What are the basic medicines do you pack?

*MoonLady*

I started a list but want to make sure that I thought of everything barring extraordinary circumstances. :eek:

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Did I miss anything? We are lucky to not have Rx that are needed daily.

I am going to use a multiple pill container and label each box with the item with my label maker.

Acetominophen/ibuprofen; 12 hour nasal spray in case of cold; throat lozenges and cough med (It's wicked expensive onboard); pseudoephedrine. Zantac. Eat lots of citrus and drink juice and you won't need diuretic. Alcohol and caffeine are diuretics also. Sea bands for nausea. My sister has liquid benadryl and an epipen for buckwheat allergy. EM

Cough mixture, antibiotics , antibiotic cream, muscle rub, lip salve, band aids, antihistamines tablets and cream, steroid cream, something for foot blisters like Compeed?

Not sure I would carry all that, but you know what you're likely to need.

Medicines are very expensive onboard!

Cold sore cream if that's something you suffer from. Nothing like the sunshine to make your lips break out. :(

I use Zovirax. Don't know if it's marketed under the same name where you are.

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic This should only be taken on the advice of a physician
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid Bring one med that will handle gas + heartburn
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion Nausea and motion sickness can be treated with the same med, like Meclizine or Dramamine
  • pain Already covered by Tylenol and ibuprofen
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic Unless you are immunocompromised this should be unnecessary
  • cramps Already covered by Tylenol and ibuprofen

No need to pack and entire pharmacy. As above, certain meds are multipurpose. Dietary modification may be all that is needed for GI upsets.

I started a list but want to make sure that I thought of everything barring extraordinary circumstances. :eek:

• tylenolprofen-
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

I am going to use a multiple pill container and label each box with the item with my label maker.

I take Gas X and Claritn and hopefully do not need either

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Can't imagine taking so much! Basic pain reliever, heartburn/diarrhea meds plus all purpose first aid cream is all I take.

If you decide to take so many, suggest buying in single-dose packs that indicate what each one is rather than transporting and marking yourself. Would be concerned about questions from customs, TSA, etc. probably wouldn't happen, but it only takes one zealous officer to start looking at everything.

Also unless prescribed for a current illness don't know why you would need antibiotics. Shouldn't be taken without a doctor's authorization.

I pack what my husband calls my pharmacy. As mentioned, a lot of this stuff is very expensive, especially if you have to buy it on board ship.

I also take aloe for sunburn and anti-itch lotion/cream for bug bites.

Depending where we are going, I also take insect repellent.

I use a lip balm with sunscreen and take an extra toothbrush in case (GASP!) I drop mine on the floor.

Other than DH's everyday meds the only thing we ever worry about is Ibuprofen, Pepto tablets, liquid band-aids and a wound healing ointment. Everything but the Pepto we already carry around with us on a daily basis anyways in my purse and DH's lunch bag. Only other things I tend to bring is a heavy duty ankle brace (I can sprain my ankle walking on a flat surface..) and a light weight knee brace. Had to buy a knee one in port one time.... 3x the cost at my local store.

My husband has a sever allergy to Neomycin so we have to keep that on us just in case a language barrier comes into play if one of us gets a cut that needs it.

We used to pack a lot, but as we came home with almost as much as we were taking, it seemed pointless. I have gone with the theory now that I would rather spend 2-3x the cost on something we really need, then spend a normal amount and lug it back and forth and even watch it go back in the medicine cabinet

Your list is pretty complete and similar to what we pack if we're going on a longer cruise or somewhere that might not have easy access to a pharmacy in most ports. We started that after coming down with severe colds/sore throats on a 30 day cruise around Australia, where we spent most of our first 2 port days trying to find a pharmacy and find what we needed. As others have mentioned, the selection on the ship is very limited and expensive.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is some sort of anti-fungal cream (such as for Athlete's Foot); those nasty fungal infections can crop up on various body parts in warm humid climates.

What I haven’t seen on the above lists

Dental kit

Zicam powder

Pedialyte powder

Benadryl

The pills go into pill bags with their instructions on a small piece of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Gee I would take that much

But I’d have about 20 prescription medications to make up.

Ibuprofen

Pepto for tummy upsets

A course of prednisone in case my asthma gets out of control

My asthma meds

Pain reliever gel

Cold / flu remedy

Meclizine / sea bands for sea sickness

Bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment

Benadryl

That's it.

We always take a few lightweight rubber gloves. Never had to use them but you never know.

One other thing not mentioned is something for foot blisters. It seems my heels always bother me on a cruise and they are a lifesaver. Have a fun trip m

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did some organization today for our July cruise. We are famous for visiting Urgent Care whenever we visit Disney Workd so I don't go anywhere without a "first aid kit" so to speak.

What I've packed so far:

Eye drops

Nasal spray

Advil

Children's Tylenol

Pepto

Tums

Claritin

Band Aids of various sizes

Benedryl

Neisporin

Anti itch cream

Aloe

Seasickness meds

I plan on adding some Mucinex and the sea bands.

There may be more, but this seems about right.

I don't carry much of anything, except ibuprofen (I have back issues and live on that stuff at times).

Just 6 or so each. I always carry (as in my normal shoulder bag) chewable Pepto, Benadryl, Imodium, Opcon eye drops (helps with allergies) and Mucinex.

In my shaving kit, I include anti-itch cream, anti-fungal, and a couple of other things.

Edited by SRF

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Wow, that's a huge and (I think) unnecessary list. Not to mention some cover each other off -- Tylenol AND ibuprofen AND a pain medication??? Why all three (and what kind of pain med are you taking without a prescription that isn't Tylenol or ibuprofen)? Cold/flu meds and sinus meds and Tylenol and ibuprofen? Those things are all mixes of the same types of drugs (most cold and sinus meds contain Tylenol or ibuprofen). Don't take antibiotics or a diuretic unless you've been prescribed them for a specific purpose; it's dangerous to carry and self-prescribe them "just in case" when you're cruising and medical help is available. It's not like you're going backpacking in Nepal for a month.

I take ibuprofen, a short-acting antihistamine, and something for motion sickness. The first two I carry in my purse or knapsack everywhere, anyway. I also take a variety of Band-Aids and an antibiotic ointment (like Polysporin). That's it. (well, that's it in addition to my prescribed daily meds).

I would be leary of many cruisers and Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol. They are all the same, and combined with alcohol can cause severe liver damage.

Excellent reminder - a lot of people don't know the dangers of acetaminophen/paracetamol with alcohol. With many other meds, the worst alcohol will do is perhaps render the medication useless or make one vomit, but with Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, it can be really dangerous. Potentially fatal, if overdosed.

Excellent reminder - a lot of people don't know the dangers of acetaminophen/paracetamol with alcohol. With many other meds, the worst alcohol will do is perhaps render the medication useless or make one vomit, but with Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, it can be really dangerous. Potentially fatal, if overdosed.
In the UK, the maximum number of paracetamol you can buy in a pack is 16 and only one pack at a time.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

We take at least ten different over the counter medicines that are specific to our issues, so I won't list them. I think what you bring depends on where you are going. We tend to do longer cruises with maybe eight sea days in a row, so we pack more than many of you. If your cruise has plenty of stops in the Caribbean, Alaska, or in Mexico, you can easily buy what you need in port.

My husband has COPD and tends to get an infection on many of our cruises, so our doctor gives him emergency antibiotics. Antibiotics for the average person is not a good idea. I had my very first UTI (those nasty hot tubs) and went to the ship's doctor. The total was $165 for lab work, the visit and two medications. Our travel and medical insurance reimbursed me for everything.