Help...how often is Philadelphia Airport shut?

chemmo

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale, Florida....1am US time, 5 am UK time....

In all fairness AA and BA juggled us through via LHR, Dallas and on to MIA. The fact at the moment 2 out of 3 of our suitcases are missing still cannot take the smile off our faces that we are here!

Too tired to post more...

Sincere gratetude for all the great advice and wonderfully supportive messages....they really have supported us through a difficult day!

Couldn’t update sooner we have been running (literally) through terminals...

So glad you arrived after all this! Rest and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

Yay, happy you made it! I hope your luggage catches up before you sail.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, all....after only sleeping 4 hours we are wide awake (still in UK) time. Our luggage is presently mid Atlantic on the way to Dallas (expected there late afternoon)....We still have no expected arrival time for it to arrive with us. We will telephone later to see where it is up to.

On the positive side we do have a change of clothes! We also managed to book last night (at a king’s ransom cost) at the same condo we were already booked into for tonight. Being a condo we have an in suite washer dryer so can at least board clean and fresh.

We will go shopping later for some basics and hopefully a few extra clothes...If we don’t need them after all, who cares! Can’t face a mall, just too tired, our new clothes are likely to be tacky ‘I love Fort Lauderdale’ T’s!

Honestly, we can’t get too worked up about the luggage. I will be the least well dressed lady in Michael’s if it doesn’t catch up with us but we will have enough garments to stay clean if not glamorous!

For those interested in our saga we noticed the cancellation email literally as it came up. We were holding on the phone for ever to AA. When we finally got through I must admit they were really caring and helpful. They looked at flying us via almost everywhere....We made it very clear that our focus was ‘get us to Florida’ rather than to a specific airport. We were also willing to drop down to coach for internal flights.

Well they finally came up with (about 1am) Manchester to Heathrow, Heathrow to Dallas and then Dallas to Miami. First flight at 8am, really tight connection in Heathrow. Not good but the best they could sort so we went for it. When we got to the airport (6am) to check in there were loads of passengers unaware of the cancellation and we could hear snatches of conversations most of which started with ‘nothing today or tomorrow.....’

When we arrived at Dallas baggage collection we heard our name called...never good news! So that is our saga...Just so glad we have made it. I do wonder how many other cruisers may be struggling with the weather...just hope they are as lucky as we have been.

My glass is far more than half full....

Once again sincere thanks to all for their advice and good wishes....

Look out for a new post after we have boarded tomorrow...’Reflections on the Reflection’ sounds like a good thread title!

Edited by chemmo

Chemmo, I’m so happy you’re in Florida! We were rooting for you yesterday. I hope your luggage arrives before your cruise, but as you say, you’ve at least got some of it. I also hope your knee is holding up to the stress of mad dashes through airports. I’m envisioning you relaxing on your balcony tomorrow, drinks in hand, smiling! Meanwhile, I hope you’re able to get a bit of sleep. Cheers:)

Glad you made it over...that was very lucky considering the impacts of the storm on air trvl over past two days...we made it home from Fla on Tuesday..before all the madness began.

Hope the suitcases arive as well..if you need to shop, many smaller shopping centers have stores you can try as an alternative to big malls,..

Good luck and Bon Voyage! Enjoy that on board cocktail....

BTW,,..We got slammed overnight here....Long Island NY...we'll spend the day digging out!

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale, Florida....1am US time, 5 am UK time....

In all fairness AA and BA juggled us through via LHR, Dallas and on to MIA. The fact at the moment 2 out of 3 of our suitcases are missing still cannot take the smile off our faces that we are here!

Too tired to post more...

Sincere gratetude for all the great advice and wonderfully supportive messages....they really have supported us through a difficult day!

Couldn’t update sooner we have been running (literally) through terminals...

So glad you made it and hope your bags show up quickly. Have a great and well deserved relaxing cruise.

Just a FYI, Philadelphia had over 700 cancelled flights and it snowed until the wee hours of the morning. The Philadelphia airport is still trying to get up and fully functional from the more than foot of snow. Enjoy the warm tropical breezes. It sounds like you've got a great attitude and a healthy sense of humor.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I was so happy to read this morning that you made it to sunny Florida . i hope your baggage has the same luck.

Enjoy the day!! It's a beautiful day here in Sunny South Florida. A bit of a chill but the sun is out and shinning!:):)

So glad you made it! Another reason why I always have enough clothes to last me for at least 3 nights on a cruise - I can even do evening chic on what is in my carry on. If it doesn’t make it by the time you board let Guest Services/Suite Concierge take over.

Yay! Clothes are overrated! You’re in FL & will board on time. I’d think your luggage will catch up to you before sailing. One reason we always crosspack. Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chemmo,

As I noted in an earlier post, we got caught up in a similar situation in Jan. Yes, we planned to arrive early but...the storm came before our flight...and just like you mentioned in your latest post the word was "nothing available today, tomorrow..."

As soon as we mentioned to the AA reservation agent that we were cruising and a Sat flight was too late, the entire conversation changed and they worked with us. We had to drive from Philly to Wash DC but AA got us there and they also got our luggage there.

I can totally relate to how you are feeling right now. Ever so thankful to be in Florida and knowing that you will be there for sail away. If your bags should not arrive...that is minor. Your clothing will work out and this will definitely be a cruise that will go down in your memory books as one of the best!

Best wishes and safe travels!

Chemmo

So sorry that I did not realise that this was your thread. I have just managed to catch up.

So glad that you have arrived in Fort Lauderdale. Having transferred at Dallas ourselves and knowing how big it is I am concerned how you are after having to rush through. Please take care of yourself.

Your positive attitude throughout has been great and is the best way to ensure that your cruise will be a success despite your journey and lack of luggage.

Hoping that your cases catch up with you and you can put it all behind you.

Richard sends his love and we are both thinking of you both.

Thanks all, still ‘hit and miss’ about our luggage arriving on time...Regardless, we board tomorrow at 11ish!

Ironic really that we had received an email from the shoreside concierge saying they had introduced improved ‘Special Delivery’ luggage service for our cruise! I don’t think our one case will stretch them. I will report back how it works.

I have phoned Celebrity and let them know our issues.

Despite being totally washed today we did visit a local small mall and I now have a posh frock....if a girl has a posh frock she can cope with anything!

We have just cooked frozen pizza in our room overlooking the picturesque waterways of Fort Lauderdale....honestly too tired to dine out! Will make up for it in Tuscan tomorrow....Need to do my repacking soon.....hmmmm that won’t take long!

Thanks again to you all for your advice and good wishes!

Thanks all, still ‘hit and miss’ about our luggage arriving on time...Regardless, we board tomorrow at 11ish!

Ironic really that we had received an email from the shoreside concierge saying they had introduced improved ‘Special Delivery’ luggage service for our cruise! I don’t think our one case will stretch them. I will report back how it works.

I have phoned Celebrity and let them know our issues.

Despite being totally washed today we did visit a local small mall and I now have a posh frock....if a girl has a posh frock she can cope with anything!

We have just cooked frozen pizza in our room overlooking the picturesque waterways of Fort Lauderdale....honestly too tired to dine out! Will make up for it in Tuscan tomorrow....Need to do my repacking soon.....hmmmm that won’t take long!

Thanks again to you all for your advice and good wishes!

You have a great take on it all :). Glad it worked out overall. Hoping the luggage makes it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to hear you made it. I hope you get your bags but I always say all I need to get on the ship is my passport, credit cards and meds. Everything else I can work out.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Received a phone call 9pm to say our luggage was arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 11pm but they couldn’t guarantee to get it to our hotel for 10.30am tomorrow. The alternative was for us to collect.

Rather than risk a fiasco tomorrow better half and son took a taxi to the airport. They have just returned with luggage (midnight)!

One nice part of the experience has been contact with Celebrity. I let Zoey (shore side concierge) know by email yesterday we had a potential problem. She was ready and willing for me to phone her in the morning if we still had no luggage and to sort out necessary liaisons for us. So reassuring....

Keen to try the new ‘Special Delivery’ now we have luggage to deliver! Will report back on how good it is!

Sincere thanks again for support and advice over a few very trying days! Promise to dedicate my first Champagne tomorrow to all of you!