Is it time for Celebrity to rethink the Elite Cocktail Hour?

RickT

Does Celebrity need to rething the Elite Cocktail Hour?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Does Celebrity need to rething the Elite Cocktail Hour?

• No, it's fine the way it is.
    • Yes, it needs to improve.
    • Not sure, don't care.

Interesting observation from our recent Eclipse Holiday cruise. We've been Elite since coming over to X, from RC, several years ago. On this cruise, we also had the premium drink package. We took our vouchers and went to the Revelations (the old traditional "elite" lounge) a couple of times. We have always enjoyed the concept of the "elite lounge", as a place to meet and socialize with other Captains' Club members. Although, with the voucher system, Revelations is no longer "closed" to all but Elites. It's really just another lounge.

The first night in Revelations, everything was great: good bar service, hot and cold canapes, and the Hostess and a few ships officers mingling and chatting with guests. We returned a few nights later, to meet some friends for a drink before dinner. The place was packed, and it was almost impossible to get a drink. There was one frazzled cocktail waitress serving our area, who mixed up our friend's drink order. It was hard to flag down anyone with canapes -- and this was still early in the evening. The Captain's Club Hostess was nowhere to be seen, that evening.

After that, we left our vouchers untouched, and alternated between the Molecular Bar and the Martini Bar, for our pre-dinner cocktails. Although I do love the idea of the dedicated Elite lounge, with the new voucher system, I see that concept slipping away... :(

Edited by wwcruisers

We did the transatlantic, on the Silhouette, in April, and the lounge was packed every night. This was before the vouchers. The first night, I gave the waiter $10 and told him there would be more if the service was good. We sat in his area every night and we never had less than four drinks, in the time it opened at five and we went to dinner at 6. In fact we were never got much below a half a glass and he brought another. I think I gave him about $30 and we each had at least 50 drinks over the 15 days.

We did the transatlantic on the Equinox in September and this time we had vouchers. We sat at the bar, slipped the bartender a few bucks and had the same results.

We were told by several wait staff, that before vouchers, they got $20 for the two hours in the lounge, plus the measly tips they got because people think free drinks means no tips. I watched and very few people did indeed tip the staff. With the vouchers, they get a tip, but it's a hell of a lot less than the 15% the would get normally. They also said it's the same compensation for the drinks people get using a drink package. They make about the same amount of money they used to, they just have to serve many more drinks to get it.

Interesting observation from our recent Eclipse Holiday cruise. We've been Elite since coming over to X, from RC, several years ago. On this cruise, we also had the premium drink package. We took our vouchers and went to the Revelations (the old traditional "elite" lounge) a couple of times. We have always enjoyed the concept of the "elite lounge", as a place to meet and socialize with other Captains' Club members. Although, with the voucher system, Revelations is no longer "closed" to all but Elites. It's really just another lounge.

The first night in Revelations, everything was great: good bar service, hot and cold canapes, and the Hostess and a few ships officers mingling and chatting with guests. We returned a few nights later, to meet some friends for a drink before dinner. The place was packed, and it was almost impossible to get a drink. There was one frazzled cocktail waitress serving our area, who mixed up our friend's drink order. It was hard to flag down anyone with canapes -- and this was still early in the evening. The Captain's Club Hostess was nowhere to be seen, that evening.

After that, we left our vouchers untouched, and alternated between the Molecular Bar and the Martini Bar, for our pre-dinner cocktails. Although I do love the idea of the dedicated Elite lounge, with the new voucher system, I see that concept slipping away... :(

We had coupons on the Infinity last year but they kept the Constellation Lounge for Elites from 5 to 7. It was very nice being able to met friends and have a few drinks. It was busy but not real crowded.

I've been to one Elite cocktail get together. Never again

The wine by the glass sucks, and it starts and ends way too early for us.

I like the vouchers on transatlantics,..I can tip the bartender and get whatever wine they have by the glass at 7 PM,....or three glasses with vouchers.

I've been to one Elite cocktail get together. Never again

The wine by the glass sucks, and it starts and ends way too early for us.

I like the vouchers on transatlantics,..I can tip the bartender and get whatever wine they have by the glass at 7 PM,....or three glasses with vouchers.

Thank goodness!! I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who, being on late sitting for dinner, is no-where near ready for pre-dinner drinks at 5pm, or even 7pm for that matter. We generally get ready, and arrive at the Martini bar around 7.30pm, well after the latest time for the Elite gathering or to use the vouchers. I'm sure early diners think the timing is great, but if you're a late diner I just don't think that the timing is any good whatsoever.

Thank goodness!! I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who, being on late sitting for dinner, is no-where near ready for pre-dinner drinks at 5pm, or even 7pm for that matter. We generally get ready, and arrive at the Martini bar around 7.30pm, well after the latest time for the Elite gathering or to use the vouchers. I'm sure early diners think the timing is great, but if you're a late diner I just don't think that the timing is any good whatsoever.

Totally agree. We eat around 8.30 and don't want to start drinking at 5 pm. We have been elite for a number of cruises and have never made use of the vouchers as timing doesn't suit us.

We always have a premium beverage package which means we can drink what we like when WE like. I cam only presume that the 5-7 times are for our cousins over the pond. Even RCCL run their concierge lounge until around 8 which is much better for later eaters

We have late dining too, which is why the elite lounge doesn't work well for us. We normally don't get into our dinner clothes until much later. But with the vouchers, we like to meet up with friends at the Sunset Bar at five and enjoy a couple of drinks. Then, right about 7, I get my last drink, a glass of wine, which I carry back to my cabin while I shower and dress, then to dinner with me! It's not ideal but it works for me!

This was always one of my main dislikes of the program. We always had late seating and I didn't want to rush back to my room to shower and dress for dinner by 5:00 or 6:00. Requiring a dress code is part of the problem. Personally, I did like the gathering when it was in Michael's. We did meet and mingle with people and had a good time. Once RCI levels were matched the crowds got out of hand and there is just no intimacy to it anymore. People generally don't mingle much as the atmosphere of the lounge is just not conducive to it. I explained my thoughts on going forward earlier in this thread so I won't repeat here, but wanted to comment on this.

We are always either select dining or Aqua eating in blu. Our normal eating time at home is 7pm. We go to the elite event at 6...arriving as the early seating folks leave. I have no problem with the drinks that are offered, although I've shared many words with celebrity folks about bloody Mary's not being on the "menu" which IMHO is just crazy since I could mix my own with things on the menu. We enjoy finding new folks to sit with and chat. We have also been on voucher cruises and the plus is that you can take wine to dinner, if you don't mind the wine they are serving on the vouchers.

Ideally, the hours should be 5-8, allowing both early and late seating to have drinks just before dinner....but of course the extra hour is an expense...and the last thing celebrity would do in the current cut every expense environment. Perhaps this could be an elite plus benefit??

The current event is just fine, but I won't be upset if they go to an all voucher system, as long as they don't re-try the 2 vouchers per person they tried for one night on the eclipse trial. That was a disaster that almost caused a riot.

IMHO, The best plan for celebrity would be three or perhaps four vouchers per person (maybe 4 for elite plus) valid from 5-8.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ghstudio

We were told by several wait staff, that before vouchers, they got $20 for the two hours in the lounge, plus the measly tips they got because people think free drinks means no tips. I watched and very few people did indeed tip the staff. With the vouchers, they get a tip, but it's a hell of a lot less than the 15% the would get normally. They also said it's the same compensation for the drinks people get using a drink package. They make about the same amount of money they used to, they just have to serve many more drinks to get it.

gg,

I always wondered that (how they made up for not being in a regular lounge). I've always assumed that the servers in the Elite Lounge were "newbies" and they just lost out for two hours every evening. My wife and I always tipped three to five dollars every evening to our regular servers to help out. It's good to know they were given at least a small amount for missing prime time in the other lounges.

By the way, our favorite Elite Lounge server and our Asst' waiter both had college degrees. We try to get to know more about these hard working young people from all over the world. Their story can be, at times, more interesting than the small talk with fellow passengers.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I would suggest both a lounge and vouchers. Then, then Captain's Club Elite members are truly rewarded irrespective of their proclivity for vouchers or 'social' hour exclusively with other Elites. Royal Caribbean is doing it, so there is a working model Celebrity can check to see how it is working. DW and I LOVED the vouchers and the ability to sit at a bar and meet others and engage in a conversation. AS a side benefit to Royal, we were able to promote benefit of Crown & Anchor Club to others in real time. We also one night played trivia, while enjoying the benefit of our Crown & Anchor Diamond status. (For the record we have earned both Diamond and Elite each on their own merits vs the reciprocal arrangement the two lines have.)

On our last night on our recent Brilliance of the Seas cruise out of Tampa, the Crown & Anchor lounge at approx. 7:30pm was 10-15 % occupied. It's hours were from 5pm to 8:30 pm. Can not comment on what lounge occupancy was at 5-6 pm. I am sure it was busier. My guess is other than the limited selection and at times volume of food, over time, many will opt for vouchers as we most certainly would on most nights. We too like to meet and mingle with other Elites, but we like to travel with others who are not yet Elite, thus we skip the Elite hour and all the great socializing to be with our traveling friends.

Edited by shipshape sam

bloody Mary's not being on the "menu" which IMHO is just crazy since I could mix my own with things on the menu.

IMHO, The best plan for celebrity would be three or perhaps four vouchers per person (maybe 4 for elite plus) valid from 5-8.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you that Bloody Marys should be on the 'menu.' However, for you to mix your own would cost you 2 vouchers. One Voucher for the Vodka and 1 voucher for the tomato juice. If you order a soda, water, juice or booze, it is 1 voucher. However, you can have a mixed drink with soda or water and it is only 1 voucher. DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Yes, 4 vouchers valid from 5-10pm regardless. If they are giving you 3 or 4 vouchers, why limit you to a certain time period. It should be valid for that entire evening or for the entire cruise. They are just trying to reduce their costs and limit the use of the vouchers.

gg,

I always wondered that (how they made up for not being in a regular lounge). I've always assumed that the servers in the Elite Lounge were "newbies" and they just lost out for two hours every evening. My wife and I always tipped three to five dollars every evening to our regular servers to help out. It's good to know they were given at least a small amount for missing prime time in the other lounges.

By the way, our favorite Elite Lounge server and our Asst' waiter both had college degrees. We try to get to know more about these hard working young people from all over the world. Their story can be, at times, more interesting than the small talk with fellow passengers.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

As far as I am aware the waiters and bar tenders get so much per voucher or drink served in the lounge so that they are properly recompensed.

We like the Elite Cocktails. We never have a drink package because we 99% of the time book inside cabins, or after final payment 4-6 weeks before sailing, when there are no perks.

We also always have late dining, but most of our shows are scheduled at 7:00 PM, so we visit the lounge from 5:30 PM - 6:45 PM and then go to the show, then off to dinner.

If they want to change it they should mirror their sister RCCL and their Diamond Lounge which is one place RCCL is better than Celebrity. The lounge is open 5-8:30 PM.

We love the elite lounge. We have be on RCCL many times and like the way do it too. It is nice to have a change. My wife and I discuss this topic on every cruise and it really depends on the individual and who you are with. Hard to use when traveling with others. That is when you love vochers.

As far as drink packages, for the first time in Oct/ Nov on the Silhouette BTB we had the package for the first cruise and then second cruise we had regular benefits. We also upgraded one of us to premium drink package because my wife likes KJ Chardonay and house wine is not that good plus we could go to martini bar. While we enjoyed the package, with the elite happy hour there is no need to use that perk, give us the paid gratuities. Finally, we found that we drank one extra drink each night which we paid for the next day. We finally had to stop getting that extra drink after a few days. We are getting too old to drink that much. However in our younger days we would have loved the package.

One final note, even with the package we went to elite happy hour to meet and socialize. We just ordered an upgraded drink. That probably was the best part of having the package.

Please do not end this perk, it is really appreciated by all of us that travel with RCCL and Celebrity. If it ended, we would definately go back and cruise with Princess again and we have elite status there too.

I love the Elite lounge...

What is special about it is the SERVICE...not that the drinks are free...

I'd rather get the attention I get there than sit in a crowded bar with the other couple of thousand passengers on board waiting to catch the attention of a bar waiter...In the Elite Bar, they come refill my drinks quickly, they know my order...We make friends and have drinks together every evening...

Yeah, it is sort of "elitist", but, that's one place I don't mind being singled out like that...

Besides, even now with the 1-2-3, I end up passing on the drink package and just take the $300 OBC--because I don't drink more than about 2-3 drinks per night...and can get all I want during the Elite hour--during the day, I'm often off the ship...and then, it's the Elite hours, then dinner...If I want anther drink or two later a night (I've usually had enough by then anyway), I'll just pay for it...

Elite cocktail hour shouldn't be about free booze and free food, it should be about mingling and socializing.

If anything the change they should make is to make it a perk for Elite + and above, so they can consistently have it in a venue, and never have to do vouchers, so it can remain a social hour.

And there are plenty of people without drinks packages, anyone in an inside, OV, last minute booking, deeply discounted booking etc. I have had more cruises WITHOUT a perk than WITH a perk.

As far as I am aware the waiters and bar tenders get so much per voucher or drink served in the lounge so that they are properly recompensed.

This is my understanding. On my TA, I had purchased a drink package, so didn't need my vouchers, but went to elite hour in Reflection lounge where most gathered to use the vouchers. I chatted up my server and he said they get a gratuity based on vouchers they turn in, so I asked him if it was worth it for me to give hm all my vouchers for the trip, he smiled and said yes that would be great, so next night I gave him my remaining (unused) vouchers for the trip.

I'm just a regular guy, retired now after a lifetime of working. It took a fair chunk of that lifetime's earnings cruising to reach Elite status, none of which was via short cruises.

Please people, stop talking about eroding my hard earned Elite level benefits.

I want them to remain as they are or get better, so please talk up better benefits rather than talk down the existing ones.

Celebrity really does not need us CC folk suggesting how to make more cuts!!

I'm just a regular guy, retired now after a lifetime of working. It took a fair chunk of that lifetime's earnings cruising to reach Elite status, none of which was via short cruises.

Please people, stop talking about eroding my hard earned Elite level benefits.

I want them to remain as they are or get better, so please talk up better benefits rather than talk down the existing ones.

Celebrity really does not need us CC folk suggesting how to make more cuts!!

I agree 100%. This whole thread scares me.

I agree with you that Bloody Marys should be on the 'menu.' However, for you to mix your own would cost you 2 vouchers. One Voucher for the Vodka and 1 voucher for the tomato juice. If you order a soda, water, juice or booze, it is 1 voucher. However, you can have a mixed drink with soda or water and it is only 1 voucher. DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Yes, 4 vouchers valid from 5-10pm regardless. If they are giving you 3 or 4 vouchers, why limit you to a certain time period. It should be valid for that entire evening or for the entire cruise. They are just trying to reduce their costs and limit the use of the vouchers.

On the Celebrity menu it states Absolute Vodka, I have Bloody Marys all the time. the mary part is just a mixer like coke, club soda, or orange juice:)

i'm just a regular guy, retired now after a lifetime of working. It took a fair chunk of that lifetime's earnings cruising to reach elite status, none of which was via short cruises.

Please people, stop talking about eroding my hard earned elite level benefits.

Celebrity really does not need us cc folk suggesting how to make more cuts!!

amen!