Info Received Today re the Oasis Drydock

I wonder what other improvements will occur at dry-dock?

I can only make a wish list.

New IPOD docking stations??? Of course that is the only one I can think of.

Two weeks does not seem like a lot of time.

Sea Ya

thats a shame about the Viking Crown, but, last time we sailed her there never seemed to be a lot going on in there as with other ships, we spent a lot of time in the jazz bar instead in the evenings, but no sea views there.

Add me to the list of those who are disappointed in the loss of the VCL.:( I love that area on all ships to be able to relax in the comfort of indoors and watch the world go by. I will take a cup of coffee there and my laptop and work on my pictures from the previous cruise days. I am also sorry to see the chapel go away, It is another serene place. So beautiful on the Allure.:(

Moving the Concierge Lpounge to the Viking Crown makes sense I guess. They are going to basically turn all of deck 17 into a suite level enclave. All that will be up there will be Crown Lofts, some new suites, and the Concierge Lounge. I guess they're trying to create a separate area a-la The Haven on NCL.

I'm not sure I personally LIKE the idea, because I always enjoy the somewhat mellow Viking Crown. But that's probably the issue right there, it's a little quiet. Probably not generating enough revenue.

Has this information been confirmed by cruise line officials? I am by no means questioning that this is what the OP was told, but it seems that the scope of this work is a lot more than what is generally accomplished in a two week drydock. I know when they added the cabins and restaurants to the Navigator, they needed every minute of the month they were allocated, and then some. It also seems like if the Oasis was to be undergoing these kind of changes they would be promoting them, just as they have with all the other refurbishments.

the deck plans go out to 2016 and do not show any of this, but we all know how the website is.

No one said the vcl was being removed, I would guess since nothing was stated for 11/12 that maybe the cl would be the new vcl, with just a different view

We are on several weeks after drydock so along with thousands of others we will find out

Edited by setsail

I too, am a huge fan of the Viking Crown. It seems sad to have such wonderful venue, with great history, turned into something else. It is our favorite pre-dinner drink venue. I cruise with my 3 teenaged well behaved sons and we enjoy playing a few quiet rounds of cards there during our happy hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had read somewhere (maybe here on CC) ,that the Viking lounge was to be made smaller and the Concierge lounge was to take up some of the space created. I really hope they don't take it a way, that is always one of my favorite places and my next cruise is on Oasis July 15.

Has this information been confirmed by cruise line officials? I am by no means questioning that this is what the OP was told, but it seems that the scope of this work is a lot more than what is generally accomplished in a two week drydock. I know when they added the cabins and restaurants to the Navigator, they needed every minute of the month they were allocated, and then some. It also seems like if the Oasis was to be undergoing these kind of changes they would be promoting them, just as they have with all the other refurbishments.

Don't you consider a room steward a cruise line official? :D Just kidding! I have not heard or seen any official announcements from higher up Royal Caribbean staffers. You would think changes of that kind would be announced by Mr. Goldstein or maybe the VP of Hotel Operations.

I guess I would be one to miss the VCL, too.

But I can understand the thought to either eliminate or shrink it- it's barely used. On our recent cruise in July, there were very, very few people up there. The space could easily be used more effectively.

If they would put a bartender up in the VCL on Sea Days I bet it would get a lot more use, plus generate more $$$. I, for one, am hoping the room steward got it wrong and they are going to be using just part of the area for the CL. Although we did not get up there nearly as much on the Oasis Class ships as we do on the Radiance Class. I think a bartender on that class of ship during the day would be beneficial, too.

Not that I don't dis-believe what has been posted as I have seen similar posts from different people but does anyone else find it strange that they are going to add 40 cabins and they have not put any up for sale.

When the Navigator had her refurbishment I believe that those cabins that they added went on sale quite a while prior to the refurb. It's not like they are all interiors either. They are talking of eliminating the presidential suite. They are not replacing that with another suite that holds 14 people. How do you place those that that have already booked that cabin. What I had heard is that the RS was being eliminated and 2 new RS's were being added on deck 17 which would make an easy swap.

I suppose that they could be selling an additional 40 guarantee cabins for the next couple of months to ensure that these new cabins get sold but it just seems like a strange way of going about it.

Why all the secrecy? Just post the details of the refurb and the new deck plans.

I thought the VCL was a RC signature lounge on all their ships?? Also disappointed to see it go.

I'm sailing after the dry dock and overall I'm not thrilled with all the rumored changes. I wish I knew these before booking. I would have chosen the Allure. Oh well, maybe the changes will be better than I anticipate.

I tend to agree with everything you wrote. It sounds like maybe something they'd do with Oasis Class #3. If they really are doing this to Oasis in October, why are they not marketing all these new suites and cabins which will become available in just 3 short months right now?

That being said, I could see the VCL, Pinnacle Lounge and Chapel all being revamped to add the CL up there, but I can't imagine them completely removing the VCL for the CL only.

Guess we'll see...

If they are really planning on moving the wonderful, spacious concierge lounge on Oasis, I will surely miss it very much. I love the view and the little meals. It is one of my favorite places on the ship. Royal Caribbean decision makers would be taking away one of the features on Oasis that mean the most to me.

I am familiar with the Pinnacle Lounge and do not think it could possibly substitute for the current concierge lounge in any way, shape or form.