friendship.

Happy Sailings.

Al and Judy

25b8c646830e402d1412015369d9f2fb.jpg drove I4 out your way thist past Saturday. Traffic was extremely. Thick. Headed back on Saturday

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Nope. Cruise ships are a great way to vacation but not to live on.

I agree. 10 days is about my max on a cruise ship, and I've even scaled back how often I cruise. No way I could handle living on a ship. Way too many boorish people and menus/entertainment that never change.

I’d love the idea oftrying it. Here are few of the expenses that I'm wondering about that are notmentioned.

1. If you are not cruising 365 days a year. You will need another "home". The guy in the article has a separate condo. $$$$
  2. If you cannot book the same room for each cruise. Your life has to be able to move each week into a few suitcases.
  3. A storage unit for your stuff. Unless all your stuff fits into a couple of suitcases. $$
  4. Do you own a car? Storage, and maintenance while on the ship. $$
  5. You may need Air fare if the cruise ends somewhere that you can't book another cruise from. $$
  6. The prices being quoted seemed like per person rates for a double occupancy. For a couple you would need to double the rate, if single then what is the single rate? $$
  7. Can you live the rest of your life in a "home" without a window? The low rates are for interior rooms. Balcony or "suite" rooms are going to maybe double your expenses. $$$$

I’d love the idea oftrying it. Here are few of the expenses that I'm wondering about that are notmentioned.

I am thinking about this when my wife and I retire in about 9 years. We'd do it for a couple of years. I think I'm looking at it a bit differently that you are.

1. If you are not cruising 365 days a year. You will need another "home". The guy in the article has a separate condo. $$$$ - I won't have an on-land home, just as I'm not going to keep the house I'm living in now if I retire somewhere else. If I want to take a week or two off from cruising, I'd visit family or rent an extended stay hotel.
  2. If you cannot book the same room for each cruise. Your life has to be able to move each week into a few suitcases. That's the idea... you have a couple of suitcases and that's it. An ebook readers, a light laptops/tablet, and a couple of weeks worth of clothes.
  3. A storage unit for your stuff. Unless all your stuff fits into a couple of suitcases. $$ Nope... sell it all.
  4. Do you own a car? Storage, and maintenance while on the ship. $$ I'd sell it. Why do you need a car if you are living on a ship for a couple of years. I'd buy another one once I stopped cruising.
  5. You may need Air fare if the cruise ends somewhere that you can't book another cruise from. $$ Yes, but that should be the rare exception rather that the rule. I'd have my TA make sure that I ended up in ports that had a lot of cruise ship traffic.
  6. The prices being quoted seemed like per person rates for a double occupancy. For a couple you would need to double the rate, if single then what is the single rate? $$ I'd want my wife with me, so yes, we'd have double occupancy.
  7. Can you live the rest of your life in a "home" without a window? The low rates are for interior rooms. Balcony or "suite" rooms are going to maybe double your expenses. $$$$ I'd travel in a balcony or minisuite. It would be more expensive, but I think it would be worth it. I'd also avoid the newest ships which are often more costly, and do a lot of repositioning cruises which are less expensive.

I think it's doable, but it would be much different than living on shore.