Clocks throughout the ship and in stateroom?

cruisetheworld67

I will not be bringing my phone on a future cruise (it is a cheap phone ....not a smart phone and will not work outside US) and I stopped wearing a watch a few years ago. I do not want to bring my current phone only to use it to check the time.

My question is: Do all the staterooms still have a clock on the nightstand and are there clocks throughout the ship?

My wife will be bringing her phone as she has a smartphone and has coverage outside the US but we will not always be together on the ship so that is why I ask. Thanks!

Clocks in the public areas and the Neptune Suites. Other rooms, no. You can set a wake up call on your room phone if you wish. We just take our regular watches for wear. We also have a a couple of cheap battery powered watches for daytime. My wife keeps one strapped to her beach bag. How cheap are these watches? Well, if you replace the battery, they'll double in value.

There are clocks by the Lido pool and the aft pool but not many others around the ship and none in the cabin. I have also found that the ship clocks are often not correct. The TV channel 40 has the Navigation data and ship time.

Suggest you get a $10 plastic watch on the ship or at home before you leave.

I only wear a watch on the ship and not at home so I don't miss any of the ship activities.

Edited by iflyrc5

I agree...bring a watch for going ashore. There are clocks at EVERY exit....so make note of the time before leaving!

There are ample clocks throughout the ship, so you really won't need to WEAR the watch onboard! And, you can get wake-up calls on the cabin phone, if you need one!

I need a watch on board so I know when the activities are that I'm planning to attend.

In the room there is the time noted on the phone display, not easy to see but it's there; the navigation channel has ship time.

You do what is comfortable for you, but I need a watch on board. And on shore. m--

I need a watch on board so I know when the activities are that I'm planning to attend.

In the room there is the time noted on the phone display, not easy to see but it's there; the navigation channel has ship time.

You do what is comfortable for you, but I need a watch on board. And on shore. m--

I'm with Maureen. I need a watch on shore - in port - I don't want to miss the ship. I usually buy one of the watches at the $10 sale. If someone wants to steal it in port it's no loss and they last for nearly a year. ;)

I'm just off the Oosterdam and after the first time change it took the clock in my Neptune Suite several hours to catch up with the new time. At the second time change a couple days later, the clock never did get to the correct time when we disembarked two days after the time change.

Only the Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites have clocks on the wall. But many times we have found them to be off a few minutes.

I wear a cheap watch for day time on and off the ship. In the evening I change out to a better watch. Also need a watch for the airports especially for those of us that have to do connecting flights.

I also back travel alarms -- one for each side of the bed.

I always wear a watch - old school** - but on international trips/cruises also bring a small battery-powered clock so I can check the (often changing) time in the dark.

** I find more and more "younger folk" (like my 35-year old son) are going back to wearing watches. It's just so much easier to look at your wrist than pull a phone out of a pocket....

I bought an inexpensive "Sharp" travel alarm at Bed Bath and Beyond (around $5). It's easy to reset for time changes and easy to set for wake-ups. I keep it in my travel toiletry bag next to my wine corkscrew when not traveling so I won't forget it on trips.:D

I wear my watch when going ashore so I don't get left behind :D

I bought a battery operated travel clock at Walgreens for about $5 on sale a few years ago for stateroom use. It had an assortment of buttons and gentle alarm sounds from nature, and settings were confusing to figure out, but once we got the correct time in place, we could press a button during the night for a low-light time display. (I dislike super-bright clocks that have to be covered or else they'll fill a dark room with blue light.)

My husband woke up in the middle of the first night to loud chirping and sprung out of bed looking for a bird that must have flown in from the balcony.

So now we use a watch.

I wear my fitbit which has a watch, and my husband always has his watch...for the stateroom I have a travel alarm clock I got from LLBean a few years ago. Its small and flat...when the cover is 'open' it stands on the nightstand. I love that just a small tap on it lights up the LED display so its easy to see at night.

I always bring a battery-powered clock for the bed stand that has a button to push to light up at night. Cruising is about the only time I wear a watch and agree with everyone about buying a cheap one so your wife can leave her phone on the ship as easily 'pickpocketed'. Maybe look for a watch like the old pocket watches but with a large clasp / carbiner for belts, straps, etc. if you do not want it on your wrist.

If you are anything like me, take a watch. I broke my watch band while boarding a plane for our last cruise and went without one. I felt lost without it, hated relying on my wife to know the time of day, I was at sea in more ways than one. The watches sold on board were the size of alarm clocks, way too big for my wrist. I'd have felt like Flavor Flav wearing one of the monstrosities. At least the Prinsendam's public clocks were all correct, we were on a cruise once where every clock told a different wrong time.

My question is: Do all the staterooms still have a clock on the nightstand ... ?
I can't remember normal rooms ever having clocks in them.

I've always tried to remember to bring a small travel clock to put in the room. But like others, I think that you will need to have either a watch or a phone to use as a watch.

If your phone doesn't roam outside the US, it's actually ideal because there's no chance of accidentally incurring roaming charges.

My cell phone doesn't work out of the country either. What I did to solve the issue was get a cheap unlocked global smart phone with a SIM card good in something like 200 country's

Europe and the Caribbean worked fine. Have two phone numbers UK & US, free incoming calls/text, outgoing text and call are about .35 cents ea/per minute. Plus the money in the account never expires.

Just another option if you want to stay in contact. Tbo don't wear a watch except for travel or on cruises.

I will not be bringing my phone on a future cruise (it is a cheap phone ....not a smart phone and will not work outside US) and I stopped wearing a watch a few years ago. I do not want to bring my current phone only to use it to check the time.

My question is: Do all the staterooms still have a clock on the nightstand and are there clocks throughout the ship?

My wife will be bringing her phone as she has a smartphone and has coverage outside the US but we will not always be together on the ship so that is why I ask. Thanks!

You will also find clocks in the stairwells. They change automatically when you cross a time zone an are quite accurate.

Buy a watch. BTW - it is a lot easier checking the time w a watch than w a phone. You just look at it - one step. With a phone, you have to pull the phone out of where you carry it, turn on the screen, then look at the time - 3 steps. Or else you have to ask someone else like me who wears a watch what time it is.

DON

All of the clocks are 'slaves' of the MASTER CLOCK on the Bridge. The Officer on the bridge resets from that Master Clock. To advance 1 hour, the half hands will take perhaps 20 seconds or so to resit. To advance one hour, the slave are stopped for a full hour. This usually when the night's events are completed say 3.30 am. Some ships the times are changed in midday, but the same Master Clock controls from the Bridge.

On old ships.... forty years ago and before the Navigation Officer, usually the Second Mate, will make of best decision for having a 'Clock Day'. Small book on the Bridge called the Clock Book. The 2/O will send a message out that says, "Clocks will be RETARDED One Hour Tonight". Then the Bridge Quartermaster had to go to all senior officers, Chief Engineer, Mate, Radio Officer, Chief Steward. In the officer's lounge a special notice board. For the crew.... written notice on the chalk board. By the mid 70s new ships had PA systems. Usually done at noon. The old Clock Book kept going years and years later.