Laptop vs Ipad vs Tablet

taylortime05

Hi,

I think I am always behind on latest technology. On our cruise in Dec we have Go Best pkg so me and hubby have unlimited internet.

I absolutely will not be spending a lot of time connected but will be able to use facebook to check in with my kids, possibly read a book, or my hubby likes to play solitaire before going to bed. At home we have our desktop computer.

I would like to buy something that is more portable and easy to take with us on trips.

Would you recommend inexpensive laptop, an IPAD or a tablet. I would like to keep cost no higher than 350.00.

Thank you for your feedback.

I used to always insist on travelling with a laptop. Java, Flash and a keyboard was the deciding factor in lugging a 17" gaming rig. For example on this forum, I can only embed videos with my laptop. I even pack a 15" USB monitor for additional screen space. My laptop allows me to edit pictures and videos.

In recent years, I got myself an iPad keyboard. More sites offer a mobile version, so the laptop is only brought for longer trips where I need java and flash. With two smartphones....I can stream videos of the local home news on the hotel wifi on the side as I worked on the iPad.

Edited by xlxo

I travelled with a tablet a lot. But writing on a tablet can be... So I switched to a tablet PC which has not Android but Windows 10 so I can use my regular Office programs. I´m writing my cruise review throughout the cruise. I´ve chosen a version with an SSD disk drive so I can also store my photos on the tablet PC. The advantage is that you have a keyboard but you can also click off the screen and use it as a regular tablet. It´s smaller than a regular laptop as it´s only 10in - like a tablet. Maybe the downside is that it doesn´t have two cameras. But actually I would never use my tablet for taking photos. Regular digital camera or my cell phone. And sorry to say, but I hate those people holding their tablet out and blocking my view so I can´t take a photo anymore.

Actually for reading I have my Kindle. Way better than any kind of tablet.

steamboats

My DW uses a MacBook Pro because of her work with photos. I used to use my IPad and now I take only an IPad mini. More than enough for us. I got the IPad mini as a deal when we purchased our new IPhone. I also use my IPhone in ports for surfing on shore when Wifi is available and also to take photos on and off the ship.

I would recommend an IPad mini if you also use an IPhone.

Hi,

Would you recommend inexpensive laptop, an IPAD or a tablet. I would like to keep cost no higher than 350.00.

At $350, your not going to get a great quality laptop, it'll be something along the lines of a Chromebook which doesn't have the full functionality of a traditional laptop.

I would go with a tablet if I were you as a physical keyboard doesn't seem like something you would be needing. If it were sending out e-mails for work or writing long paragraphs, typing on a digital screen becomes tiresome. Plus tablets weigh less.

As far as which tablet, is your phone an Apple or Android? If you have a lot of paid apps on your phone that you use, you'll want to stick with the same operating system or else you'll need to re-purchase the apps. Ipad's are usually on sale so you should be able to stick to your price point. Android tablets there are so many it'll be easy to find one.

I have a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 (9.7" screen) but my husband is using my older Tab S (10.1" screen). What I prefer about the Samsung over Ipads is that there is a micro SD card for up to 128GB extra storage that Apple doesn't have. . That means I can load it up with movies, magazines (Texture App) and books. It's super light weight and the battery lasts a long time too..

My phone is an iPhone but I have no trouble with the same apps on the Samsung tablet which is Android.

If what you listed (facebook and solitaire) are your main purposes, probably the cheapest route would be a Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. They range in price from $50 (I have this one, it is small, 7 inch, but would do what you want) to $230 for a 10 inch tablet. You could get one each and stay under your price limit. I enjoy playing games, and I find the ipad works better for me for that (but it is bigger than my 7 inch Kindle. However, if I'm concerned about weight, or battery lasting longer, and mainly want to read, I'll take the Kindle. My Kindle Fire only works on wifi, but my ipad has a data plan, so when not on the ship, I can use it anywhere my phone works.

I have an IPad (9.7" screen) and a Galaxy Tab S (10.1" screen) and a portable bluetooth keyboard which folds up and slips into a pocket in my carryon. Works with either tablet as well as my phone. I mostly use the IPad for teaching. And as BDL mentioned, the micro SD card capability is why I take the Galaxy for travel. I have about 100 movies I can watch during sea days which is especially nice on a Transatlantic. Heck, I even take along a small Bose speaker to use with the tablet for music or movies. Everything maybe adds 2 - 3 pounds to my carryon. For me, it's worth it. An IPad, Android-based tablet, or a Kindle Fire (amazon's version of android ;)) would all be within your budget. If you have an IPhone, an IPad makes sense; if you have an android phone, an android tablet or Fire. BTW, I read a lot and the backlit screen of any tablet tires my old eyes so I always carry a Kindle Paperwhite around in my purse (only weighs 7.5 oz).

We took our IPAD mini on our Equinox TA that just ended....cost under $300 for the version we bought and it was all we needed for email, Facebook and pictures..... and so easy to carry.... I see no reason for more unless you want to do more than that....

I have an older Samsung tablet and it's all I need for a cruise. I just fill it with books and I'm all set. Does great with Facebook too.

So, any of the tablets will work for you. The Ipad is usually a bit more than other tablets. No need unless you want an Apple product.

At $350, your not going to get a great quality laptop, it'll be something along the lines of a Chromebook which doesn't have the full functionality of a traditional laptop.

Yes, what he says.

I have to do some real remote work on the trip so that just meant flinching and going all-in MacBook Pro. Unless you are in similar straits I'd advise against, it'll singe the wallet and it's a chunk to pack if you won't exploit the capabilities; but if the employer needs an ad sent to a publication from the high seas I'm freakin' gold.

My normal rule of life it that freedom is never having to say "my computer can't", but many others don't have to do what I do.

I say a GOOD tablet, don't be cheap, and make sure you get something that will be rock-hard-solid connecting to wi-fi. Test drive before you travel. The Dell I used to use almost ended up overboard from a lack of cooperation in that dept. Choose for yourself but I like Apple, I know it costs more and I know Apple hasn't let me down. If the MacBook is slow, the ship's wi-fi is slow, but it's connected.

Good luck.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Do you have iphones, or do the people you wish to communicate with at home have iphones? What I love about the I products is that you can facetime and imessage with people back home over wifi. If you don't have any interest in connecting with other I products, then I agree that a kindle fire may be a good option. Def would choose a tablet (Ipads are brand of tablet) over a laptop for your purposes. Past that will just come down to what size you want, storage capacity (movies, or just books and a few games), features, etc.

Hi,

I think I am always behind on latest technology. On our cruise in Dec we have Go Best pkg so me and hubby have unlimited internet.

I absolutely will not be spending a lot of time connected but will be able to use facebook to check in with my kids, possibly read a book, or my hubby likes to play solitaire before going to bed. At home we have our desktop computer.

I would like to buy something that is more portable and easy to take with us on trips.

Is this something you want only for taking on trips, or will you be using it regularly after you return home?

The answer to that question should make a difference in how much you want to spend.

Many who just want a device to bring on trips, not for doing any serious work, are happy with the Amazon $49 Fire 7.

See this link

Fire - 7" Tablet at an Incredible Price

Pros and cons in review

G.Hulse's review of Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB

Do you have iphones, or do the people you wish to communicate with at home have iphones? What I love about the I products is that you can facetime and imessage with people back home over wifi. If you don't have any interest in connecting with other I products, then I agree that a kindle fire may be a good option. Def would choose a tablet (Ipads are brand of tablet) over a laptop for your purposes. Past that will just come down to what size you want, storage capacity (movies, or just books and a few games), features, etc.

We all have I-phones so it would be nice to be able to face time my 3 adults kids from the ship with Wi-Fi. I am considering sticking with apple I-pads but they do seem more expensive than the other brands of tablets. I am hoping for a great deal on black Friday.

I took a Chromebook two years ago. Why I did not send it overboard is beyond me. I purchased it the day before the cruise as my laptop died. I now have a mac. Mac is out of the price range I know. I think an ipad would work great but the thing I found other than just hating the Chromebook was that it did not pick up the signal well. My Mac does great. When cruising the signal may not always be the best from what we have seen so sensitivity to me would be crucial.

There is no one answer....but there are some reasons to get one over the other.

If you use FACETIME then you need to have an apple phone/tablet/laptop

If you use Quicken to check your investments/credit card bills...then you may want to have a laptop so you can run it securely rather than storing all the information on the internet

If you want to store pictures from your digital camera on your device as backup to your camera memory, then you need a tablet/laptop that has an SD slot....apple devices don't have these.

If you want to do any significant amount of typing, then you really need a separate keyboard....you can get a keyboard for any tablet, but it costs extra.

If you want to take your device with you on shore excursions so you have faster internet (or you are on a cruise without free internet), then you want something small and light....an ipad mini or other 8" tablet.

I could probably go on....

Personally, we take everything because we have a need for an ipad mini and a laptop....the ipad mini for shore excursions, facetime with kids at internet cafes, reading books....and a laptop for quicken, storing and doing some processing of pictures from my camera.

You don't need the latest/greatest ipad mini...anything beyond the ipad mini 2 will do what you need....and you don't need a fancy high speed laptop...but try to find one with long battery life, windows 10 and if possible, an SSD harddrive.

Hi,

God, I remember my Doctor saying take 2 tablets & call me in the morning. Never passed anything so painful in my life!