Jewel of the Seas - Worried

Hi

I have booked a family holiday on Jewel of the Seas July 8th, 2018 for our family if 10. 6 adults and 4 teenagers. This is to be a holiday of a lifetime. We are from New Zealand. I have read some terrible reviews of this ship on Cruisecritic, ie bland lukewarm food, poor entertainment for families and run down cabins. I'm now very worried as we were hoping this ship would be wonderful for our family. We were hesitant in going on a 6000 passenger ship and thought the Jewel would be a better ship experience. I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks

Cheryl

Hi

I have booked a family holiday on Jewel of the Seas July 8th, 2018 for our family if 10. 6 adults and 4 teenagers. This is to be a holiday of a lifetime. We are from New Zealand. I have read some terrible reviews of this ship on Cruisecritic, ie bland lukewarm food, poor entertainment for families and run down cabins. I'm now very worried as we were hoping this ship would be wonderful for our family. We were hesitant in going on a 6000 passenger ship and thought the Jewel would be a better ship experience. I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks

Cheryl

I have to say the Jewel is my favourite ship and I love this ship and this class of ships. I admit I´ve not been on the Jewel for a while, but I can also say I´ve never seen a run down ship with RCI. I wouldn´t hesitate to go on her again. I don´t give much on CC reviews.

Having said all this, one of the reasons I love the Jewel (and mostly the smaller ships) is they are not as family firendly. I´m a single cruiser and enjoy an adult atmosphere. I don´t need and want all the family attracting bells and wistles. If you are looking more family friendly and with loads of activities for your teens one of the bigger / newer ships would be a better fit for you IMO.

Hi

Many thanks

Cheryl

Don't get to caught up in negative reviews. We sailed on the Jewell last July and it was in excellent condition throughout. The Windjammer buffet was also very good plus it has outdoor seating.

There were many kids of all ages onboard all seemed to be enjoying themselves and kept occupied. Although not quite as much to do as the bigger ships there was still stuff going on for them to enjoy.

Plus a holiday (vacation) is what you make it, not what someone elses opinion was.

Check out izumi for an amazing sushi experience.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We sailed on the Jewel in February and have booked it again for April, 2018.

We thought the ship was beautiful. Lots of glass, including the elevators! We thought the cabins were fine.

The main dining room food we did find subpar. The beef for example seemed like it was microwaved (beige colour..). But we loved the food in the Windjammer in the evenings. We felt it was a best kept secret! For example we had amazing beef brisket and lamb chops cooked on a grill right before you, fresh crepes and fixings for dessert...

We did not want to pay the upgrades for the specialty restaurants which I assume have better food than the MDR.

We had a port intensive cruise so didn't mind not getting dressed up and spending the time in the dining room at night. I know however others really enjoy that aspect of a cruise and looked at us oddly when we said we prefer the buffet at night.

If your teens are looking for lots of on board activities, this may not be the best choice. We didn't see lots of teens, the pool was small (as on all cruise ships), there is a small waterworks for younger kids, a mini golf course and a pool table.

That is my 2 cents!

You need to stop reading all the negative reviews and understand that some people just like to complain. You have booked a very port intensive cruise with a single sea day. There is plenty to keep your group of teens happy on the ship. Plus, they are likely to be exhausted from long days in port anyway.

We have sailed Jewel twice, its sister ship Brilliance once and have a cruise booked on Radiance, another ship in that class. That class of ship gets you into ports that some of the bigger ships can't because of their size. While not our favorite class of ship, we don't hesitate to book it if we want to do a certain itinerary. We have never had issues with food on Jewel, we actually think it has one of the best Windjammer buffets.

There is a small basketball court, arcade, ping pong tables and pool tables that should help entertain the kids. There are shows in the theater and lots of music and game show type shows in the lounges. We had no issues with our cabins, furnishing were fine.

Is there more for the kids to do on the larger ships, absolutely, but there is plenty on Jewel.

Don't second guess yourself or you are going to drive yourself crazy for the next year!

We loved the Jewel! This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like the cruise staff on the smaller ships work extra hard on the smaller ships to make up for the lack of physical activities. The ship itself was beautiful.

I think you have run into a set of unrealistic excitations on the part of some cruisers. I have the same problem with reviews of Empress of the Seas. I think too many cruisers equate cruising with the new mega ships. If a ship doesn't have 50 pools, mini golf, flow rider, ice skating, zip line and all the other bells and whistles, it's terrible. And if they know a ship like the Empress is over 25 years old, the only adjective they use is "old," as in "she's an old ship." The Empress is small, as are the staterooms a, and only suites have balconies. But it's the only RCCL ship that will fit in Havana harbor. If people do their cruise prep, they would know that. Our last 2 cruises (Mediterranean and Southern Caribbean) were on the Jewel and we loved her. She's a "tweener." She has a kids pool and mini golf but none of the other mega ship features. She, like all RCCL ships, are in great shape and there is enough for everyone to do, even my 10 year old. My signature page lists the links for reviews of our 2 Jewel cruises. Don't fret. Enjoy your cruise

Hi

Many thanks

Cheryl

It's partially about managed expectations, but I'm only going about 1700 miles not 10,000 miles, but this itineraries are port heavy and a big part of this experience. That said I before your trip I will be boarding the ship for the 3rd time. I've enjoyed both cruises and had wonderful dining on her in 2012 and not so great dining room service in 2014. I enjoyed the ship and the cabins noting that this was the only ship I've been on recently that still had really old CRT televisions in the cabin. (That is the only negative thing I would say about the ship and even that is 3 years old now and I know she has been in for rennovation since them. I will definitely be boarding her next spring, but maybe I'll watch more reviews.

Don't get to caught up in negative reviews. We sailed on the Jewell last July and it was in excellent condition throughout. The Windjammer buffet was also very good plus it has outdoor seating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I concur, while I have only been on Jewel of this class, I have overall found this to be the best windjammer in the fleet for both looks and good food. We didn't transport our formal wear on that last cruise and had to good dinners in the WJ on Jewel.

Jewel of the Radiance class is a great choice to do the itinerary (Western Med 7 nights) you have chosen...Don't be concerned with a few critics....I have no doubt this will be your holiday of a lifetime...Enjoy this time with your family!

Don't get caught up in all the negative reviews on CC. As others have mentioned they are usually comparing apples to oranges or just have unrealistic expectations. I know this is easier said than done especially with you traveling with your family from so far away. My wife and I sailed on her in 2013 on a southern Caribbean itinerary and we loved her. Cruising,for the most part, is what you make of it. You will be with your family in a beautiful area of the world on a gorgeous cruise ship... doesn't get much better than that. Enjoy!!!

I came back from the jewel yesterday. My first cruise. Would go again tomorrow if i could.

I especially likes Tides. Great food, served quickly and hot.

Sure a few things looked a little worn, but overall everything was great.

We absolutely love this ship. It's a good size, not too large and yet not too small. Don't worry about the negative reviews. I love the centrum and all the windows and glass elevators. I hope your family has a fantastic time!

OP, my advice is to stop reading ALL reviews. Go with an open mind and don't let the small stuff get to you (if there is to be any "stuff"!). Enjoy your cruise.

This! I've found that the majority of people who have wonderful times don't bother to write reviews - only the ones who have "issues" (legit or their own is up to you to determine) tend to make a point to do so, pointing out every shortcoming. And I agree with those who have said that some will compare the Radiance Class ships to the new Behemoths of the Seas and just see all that is lacking rather than what is there.

I have ONLY cruise Radiance Class with RCCL - Radiance in Alaska in 2015 and Brilliance for 12 nights in the Med in 2016 and I have Jewel booked for Greek Isles next summer - and it is as large as I care to go with them. They are beautiful ships with tons of glass and beautiful lines.

I am super excited and cannot wait for next summer to come!! I'm going to be on a beautiful ship with a good friend seeing beautiful sights! It's going to be an amazing trip!!

Here are the points to consider....

If you were cruising the Caribbean and had 3-4 port days and 3-4 at sea days I would easily say choose an Oasis class ship for your teenagers to enjoy more activities. But this is a 7 night Mediterranean cruise with 6 ports so you will not have as much down time to hang out around the ship. Are you planning to spend most port days doing full day excursions? If so, the ship is less important.

While we love the larger Oasis class ships, we did a 12-night Scandinavia and Russia cruise on the Jewel back in 2008 and had an awesome trip. We did the 7-night Mediterranean cruise on the Liberty in 2011 and agian it was outstanding.

Wow Factor: I see the Symphony of the Seas is also in the Mediterranean next July. If this is really going to be the "holiday of a lifetime" you may want to consider switching to the Symphony. There really is a lot more to do onboard for teens and the Oasis class ships definitely are incredible. A big difference is the quality of the shows - much better (and more of them) on Oasis class ships. My teenage son loved spending hours at the FlowRider surf simulator.

As for being hesitant to go on a 6000 passenger ship, we always feel less crowded on the Oasis class ships than on the smaller ships. Yes, there are more passengers but there is also a lot more open space to spread out on the larger ships.

Don't worry - you will have an incredible and memorable cruise no matter which you choose.

But it's the only RCCL ship that will fit in Havana harbor.

Not quite - Vision class ships would fit and both Carnival and NCL are starting to or will use bigger ships on the Cuban itineraries.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

OP...The Jewel is our favorite RC ship. We would never book or not book a cruise, ship or itinerary based anyone else's opinions (reviews).

Exactly! If I would have went off reviews (and there were a lot of bad ones) about Sovereign of the Seas which was my 1st cruise I would have never taken that 1st cruise! I thought what am I getting myself into. We went anyway and had the time of our lives and have been cruising ever since! It was nothing like the may bad reviews I had read. Our 2nd cruise on Serenade was a lot of the same stuff as Sovereign and after that cruise I said I refuse to go by the All negative reviews and make my own determination good or bad. I have not been on one yet where everything is as bad as some of these reviews are saying or these All the food on the ship is bad no matter where you eat!

Jewel of the Seas was the worst cruise I ever took. Food was subpar, service was substandard.

Would I go on the Jewel of the Seas again, definitely. Why? Because each cruise is unique. I've been on enough cruises to know that.

This was my first Royal Caribbean cruise and it failed miserably. If my view was narrower, I would never have gone back to Royal Caribbean. But I have, I'm leaving on the Grandeur in 2 days. I have another one on the Navigator next year. Even though Royal Caribbean has the dishonor as "worst cruise experience ever", Royal Caribbean also (as of 2014) holds the honor of "best cruise experience ever" (Grandeur).

These reviews are usually about things that will change. Food, depends on supply. Sometimes, they get subpar food. Service. Crews change out frequently. Ship. Ships get upgraded. Passenger base. They change every cruise. Entertainment, they change fairly frequently. So if you take a static bad review, look for the things that may/could change, and you'll realize that those negative reviews are based on factors that may not come to light for you. Also, people who write negative reviews, usually embellish to make it seem way worse than it really is. Even the dreaded poop cruise on Carnival, was over-hyped and many passengers stated that.

Jewel of the Seas was the worst cruise I ever took. Food was subpar, service was substandard.

Would I go on the Jewel of the Seas again, definitely. Why? Because each cruise is unique. I've been on enough cruises to know that.

This was my first Royal Caribbean cruise and it failed miserably. If my view was narrower, I would never have gone back to Royal Caribbean. But I have, I'm leaving on the Grandeur in 2 days. I have another one on the Navigator next year. Even though Royal Caribbean has the dishonor as "worst cruise experience ever", Royal Caribbean also (as of 2014) holds the honor of "best cruise experience ever" (Grandeur).

These reviews are usually about things that will change. Food, depends on supply. Sometimes, they get subpar food. Service. Crews change out frequently. Ship. Ships get upgraded. Passenger base. They change every cruise. Entertainment, they change fairly frequently. So if you take a static bad review, look for the things that may/could change, and you'll realize that those negative reviews are based on factors that may not come to light for you. Also, people who write negative reviews, usually embellish to make it seem way worse than it really is. Even the dreaded poop cruise on Carnival, was over-hyped and many passengers stated that.

To expound on this, even a day on a bad cruise is infinitely better than a day at work.